Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams (Thread Updated)


stitches

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have definitely been thinking we needed another deep threat. Didn't have Perryman in mind though but he is fast.

Yeah, Perriman can be a good #4-#6 WR for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah, Perryman can be a good #4-#6 WR for us.

He could probably help us in that role. I think if we sign him probably won't be good for Strachan. Strachan isn't that fast to me anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He could probably help us in that role. I think if we sign him probably won't be good for Strachan. Strachan isn't that fast to me anyway.

Strachan, had a long developmental road. Can't imagine last season debacle helped anything?

 

Final roster was going to be a tough get for him this year anyway I think.

 

We were always going to be bringing in a vet at some point, making his spot chances smaller.

 

Pittman

Pierce

Downs

Dulin 

McKenzie 

 

Locks

 

Perriman would creat a strong 6 man core.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Not sure where to find this, but if I remember correctly, Perriman had a hands issue coming out of college.   A high percentage of drops.   Don’t know if that has continued in the NFL?    Can anyone confirm one way or another?

 

 

 

Came in the league continuing the issue.

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

 

 

Has turned around a little since then.

 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/21/new-york-jets-breshad-perriman-drops/

 

Actually had 4 drops in 2020, only 2 since then, although with reduced targets.

 

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/breshad-perriman-10069

 

 

So all in all, still seems to have a little issue.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman 

pierce

downs

dulin

McKenzie 

Am I missing anyone?  There might be room. I won’t be shocked if McKenzie doesn’t make the team.

You're selling Mckenzie short.. he can be very vital in this year's plans. Can't expect rookies to do very well in their first year, and I'd say Mckenzie can compete with Pierce for #2 production this year, and he can do very well in this scheme. He's very competitive and has the experience being the play maker on the field.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You're selling Mckenzie short.. he can be very vital in this year's plans. Can't expect rookies to do very well in their first year, and I'd say Mckenzie can compete with Pierce for #2 production this year, and he can do very well in this scheme. He's very competitive and has the experience being the play maker on the field.

My biggest takeaway there is only room for 6. They aren’t cutting a gut they are high on and just drafted. So someone might be the odd man out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


I wonder how much background Perriman has in special teams?    WRs 4-6 typically have to play ST for the Colts. 

Doesn't seem like the SPT type to me. Uninformed opinion by me.

 

He is going to have to win the #4 spot imo, if he wants to make the roster.

 

We have to sign him first though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My biggest takeaway there is only room for 6. They aren’t cutting a gut they are high on and just drafted. So someone might be the odd man out.

Doubt it is the starting slot/ or the primary slot backup, whichever he ends up being.

 

Plus he can return, so he has SPT value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My biggest takeaway there is only room for 6. They aren’t cutting a gut they are high on and just drafted. So someone might be the odd man out.

WR room also doesn't have much experience apart from Pittman and Mckenzie, someone like Strachan can be stashed in practice squad now with more liberal rules and having 6 or more receivers during regular season is not a big deal anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AKB said:

id rather pass. 

Kind of with you here.

 

I mean if it's a vet minimum contract, it doesn't really matter either way. Fine to let him come in and compete, but I don't have very high expectations, as I don't think he brings much to SPT, like Dulin and McKenzie.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Kind of with you here.

 

I mean if it's a vet minimum contract, it doesn't really matter either way. Fine to let him come in and compete, but I don't have very high expectations, as I don't think he brings much to SPT, like Dulin and McKenzie.

yeah, I just see him stealing snaps from other players that I actually care about

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, w87r said:

 

Came in the league continuing the issue.

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

 

 

Has turned around a little since then.

 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/21/new-york-jets-breshad-perriman-drops/

 

Actually had 4 drops in 2020, only 2 since then, although with reduced targets.

 

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/breshad-perriman-10069

 

 

So all in all, still seems to have a little issue.

With TB last season he had 19 targets and only 9 receptions so I'll pass on him after camp.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • w87r changed the title to [Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams

Not sure I understand the reasoning for this:

  1. If he is a camp body - OK
  2. If the goal is to really have him as a contributor this year I would rather have the young guys we are trying to develop get the reps

He is 29 years old so not really a long term answer for anything.  He probably isn't improving much at this point in his career.  Not the best hands so I don't see why Richardson would need a guy like that to help him.  I get the idea of improving all areas of the roster, including the bottom, but like I said I would rather have our young guys get the game experience to see if they will improve even if it means some ugliness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to [Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams (Thread Updated)
13 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not sure I understand the reasoning for this:

  1. If he is a camp body - OK
  2. If the goal is to really have him as a contributor this year I would rather have the young guys we are trying to develop get the reps

He is 29 years old so not really a long term answer for anything.  He probably isn't improving much at this point in his career.  Not the best hands so I don't see why Richardson would need a guy like that to help him.  I get the idea of improving all areas of the roster, including the bottom, but like I said I would rather have our young guys get the game experience to see if they will improve even if it means some ugliness.

