Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson named starter for the season

Indyfan4life

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Congratulations! :fireworks: All the best!!

When you realize you have found your QB of the Future, you want the Future to start as soon as possible. :)

Thanks, @NFLfan. Hope you find your guy too. The NFC needs new influx of talented QBs. It seems like every great young QB is in the AFC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

AR has a much stronger team around him than Young or Stroud will have.  If the OL bounces back as I’m expecting this season has a chance to surprise and outperform current expectations.

I think AR has stronger team around him than luck had his rookie year 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks, @NFLfan. Hope you find your guy too. The NFC needs new influx of talented QBs. It seems like every great young QB is in the AFC. 

The AFC does have lots of talented QBs.

The younger starting QBs in the NFC are:

Daniel Jones

Sam Howell

Jalen Hurts

Justin Fields 

Jordan Love

Bryce Young

Desmond Ridder

Brock Purdy

Kyler Murray

Definitely not as flashy.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The AFC does have lots of talented QBs.

The younger starting QBs in the NFC are:

Daniel Jones

Sam Howell

Jalen Hurts

Justin Fields 

Jordan Love

Bryce Young

Desmond Ridder

Brock Purdy

Kyler Murray

Definitely not as flashy.

Unless Love turns into everything I dreamed he could be :D 

Hurts is already pretty good. I'd say about top 10 in the league. 

Murray is really talented but there seem to be other issues there... :dunno:

Fields is another Richardson type. I think I like Richardson better long-term but he still could be really good if he develops well.. 

Young is really talented too... but I don't believe in the physical profile.

Jones is interesting. He's already outperformed all projections for him and he hasnt even had a legit receiver to throw to... 

• Like 6

Just now, NFLfan said:

I completely agree with Chuck Pagano. Why start a stopgap when your future is right there on the team? Start AR.

I think it became apparent to everybody watching the first preseason game that once AR came back and played reasonably fine and didnt seem completely overwhelmed after his initial INT (that wasnt entirely on him, but it still was an ill advised throw), that he would be named the starter, there is just so much more potential there and it doesnt look like he is the type of player to crumple under the pressure or to become "broken" by starting "too soon".

Get him in there and let him fly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I said this morning to watch the bears game Saturday. If Richardson didn’t start or got very few snaps that probably meant he would be the starter week one. Well Steichen just went ahead and said it early.

Yeah... seems like people around the NFL consider joint practices the real meat of the week and that's where most of the action and real things happen, while in the game the teams revert back to vanilla football. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I said this morning to watch the bears game Saturday. If Richardson didn’t start or got very few snaps that probably meant he would be the starter week one. Well Steichen just went ahead and said it early.

I think he will still probably get the 1st quarter, the kid just plain and simple needs the game reps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Minshew is awesome teammate! I wouldn't mind him being our backup for the foreseeable future. If he would want that job.

I've always been a huge Minshew fan.  I'd love him to be our backup forever, but i get the feeling he'll start somewhere again someday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I've always been a huge Minshew fan.  I'd love him to be our backup forever, but i get the feeling he'll start somewhere again someday.

No he won't. He is a backup QB.

He signed here for backup QB money and he is now playing that role.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very very happy to be wrong!    I find AR very easy to like and pull for.  The Andrew Luck era is thankfully over, and the Anthony Richardson era is officially launched!!   

Looking forward to watching him grow and develop as the Colts build around him.  

If you can’t root for this kid, who can you root for?!?    Here’s to a long,  successful and healthy career!!    :thmup:      :scoregood:

He's all around just a good kid, and a fantastic brother. He's also pretty dang cerebral with the football stuff if you listen to his interviews. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... seems like people around the NFL consider joint practices the real meat of the week and that's where most of the action and real things happen, while in the game the teams revert back to vanilla football. 

Curious?  In the joint practices do the quarterbacks where the red jersey or are they fair game?  Having a senior moment. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Curious?  In the joint practices do the quarterbacks where the red jersey or are they fair game?  Having a senior moment. 

Not 100% sure... I don't remember that either. It's more about the looks they will show you and the things they will try against you. They usually do more of the real schematic things they want to do during the season in the practices, rather than in the game from what I gather, because the practices are not on tape for the rest of the league to see. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which makes todays outing during practice even more impressive. Knew he’s going to be the starter this season and still has an exceptional day. This is twice Shane has given him some substantial news before practice begins. Only this time the moment wasn’t as big for him (some jitters last time) and he progressed. 

I get rookies need time to develop but AR just seems to be an exception where things come easily MUCH faster. I’m pumped! 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Interesting.  Freeney gives you the impression that an RPO offense is easier to run than a traditional drop back offense.  Therefore AR should be able to start right away since he comes from that offense at Florida.  Not so much to learn but rely on your instincts so to speak.  When you listen to what he has to say it makes sense.  Kay has a hard time believing it but Dwight thinks starting him in a RPO offense makes perfect sense.  He’s already comfortable in it.  Turn him loose and see what happens.

• Like 5

Just now, richard pallo said:

Interesting.  Freeney gives you the impression that an RPO offense is easier to run than a traditional drop back offense.  Therefore AR should be able to start right away since he comes from that offense at Florida.  Not so much to learn but rely on your instincts so to speak.  When you listen to what he has to say it makes sense.  Kay has a hard time believing it but Dwight thinks starting him in a RPO offense makes perfect sense.  He’s already comfortable in it.  Turn him loose and see what happens.

He is right. You don’t have to sit there and go through a lot of reads.

• Like 1

Figured.  My guess is if AR looked lost and horrible then they wouldn’t make a decision.  But since the opposite happened, they went ahead with this decision.  

This us the right decision.  AR has shown he can learn and adapt.  Minshew will not get us a SB and if anything screw up our draft position.  So let AR go out there, build timing with his teammates and learn.  

• Like 1

Good decision. AR is like a second year starter in college, which means lots of mistakes as he grows. Hopefully All Chips In is uncharacteristically patient and gives him at least two or three years to learn. This also gives Ballard the chance to build towards two or three years from now. A good place to start might be trading declining highly paid players and the disgruntled hoodie though his value surely is not sky high now. But at the same time they shed assets, if they can get any help for oline it would prove they learned from the Luck experience.