Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Did these posts answer your question?

It did. Thanks. I did not completely understand it, but I did not want to get into a back and forth with you.

You asked questions like "Does he create...", "Does he fumble more..." to explain your opinion. If that is a way of saying that he fumbles more or does not create, you did not back it up with stats. (Perhaps you did in previous posts.)

I understand your other points in other posts. 

Enjoy the game.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like the Vikings but was pointing out that it is not just JT that deserves at least a reasonable contract. I think Cook should as well. 

Understood :) that context.

Yeah, am not liking the current situation at all.. Cook probably didn't even demand top money, I believe.. they could have made a short term deal around 10 million, with voidable years.. he's one guy who has not lost the step and has couple of good years left in the tank, which now would not benefit us. Absence of his big plays will leave the void clear that not any other RB could replicate consistently. Am not looking forward to this season, at least hope it all leads to better decisions going forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

It did. Thanks. I did not completely understand it, but I did not want to get into a back and forth with you.

You asked questions like "Does he create...", "Does he fumble more..." to explain your opinion. If that is a way of saying that he fumbles more or does not create, you did not back it up with stats. (Perhaps you did in previous posts.)

I understand your other points in other posts. 

Enjoy the game.

Sorry for the long post...

A back and forth never starts unless a post starts off with a disrespectful or unpolite quote.  I've been the victim of that for years here.  Yours was polite, so no chance of a back and forth...just a discussion.  But I give back exactly what I get, and always will.  I hope any observer would see who starts it and acts accordingly in whatever role they have.

I don't know if JT fumbles more or less. but my point to the post that talked about the big runs he has as part of supporting a new contract, the fumbling part would be the "other stuff" that gauges how much he contributes to the game beyond the big run.  Of course, a fumble being a big negative contribution.  I have read posts here that suggest he fumbles in crucial situations, so I would just assume he's average.  But an elite-money back should fumble less, IMO.  But no, I wasn't saying indirectly that he fumbles a lot, but it seems to have enough mass that its a concern.

If you read my other posts, I don't value internet credentials much.  I loved the days when we used to go to libraries and read Encyclopedia Britannica as a solid source of information.  Great credentialed material.  So much of the internet stuff seems it has promotion or click bait at its root, so its kind of amusing to call it fact.  Libraries and the EB didn't have to advertise to get people to use their information.

I doubt that Kevin Bowen uses an understanding of the Wisconsin offense to form an opinion about JT.  But I think its helpful to know about it.

As far as stats, I put stats in the bucket of something credentialed.  I never cite them as "facts", because they are not.   The facts are the inputs into the algorithm.  The stats are only the output of the algorithm.   Algorithms have limitations, so they never tell the whole story.

I work with stats every day in my profession and know what they are.  The algorithms that spit out stats can only process information that has a high degree of uniformity.  Stat algorithms hate idiosyncrasies.  Football games are full of idiosyncrasies.  Each play is different than before, with different matchups between teams, and that's not accounting for injuries from time to time.

Stats in football are the root of the betting world and the game of fantasy football.  From my perspective, they are not very good at explaining what's happening.  The human eye and judgment is better.  

Its been upsetting to read posts that say my post is ignorant because it lacks the stuff they consider to be facts...like internet links and stats...especially when they are written in a confrontational and impolite tone.. 

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A back and forth never starts unless a post starts off with a disrespectful or unpolite quote.  I've been the victim of that for years here.  Yours was polite, so no chance of a back and forth...just a discussion.  But I give back exactly what I get, and always will.  I hope any observer would see who starts it and acts accordingly in whatever role they have.

I don't know if JT fumbles more or less. but my point to the post that talked about the big runs he has as part of supporting a new contract, the fumbling part would be the "other stuff" that gauges how much he contributes to the game beyond the big run.  Of course, a fumble being a big negative contribution.  I have read posts here that suggest he fumbles in crucial situations, so I would just assume he's average.  But an elite-money back should fumble less, IMO.  But no, I wasn't saying indirectly that he fumbles a lot, but it seems to have enough mass that its a concern.

If you read my other posts, I don't value internet credentials much.  I loved the days when we used to go to libraries and read Encyclopedia Britannica as a solid source of information.  Great credentialed material.  So much of the internet stuff seems it has promotion or click bait at its root, so its kind of amusing to call it fact.  Libraries and the EB didn't have to advertise to get people to use their information.

I doubt that Kevin Bowen uses an understanding of the Wisconsin offense to form an opinion about JT.  But I think its helpful to know about it.

