Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Darnell Washington - TE

AustexColt

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Im completely on board with this. Washington has the potential to be Gronk-like as a blocker. And I think he was very under utilized as a receiver at Georgia. He is a Ballard guy for sure. 

A combination of Woods and Washington could be extremely good.

To many tight ends now that need to spread their wings. Need players makers at wr.

Washington's lack of production concerns me.  He is capable of great feats of athleticism but doesn't show up enough in games.  I have been told that is because a certain other TE on that roster cut into his opportunities.  But if he's gonna be Gronk why hasn't he shown it.

I have seen him slotted round 2 mostly and he looks like good value but there are other TEs I would take before him who are said to be round 2-3 talents.

I don't think we have TE on our radar with our 2nd round pick, unfortunately. I think it's either CB or IOL, but I'd REALLY like for us to get Washington. He's a BEAST. Led him lead block for JT and it's homerun everytime baby!

We sorely missed Doyle last season and Washington would go a long way in replacing Doyle's blocking.

6 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Washington's lack of production concerns me.  He is capable of great feats of athleticism but doesn't show up enough in games.  I have been told that is because a certain other TE on that roster cut into his opportunities.  But if he's gonna be Gronk why hasn't he shown it.

I have seen him slotted round 2 mostly and he looks like good value but there are other TEs I would take before him who are said to be round 2-3 talents.

TBF, that other TE (Bowers) is likely to be a top 10 pick next year. But Washington is a pure upside play. 

7 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I am not passing on a potentially great TE for Alec Ogletree.

I agree we need another wideout, but we dont have a TE who has proven he can block. 

We currently have 2 TE's whose forte is purely blocking in Kalinic who started 2 games last year as an NFL rookie (CFL vet) and Pharoah Brown 36 starts over 5 seasons.

TE Room- Woods,Granson,Ogletree,Brown,kalinic,Wydermyer and MAC (Likely cut but still on roster). 7 is too many as it is with other positions almost bare boned.  TE one of our deepest spots on the club.

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

We currently have 2 TE's whose forte is purely blocking in Kalinic who started 2 games last year as an NFL rookie (CFL vet) and Pharoah Brown 36 starts over 5 seasons.

TE Room- Woods,Granson,Ogletree,Brown,kalinic,Wydermyer and MAC (Likely cut but still on roster). 7 is too many as it is with other positions almost bare boned.  TE one of our deepest spots on the club.

I dont like either of those guys and I think Washington will be a GREAT blocker, much better than either of those guys.

I could say the same thing about receiver. We have guys there with experience. But that doesnt mean we cant upgrade the position.

I think we have a pretty good group of pass-catching TE's currently on our roster.

This is a DEEP TE draft - and - it wouldn't be surprising to see Chris Ballard use a draft pick on a block-centric TE.

I predict Mo Ali-Cox and his lofty contract will be traded or cut.

I predict that we keep 3 TE's on our roster - with another stashed on our backup roster.

I'd like to see them add a legit slot threat.  You can do that a couple different ways, via TE or WR source.  What I would consider an ideal start for this draft would be that it begins with them getting their QB at 4 and then they scoop a slot weapon in round two.

Example from the WR side would be Downs.  From the TE side would be LaPorta.  Then you let that rook compete with Minshew and whoever wins in camp is the guy and he'll have himself a nice complement of weapons as well as a fine RB behind him in the offensive backfield.

11 hours ago, stitches said:

Some people think he can be a TE to LT transition. After we drafted Woods last year, I kind of doubt we would draft Washington, but he clearly has some talent. 

I have heard this but dont really understand it at all.

The dude is huge and runs a sub 4.7. Why would you want him to transition to OT? Makes little sense to me. He is a fantastic blocker from day 1, as a TE. But playing OT is much different. 

I see him as a 6th OL who can help out on elite pass rushers and be a weapon in the redzone. For a run-centric team who struggled in pass pro and scoring TDs in the redzone....I see him as a great fit.

3 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The dude is huge and runs a sub 4.7. Why would you want him to transition to OT? Makes little sense to me. He is a fantastic blocker from day 1, as a TE. But playing OT is much different. 

