Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Assuming he is not injured, trade him. The guy stated that he doesn't want to play for the Colts. We shouldn't be holding anyone captive who doesn't want to be a part of our team. We sure did a good job of demanding a number one pick for him. Congratulations! That has left the Colts with what exactly? He is of no value to anyone sitting on the PUP list. Furthermore, the problem/distraction still remains for the team. Can't wait for someone to try to convince me that this was part of Ballard's master plan all along to make this team a contender. You know it's coming.

Well someone smarter than me correct me if I'm wrong.

You can't spend the entire year on the PUP right? So after 4 games if he doesn't want to play he will just be losing money because he's holding out..

5 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Don't get your hopes up, he'll blather about how they like JT, how they want him to get healthy, etc....

I also bet you that no local media will try to find out what's up with his "injury". They won't push Ballard into a corner and they won't make him say anything other than the weak claim that he's still "healing"

Ballard to his own faults is actually pretty honest.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You can't spend the entire year on the PUP right? So after 4 games if he doesn't want to play he will just be losing money because he's holding out..

You can but you can’t be traded while on PUP and you don’t gain a year vested which will hurt him getting to free agency.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think he would then go on IR and miss the season. He would still get paid if colts think he is really injured.

• Thanks 1

Assuming he is not injured, trade him. The guy stated that he doesn't want to play for the Colts. We shouldn't be holding anyone captive who doesn't want to be a part of our team. We sure did a good job of demanding a number one pick for him. Congratulations! That has left the Colts with what exactly? He is of no value to anyone sitting on the PUP list. Furthermore, the problem/distraction still remains for the team. Can't wait for someone to try to convince me that this was part of Ballard's master plan all along to make this team a contender. You know it's coming.

I’m playing my 2 favorite songs right now!

Kool and the Gang - Celebrate Good Times!

U2 - With or Without You!

Absolutely ecstatic that our Leadership did not buckle to this Shakedown!!

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You can but you can’t be traded while on PUP and you don’t gain a year vested which will hurt him getting to free agency.

pretty much his choices are to play his way into a new contract, or lose money.  Seems like an easy decision to me but for some reason him and his agent wants to make this harder.  

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You are correct. Again how does this benefit the Colts? We taught Jonathan Taylor a lesson? We got nothing unless he steps off the sideline. Just what we want, a reluctant player punching the clock for six games so he can get credit for the season, and then bolt out the door at the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

If Taylor wants to resurrect his career, he will demonstrate his ability to come off the PUP and play lights out for the Colts this year. I don't expect the Colts will extend or tag him, and he can become some other team's problem.

Contracts can be your best friend, or your worst nightmare.

34 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't understand putting him on PUP..... Like, at all at this point...... If he is hurt ...how was a trade gonna work?

JT isn’t hurt.. well he’s butt hurt but that doesn’t count for the PUP does it?

He’s just faking injury out of spite at this point. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Assuming he is not injured, trade him. The guy stated that he doesn't want to play for the Colts. We shouldn't be holding anyone captive who doesn't want to be a part of our team. We sure did a good job of demanding a number one pick for him. Congratulations! That has left the Colts with what exactly? He is of no value to anyone sitting on the frickin PUP list. Furthermore, the problem/distraction still remains for the team. Can't wait for someone to try to convince me that this was all a part of Ballard's master plan to make this team a contender. You know it's coming.

He’s also of no use to anyone if he won’t play on his current contract.  This entitled…man?…is going to earn $4.2MM pretending to be hurt.  And also somehow complain that he’s underpaid on the PUP.  Reminds me of people who use all of their sick leave, even though everyone knows they’re 100% healthy…

• Like 1

You are correct. Again how does this benefit the Colts? We taught Jonathan Taylor a lesson? We got nothing unless he steps off the sideline. Just what we want, a reluctant player punching the clock for six games so he can get credit for the season, and then bolt out the door at the end of the year.

It’s not that easy.  First he can stay on pup all year and then he doesn’t become a free agent at season’s end.  

Second Taylor wants to get paid and the only way that’s going to happen from any team is if he performs on the field.  If he doesn’t no one is going to pay him.  