As far as stats, I put stats in the bucket of something credentialed.  I never cite them as "facts", because they are not.   The facts are the inputs into the algorithm.  The stats are only the output of the algorithm.   Algorithms have limitations, so they never tell the whole story.

I work with stats every day in my profession and know what they are.  The algorithms that spit out stats can only process information that has a high degree of uniformity.  Stat algorithms hate idiosyncrasies.  Football games are full of idiosyncrasies.  Each play is different than before, with different matchups between teams, and that's not accounting for injuries from time to time.

Stats in football are simply a way to create a betting league around fantasy football.  Somehow, folks try to use stats to try to explain what's going on.  I chuckle when I read posts that call them facts. 

I get down right angry when they tell me....impolitely....that my post is ignorant because it lacks the stuff they consider to be facts...like internet links and stats. 

Okay, I get what you are saying. One can make stats look anyway they want. Stats by themselves do not tell the whole story. For example, someone may point out how few interceptions a QB has thrown but it does not say how the QB is playing.  Some quarterbacks may appear to have low numbers of INTs, but it may be because they do not throw much. 

Having said that, I think stats have a place in evaluating players but it cannot be the only factor used to evaluate a player. I will write more later, as I want to watch these games. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stats in football are simply a way to create a betting league around fantasy football.  Somehow, folks try to use stats to try to explain what's going on. 

Its upsetting to read impolite posts that say my post is ignorant because it lacks the stuff they consider to be facts...like internet links and stats. 

I stopped reading at "I've been a victim"   🤣

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very very few.    And since you understand it’s unprecedented for RBs, what’s the debate here then?     

Gotta give him something if it's not RB market changing money or else why waste a second round pick in the first place

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

You mean besides the fact you can get 75-85% of his performance for 25-40% of the cost?

So you suggested a 3 years and 40 mil fully guaranteed, what if he wants 14 per year? 15? 16? More? All of it fully guaranteed?

What if Ballard thinks his value is 11 per year? What if he only wants to guarantee half?

Overpaying for any position is a bad move and top RBs haven’t won super bowls in a long time. 

Show me two backs combined that can get 1800 yards and 18 tds 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Gotta give him something if it's not RB market changing money or else why waste a second round pick in the first place

Of course we gotta give him something.   I’ve never suggested anything else.   

The question are….

How much?

How many years?

How much is the signing bonus? 
How much are the total guarantees.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, its impolite posts like yours that causes recipients to be the victim.  Example cited.

Anyone can feel like a victim. How do you think I feel when I am being positive about things that the team is doing and get bashed for it on a Colts website. Look at that side of it. That is why I get upset at times and people wonder why I can't always be Mr. Nice guy which I am 99% of the time.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:06 PM, csmopar said:

How people are blaming Irsay is beyond reasonable thinking. RBs are a devalued position with short career spans. I was here when we traded Faulk, let Edge walk, people said the same crap back then and yet it works out. Irsay knows what he’s doing as does Ballard and as painful as it is, they’re doing the right thing for the TEAM long term. 

Been on vacation.  I did say the market is the market.  I am not blaming Irsay for the RB market.  I am saying the guy is past his prime as owner and his final years might suck more and more as we go forward.  I think his weighing in with the RB situation was unnecessary, it would have been better to let the people he pays to work with Taylor's representation instead of weighing in and making it personal and alienating a player who is crucial to us this season.

Way I see it he's had his fingers in more things than just the RB situation of late.  And I am feeling more and more like the guy is not benefitting us overall from that owner chair.  If you disagree, I am fine with that as always.  But as I see it the next five years or so for the Colts isn't particularly bright and Irsay is part of that take.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course we gotta give him something.   I’ve never suggested anything else.   

The question are….

How much?

How many years?

How much is the signing bonus? 
How much are the total guarantees.

I meant something different then other backs. 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Anyone can feel like a victim. How do you think I feel when I am being positive about things that the team is doing and get bashed for it on a Colts website. Look at that side of it. That is why I get upset at times and people wonder why I can't always be Mr. Nice guy which I am 99% of the time.

I've never really known you to be not nice...at least when as an initiator of engagement...maybe after someone took shot at you...of course.

At least you do not sweep in out of the blue to engage other posters with immediate impoliteness.  Being an expert at fooling many by disguising his personal shots at posters by how he crafts his comments.....and getting away with it for years.  

@Restinpeacesweetchloegot abused with repeated impolite comments last year.  And I think some "good posters" strangely "liked" the bullying based upon that good ol "lack of facts" nonsense..  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I meant something different then other backs. 

