Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't call it a desperation pick. Every draft is a crap shoot and some QB's end up great and others bust. We needed a QB and I am glad we chose him over Levis. Had we took Levis, I would've went crazy GIF. I would've been pee'd off because I think Levis will be a huge bust. 

Apparently Wilis is beating Levis in camp. Levis is certainly an enigma. He has all the tools but can't best out inferior talent wherever he lands. 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Apparently Wilis is beating Levis in camp. Levis is certainly an enigma. He has all the tools but can't best out inferior talent wherever he lands. 

Of course I don't know the man but he seems cocky and arrogant. I just don't get a good vibe from him. I have watched several games he has played in as well and he looked MEH to me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Have Bryce young or CJ Stroud signed their contacts yet? Kind of surprised Richardson hasn’t signed his yet. I expect him to before the start of camp but it is taking kind of long.

No, Anderson is the only top 5 player signed

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Have Bryce young or CJ Stroud signed their contacts yet? Kind of surprised Richardson hasn’t signed his yet. I expect him to before the start of camp but it is taking kind of long.

Eh not really. It’s become the norm , mid July to late July. 

With so many people loving the athleticism of Richardson and all the articles talking about how he has the right mindset and is putting in the work to improve, I think there is a growing population that have to high of expectations of him for year 1. Which just wait for when he has a bad game or two, that population is gonna turn into the "He's a bust and what was Ballard thinking drafting him" crowd. Personally I don't think he should play year one or for the very least not start week 1, even though Cowherd and Irsay seem to say otherwise but I'm also one that believes there is a lot of value in sitting a raw QB and letting them learn the cerebral part of the game and focus on their mechanics.

Overall I think it's gonna be a rough year for those that think we will be above 8 wins but I do think we will have flashes that show this team is on the right track.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

With so many people loving the athleticism of Richardson and all the articles talking about how he has the right mindset and is putting in the work to improve, I think there is a growing population that have to high of expectations of him for year 1. Which just wait for when he has a bad game or two, that population is gonna turn into the "He's a bust and what was Ballard thinking drafting him" crowd. Personally I don't think he should play year one or for the very least not start week 1, even though Cowherd and Irsay seem to say otherwise but I'm also one that believes there is a lot of value in sitting a raw QB and letting them learn the cerebral part of the game and focus on their mechanics.

Overall I think it's gonna be a rough year for those that think we will be above 8 wins but I do think we will have flashes that show this team is on the right track.

Irsay didn't say he needs to start week 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Irsay didn't say he needs to start week 1

I could be wrong but I don’t think Irsay has ever said he needs to start.  He said he needs to play.  While I understand the idea is that you want him to start and would hope at some point his rookie year he could, you can also use someone like AR’s talents in specific packages and expand that package as the season goes on and let him play his way into the offense, with the idea of course he eventually becomes the long term starter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unless AR just plays poorly in pre-season or looks lackluster in camp, I am starting him game 1. He needs the Reps and a solid year under his belt to get better for year 2. If we go something like 5-12, who cares really. At that point he will have true game experience. We went 3-13 in Peyton's rookie year and then in year 2 the rest was history. 

• Like 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unless AR just plays poorly in pre-season or looks lackluster in camp, I am starting him game 1. He needs the Reps and a solid year under his belt to get better for year 2. If we go something like 5-12, who cares really. At that point he will have true game experience. We went 3-13 in Peyton's rookie year and then in year 2 the rest was history. 

Peyton was also far more NFL ready than AR is.  Same with Luck.  Like Ballard said they drafted him for what he could be not who he is right now.  AR is going to require some patience will likely take longer than Manning or Luck to develop.  Would it be great if he can start week one?  Sure.  However, it’s a big ask when you look at how little experience he had coming out of college.  Not impossible but a big ask and if you start him too soon it can do more harm than good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I could be wrong but I don’t think Irsay has ever said he needs to start.  He said he needs to play.  While I understand the idea is that you want him to start and would hope at some point his rookie year he could, you can also use someone like AR’s talents in specific packages and expand that package as the season goes on and let him play his way into the offense, with the idea of course he eventually becomes the long term starter.

