Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Eagles post game thread

GoColts8818

Richardson showed some good and some bad, mostly good, despite having a very low completion percentage. There were very little to no Eagles starters in on either side of the ball, so it would have been very concerning if he didnt look halfway decent at all.

There were a few passes that absolutely should have been caught that weren't.

Also, I was a bit disappointed with Pierce today, there were a few balls he was contesting for, but he didnt look particularly effective or like he wanted it all that much.

All that said, I'm glad the preseason is over. Bring on the real football.

• Like 3

Was there for the full first half couple rows back at the Colts 50 yard line. Some observations:

AR is a big guy. Was either locked into the game or on the tablet looking at film with Gardner, coaches and several times with Pierce. If Pierce can get his dropsies under control, I think he’s gonna be a favorite target of AR. 

ARs pocket awareness can be special. He has a a really good natural feel for the pocket and moves well in it.

Stuard at LB has looked so fast, even faster in person. Flies to The ball. I hope he makes it. 

Winfree is a big dude and seems he’s got some dawg in him. I hope we see him stick around in the 53 or the PS. 

• Like 5

TEs all look good.  Pitt and Montgomery are the only WRs that looked good to me.  (Downs is going to be good, but he wasn’t tonight).

D is going to be stressed.  Playing against 2s and not really winning a lot of sets.  But it’s going to be learning on the job for the DBs.  Need Shaq back.

Richardson looked better than the numbers will show, his legs are a difference maker.  He clearly has things to work on, he holds the ball a long, he likes to go deep when he has things underneath at times, his accuracy needs to get better, but that’s okay he’s a rookie.  That’s what this season is going to be for, developing him.

Pierce is a concern.  He had a couple of drops tonight and maybe judging him on last year is unfair given the QB play but he’s really yet to do anything outside of one play vs the Jags.  

The tightend cuts is going to be hard.  Does Mac as a vet matter to Ballard and company?  Do they have enough spaces to keep all the guys that deserve to be here?  Can the best pass catchers block well enough to not keep a guy like Brown?

I will assume Taylor is not going to be on the opening day roster for one reason or another so I think Moss, Jackson, and Hull are locks.  Now the question is do they keep a fourth?  If they do I think it comes down to Funk or Drake.  Drake had a nice series tonight but Funk has shown something in short yardage and has special teams value.

Pittman. Pierce, Downs, and McKenzie are locks at WRs.  However I think the other spot or two are wide open.  All the other guys showed flashes but no one really did enough to lock down spots IMO.

Mixed night for the backup line.  First it looks like Pinter is probably lost and that’s unfortunate.  Then again O’Donnell stated tonight and didn’t look over his head but that was also vs the Eagles back ups.  I’d expect Ballard to add a guy or two here during cut downs.

Dayo, Stuart, Black, Minshew, and Sam all continued their good pre-seasons.  It’s going to be hard to cut any of those guys and clearly Dayo, Stuart, and Minshew are locks to make the roster.

Always good to see Buckner back and doing Buckner type things.  

We know Richardson is going to take lumps this season but so is the corner back spot.  So be patient and remember the goal of this season is growth and development not so much wins and losses even though we all want wins.

New QB, new coach, but one thing never changes, no kicker ever misses from 50+ vs the Colts.

• Like 2

I will be expecting a lot of two TE sets this year, because so far our TEs are the better receiving group lol but in all seriousness I like Pittman, I'm not worried about Downs since he is known to have great hands. I am worried about Pierce, he is getting open but the ball is just bouncing off his hands. 

As for the RB group it was not a good day for them, Moss so far is desperately needed back if Taylor won'y be playing for the Colts. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are clearly just practicing deep shots in the preseason. He has god hands last year. Hopefully that won’t be a problem.

Richardson and Pitt looked good together. 

I'm not sure what game you're watching, but other than Granson, zero of the WRs were consistent enough to make a dent and it was all against twos and threes.

The WR room will stunt AR growth bigtime

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

are you being serious?

ABSOLUTELY. Hated this pick when it was made, always knew he sucked and here we are. He is terrible.

Wasted pick when all we needed to do was trade up on that day just a little and grab Pickens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are clearly just practicing deep shots in the preseason. He has god hands last year. Hopefully that won’t be a problem.

Richardson and Pitt looked good together. 

Pierce may have good hands but I’ve yet to see him get separation.  His “trick” is to beat his coverage downfield and get the 50/50 ball.  He needs to do more than that.

Montgomery looked like the best WR out there tonight.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Pierce may have good hands but I’ve yet to see him get separation.  His “trick” is to beat his coverage downfield and get the 50/50 ball.  He needs to do more than that.

Montgomery looked like the best WR out there tonight.  

**This** These WRs going back to last year very rarely get separation and that's a huge issue. WRs blow, especially Pierce.

• Like 1

Overall good night from Richardson. The stat line does not tell the story. The wow factor and potential were on display, and so was the rawness. 

The WRs missed some difficult catches tonight. They’ve gotta start coming down with those. 

Hull was a bright spot tonight. 

The offensive play calling and philosophy continue to be refreshing. 

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Ice Cube Friday GIF

• Like 6

Well I’m not going to call our WR’s busts…but Downs is the one that excites me the most. Pittman is good but needs to step up this season, imo. Pierce is still young, I’m hoping he and AR get this figured out. I’ll be more concerned if we aren’t seeing noticeable improvement by week 8-10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s only preseason but it felt really good to beat the Eagles! 
 I was at the game in Indy last year and had to bear the Eagles chant over and over and over….it warmed my heart to see how quiet the Eagles fans were…

I know they played their second string and we still struggled but I have a feeling they’ll be a lot better as the season goes on.

• Like 3

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

True, what Chap said.  AR probably wouldn’t make some of those throws if the game counted.  

Darn, I really wish JT was playing (like he did in 21).  That combo would really make D coordinators sweat.  

Okay so here is what you do with the QB spot.

Play Minshew on 1st and 2nd down to move the ball down the field.

Play Richardson in 3rd down and in the redzone and when you want to take a shot down field.

Play Sam in the 4th quarter.

For the record yes I am kidding.

• Like 2