Yes, I know.   We’ve been talking about it all off-season.   

But a 100 percent guaranteed contract in a multiyear contract isn’t very realistic, especially with what Taylor is reportedly asking for.  

48 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Been on vacation.  I did say the market is the market.  I am not blaming Irsay for the RB market.  I am saying the guy is past his prime as owner and his final years might suck more and more as we go forward.  I think his weighing in with the RB situation was unnecessary, it would have been better to let the people he pays to work with Taylor's representation instead of weighing in and making it personal and alienating a player who is crucial to us this season.

Way I see it he's had his fingers in more things than just the RB situation of late.  And I am feeling more and more like the guy is not benefitting us overall from that owner chair.  If you disagree, I am fine with that as always.  But as I see it the next five years or so for the Colts isn't particularly bright and Irsay is part of that take.

Fair enough. We shall see. 

Would look good with JT in there.  Yes I think we could be productive without him, but it would look and be a lot more dangerous with him, Hull, Jackson, and Moss in there to go along with AR legs.  And it's obvious this is going to be a year where we run the football a lot.  Also looks like the first team OL is going to help them out as well.  Could be a very fun year for JT if he will realize that he's most likely going to be a Colt in 2023 any way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, I know.   We’ve been talking about it all off-season.   

But a 100 percent guaranteed contract in a multiyear contract isn’t very realistic, especially with what Taylor is reportedly asking for.  

That's better then the 17 mil I believe Taylor wants. It's a middle ground imo

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Show me two backs combined that can get 1800 yards and 18 tds 

Well, Miles Sanders + D’Andre Swift got 1800 yards on about 350 carries and 16 TD combined in ‘22. 

Then add a combined 68 receptions for 467 yards and 3 TDs and I’m sorely tempted to say - you were saying?

That’s for a combined annual salary of $8.5m… And this was just with a quick look-see. 

Edit:

Or Jamal Williams and Swift for a combined 1600 yards and 22 TDs on 350 carries for an annual salary of $5.25m. 

This is fun, but I’m done. Think I proved my point. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's better then the 17 mil I believe Taylor wants. It's a middle ground imo

3 years, 40million, all guaranteed is somehow….      Better?

Why?    Because 13 is smaller than 17?    After all our exchanges that’s the best you can come up with?   

Let’s call it a day.   We’re getting no where fast.   

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

3 years, 40million, all guaranteed somehow….      Better?

Why.  Because 13 is smaller than 17?    After all our exchanges that’s the best you can come up with?   

Let’s call it a day.   We’re getting no where fast.   

Let's say he gets 17 mil a year for three years that's 51 mil. Two years in, you're already paid 34 mil even if you void his final year not including any guarantees you still owe him. You're basically paying him close to 40 mil in both scenarios only difference is a much lower cap hit.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know what this means.  Are you saying that we both share the same reasoned opinion on this matter or that we have some sort of perpetual tribal bond that's based on something else?

Who are the good posters and the bad?  I suppose, the good ones here provide links to another person's opinion, where that other person happens to have their own YouTube channel or Twitter Feed or something.? 

But yet the media guys and twitter feedies know more about JT vs the landscape than Irsay, Ballard, and SS; who are actually around the team 24/7.

You and Stitch are body slamming him from one side of the ring to the other with the harsh reality. One harsh reality is that JT offers us Nothing this season that makes us a contender. IF, he Is healthy.

So why gamble with money needed elsewhere that he will be healthy in 2024 and that Even then he will be so important individually as to make us contenders. Makes No Sense!

Pure click - bait fanboy material. JT hopefully sits out the season and gets healthy.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:48 PM, PRnum1 said:

Huh ? When ?

According to spotrac Henry is only under contract for 2023 at 12.75 M

"Henry is entering the final year of a four-year, $50 million contract inked in 2020. The deal includes $25 million in guaranteed money, an average annual salary of $12.5 million, and a $12 million signing bonus.Mar 22, 2023"

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/derrick-henry-18994/#:~:text=Derrick Henry signed a 4,dead cap value of %2410%2C102%2C941.

Yeah that’s the contract I’m referring to for matching the GTD money that will matter to JT and his agent. Henry is not an APB but what he does, he does well. So comparing Henry and JT is somewhat reasonable to me.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

I've never really known you to be not nice...at least when as an initiator of engagement...maybe after someone took shot at you...of course.

