Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

I’ll echo what everyone else is saying, Taylor and his agent royally Blanked this up. Ballard and Irsay both have a tendency to overpay their own guys stemming from decades ago. If he would have kept his head down and had a decent year then he would have ended up being the highest paid RB to date. The timing absolutely couldn’t have been worst either. Like they saw what was going on with Jacob’s Elliot, Cook and Barkley so why did they think anything was going to be different? Especially with that much talent sitting there begging to be paid. He really was turning into an all time favorite to me. I wish someone could get into his head and fire his agent.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

Taylor fired his agent after that and hired Kawa, presumably specifically to do this.

Per Holder, JT's aw-shucks good guy persona is all just a PR campaign.

I'm so bummed. I loved this dude and thought he was a legit role model for kids (turned down Harvard, etc).

I think holder meant the nice guy thing in regards to this contract issue.  ie. He was taking the reasonable approach and when that didn’t work, he changed tactics.  I don’t think he meant that JT walks around with a false front all the time.

Maybe JT is a walking lie with his persona but I don’t think that’s what holder was implying here.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Seemed like the Chargers had our number as well, outside of that we were damn near unstoppable.

I think we beat them pretty good in them playoffs a couple times IIRC.  I dont remember the losses but I’m sure they occurred.

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What other positions should he play?  

Also,  I don't think he should get extended.   I was responding to a poster that said players only want money and have no loyalty.   Why would a player have loyalty to a team they didn't grow up rooting for.   

When you or I get a job we are there for the money.  I don't have loyalty to the company.   If I'm offended more money and it fits what I'm wanting to do,  I'm taking it.   

I agree with this totally BB.  Loyalty is a fan thing.  These guys are earners.  I would be if I were them too.

15 hours ago, CoachLite said:
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think the agent is leading Taylor.  I think he’s speaking for Taylor and Taylor is leading himself right now.  To Irsay’s credit he doesn’t seem to be taking this personally and I really believe he wants Taylor out there for the Colts this year and if he performs well will offer him a fair contract to keep him.  It’s just not happening on the timeline Taylor wants and it probably won’t be for the amount he wants.

. The natural tendency is to overestimate its (your) worth in a competitive marketplace, but that gets established by whatever someone is willing to pay (or overpay). Examples: the stock market and the real estate market. If you over-estimate your worth, you can lose a fortune and your reputation. If you underestimate, you leave money on the table. That's life.

I totally agree.  I don’t think JT is being led around by the nose.

People are putting all kinds of different possible outcomes here.  But the bottom line is Jim Irsay trades him, or JI pays him more, or he eats here, or he starves and adds a year until FA.

My guess is he will eat here but Jimmys a bit erratic so you never know with that guy.

I think he will fulfill his do

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I think we beat them pretty good in them playoffs a couple times IIRC.  I dont remember the losses but I’m sure they occurred.

Lucky you. I still have nightmares. We're 1-2 since the mid 90s.

They knocked us out in back to back years (08 and 09), divisional and wildcard respectfully.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would like to know if Ballard agrees with Irsay. Because Ballard mentioned having a new coach    and his injury In his presser I assume he agrees with waiting yo pay him.

Steichen would have sold them on his offense in the hiring process.

And they are smart enough to get it having watched the Eagles success.

Steichen does not need an expensive workhouse 2 down back.

He needs o-line and passing weapons. That is where the $$$ goes.

To repeat, the last 5 SB victories happened with low paid lead backs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

They were the Colts hoodoo team for a while there. Remember the Billy Volek game. For a while, I and many Colts fans feared the Chargers more than the Pats. Rivers and those guys were a nuisance. You knew they'd never win the SB but of all the AFC teams, I think they scared me the most. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

They were the Colts hoodoo team for a while there. Remember the Billy Volek game. For a while, I and many Colts fans feared the Chargers more than the Pats. Rivers and those guys were a nuisance. You knew they'd never win the SB but of all the AFC teams, I think they scared me the most. 

Yup. I was pulling for the Patriots when they played the Chargers the year we won the SB. I knew we could beat the Patriots but probably not the Chargers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yup. I was pulling for the Patriots when they played the Chargers the year we won the SB. I knew we could beat the Patriots but probably not the Chargers. 

It didn't matter with that team whether they were in San Diego or coming to Indy, home field was nothing to them in the rivalry. They mirrored Rivers disrespectful attitude. Years later, i can respect them now for how great they were. If not for the Pats, that San Diego team probably wins one SB at least. Brady and Belichick denied Indy the most but there were others who suffered from that dominance.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It's wrong to "attack" a player without a doubt, but it's appropriate to criticize their behavior. Sometimes those can be a fine line and fans just take it too far. Any job is open to criticism though, or at least should be. 

I think this could have been handled by the team and Taylor far better. Fan's aren't mad that Taylor is just attempting to "provide for his family".  That in itself is a little out of touch as even on rookie deals these guys are in top % of lifetime earners. I'm all for him getting a fair deal, when the time is right. Now is not the right time. Coming off a poor season for himself and the team makes the timing just feel ridiculous. 

Taylor's recent 180 is pretty jarring to a lot of people who are looking at this from the outside in. One minute he was committed to play out the contract, the next his tune changes big time. Can't fault the team for not accommodating his requests. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have no sympathy for a player making millions when someone comes out saying they are just trying to provide for their family. JT will make enough to provide for himself and his kids and grandkids on his current contract. These players need better arguments.

