Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor on the PUP list

Moosejawcolt

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The PUP is not the ideal place to be when looking for big money.  

FWIW:   

If you take a look at the Taylor contract thread, there’s a big discussion about this.   

No one thinks Taylor is hurt.  Both Ballard and Irsay have recently said JT is fine and ready to go.   Also, the Colts first put out a small list of PUP players, just two, and Taylor wasn’t one.   Then hours later suddenly Taylor was out on the list with no real public explanation.   But privately, off the record, some Colts officials were saying this will be a short stay and he’d be back in a few days.   

If you scroll thru the conversation in the other thread speculation is the team is trying to remove the spotlight from being on Taylor, perhaps lower the temperature.  No one thinks JT is hurt. 

Hopefully, things are better within a week or so….

Just some good for thought….

• Like 2

Practice is important.  But it’s less important for veterans in certain positions.  JT knows what hole to hit and who to block.  

The only thing he has to learn is how to catch passes from the new QBs.  He’ll be fine.  

Irsay has already said that Taylor was a go and 100% healthy, so he isn't injured which is the good news. Bad news is I think Taylor wants a contract extension and it really needs to be done, because IMO this will be a distraction all season long if he doesn't get a deal done. 

You never know what is going through a players mind, especially if he feels underappreciated. Will he give 100% for example without a deal, and the way other RB's are being treated he doesn't seem thrilled about it.

I would at least throw out an offer sheet to him, something like 3 years for 39 million = 13 Million a year, a 7 Million dollar sign on bonus, with 25 Million of it guaranteed and see if he goes for it. 

These are just my gut feelings, nothing factual here to let everyone know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Practice is important.  But it’s less important for veterans in certain positions.  JT knows what hole to hit and who to block.  

The only thing he has to learn is how to catch passes from the new QBs.  He’ll be fine.  

RB practice isn't that important.  Little pass pro concept work too 

• Like 1

What I read that Irsay said is "Jonathan is healed up." That seems more vague to me than what some here are suggesting in saying Irsay said Taylor is 100% and ready to go. Especially if you think about Irsay's history of making unpolished public statements.

That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised if Taylor's not really unable to practice.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   

If you take a look at the Taylor contract thread, there’s a big discussion about this.   

No one thinks Taylor is hurt.  Both Ballard and Irsay have recently said JT is fine and ready to go.   Also, the Colts first put out a small list of PUP players, just two, and Taylor wasn’t one.   Then hours later suddenly Taylor was out on the list with no real public explanation.   But privately, off the record, some Colts officials were saying this will be a short stay and he’d be back in a few days.   

If you scroll thru the conversation in the other thread speculation is the team is trying to remove the spotlight from being on Taylor, perhaps lower the temperature.  No one thinks JT is hurt. 

Hopefully, things are better within a week or so….

Just some good for thought….

Yeah, I've been having the same thoughts as you. I heard tonight that Taylor's agent is very upset with Irsay's comment on the state of the RB of running back market right now. So this could get ugly I hope not I love Taylor. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay has already said that Taylor was a go and 100% healthy, so he isn't injured which is the good news. Bad news is I think Taylor wants a contract extension and it really needs to be done, because IMO this will be a distraction all season long if he doesn't get a deal done. 

You never know what is going through a players mind, especially if he feels underappreciated. Will he give 100% for example without a deal, and the way other RB's are being treated he doesn't seem thrilled about it.

I would at least throw out an offer sheet to him, something like 3 years for 39 million = 13 Million a year, a 7 Million dollar sign on bonus, with 25 Million of it guaranteed and see if he goes for it. 

These are just my gut feelings, nothing factual here to let everyone know.

I posted this early this morning. I seen this coming. Homer Simpson GIF

I had some push back before the draft when I said the Colts should trade JT if a good package was presented. The alternative is giving him an extension that would reset the market or he would hold out. Here we are.  I expect him to play this year bc he has no leverage. We have him under contract plus the franchise tag next year.  Unless he signs a multi year contract, this will not be going away any time soon. I don’t blame either side for taking their stance though.  Both sides want what is best for them. 