I see him as a 6th OL who can help out on elite pass rushers and be a weapon in the redzone. For a run-centric team who struggled in pass pro and scoring TDs in the redzone....I see him as a great fit.

Because he looks better as a blocker and he's somewhat raw as a route runner. :dunno: I'm not sure I would do it and it might be too risky for a pick this high(Jason Peters made the same transition, but he was UDFA, not a late 1st-2nd rounder)

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Because he looks better as a blocker and he's somewhat raw as a route runner. :dunno: I'm not sure I would do it and it might be too risky for a pick this high(Jason Peters made the same transition, but he was UDFA, not a late 1st-2nd rounder)

Yeah, I get that but he would have to put on about 40lbs and it turns him into a big project. I just wouldn't do that. I think he could be a fantastic TE, even with a limited route tree. 

Washington's upside is tremendous, but I think he'll get drafted at the bottom of the 1st, maybe top of 2nd. I'd much rather get a guy like Payne Durham that is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0 later on in the draft. We already have a physical freak in Woods that should thrive in Steichen's offense. I feel like our 2nd round pick could be used on a bigger need than TE, especially one that hasn't had a high level of production in college.

57 minutes ago, Shive said:

Washington's upside is tremendous, but I think he'll get drafted at the bottom of the 1st, maybe top of 2nd. I'd much rather get a guy like Payne Durham that is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0 later on in the draft. We already have a physical freak in Woods that should thrive in Steichen's offense. I feel like our 2nd round pick could be used on a bigger need than TE, especially one that hasn't had a high level of production in college.

I’m on board with Durham as well. 

7 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont want the Colts to ask Jelani to bulk up and be the blocking TE we need because he has so much potential as a receiver. He needs to focus on his route running and staying lean and fast.

I feel like thats why they are holding onto Mo to see if Jelani is ready to take his spot.

He already weighs 253 pounds. How big does he have to get to block?

15 hours ago, Shive said:

Ballard and Steichen goes:

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

He already weighs 253 pounds. How big does he have to get to block?

On that frame, 253 lbs is very lean.

Darnell Washington is 265 with a very similar frame. And he doesnt look overweight.

Jelani has really thin legs for a man that size. And I think he is gonna struggle as an inline blocker until he improves his leg strength. 

Hes 253 but the guys hes gonna be blocking in that scenario are heavier and stronger than he is, in most cases.

Not saying he cant do it.......I just would rather he focus on his route running and being as quick as possible.

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

On that frame, 253 lbs is very lean.

Darnell Washington is 265 with a very similar frame. And he doesnt look overweight.

Jelani has really thin legs for a man that size. And I think he is gonna struggle as an inline blocker until he improves his leg strength. 

Hes 253 but the guys hes gonna be blocking in that scenario are heavier and stronger than he is, in most cases.

Not saying he cant do it.......I just would rather he focus on his route running and being as quick as possible.

If they want someone quick,  I'd think they would draft someone about 20 pounds smaller. Add 10 pounds of muscle on his legs then and teach him to block and still run some routes. He's not going to be Dallas Clark if he loses 20 pounds.

20 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Just a bad idea. With the team having genuine depth problems at several key positions, grabbing yet another TE, especially early in the draft, should not be on the shopping list. CB; IOL; WR. All are need positions critical to this team’s growth and there is talent there in rounds 2-4. That’s where the team should be focused, and I suspect that’s where they’ll go. 

23 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

If they want someone quick,  I'd think they would draft someone about 20 pounds smaller. Add 10 pounds of muscle on his legs then and teach him to block and still run some routes. He's not going to be Dallas Clark if he loses 20 pounds.

Jelani is a top flight athlete as a TE. Not sure why you think he isnt quick enough?

I disagree that he cant be like Dallas Clark. 

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Just a bad idea. With the team having genuine depth problems at several key positions, grabbing yet another TE, especially early in the draft, should not be on the shopping list. CB; IOL; WR. All are need positions critical to this team’s growth and there is talent there in rounds 2-4. That’s where the team should be focused, and I suspect that’s where they’ll go. 