At least you do not sweep in out of the blue to engage other posters with immediate impoliteness.  Being an expert at fooling many by disguising his personal shots at posters by how he crafts his comments.....and getting away with it for years.  

@Restinpeacesweetchloegot abused with repeated impolite comments last year.  And I think some "good posters" strangely "liked" the bullying based upon that good ol "lack of facts" nonsense..  

Thanks Doug, I try to always be laid back in here and try to respect everyone's opinion. 

I said earlier in this thread you could get 75-85% of JT’s 2021 performance for 25-40% of the cost of having JT on the team. @CR91 called me out earlier saying he’d like to see me find a 2-back combo that could do the same as what JT did in 2021 and I found two examples within 5 minutes of looking. I decided to do a little digging and prove that earlier statement.

2-back committee vs JT’s 2021 “MVP” performance. Looking for around 320-350 carries combined a la what JT had. Assumed $13m per year as @2006Coltsbestever's suggestion for a contract.

Looking for 1350-1530 yards and 14-15 TDs for $3.25-5.2m per year.

’22:

Jamaal Williams plus almost any back with 80-90 carries.

Williams alone had 262 carries for 1066 yards and 17 TDs. The Saints just signed him for an average of $4m per year.

Zack Moss, Rashaad Penny and Melvin Gordon are just a few that would give us the added performance within the 25-40% cost range.

’21:

Damien Harris: 202 carries for 929 yards and 15 TDs for $1.77m. Rashaad Penny, Michael Carter, Myles Gaskin would give us another 600-750 yards and 3-6 TDs for a little more than $1m year.

’20:

J.K Dobbins: 134 carries for 805 yards and 9 TDs for $1.4m. Add Antonio Gibson for another 795 yard on 170 carries with 11 TDs for $1.25m.

’19:

Carlos Hyde: 245 carries for 1070 yards and 6 TDs for $2.25m + Kenyan Drake, Melvin Gordon or Raheem Mostert.

AND. SO. ON…

Look, I get JT wants to get paid, but the reality is you can get almost comparable (or in some cases equal) performance for less than half of what some here say is fair pay for him. Those money are just better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I said earlier in this thread you could get 75-85% of JT’s 2021 performance for 25-40% of the cost of having JT on the team. @CR91 called me out earlier saying he’d like to see me find a 2-back combo that could do the same as what JT did in 2021 and I found two examples within 5 minutes of looking. I decided to do a little digging and prove that earlier statement.

2-back committee vs JT’s 2021 “MVP” performance. Looking for around 320-350 carries combined a la what JT had. Assumed $13m per year as @2006Coltsbestever's suggestion for a contract.

’22:

Williams alone had 262 carries for 1066 yards and 17 TDs. The Saints just signed him for an average of $4m per year.

Zack Moss, Rashaad Penny and Melvin Gordon are just a few that would give us the added performance within the 25-40% cost range.

’21:

Damien Harris: 202 carries for 929 yards and 15 TDs for $1.77m. Rashaad Penny, Michael Carter, Myles Gaskin would give us another 600-750 yards and 3-6 TDs for a little more than $1m year.

’20:

J.K Dobbins: 134 carries for 805 yards and 9 TDs for $1.4m. Add Antonio Gibson for another 795 yard on 170 carries with 11 TDs for $1.25m.

’19:

Carlos Hyde: 245 carries for 1070 yards and 6 TDs for $2.25m + Kenyan Drake, Melvin Gordon or Raheem Mostert.

AND. SO. ON…

Look, I get JT wants to get paid, but the reality is you can get almost comparable (or in some cases equal) performance for less than half of what some here say is fair pay for him. Those money are just better spent elsewhere.

I applaud you for the effort. Now tell me is any combination of Hull, Moss, Drake, and Jackson getting 1800 yards and 18 tds? Because that's the RB room right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

’22:

’21:

’20:

’19:

AND. SO. ON…

I will say that is a good post. I have never had an argument against RB by committee if it fits the team. If you have a Mahomes, Hurts, Burrow, Rodgers - a Brady or Manning in their prime, RB by committee is the way to go and invest in other places. We have a rookie QB so having a HR hitter like JT is important to take pressure off him IMO. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say that is a good post. I have never had an argument against RB by committee if it fits the team. If you have a Mahomes, Hurts, Burrow, Rodgers - a Brady or Manning in their prime, RB by committee is the way to go and invest in other places. We have a rookie QB so having a HR hitter like JT is important to take pressure off him IMO. 

