Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

True. For all we know maybe Stroud was the guy until he wasn't available. We'll never know the full context unless some massive leak happens. 

All we can do is take Ballard at his word, which is they were high on Richardson for most of the time. 

Ballard often says how he got the guy he was targeting and how he was glad they fell to our pick.    Hard to say if AR would have been the pick if we were the first pick.  

• Like 1

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

So it's been while, I took a break from the forums for various reasons, but this pick is going to suck me right back in. Finally a fresh set of tyres to root for, and they might be super soft sports ones at that.

Although I see some things haven't changed!

Glad to see you. :) I thought to mention you yesterday but decided against it.

What are your thoughts on your draft pick?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem is, nobody is agreeing with you and you are making a deal out of nothing. Funniest thing I have seen all morning. Oh well, have a nice day.

I do not need anyone to agree with me. Some people do. Have a nice day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

So it's been while, I took a break from the forums for various reasons, but this pick is going to suck me right back in. Finally a fresh set of tyres to root for, and they might be super soft sports ones at that.

Awesome to see you back SteelCityColt. Hope everything is good with you. 

So I take it you are excited for the pick? 

BTW seems like I've used all my reactions for today since I went on a "liking spree" after we picked AR... and now I'm no longer allowed to react to posts :D 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They very well could have but my point is we have no way of knowing that.  At this point though it’s just a giant game of what if and that can go on forever.  We finally know who the Colts QB is going to be so it’s time to focus on that because personally, and I think you’ll agree, we’ve played what if since January on that one.

I am very happy with the pick, ready to go right now. I want to see what a healthy Taylor does with AR at QB, how Pierce thrives on the long ball, etc.. On any given play AR can take off for a 50 yard run which adds something we haven't had since Luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Some people are born 6'4" and some are born 5'11"... Some are born able to run fast while others are not. 

Just like some people are born with the hand-eye coordination... And the many other factors in the algorithm of being able to accurately throw a football. 

Sure, some people are able pick up things easier than others but they still have to learn it. 

AR can learn to throw more accurately.   

Other QBs have learned to improve their accuracy so the data doesn't back up your opinion that accuracy is set in stone at birth.

Btw I doubt anyone is born 6'4.  That would be one hell of a delivery.  And btw, if we are now talking about physical traits being something you are born with (which I already said was more set in stone), then that is probably a big reason why we chose AR.  Thanks for proving my point.  Methinks you just like to argue.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Glad to see you. :) I thought to mention you yesterday but decided against it.

What are your thoughts on your draft pick?

I've not watched a whole lot of tape on anyone this year but seeing as Stroud/Young were never likely I think it's a buy high, high ceiling, high risk pick. What stands out most for me is his attitude so far. Things can be taught; to those willing to learn.

Add Taylor into this mix, and as long as the line does a half decent job... We could be a very interesting offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW seems like I've used all my reactions for today since I went on a "liking spree" after we picked AR... and now I'm no longer allowed to react to posts :D 

Nothing beats that new QB smell what can I say... Second hand is nice, but never the same..

• Like 1

Didn't even know this was possible.  Good to know

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, the best way I've found to describe him is "personable". Some QBs seem very scripted and over-rehearsed.. and while no doubt he's had some media training, Richardson still lets his personality shine through and still tries to give real answers to most of the questions, rather than prepared PR spin. 

I agree.

Here's what I'm hoping for when he gets in a real game.  The D will load the box because they know (think) that either he or JT is going to run.  They'll be in man since they think that play can't go long.

Then he pulls the ball back from JT, looks at our new slot WR zipping down the field, and fires it 40 yards in the air.

Okay, I'll wake up now.

7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So it's been while, I took a break from the forums for various reasons, but this pick is going to suck me right back in. Technically still on a break of sorts, I'm writing this from the sunny shores of Napoli and watched the draft at 4 Italian time!

Finally a fresh set of tyres to root for, and they might be super soft sports ones at that.

Where have you been, on Mars Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- I actually took 2 weeks off, it helps sometimes to get a way :thmup:

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

For me, Ballard was on the hot seat regardless of what he did. 

Trading back and playing it safe only for the team to still fail would also net him an unemployment slip. 

Picking Will Levis and him failing would get him fired. 

