Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams (Thread Updated)

stitches

Just now, gspdx said:

Like I said, in my opinion I would rather let our younger guys get the reps - for good or bad.  I don't think this guy is a difference maker.  Plus the season is a full summer away.  

That doesn't help when you have OTAs and mini camp and have no veteran leadership on the field at the position. Only other vet is McKenzie, more of a slot guy. Perriman can help on the outside.

Can't do anything but help in the immediate future, as most WRs(healthy) on the roster are camp bodies, need a guy to show them how to work and knows what he is doing, so he can help the QBs reps too.

QBs throwing reps to guys who might be running bad/incorrect routes doesn't help the QB very much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

That doesn't help when you have OTAs and mini camp and have no veteran leadership on the field at the position. Only other vet is McKenzie, more of a slot guy. Perriman can help on the outside.

Can't do anything but help in the immediate future, as most WRs(healthy) on the roster are camp bodies, need a guy to show them how to work and knows what he is doing, so he can help the QBs reps too.

QBs throwing reps to guys who might be running bad/incorrect routes doesn't help the QB very much.

right - as a camp body I said OK.  But I don't see any other reason for picking him up.

• Like 1

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/05/colts-nfl-free-agency-breshad-perriman-signed-news/

Considering the vertical nature of Shane Steichen’s passing attack, Perriman’s 4.26 in the 40-yard dash makes him an intriguing fit. Of course, that was back in 2015, but the fact that he’s averaged 16.7 yards per reception for his career suggests he’s still a viable deep threat.

It will be interesting to see if Perriman can make enough of a mark during training camp to land a spot on the active roster, and it’s never a terrible idea to surround a rookie quarterback with players of various talents

Think this is a great point.

• Like 1

He has only played 47 snaps on SPT in his career, although 41 came last season.

That will definitely not help his chances to make the team, if he does it will be as a vertical threat.

Dulin is a good gunner

McKenzie has over 100 KO/P returns in his career.

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

More concerned about Downs.

Maybe catching passes in the hotel parking lot wasn't such a good idea?

I don't think that contributed to his injury. From what I remember, he said he wasn't running routes, essentially just playing catch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think that contributed to his injury. From what I remember, he said he wasn't running routes, essentially just playing catch.

Probably not.

The Colts said it was a prior injury before OTAs?

Was it in rookie mini camp? Off-season training?

Timing all fuzzy on when it happened.

He did suit up for rookie mini camp didn't he? Can't remember.

15 minutes ago, azcolt said:

All chips in on this bust:td: Camp fodder. Ranked by one publication as Ravens worst draft bust in 20 years. 

To be fair, the Ravens have always been bad at selecting WRs

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Probably not.

The Colts said it was a prior injury before OTAs?

Was it in rookie mini camp? Off-season training?

Timing all fuzzy on when it happened.

He did suit up for rookie mini camp didn't he? Can't remember.

I remember him being on the field for rookie mini camp, so it probably happened then or off-field training.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, azcolt said:

All chips in on this bust:td: Camp fodder. Ranked by one publication as Ravens worst draft bust in 20 years. 

And who cares? We are talking about a 4th, 5th, or 6th receiver here. Do those usually need to be stars? What we do need is some additional speed and he brings that. Who do we have amongst our reserve players that he shouldn't be playing over? He's better than all of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gspdx said:

Not sure I understand the reasoning for this:

1. If he is a camp body - OK
  2. If the goal is to really have him as a contributor this year I would rather have the young guys we are trying to develop get the reps

He is 29 years old so not really a long term answer for anything.  He probably isn't improving much at this point in his career.  Not the best hands so I don't see why Richardson would need a guy like that to help him.  I get the idea of improving all areas of the roster, including the bottom, but like I said I would rather have our young guys get the game experience to see if they will improve even if it means some ugliness.

who exactly are you worried about developing? only name I can think of is Strachan who lacks speed and still hasn't shown enough to warrant worrying about his development to be quite honest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Ballard’s Bum of the Month. Yet some fans are excited about him. OK.

Don't think anyone is excited about him. Just competition for the back end of the group.

We're just choosing to not be "bummed" out by it, like you.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MacDee1975 said:

Good signing.

Gone are the days of trying to pass off Mike Strachan, Dezmon Patmon or Asthon Dulin as legitimate rotational WRs.

Dulin provides value beyond being a depth WR though.

Has played in 863 SPT snaps the last 4 years, over 50% of snaps each season.

And he is solid run blocker.

Will agree with the other 2 though.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yes.....he's an excellent special teams player.  I'm fine with him being on the roster as the #6 receiver.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gspdx said:

Like I said, in my opinion I would rather let our younger guys get the reps - for good or bad.  I don't think this guy is a difference maker.  Plus the season is a full summer away.  

Insurance. Backup plan. Better than putting PS guys out on the field. I can go on and on with this. 

3 hours ago, w87r said:

This signing won't affect Dulin or any of the guys that we all thought were front line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

This signing won't affect Dulin or any of the guys that we all thought were front line.

Definitely doesn't 

Dulin is a lock, as I think McKenzie is as well. To much SPT value and McKenzie might end up starting in the slot, worse case is he is main slot backup.

Perriman would be the 6th to make the roster, if he happens to.

On 6/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, w87r said:

Yeah, Perriman can be a good #4-#6 WR for us.

All the best to him with the Colts. Do you think he makes the team? I'm surprised he is still in the league, given that he did not play much early in his NFL career. If I recall correctly, he was drafted the same year as Philip Dorsett.

When I hear Perriman's name, I always think of his father Brett who played for the Lions when the Lions had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Chris Spielman as their top players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

All the best to him with the Colts. Do you think he makes the team? I'm surprised he is still in the league, given that he did not play much early in his NFL career. If I recall correctly, he was drafted the same year as Philip Dorsett.

When I hear Perriman's name, I always think of his father Brett who played for the Lions when the Lions had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Chris Spielman as their top players. 

Those Lions teams were some of my favorite non colts teams.

I don't have any expectations for him, just back end of WR depth chart competition.

I do like the signing right now, simply because we need someone on the field in these practices that knows what they are doing. With Pittman and Downs out, not much experience out the at WR. So at least gives us that for a little bit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He will make it as long as injury does not prevent

• Like 1

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Wonder how close he is to that 4.26 speed still?

He does offer a great deep threat, as long as he catches the ball.

He can definitely still run and he's got good skill. In this vertical offense we needed that extra piece who can stretch the field. Our team speed was only ok. We got Pierce and I guess Dulin. I think they can use Downs from time to time but he and McKenzie are mostly slot guys. Pittman is not fast, but you can use him on vertical type routes bc of his height. Perryman will help get other guys free as well as be a target himself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like this singing, cheap, low risk, but high potential.  Definitely has the intangibles and he’ll be in a better system with a better WR coach.  

I tell you one thing, it’s going to be fun sending on fly routes and having AR launch the ball on madden lol