I can barely provide for just myself at this point let alone my family... So yeah, in this current climate with how bad the rest of us are doing financially it's a little hard to be that sympathetic for someone making money I'll never reach in one lifetime... 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

It's wrong to "attack" a player without a doubt, but it's appropriate to criticize their behavior. Sometimes those can be a fine line and fans just take it too far. Any job is open to criticism though, or at least should be. 

I think this could have been handled by the team and Taylor far better. Fan's aren't mad that Taylor is just attempting to "provide for his family".  That in itself is a little out of touch as even on rookie deals these guys are in top % of lifetime earners. I'm all for him getting a fair deal, when the time is right. Now is not the right time. Coming off a poor season for himself and the team makes the timing just feel ridiculous. 

Taylor's recent 180 is pretty jarring to a lot of people who are looking at this from the outside in. One minute he was committed to play out the contract, the next his tune changes big time. Can't fault the team for not accommodating his requests. 

yep. He has handled it poorly. Also sorry I am sick of the argument the guy is trying to provide for his family at 4.3 million a year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I can barely provide for just myself at this point let alone my family... So yeah, in this current climate with how bad the rest of us are doing financially it's a little hard to be that sympathetic for someone making money I'll never reach in one lifetime... 

yep. We need to stop acting like he is some practice squad player or undrafted free agent.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

yep. He has handled it poorly. Also sorry I am sick of the argument the guy is trying to provide for his family at 4.3 million a year.

I saw a report recently that for a family in America to feel financially comfortable they'd need a household income of over 200k... We are well and I mean well south of that! 

Good times....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I saw a report recently that for a family in America to feel financially comfortable they'd need a household income of over 200k... We are well and I mean well south of that! 

Good times....

Yeah in Indiana you certainly don’t need that much. Its just not relateable when a player making that much makes that argument.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah in Indiana you certainly don’t need that much. Its just not relateable when a player making that much makes that argument.

I'd say between 125-150k per household would be fine in Indiana. Too bad I'm south of that as well lol! That's the price I pay for teaching. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My question is this, is the difference between 4ish million and 16ish million a different lifestyle ? Even at 4 million, that’s a heck of a life style

It really isn’t. That’s why the argument is dumb about providing for family. They should just come out and say I deserve more money and just be honest. I do think there is still something weird with JT agent that we don’t know. Because this is all strange on Taylor’s apart. It almost does look like his agent is trying to get him to a certain team and may already have tampered.

Kevin Bowen goes into why Taylor might not fit into a Steichen offense or or at least a unknown. Some interesting thoughts here at the beginning of the podcast. He wonders where Steichen is on Taylor and this could be a reason for no extension.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kevins-corner-podcast/id1294483334?i=1000623193057

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin Bowen goes into why Taylor might not fit into a Steichen offense or or at least a unknown. Some interesting thoughts here at the beginning of the podcast. He wonders where Steichen is on Taylor and this could be a reason for no extension.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kevins-corner-podcast/id1294483334?i=1000623193057

You'd think Shane would customize his offense a bit to fit your #1 offensive player. And maybe he is or was going to. Who knows...

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You'd think Shane would customize his offense a bit to fit your #1 offensive player. And maybe he is or was going to. Who knows...

There was a post on twitter from a guy called honest NFL. He was a longtime Philly eagles scout. He had a good explanation why a guy like Taylor might not fit into a system with running QB. Being a scout with the eagles I think he has seen this with hurts and I thought his explanation made really good sense.

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My question is this, is the difference between 4ish million and 16ish million a different lifestyle ?

Probably not a huge difference if they are low key and buy things for good reasons.  The 16 might let them start blowing money on stuff for the hell of it though 

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Probably not a huge difference if they are low key and buy things for good reasons.  The 16 might let them start blowing money on stuff for the hell of it though 

Exactly. Which is fine but I’m with Chloe, let’s not act like some who think JT is missing meals and late on rent cause his salary is too low

• Like 4

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Which is fine but I’m with Chloe, let’s not act like some who think JT is missing meals and late on rent cause his salary is too low

Yeah the 16 mil is excessive.  Thats buying Bugatti's and popping champagne money, not taking care of a family lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly. Which is fine but I’m with Chloe, let’s not act like some who think JT is missing meals and late on rent cause his salary is too low

I mean... He's literally getting paid thousands upon thousands these past few days just to stand around...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Yeah the 16 mil is excessive.  Thats buying Bugatti's and popping champagne money, not taking care of a family lol

Yep, something tells me Franklin may be the next to do this. Which is why Irsay and the rest of the owners need to take a stand on this and not trade JT and force him to either sit out or play

• Like 3

I liked what Mike Lombardi said on Pat McAfee's show, that somebody posted earlier...

Lombardi says... Ballard should tell Taylor to only come in for medical treatment, then go home, that they don't want him hanging anywhere around the team sulking

• Like 5

Adam makes a good point here. Colts haven’t franchised anyone since Mcafee. Chances are they would of just let him go after the season or signed him to a extension. They probably would not franchise him. Also right thst both sides need to cool down and figure this out. Both sides need to compromise. Give Taylor a pay raise this year and add a extra two years. That wouldn’t break the bank. His agent had to be willing to compromise too. 

14 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I really believe a lot of the media just hate Jim Irsay,and particularly don’t care about Indianapolis and the state of Indiana in general.It stinks that Jim Irsay gets such a bad reputation because the man truly is a great owner who happens to be very passionate about the Colts and wants to win so badly.As a Colts fan I love that about the owner of my team.

Irsay gets a bad reputation because he has a long history of saying and doing wacky things. If he wants better media coverage he needs to act more professional - and quit tweeting some of the crap he tweets 

• Like 2