I think that is exactly how they will bring him along 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Peyton was also far more NFL ready than AR is.  Same with Luck.  Like Ballard said they drafted him for what he could be not who he is right now.  AR is going to require some patience will likely take longer than Manning or Luck to develop.  Would it be great if he can start week one?  Sure.  However, it’s a big ask when you look at how little experience he had coming out of college.  Not impossible but a big ask and if you start him too soon it can do more harm than good.  

If AR looks good in camp and plays well in pre-season, I don't see the problem with starting him. Not sure why some do. I have already said in so many words if he struggles in camp or plays badly in pre-season then Minshew should start and we should ease AR in during the season at times. Going into the season, many NFL media and NFL analysts are picking us to only win 5 or 6 games, some have us winning only 3 or 4. Yeah I hate losing (I hope we win 9 or 10 games) but if we go something like 5-12 or 6-11 so be it, AR would have some true NFL game experience at that point. Pretty simple to me. 

I do want to add, some people not wanting hurting AR psyche and think he having a tough year will ruin him is odd to me. He is the #4 pick and doesn't have to have the makeup of a Peyton or Luck to be fine. He isn't Zach Wilson chuckling homer simpson GIF. His personality and willing to work and learn shows me that he should be ok regardless what happens.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

My expectations are as followed

Year 1: lots of mistakes, lots of people calling him a bust game one, series one.

year 2: still lots of mistakes,  but less than year 1. People still call him a bust

year 3: fewer mistakes yet and hopefully signs of development.

if he can do that, I’ll be satisfied for now. as best case I think is that by year 4, we know if he has the IT to be the future or we’re drafting someone new

• Like 4

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Year 1: lots of mistakes, lots of people calling him a bust game one, series one.

year 2: still lots of mistakes,  but less than year 1. People still call him a bust

if he can do that, I’ll be satisfied for now. as best case I think is that by year 4, we know if he has the IT to be the future or we’re drafting someone new

Even if he has a bad season this season, I will not call him a bust. Of course we know how certain fans are though, they may but those are people with no patience. Now if AR stinks it up in year 2 I will have my concerns then. He should be better in year 2 going by QB's that have panned out in the NFL.

We got spoiled by Andrew Luck because he never played badly or had many problems (except against the Pats in the playoffs) until year 4 and that was only because he was playing injured.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if he has a bad season this season, I will not call him a bust. Of course we know how certain fans are though, they may but those are people with no patience. Now if AR stinks it up in year 2 I will have my concerns then. He should be better in year 2 going by QB's that have panned out in the NFL.

We got spoiled by Andrew Luck because he never played badly or had many problems (except against the Pats in the playoffs) until year 4 and that was only because he was playing injured.

I’m actually fully prepared for him to have a terrible season. I think his inexperience will show up. But I do see some potential there and it is easy to see why Ballard wanted him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m actually fully prepared for him to have a terrible season. I think his inexperience will show up. But I do see some potential there and it is easy to see why Ballard wanted him. 

Yeah I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with him this season.  Colts fans are use to elite QB play, and even from rookies.  I heard someone on Dan Patrick the other day who said he’d been evaluating rookie QBs for the draft since Elway and he said since then he’s had four true can’t miss elite prospects at QB, Elway, Manning, Luck, and Lawerence.  The Colts drafted three of them (yes I know Elway never played for them).  Still a lot of Colts fans expect their rookie QB to be really good really fast and turn into one of the best QBs in football really fast.  

AR is going to be different from that because he just doesn’t have the experience yet.  I look at him more like how the NBA drafts players now than how the NFL normally does.  The NBA draft has become all about potential and what guys can be, not necessarily what they have done.  That’s AR.  He has the tools to be great if developed correctly but development is going to take time and patience.  Like you said, that could lead to a really rough rookie year and fans not seeing what they have come to expect from rookie QBs ready to dump AR quickly.  