Richardson failing could get him fired as well. 

I guess what I'm saying is if you know this is your last chance, why not take the big swing and gamble all the chips. If you lose, you lose and move on. But if you hit, you hit big. 

I don’t think so, at least not for the next 2-3 years. You don’t make this pick without buy in and assurances from Irsay. The fact that all 3 have said they will be patient and let him develop tells me Irsay isn’t gonna be putting Ballard on the hot seat any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Titans almost had a deal done to move to 3 and Texans had to outbid them. After hearing Ballard say they might of traded down I have a feeling colts would not of taken Levis if titans had gotten Richardson at 3. That would have been a disaster.

Ehh depends. But it does explain why Houston paid so dearly. We know we called about trading up. Ballard probably was told Houston out bid him, asked if he wanted to raise and he knowing they’d already taken stroud, weren’t going to take Richardson. 

honestly, I think the Texans saved us several picks by doing this. Cause otherwise, Titans vs Colts in a bidding war for number 3, titans need a QB, they obviously wanted AR as well since they passed on him at 11. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Sure, some people are able pick up things easier than others but they still have to learn it.  Btw I doubt anyone is born 6'4.  That would be one hell of a delivery.

AR can learn to throw more accurately.   

Other QBs have learned to improve their accuracy so the data doesn't back up your opinion that accuracy is set in stone at birth.

Thanks for making my point....

So a person is born with the ability to be 6'4" and strong, IF they follow the right diet. If they eat crap then bones might develop correctly and so on.... But mostly the height is something that can be only slightly improved with a proper diet. 

The ability to accurately deliver a football is the same thing. It is hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so many things. Some things are taught.. Like footwork. You cannot teach depth perception. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It is hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so many things. Some things are taught.. Like footwork. You cannot teach depth perception. 

You can improve a completion %.  I keep saying Luck, Burrow and also Levis were under 60% their first year starting.

Luck even had pro bowl years in the nfl throwing under 60%.  A 20 years olds % isnt set in stone forever, they can get better and lots of nfl pros did it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I don’t think so, at least not for the next 2-3 years. You don’t make this pick without buy in and assurances from Irsay. The fact that all 3 have said they will be patient and let him develop tells me Irsay isn’t gonna be putting Ballard on the hot seat any time soon. 

Yeah I agree with that. I didn't mean he would be gone after this year. I meant Chris's fate was always going to be tied to whoever he chose as his next QB. We won't know what the outcome will be for years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only thing that bothers me is they ended up with Anderson, that guy has all the makings of an all-pro.

Unless he is as good as Von Miller or Nick Bosa, he can be schemed against by good QBs, OLs and coaches. Great QBs cannot be schemed out.

Texans however gave up a future 1st for a player the Bears didn't sweat losing that they opted to trade back to No.9

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only thing that bothers me is they ended up with Anderson, that guy has all the makings of an all-pro.

He is going to be good, but they gave up quite possibly another top 5 pick in order to get him. And next year's draft is stronger than this years.... no Caleb for them... no Marvin Harrison Jr for them... 

• Like 2

BTW.... just how stupid are the Texans? They gave up their own 2024 pick in that trade up to no. 3! + a 2nd+3d!!! I have no idea why some people think this is a good move. 

I look at it kind of different. I think they paid all of that for the luxury to have back to back picks. They got a QB and a edge rusher. 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

He is going to be good, but they gave up quite possibly another top 5 pick in order to get him. And next year's draft is stronger than this years.... no Caleb for them... no Marvin Harrison Jr for them... 

Exactly!!! That is why I felt the Lions, Seahawks and Eagles did the best with both their first round picks without giving up much in the future.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

He is going to be good, but they gave up quite possibly another top 5 pick in order to get him. And next year's draft is stronger than this years.... no Caleb for them... no Marvin Harrison Jr for them.

They are all in on Stroud and Anderson, not tanking for next year.  They had plenty of picks to trade, i think they made good moves last night

Just now, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! That is why I felt the Lions, Seahawks and Eagles did the best with both their first round picks without giving up much in the future.

I still say the Eagles won the night last night. 

I can't believe they managed to pull off what they did. They now might finally have a fully fledged defense capable of opposing the high octane AFC teams. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

You can improve a completion %.  I keep saying Luck, Burrow and also Levis were under 60% their first year starting.

