Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Titans at Colts plus injury reports

This is a HOME GAME!!

This is a DIVISIONAL GAME!!

Shane Steichen is an AWEmazing play caller!!

Gus Bradley should be "bringing the heat" against an ineffective Ryan Tannehill.

The crowd will be amped for a win after nearly upsetting the Rams!!

Anthony Richardson is ELECTRIC to watch!!

JT may (or may not) make his season debut leading to a "JT & ZACK ATTACK" moving forward!!

What's not to like about all of these factors??

14 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Run game. 8 touches for AR, 20 for Zach, 10 for JT.

In 4 games we've averaged 28.75 carries per game. You're essentially tagging on another 10 carries to the game plan. Those will either have to come out of Moss' carries or Anthoney's touches (passing AND carries).

19 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Nelson gets hammered again, Simmons & Autry.  We have to be aggressive with this team because this one could get ugly.  TN D knows how to play what we do well, which is running the ball.  

You beat them throwing it.  Minshew gives us the best shot.  

Unless AR gets hurt, you will never see Minshew lace up as the starter, even if the rookie has a few stinkers. Book it.

• Thanks 1

Hello fellow AFC-South fans.

Here's to another year of hopefully good football. This is a game that could really go either way, but I'm interested in the fact that the Colts are +2.5 home dogs this weekend. So how are the Titans this year?

Well, we're an up and down team. And the biggest problem with the Titans aren't the defense, Tannehill, wide outs, tight ends or the King. The obvious problem is the offensive line. We've had to largely completely rebuild it and its been pretty awful until the most recent game against the Bengals. Run blocking and pass blocking were both equally bad, especially in the Browns game. Now we were facing an elite defense and a defensive coordinator (Jim Schwartz) who is one of the best in the game. Worse, he has a long relationship working for the Titans including the last two years under Mike Vrabel. So he knew every weakness and had the talent to exploit it (and we were just awful). Hopefully we won't be in the same boat too often. But any team that wants to play the Titans needs to review the film on the Browns game.

When we could actually block someone last week, the King returned to form and Tannehill found his targets. So it's pretty simple. If the O-line can execute, it's likely we have a good day. If not, its going to be a very long day. Fortunately we may get back one of two starters this week, but things are still very up in the air.

What are we doing better? Play calling is far better. The Titans are no longer as predictable as we have been in previous seasons. Although I'm still laughing at how teams are still falling for Derrick Henry doing a pass play from the wild cat on the goal line. The play called the "King Cat" has been cash money over and over again. For a running back, Henry's passing stats are 7 of 8 completions and 4 (!!) touchdowns.

Historically, we have a bad habit of making rookie QBs (and some backups) look like they are bound for Canton. Our defensive line is nasty and when they are on, they are hard to stop. Jeffrey Simmons is easily top 2 or 3 in the league for the interior line. So bottling up Richardson's athleticism will be key for us. And last week was easier with a gimpy Joe Burrow. And of course, Denico Autry needs no introduction to your guys and is always motivated to play his former team.

But no doubt Richardson is very talented. How fast he continues to improve is an open question. But I'm sure he's been fun to watch for you guys.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well... I had previously posted that I was wishing to see what Grant Stuard could do in place of Leonard.

and since we know the Titans will probably give Bradley's D a heavy dose of Henry... Maybe we get to see a little of GS? We also have LBs Segun Olubi and Cameron McGrone.

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I assume that is final that those three are out for Sunday. Being out 2 weeks with concussion seems long and both Kelly ans Raimann have been out 2 weeks now.

Rainmann’s timing is different.  He got one last Friday in practice.  So it’s only been a week in real time.  

Kelly is back and since he missed five weeks the last time he had one missing a game with one isn’t the end of the world.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rainmann’s timing is different.  He got one last Friday in practice.  So it’s only been a week in real time.  

Kelly is back and since he missed five weeks the last time he had one missing a game with one isn’t the end of the world.

Didn't say it was the end of the world. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Simmons and Autry are going to be a pain but AR is very mobile so we will see.

Having the middle of the line back and frankly four fifths of the line back should let them help Freeland.  Also, having Taylor back with Moss could mean a lot of running up the middle could really help and would be the best friend for protecting Freeland.  I think this game comes down to which team can control the line and get their running game going first.  That’s why Buckner and Stewart’s health is so important.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Having the middle of the line back and frankly four fifths of the line back should let them help Freeland.  Also, having Taylor back with Moss could mean a lot of running up the middle could really help and would be the best friend for protecting Freeland.  I think this game comes down to which team can control the line and get their running game going first.  That’s why Buckner and Stewart’s health is so important.

I agree and lets hope Tannehill is, 'BAD' Tannehill. For some reason against us he plays good and even runs like Michael Vick (sarcasm)against us at times. I think it was in 2021, I remember Tannehill taking off and strolling for a 20 yard run against us here on like a 3rd and 17 lmao . I can't wait to see Taylor play, he should have fresh legs but may have rust as well from not getting hit in almost 10 months. 

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Freeland getting all these snaps is going to help colts in the long run. Colts will have a better backup because of it. Having Kelly back will help Richardson a ton get into the right play call. Will be fun to see Dayo have more snaps.

Good point. I have heard, in the first few games, Ryan Kelly had graded out well.

and perhaps, having Kelly back, will straighten out the pass rush problems, which the Colts attributed to miscommunication?

I admit I have no idea, how creative the Titans defensive coordinator and/or schemes are. However, should they mix up blitzes, stunts, etc... I'm skeptical that Kelly will solve these woes.

Actually, I thought French did an adequate job at center. I will be watching to see if Kelly provides a noticeable improvement. Or if it's about the same? Or worse?

Our o-line will probably have their hands full, with Simmons and Autry, like they did last week with Aaron Donald.

Just about all of our linemen struggled (including Freeland) vs Donald, as they moved him all around the line. Donald has a great bull rush, is very strong, and knows all the moves.

The wildcard to watch for the Titans, is Harold Landry, who's more of a pure speed pass-rusher than both Simmons and Autry. Landry will probably line up opposite Blake Freeland in obvious passing downs, and will certainly provide a good test, as to how well BF can protect against the outside speed rush.

• Like 1

Just now, JediXMan said:

Raimann being out sucks but at least AR is mobile enough to avoid sacks. I feel like the TEs have to step up blocking this game to help out the backup LT.

Yep. With Raimann out, they will, once again, be depending on blocking from TEs. Which unfortunately means another week of being "inactive" for Will Mallory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Bad enough we have to deal with Simmons, but now, with Blake Freeland at LT, I worry Harold Landry will kill us, as he has done in the past.

Steichen should be planning to help out Freeland with a TE when needed. Would be dumb to leave him on a island all game. 

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

So many concussion issues for Indy this season. When are we getting a more safe and improved turf? Our field has widely been regarded as one of the worst as far as injury prevention goes. 

A new turf isn’t going to help with concussions especially when one was suffered in practice and Kelly and Richardson’s came on the road.