I agree JT could help AR short term, absolutely! But JT’s contract (if it happens?) will likely be for 3-ish years? We could have a lot of other needs during his contract duration. Yes the cap will raise, but a guy like Pitt could take a big piece of that pie and there will be more who wants paid during those 3-4 years. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I applaud you for the effort. Now tell me is any combination of Hull, Moss, Drake, and Jackson getting 1800 yards and 18 tds? Because that's the RB room right now.

Are we keeping 3 backs? Don’t think we’re keeping 4, or?

Drake had 955 yards and 10 TDs in 2020. He’s getting up in age and has struggled with injuries these past two season. 
Moss had 481 yards in ‘20 and 345 in ‘21. 4 TDs in both years. 

Then add Jackson and/or Hull. We will probably not reach 1800 yards and 18 TDs, but I don’t think that 75-85% range is unreachable and it’ll be for FAR less money than $13m. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Are we keeping 3 backs? Don’t think we’re keeping 4, or?

Drake had 955 yards and 10 TDs in 2020. He’s getting up in age and has struggled with injuries these past two season. 
Moss had 481 yards in ‘20 and 345 in ‘21. 4 TDs in both years. 

Then add Jackson and/or Hull. We will probably not reach 1800 yards and 18 TDs, but I don’t think that 75-85% range is unreachable and it’ll be for FAR less money than $13m. 

Ok now here's my second question. Does a RB room of Moss Drake Jackson and Hull make defenses respect our run or are they just gonna create havoc for our inexperience rookie QB? While you might not like the idea of paying a back 13 mil, I don't like the idea of AR getting David Carr killed his first year. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ok now here's my second question. Does a RB room of Moss Drake Jackson and Hull make defenses respect our run or are they just gonna create havoc for our inexperience rookie QB? While you might not like the idea of paying a back 13 mil, I don't like the idea of AR getting the David Carr killed his first year. 

Tbh I wasn’t too impressed with Drake yesterday.  Maybe too early to expect anything?  Right now I don’t think our RB room is a concern for our opponents.  I’m hoping JT sees the light and returns to play out his contract.  Btw Hunt is still out there.  I don’t think he signed with the Vikings after a workout there.  Maybe the door is still open for him.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok now here's my second question. Does a RB room of Moss Drake Jackson and Hull make defenses respect our run or are they just gonna create havoc for our inexperience rookie QB? While you might not like the idea of paying a back 13 mil, I don't like the idea of AR getting David Carr killed his first year. 

Wouldn’t it have to if they end up running for a combined 1300+ yards and 12-14 TDs? That would mean a pretty big commitment to the run game for us. 
They will also have to respect it because of the dual threat of AR’s running and passing. 

I thought Hull looked really good against the Bills. Not crowning him or anything, but above average to good RBs are pretty easy to come by. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Wouldn’t it have to if they end up running for a combined 1300+ yards and 12-14 TDs? That would mean a pretty big commitment to the run game for us. 
They will also have to respect it because of the dual threat of AR’s running and passing. 

I thought Hull looked really good against the Bills. Not crowning him or anything, but above average to good RBs are pretty easy to come by. 

You're suggesting we're gonna run enough that two of our backs will average 700 yards each and 6-7 tds? I can't see that

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're suggesting we're gonna run enough that two of our backs will average 700 yards each and 6-7 tds? I can't see that

No, I’m suggesting it will be the total for all 3/4 backs if we run 320-350 times over the season like JT did in 2021.

The Eagles ran 544 times last season including Hurts’ 165 carries. 

EDIT:

That’s 4.22 ypc (assuming 1350 yards total) with 320 carries by our backs. 
3.86 ypc for 350 carries. 

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No, I’m suggesting it will be the total for all 3/4 backs if we run 320-350 times over the season like JT did in 2021.

The Eagles ran 544 times last season including Hurts’ 165 carries. 

EDIT:

That’s 4.22 ypc (assuming 1350 yards total) with 320 carries by our backs. 
3.86 ypc for 350 carries. 

You think we're using three backs? You realize there's only one football right? What do you suggest? A back per drive?

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You think we're using three backs? You realize there's only one football right? What do you suggest? A back per drive?

You’re assuming everyone will have equal shares. 3 backs in a game is not unheard of. One with 180 carries, one with 90-100 and one with 40-50 carries - over a season of course. 

The beauty of RBBC is ONE back doesn’t have to do it all. We can have a mix of traits across multiple backs; red zone specialists, pass blockers, pass catchers and so on. 

• Like 2