Third the Colts can tag him if they wish at year’s end.  The Colts still really hold all the cards here and Taylor’s only path to getting what he wants is going to be proving he can still play at a high level and the Colts have made it pretty clear that they are going to make him do that for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If JT doesn't want to play for the Colts, then I would do this, put him on PUP for the year.  He loses his vested year and remains on the rookie contract for next year, then do it again until JT proves he actually wants to play ball.  Personally, I'm tired of seeing these athletes make dumb demands with no leverage and then act like they are being disrespected.  I didn't like Eli Manning saying where he wanted to be drafted, I didn't like when Elway did it, it is a privilege to play in the NFL.  If you don't like or want to play in a particular city, then play out your contract in good faith and hit FA.  THEN you pick where you want to play.  And you gain respect, instead of losing fans.  JMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Archer said:

He’s also of no use to anyone if he won’t play on his current contract.  This entitled…man?…is going to earn $4.2MM pretending to be hurt.  And also somehow complain that he’s underpaid on the PUP.  Reminds me of people who use all of their sick leave, even though everyone knows they’re 100% healthy…

I thought I read that PUP players are paid at 50percent, let me go find it

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’m playing my 2 favorite songs right now!

Kool and the Gang - Celebrate Good Times!

U2 - With or Without You!

Absolutely ecstatic that our Leadership did not buckle to this Shakedown!!

I get the whole we taught Jonathan Taylor a lesson ideaology....but how does that help the Colts right now?

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I thought I read that PUP players are paid at 50percent, let me go find it

PUP is 100%

IR can be lower depending on language in the contract, if salary isn't guaranteed. If salary is guaranteed they get all that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We have some terrible reporters here in Indy. Irsay never said this. He simply mentioned a agreed upon by both sides CBA. He is such a terrible reporter. Just like he calls a concussion a brain injury for clicks.

Think I saw he unliked the post?

Just another rash decision by him....

Edit, thought this was post about him liking the held hostage post.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s not that easy.  First he can stay on pup all year and then he doesn’t become a free agent at season’s end.  

Second Taylor wants to get paid and the only way that’s going to happen from any team is if he performs on the field.  If he doesn’t no one is going to pay him.  

Third the Colts can tag him if they wish at year’s end.  The Colts still really hold all the cards here and Taylor’s only path to getting what he wants is going to be proving he can still play at a high level and the Colts have made it pretty clear that they are going to make him do that for them.

I understand all of those things, I really do, but none of them help this team right now. Do we really want to tag a player who sits all year so we can go through all this drama with him again next season? Maybe we can teach him a lesson next season by refusing to trade him. Then we will have made our point two offseasons in a row, how cool would that be? (saracasm if you cant tell)

Just now, philba101 said:

I understand all of those things, I really do, but none of them help this team right now. Do we really want to tag a player who sits all year so we can go through all this drama with him again next season? Maybe we can teach him a lesson next season by refusing to trade. Then we will have made our point two offseasons in a row, how cool would that be? (saracasm if you cant tell)

How does trading him for a low ball offer help make the team better right now?

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

How does trading him for a low ball offer help make the team better right now?

Depends what you trade him for. If we could have gotten a draft pick and Jeff Mostert from the Dolphins then you take it. Right now our expected #1 RB is Zach Moss. Moss is coming off a broken arm, has never played more than 13 games in a season, and never topped 456 yards in a season. 

My opinion is all of these owners have seen what the NBA has become with the players having to much leverage and are determined to keep power. Whether, it be Taylor or Chris Jones the owners are playing hard ball and basically telling players you can be happy making more money than most people will see in their lifetime and honor your contracts with your current team or not play. Taylor for better or worse is being made an example of by Irsay or to a lesser extent owners.

What's funny is the players may not realize it now, but there is a chance that the hardball the owners are playing is for the players own good. One of the reasons the NFL is so popular is because every team has equal chance currently under current structure. If the players force that structure away the NFL's popularity might suffer and they lose $$$ also. 

Rough situation for all, but the NFL owners feel strong and want to maintain control of their league. That is the bottom line and depending on how the fans feel, they may be right given it is most popular sport in the country.    

• Like 1

How about this:

"Hey Taylor, you want to get paid more than $4 million? Then practice starting tomorrow and play week 1. Otherwise, if you decide to rot away on PUP all season, that will automatically extend your rookie deal another year thru the 2024 season and you'll get paid $4 million again next year. We will then slap the franchise tag on you in 2025 and will neither extend nor trade you during the time period stated above. It's 100% your decision! Have a great evening. Sincerely, CB"

• Like 2