You wanna draft for depth in the 2nd round?

Im looking for a potential star player. Washington becomes TE 1 right away due to his ability as a blocker. The guy is fantastic and would make an impact in that area, no doubt about it. He isnt picked to improve depth, he is picked to make an impact and he can only do that by being on the field.  

We have starters at WR. Its Pierce and Pitt, like ot or not. We need a slot more than anytjing and I dont think you need to draft one in the 2nd round. I also think McKenzie is pretty good. We are better there than people suggest.

CB is one I can absolutely agree with. But there are some guys out there in FA i could see us bringing in still. And remember, we still have other picks. If we brought in a Shaq Griffin type of guy and drafted someone in round 3, I would be fine with that.

IOL? By all accounts, this draft is plenty deep enough to land a good RG in round 4 or 5. I wouldnt target one that high.

I dont think this team has the depth problems you think we do. Our issue is mostly consistent QB play. We are pretty good everywhere else. We have some deficiencies like every other team in the league. But nothing glaring IMO. We have plenty of cap space to be active in the trade market and free agency to address those needs.

I would be shocked that a team who struggled to block people last year wouldnt be interested in a high level blocker like Washington.  

Some of the TEs in this draft would move Jelani aside rather quickly.  He is never going to be a Dallas Clark.  Guys don't reinvent who they are when transitioning to the NFL.  They grow into who they are and it will be good enough or it won't.

Woods is a solid TE.  In this offense with good run balance he'll be able to get a lot of great open looks too by delaying his release and DBs moving off him in their checks.  But that's all he's ever going to be.

If the Colts want more than that they should look hard at some of the TEs in this draft.  You want Dallas Clark take a long look at LaPorta.  That's a guy who is cut from that particular cloth.

5 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

You wanna draft for depth in the 2nd round?

Im looking for a potential star player. Washington becomes TE 1 right away due to his ability as a blocker. The guy is fantastic and would make an impact in that area, no doubt about it. He isnt picked to improve depth, he is picked to make an impact and he can only do that by being on the field.  

We have starters at WR. Its Pierce and Pitt, like ot or not. We need a slot more than anytjing and I dont think you need to draft one in the 2nd round. I also think McKenzie is pretty good. We are better there than people suggest.

CB is one I can absolutely agree with. But there are some guys out there in FA i could see us bringing in still. And remember, we still have other picks. If we brought in a Shaq Griffin type of guy and drafted someone in round 3, I would be fine with that.

IOL? By all accounts, this draft is plenty deep enough to land a good RG in round 4 or 5. I wouldnt target one that high.

I dont think this team has the depth problems you think we do. Our issue is mostly consistent QB play. We are pretty good everywhere else. We have some deficiencies like every other team in the league. But nothing glaring IMO. We have plenty of cap space to be active in the trade market and free agency to address those needs.

I would be shocked that a team who struggled to block people last year wouldnt be interested in a high level blocker like Washington.  

No, not depth. The team badly needs a starting CB, RG, and a speedy, “take the top off the defense” receiver. Fill those spots with some quality early picks and you’ve improved the team immediately. 

I’m not against grabbing a solid blocking, decent hands TE later in the draft…. just not early. 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:24 AM, Boondoggle said:

Another pick with athleticism but doesn’t produce consistently.  I have visions of Richardson following the same path.  I really hope he’s not the pick.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:54 AM, holeymoley99 said:

The thing is; Doyle was not only a great blocker but a reliable pass catcher. 
       I was thinking going for a blocking TE in the later rounds to compete but maybe one of the guys could develop.

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

No, not depth. The team badly needs a starting CB, RG, and a speedy, “take the top off the defense” receiver. Fill those spots with some quality early picks and you’ve improved the team immediately. 

I’m not against grabbing a solid blocking, decent hands TE later in the draft…. just not early. 

You think they are gonna find those 3 players AND a QB in 1 draft?

This is gonna take some time and some of those holes are gonna be filled with short term solutions.

Archived