This wasn’t a draft pick for this year.  It’s a draft pick like you have said in other posts for year three or four.  So I’ll continue to preach patience with AR and hope he develops faster but I also think some fans need to be honest with themselves that these kinds of players do have a high bust rate.  Not saying AR will be a bust, time will tell, but it’s a far greater chance with him than it was with Manning or Luck.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with him this season.  Colts fans are use to elite QB play, and even from rookies.  I heard someone on Dan Patrick the other day who said he’d been evaluating rookie QBs for the draft since Elway and he said since then he’s had four true can’t miss elite prospects at QB, Elway, Manning, Luck, and Lawerence.  The Colts drafted three of them (yes I know Elway never played for them).  Still a lot of Colts fans expect their rookie QB to be really good really fast and turn into one of the best QBs in football really fast.  

AR is going to be different from that because he just doesn’t have the experience yet.  I look at him more like how the NBA drafts players now than how the NFL normally does.  The NBA draft has become all about potential and what guys can be, not necessarily what they have done.  That’s AR.  He has the tools to be great if developed correctly but development is going to take time and patience.  Like you said, that could lead to a really rough rookie year and fans not seeing what they have come to expect from rookie QBs ready to dump AR quickly.  

This wasn’t a draft pick for this year.  It’s a draft pick like you have said in other posts for year three or four.  So I’ll continue to preach patience with AR and hope he develops faster but I also think some fans need to be honest with themselves that these kinds of players do have a high bust rate.  Not saying AR will be a bust, time will tell, but it’s a far greater chance with him than it was with Manning or Luck.  

I really don't see why anyone would be disappointed or should be disappointed if AR struggles a bit in his rookie season. It is expected. I have talked to many people outside of here that are optimistic type of people and they even expect him to struggle. Many people in here that have always been optimistic from what I have read don't even want him to start on opening day. I am one of the most optimistic Colts fans that has ever been on this site and I would be surprised if AR was good-great in his rookie season. I just want to see improvement throughout the season and analyze from there. Now if he stinks it up without showing any improvement, that will be disappointing but I haven't seen many in here or outside of here that thinks he is just going to be like Andrew Luck from the beginning.

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't see why anyone would be disappointed or should be disappointed if AR struggles a bit in his rookie season. It is expected. I have talked to many people outside of here that are optimistic type of people and they even expect him to struggle. Many people in here that have always been optimistic from what I have read don't even want him to start on opening day. I am one of the most optimistic Colts fans that has ever been on this site and I would be surprised if AR was good-great in his rookie season. I just want to see improvement throughout the season and analyze from there. Now if he stinks it up without showing any improvement, that will be disappointing but I haven't seen many in here or outside of here that thinks he is just going to be like Andrew Luck from the beginning.

Are you new to this forum?!?!? There will be mushroom clouds and doomsday posts they second he takes his first in game snap and it doesn’t go for a TD

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Are you new to this forum?!?!? There will be mushroom clouds and doomsday posts they second he takes his first in game snap and it doesn’t go for a TD

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

You are probably right with a few in here but I will ignore it. It will just be the people that want instant gratification or wanted us to take Levis.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's true, but surprisingly so far many fans' expectations here have been very restrained.

That all could change when the actual games start and all hell would break loose.

In a way, it feels like now it is the calm before the storm, and that's not a good thing :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

My expectations are pretty much the exact same, although by year 3 I'm expecting him to be more developed as a passer where by the second half of the season its clicking he can read defenses, and make the right adjustments we will see an improved TD:INT ratio and hopefully a playoff win. Offseason of year 4 we will know if he is our QB or if we will be looking for a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't see why anyone would be disappointed or should be disappointed if AR struggles a bit in his rookie season

It could be risky to put him out there if hes truly not ready.  He may not know protections or where all of the receivers are going to be, he also may not be able to change plays when necessary.  They can find ways to use him if hes not starting too

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

You are probably right with a few in here but I will ignore it. It will just be the people that want instant gratification or wanted us to take Levis.

