Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams (Thread Updated)

stitches

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah, Perryman can be a good #4-#6 WR for us.

He could probably help us in that role. I think if we sign him probably won't be good for Strachan. Strachan isn't that fast to me anyway.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He could probably help us in that role. I think if we sign him probably won't be good for Strachan. Strachan isn't that fast to me anyway.

Strachan, had a long developmental road. Can't imagine last season debacle helped anything?

Final roster was going to be a tough get for him this year anyway I think.

We were always going to be bringing in a vet at some point, making his spot chances smaller.

Pittman

Pierce

Downs

Dulin 

McKenzie 

Locks

Perriman would creat a strong 6 man core.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure where to find this, but if I remember correctly, Perriman had a hands issue coming out of college.   A high percentage of drops.   Don’t know if that has continued in the NFL?    Can anyone confirm one way or another?

Came in the league continuing the issue.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

Has turned around a little since then.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/21/new-york-jets-breshad-perriman-drops/

Actually had 4 drops in 2020, only 2 since then, although with reduced targets.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/breshad-perriman-10069

So all in all, still seems to have a little issue.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman 

pierce

downs

dulin

McKenzie 

Am I missing anyone?  There might be room. I won’t be shocked if McKenzie doesn’t make the team.

You're selling Mckenzie short.. he can be very vital in this year's plans. Can't expect rookies to do very well in their first year, and I'd say Mckenzie can compete with Pierce for #2 production this year, and he can do very well in this scheme. He's very competitive and has the experience being the play maker on the field.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

You're selling Mckenzie short.. he can be very vital in this year's plans. Can't expect rookies to do very well in their first year, and I'd say Mckenzie can compete with Pierce for #2 production this year, and he can do very well in this scheme. He's very competitive and has the experience being the play maker on the field.

My biggest takeaway there is only room for 6. They aren’t cutting a gut they are high on and just drafted. So someone might be the odd man out.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wonder how much background Perriman has in special teams?    WRs 4-6 typically have to play ST for the Colts. 

Doesn't seem like the SPT type to me. Uninformed opinion by me.

He is going to have to win the #4 spot imo, if he wants to make the roster.

We have to sign him first though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My biggest takeaway there is only room for 6. They aren’t cutting a gut they are high on and just drafted. So someone might be the odd man out.

Doubt it is the starting slot/ or the primary slot backup, whichever he ends up being.

Plus he can return, so he has SPT value.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

WR room also doesn't have much experience apart from Pittman and Mckenzie, someone like Strachan can be stashed in practice squad now with more liberal rules and having 6 or more receivers during regular season is not a big deal anymore.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AKB said:

id rather pass. 

Kind of with you here.

I mean if it's a vet minimum contract, it doesn't really matter either way. Fine to let him come in and compete, but I don't have very high expectations, as I don't think he brings much to SPT, like Dulin and McKenzie.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Kind of with you here.

I mean if it's a vet minimum contract, it doesn't really matter either way. Fine to let him come in and compete, but I don't have very high expectations, as I don't think he brings much to SPT, like Dulin and McKenzie.

yeah, I just see him stealing snaps from other players that I actually care about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, w87r said:

Came in the league continuing the issue.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

Has turned around a little since then.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/21/new-york-jets-breshad-perriman-drops/

Actually had 4 drops in 2020, only 2 since then, although with reduced targets.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/breshad-perriman-10069

So all in all, still seems to have a little issue.

With TB last season he had 19 targets and only 9 receptions so I'll pass on him after camp.  

• w87r changed the title to [Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams

Not sure I understand the reasoning for this:

1. If he is a camp body - OK
  2. If the goal is to really have him as a contributor this year I would rather have the young guys we are trying to develop get the reps

He is 29 years old so not really a long term answer for anything.  He probably isn't improving much at this point in his career.  Not the best hands so I don't see why Richardson would need a guy like that to help him.  I get the idea of improving all areas of the roster, including the bottom, but like I said I would rather have our young guys get the game experience to see if they will improve even if it means some ugliness.

• Shive changed the title to [Schefter] Colts sign WR Breshad Perriman, waive WR Tyler Adams (Thread Updated)
13 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not sure I understand the reasoning for this:

1. If he is a camp body - OK
  2. If the goal is to really have him as a contributor this year I would rather have the young guys we are trying to develop get the reps

He is 29 years old so not really a long term answer for anything.  He probably isn't improving much at this point in his career.  Not the best hands so I don't see why Richardson would need a guy like that to help him.  I get the idea of improving all areas of the roster, including the bottom, but like I said I would rather have our young guys get the game experience to see if they will improve even if it means some ugliness.

What’s not to understand? Downs and Pittman are injured leaving only Pierce as the only healthy starting WR. He’s insurance in case those two aren’t healthy for whatever reason to start the season. 

• Like 1

I don't expect much. Perriman has never lived up to his 1st round draft position and I don't see him finally putting things together at this point in his career. Maybe the right offense with the right supporting cast and he can be serviceable? As long as it was at or near vet minimum and he doesn't take too many meaningful snaps away from our young WRs that need them, I'm fine with the signing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I really hope this has nothing to do with Pitt or Downs

It definitely does, as far as immediate need, not sure of long term. 

Not too worried about Pittman, unless this is some kind of Bo Jackson issue 

More concerned about Downs.

Maybe catching passes in the hotel parking lot wasn't such a good idea?

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Browns just released Joe Haag in a cap saving move.  He would be a nice veteran addition who played previously with the Colts.  I was disappointed when he left years ago.

Still holding out hope that we will pounce on Norwell once he is released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

What’s not to understand? Downs and Pittman are injured leaving only Pierce as the only healthy starting WR. He’s insurance in case those two aren’t healthy for whatever reason to start the season. 

Like I said, in my opinion I would rather let our younger guys get the reps - for good or bad.  I don't think this guy is a difference maker.  Plus the season is a full summer away.