This part is debatable and merely my opinion.  JT is a great player on the Colts. However, he isn’t generational talent.  Unless a deal is team friendly, I wouldn’t recommend signing him long term. Nothing more than 2 years before we can easily get out of the contract.  JT may stay elite until 28-30 but most likely the injuries will start to mount. Pay the man for the next two years while AR develops and reevaluate.  

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I had some push back before the draft when I said the Colts should trade JT if a good package was presented. The alternative is giving him an extension that would reset the market or he would hold out. Here we are.  I expect him to play this year bc he has no leverage. We have him under contract plus the franchise tag next year.  Unless he signs a multi year contract, this will not be going away any time soon. I don’t blame either side for taking their stance though.  Both sides want what is best for them. 

This part is debatable and merely my opinion.  JT is a great player on the Colts. However, he isn’t generational talent.  Unless a deal is team friendly, I wouldn’t recommend signing him long term. Nothing more than 2 years before we can easily get out of the contract.  JT may stay elite until 28-30 but most likely the injuries will start to mount. Pay the man for the next two years while AR develops and reevaluate.  

I think Taylor should take a stance a seek the contract he desires. But once you start using PUP as negotiation tactics your character which has been great might crumble. Always be the best player you can be and work with your team as much as possible. If you don't feel the value your self worth then seek a better deal. Show up not PUP. Your under contract, keep your character intact when trying to prove your value. Don't become the next LeVeon Bell...

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think Taylor should take a stance a seek the contract he desires. But once you start using PUP as negotiation tactics your character which has been great might crumble. Always be the best player you can be and work with your team as much as possible. If you don't feel the value your self worth then seek a better deal. Show up not PUP. Your under contract, keep your character intact when trying to prove your value. Don't become the next LeVeon Bell...

I’m not saying you are wrong.  A lot of people will question his character bc of this move.  I won’t be bc it’s the only play he really has besides quitting. He just wants to get paid and I don’t blame him. It’s just business. He will play this year bc he has no choice. I bet the Colts do offer him a fair market deal but can’t say if his agent will think it’s enough. Unfortunately it’s just the nature of the position. It isn’t fair but until the next CBA, there is no chance of getting around this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This transaction is a head-scratcher after both Jonathan Taylor - AND - Jim Irsay indicated that Taylor was ready for training camp.

There is some speculation among the media pundits that Jonathan's vocal attitude about RB contracts may be a part of the decision.

Who knows?

I would like to see JT get a respectable contract indicative of how the team and management view him as an important asset to our team.

Latest from Mike Florio:

Jonathan Taylor should have held out in Indianapolis

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jonathan-taylor-should-have-held-out-in-indianapolis

...Colts running back Jonathan Taylor, the consensus top pick in fantasy football a year ago after rushing for 1,811 yards and scoring 20 touchdowns in his second season, is eligible for a new contract. He hasn’t gotten one, but he did not hold out.

He likely decided not to hold out in part because he missed six games in 2022 due to an ankle injury. His closing argument for a new contract was, simply put, not as solid as it could have been. To the extent it was a close call, however, the aggressive comments from owner Jim Irsay might have made a difference.

Irsay wisely held his tongue (or tweet) until Taylor and the rest of the Colts reported. Once players report, it becomes much harder under the labor deal to take a stand.

In hindsight, and given Irsay’s strident and condescending remarks about the running back position, Taylor should have refused to show up....

On 7/27/2023 at 5:43 PM, Nickster said:

Come around to the apparent reality of this situation yet Jvan?  Or are still doing the ole positive spin thingy?

Dude... Colts could literally not win a single game in a season and ol' boy would try and spin that hogwash. But get a couple beers in ya after watching the colts get their brakes beat off, and boy is he fun to argue with. 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:34 PM, jvan1973 said:

I haven't heard anything that says he is gonna hold out.   Did I miss something?

I don’t think he will hold out if I had to bet but did you notice oh never mind.

5 hours ago, Ratking said:

Dude... Colts could literally not win a single game in a season and ol' boy would try and spin that hogwash. But get a couple beers in ya after watching the colts get their brakes beat off, and boy is he fun to argue with. 

it’s a leetle bit freaky