What’s not to understand? Downs and Pittman are injured leaving only Pierce as the only healthy starting WR. He’s insurance in case those two aren’t healthy for whatever reason to start the season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't expect much. Perriman has never lived up to his 1st round draft position and I don't see him finally putting things together at this point in his career. Maybe the right offense with the right supporting cast and he can be serviceable? As long as it was at or near vet minimum and he doesn't take too many meaningful snaps away from our young WRs that need them, I'm fine with the signing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I really hope this has nothing to do with Pitt or Downs

It definitely does, as far as immediate need, not sure of long term. 

 

Not too worried about Pittman, unless this is some kind of Bo Jackson issue 

 

More concerned about Downs.

 

Maybe catching passes in the hotel parking lot wasn't such a good idea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Browns just released Joe Haag in a cap saving move.  He would be a nice veteran addition who played previously with the Colts.  I was disappointed when he left years ago.

Still holding out hope that we will pounce on Norwell once he is released.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

What’s not to understand? Downs and Pittman are injured leaving only Pierce as the only healthy starting WR. He’s insurance in case those two aren’t healthy for whatever reason to start the season. 

 

Like I said, in my opinion I would rather let our younger guys get the reps - for good or bad.  I don't think this guy is a difference maker.  Plus the season is a full summer away.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This is how I feel...   From a roster building standpoint, it seems to make most sense. Especially given the talent at skill positions in the draft. This is assuming we are tagging/resigning Pittman, which I believe we do. But a depth piece in free agency there and a day 2 pick might not be a bad thing. It's certainly more of Ballard's way of doing things. I can't imagine we don't pick up Paye's 5th year. Assuming as much, and drafting someone like Verse would time out well with not relying on him too much from the get-go. He would be a good rotational piece early while we evaluate and give Paye another 2 seasons to earn a bigger paycheck. Dayo, to me, is the odd duck in the picture, with him going into the final year of his contract. You are probably correct in the thought that DT is more pressing. If we don't sign/replace Grover, I'm not sure what the plan is. But the clock is ticking on he and Buckner, no matter which way you look at it.  Also, Ballard has repeatedly stated that he and Steichen see eye-to-eye on the concept of building the trenches. So I think there will be continued investment there. 
    • I read something that said the leaked scores were only partial. And now that I'm thinking about it more, I think they were saying the low score that was published was from his first attempt, and he might have retaken the test and done better. It's kind of fuzzy, but that might be the case.    Either way, my point was that I remember notable pushback against the leaked scores, and their importance. So if certain people are now saying that they didn't care about the S2 scores a year ago, that doesn't sound like revisionist history to me. One of those unnamed execs could be Ballard, who was very vocal about not liking how Stroud was talked about. And we know the Colts subscribe to S2...     Some suggestions... basically unsubstantiated rumors that get repeated enough that they begin to be accepted as fact. Who knows what the Panthers were doing last year, but if they let the S2 test decide which QB to draft, they deserve all the dysfunction they've experienced. I don't think even the Panthers are that lost. More likely, Bryce Young was the guy they decided on, and maybe the higher S2 was in his favor, but would have just been one of several factors that they used.      The way it's described, there's potentially value in the S2 testing. But using Stroud as the example, if you watch him play, and then look at a low S2 score, and can't figure out how to reconcile the disparity between the tape and the test score, then you don't know how to evaluate. Overall, I think way too much is being made of the S2 thing, similar to how way too much was made of Wonderlic scores. It's just one piece of info, and probably carries a small amount of importance overall.    But if a team wants to use S2 testing to prepare a development plan, especially for a QB, there's no real reason they can't have him take the test after the draft. If that's really part of the value, and the player declines the test before the draft because he doesn't want to be scrutinized over it, then ask him to take it once you've drafted him.
    • Ask Philip Rivers to give him advice on parenthood, AR should stick around in the NFL for a while then. 😉
    • Yes, I think so too.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...