Anyone expecting Richardson to play lights out in 2023, is probably setting themselves up for disappointment, In regards to Levis, 20 something teams passed on him, so that should tell folks something. The only thing Levis has on Richardson is zero pressure to perform. One is a top 4 pick the other a 2nd round pick. 

2 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

Anyone expecting Richardson to play lights out in 2023, is probably setting themselves up for disappointment, In regards to Levis, 20 something teams passed on him, so that should tell folks something. The only thing Levis has on Richardson is zero pressure to perform. One is a top 4 pick the other a 2nd round pick. 

20 something teams passed on Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Jalen Hurts too.  Not saying Levis will end up as good as them but 20 teams passing on him isn’t a death sentence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

20 something teams passed on Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, and Jalen Hurts too.  Not saying Levis will end up as good as them but 20 teams passing on him isn’t a death sentence.

And Purdy was taken dead last in the draft

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

And Purdy was taken dead last in the draft

Yeah.  I fully get why fans are pulling for AR and not for Levis but some going as far to proclaim him a bust already, which in fairness Peter Nova wasn’t, because he feel in the draft is premature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

20 something teams passed on Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Jalen Hurts too.  Not saying Levis will end up as good as them but 20 teams passing on him isn’t a death sentence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts like this are one of the many reasons why @GoColts8818 is one of our best posters in our community!  

Drop!     The!     Mic!!!!!     

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts like this are one of the many reasons why @GoColts8818 is one of our best posters in our community!  

Drop!     The!     Mic!!!!!     

And you’re one of the worst…..

kidding kidding kidding. Sorry I couldn’t resist. You’re all good my friend

Here's an interesting stat ... for the last 5 years... the success rate on QB runs on 3d and 3 or lower is 80%!!!! This is before you even take into account all the cases when you don't get the 1st down but get like... a 4th and 1. 

• Like 1

I'm with Kevin Bowen, that the #1 job for the Colts this year is getting AR the playing time he needs to develop.  And any time with Minshew playing is time not doing job #1.

I think the default position is to start AR from the beginning.  And the only reason I wouldn't is if AR truly looks terrible in preseason.  If he's truly Not Ready, and not just Inexperienced.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm with Kevin Bowen, that the #1 job for the Colts this year is getting AR the playing time he needs to develop.  And any time with Minshew playing is time not doing job #1.

I think the default position is to start AR from the beginning.  And the only reason I wouldn't is if AR truly looks terrible in preseason.  If he's truly Not Ready, and not just Inexperienced.

Job number one is developing AR not getting him playing time.  If playing time will help develop him (and at some point it will) then yes that becomes a priority and that’s when you’ll see the Colts make the switch.  AR is a very raw talent that is going to need a lot of development and throwing him out there too can hurt his development.  

Make no mistake AR will play some even if Minshew starts but the Colts aren’t going to rush AR out there to start before they feel it’s best for him.  This isn’t Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck who is coming in NFL ready.  AR needs work to get to that point.  Is it possible he gets there by the start of the season?  Yes but it’s a big ask.  With that said if he does yes he will start from the get go.  If he doesn’t though some games of starting Minshew to help develop AR into a legit franchise QB is a very small price to play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Job number one is developing AR not getting him playing time.  If playing time will help develop him (and at some point it will) then yes that becomes a priority and that’s when you’ll see the Colts make the switch.  AR is a very raw talent that is going to need a lot of development and throwing him out there too can hurt his development.  

Make no mistake AR will play some even if Minshew starts but the Colts aren’t going to rush AR out there to start before they feel it’s best for him.  This isn’t Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck who is coming in NFL ready.  AR needs work to get to that point.  Is it possible he gets there by the start of the season?  Yes but it’s a big ask.  With that said if he does yes he will start from the get go.  If he doesn’t though some games of starting Minshew to help develop AR into a legit franchise QB is a very small price to play.

We'll see what they do.  It matters less what I think they should do, or what you think they should do, but what they actually do, and especially if it works or not.

(There's a reason why they're NFL coaches and I'm not!)

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And for my money, here’s todays winner for Best Post of the Day!     :lombardi:      :thmup:     :scoregood:

• Like 1