Luck even had pro bowl years in the nfl throwing under 60%.  A 20 years olds % isnt set in stone forever, they can get better and lots of nfl pros did taht

Luck had a great rookie year in most area's and we won 11 games but his Comp% was average at best. AR will be fine, not saying he is Luck by any means but I think he will improve and be a good QB, not a bust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

They are all in on Stroud and Anderson, not taking for next year.  They had plenty of picks to trade, i think they made good moves last night

They don't need to tank in order to be bad. I don't think they will be much better than this year. 

That is the upside regarding your main point. They think Stroud will be their savior though.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW.... just how stupid are the Texans? They gave up their own 2024 pick in that trade up to no. 3! + a 2nd+3d!!! I have no idea why some people think this is a good move. 

What do you think they should have done to get the caliber of players they got?

I live in Memphis now. My wife is from here and is a Titans fan. She was busy last night doing work stuff and couldn't catch the draft.

I'm sitting here this morning watching some more Richardson videos. Wife comes in and ask how I thought the Colts did last night. I pointed to the video on the TV. She watches for a bit and then says "You guys are going from Matt Ryan to THAT?!?!?" haha

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is the upside regarding your main point. They think Stroud will be their savior though.

They could have had their savior at 2 if they believe he's the guy... and then another top player at 12... and then another one at 33 and then their own possible top 5 pick next year to pick the savior of their savior(Marvin Harrison Jr) and then another day 2 player next year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'm writing this from the sunny shores of Napoli and watched the draft at 4 Italian time!

Enjoy! My maternal grandfather's side of the family was from a town near there. My cousins on my mom's side and my siblings hope to take a trip there all together (12 to 15 of us).

Lots of folks have taken breaks from here. @dgambill told us yesterday that he had taken a break because of the negativity. Glad to have you both back. More people means more opinions/thoughts/ideas and that makes the forum even better. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Pelt said:

I live in Memphis now. My wife is from here and is a Titans fan. She was busy last night doing work stuff and couldn't catch the draft.

I'm sitting here this morning watching some more Richardson videos. Wife comes in and ask how I thought the Colts did last night. I pointed to the video on the TV. She watches for a bit and then says "You guys are going from Matt Ryan to THAT?!?!?" haha

Hey now, Matt did have a 39 yard run in a game lmao 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I still say the Eagles won the night last night. 

I can't believe they managed to pull off what they did. They now might finally have a fully fledged defense capable of opposing the high octane AFC teams. 

However, guys like Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham are still long in the tooth, they will always have the dilemma of knowing when to phase out the older ones and replacing their reps with the young guns. It is all about the coaching. Lou Anurumo vs Jonathan Gannon, we know the results versus Mahomes. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What do you think they should have done to get the caliber of players they got?

Kept their own pick for next year ... and gotten another top player at 12(or maybe even made a small trade up if they liked anyone from the 5-10 range... and gotten another good player at 33 today... and gotten another day 2 player next year. 

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Luck even had pro bowl years in the nfl throwing under 60%.  A 20 years olds % isnt set in stone forever, they can get better and lots of nfl pros did it

It is not about completion percentage... Some offenses are designed to have higher completion percentages than others. 

It is about putting the ball in its intended place. Accuracy... You know the trait that Steichen says a quarterback must possess. Anthony Richardson does not have that. Now he has God like ability in other areas, for sure... But he is not a naturally accurate passer. Things can be done to slightly improve his accuracy. But accuracy is  a trait someone is born with... Just like height and speed. 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Titans might end up getting Levis. Rumor this morning 4 teams have already called Steelers about moving up and several tried to move back into the first for him last night. So titans might get their QB after all.

Well, Eagles and Chiefs would have easily moved back with a team in the Top 10 of Round 2 if the deal was right to get the 5th year option to move back into Round 1. If it didn't happen, it is probably because the teams wanting to move back didn't want to give up much. I will believe it when I see it, the move up for Levis.

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Things can be done to slightly improve his accuracy. But accuracy is  a trait someone is born with..

No it isnt.  You can work on foot and arm mechanics to improve it.  QBs talk about this all the time.  A lot of draft picks come into the league with bad footwork and raise their accuracy as they get professional coaching