Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you rather stay put for Levis and/or Richardson at 4, or trade up for Stroud/Young at 3

Yoshinator

Would you rather stay put at 4 for Richardson/Levis or trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather stay put at 4 for Richardson/Levis or trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young?

• Stay put for Richardson/Levis
    • Trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yes, that cannot be discounted and I hope you are right. An argument can also be made also that if you draft a QB that needs considerable development and does not see the field for 2/3 years - waiting a year to go all in for a QB that could be under center within a year may be worth it . I mean the Panthers just moved from the 9th position. But yeah, there is no guarantees everything would fall into place.

Any QB, including Caleb Williams will take 2 years at least to reach their ceiling at the NFL level if there’s one to be had.

Gone are the days of giving QBs 3-4 years of showing us if they can turn things around. Everyone wants the next Mahomes or Burrow. Hurts and Allen took their 3rd year. It can happen, it might not happen but it doesn’t mean we refrain from swinging and striking when we’re in striking distance even if it’s a slightly less rated prospect. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

That's not the norm and it took years to get the Josh Allen we see now.

You just made my point. Until these guys play in the league know one can predict if they will be good or bad. Mahomes and Allen would of been the first pick if teams had a crystal ball. Scouts don’t even get it right. It’s a crap shoot so all we can do is see how things work our before saying so done is going yo be bad for good.  No it didn’t take years for Allen.Bills one ten games and made playoffs his second year.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Any QB, including Caleb Williams will take 2 years at least to reach their ceiling at the NFL level if there’s one to be had.

Gone are the days of giving QBs 3-4 years of showing us if they can turn things around. Everyone wants the next Mahomes or Burrow. Hurts and Allen took their 3rd year. It can happen, it might not happen but it doesn’t mean we refrain from swinging and striking when we’re in striking distance even if it’s a slightly less rated prospect. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.

If a QB doesn’t have you at least contending for a playoff spot by year two the GM isn’t doing their job or that QB is probably not the right one. Allen had bills in playoffs his second year.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If a QB doesn’t have you at least contending for a playoff spot by year two the GM isn’t doing their job or that QB is probably not the right one. Allen had bills in playoffs his second year.

Contending for division, yes. If everyone expects a SB appearance by year 2 like Mahomes or Burrow, they’re not realistic.

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You just made my point. Until these guys play in the league know one can predict if they will be good or bad. Mahomes and Allen would of been the first pick if teams had a crystal ball. Scouts don’t even get it right. It’s a crap shoot so all we can do is see how things work our before saying so done is going yo be bad for good.  No it didn’t take years for Allen.Bills one ten games and made playoffs his second year.

I'm talking what Allen is now. Look if Levis succeeds, I'll be the first to say I'm wrong, but imo he has bust written all over him. I don't like his game, his attitude, and I think he's more hyped then Anthony Richardson 

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

In what way are Young and Stroud overhyped? Imo, their franchise-altering QBs. I'm scared at the idea that we'll have to play one every year for the next 10+ years

Many ways. But mainly, I get a sick feeling watching film on them. I don’t know if i can say it’s one thing more than another, it’s a combination of decision making, being in none pro level systems and just their tape. I’m not expert. But I’m just not impressed. I feel like I’m watching Johnny Manziel film when I watch young, Stroud reminds me of Sam Darnold and Levi’s reminds me of Wentz 2.0. 

richardson just plain can’t hit the broadside of a barn from ten feet but can thread a needle at 30 yards, makes no sense. 

Overall, it’s a gut feeling thing. But if I absolutely had to pick between those 4, I’d honestly and seriously would take Richardson. IF he walks what he talks and is serious about being a legend one day, but also admits he has a lot of developing to do, and IF his work ethic backs that up, I’m taking him even if I had number 1 overall. But those are a lot of ifs and I don’t know what exactly a team can do to confirm all that. 

that said, as long as we either stand pat at 4, or trade back a few spots, I’ll be onboard. But I don’t want to sell the farm to move up any at all to take a shot on one of these 4 guys when they all scream bust to me, some more so than others but overall, I’d say the chance of any of these 4 being a long term starter in this league are less than 10 percent 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The funny thing for me is when people say Levis didn’t lift up his team. That was a bad Kentucky team and they won 7 games. They got shut out without him in their bowl. He did lift up his team.

So you mean the team struggled in their bowl game when the starting senior QB who took all the reps all season bailed on them at the end?  Of course they struggled. Their leader quit on them.  The excuses made for Levis are ridiculous. None of the other QB’s get that much grace given to them.  They’re judged harshly on their tape and any poor performance. But Levis gets excuses made when he has multiple WTH games both years starting (yes even his much ballyhooed but average junior year).

And here this poll is with the scenario of us being able to trade up to 3 for Young or Stroud and people are voting to stay at 4?  Ridiculous. Might as well take Richardson off and leave Levis and I bet the poll would be the same.  We’d rather have an average QB over 2 guys who have proven themselves against the toughest competition in the nation. Crazy.

Switch Levis career with Young or Stroud and he’d be considered generational and the sure fire #1 pick while neither of them would get a sniff at round 1 if they had his career tape.  Yet here Levis is getting elevated above 2 guys who have done everything top drafted QB’s are supposed to do.  Feels like another Mitch Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson and Zach Wilson & Trey Lance over Fields scenario. 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Many ways. But mainly, I get a sick feeling watching film on them. I don’t know if i can say it’s one thing more than another, it’s a combination of decision making, being in none pro level systems and just their tape. I’m not expert. But I’m just not impressed. I feel like I’m watching Johnny Manziel film when I watch young, Stroud reminds me of Sam Darnold and Levi’s reminds me of Wentz 2.0. 

richardson just plain can’t hit the broadside of a barn from ten feet but can thread a needle at 30 yards, makes no sense. 

Overall, it’s a gut feeling thing. But if I absolutely had to pick between those 4, I’d honestly and seriously would take Richardson. IF he walks what he talks and is serious about being a legend one day, but also admits he has a lot of developing to do, and IF his work ethic backs that up, I’m taking him even if I had number 1 overall. But those are a lot of ifs and I don’t know what exactly a team can do to confirm all that. 

that said, as long as we either stand pat at 4, or trade back a few spots, I’ll be onboard. But I don’t want to sell the farm to move up any at all to take a shot on one of these 4 guys when they all scream bust to me, some more so than others but overall, I’d say the chance of any of these 4 being a long term starter in this league are less than 10 percent 

With Richardson there’s a Plan B with his legs and RPOs, and Hurts like strength in his running game, even if it may be short lived. Levis - there isn’t one. So I get what you are saying. 

I’m going AR over Levis too.

3 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

After the results of the last couple of years at QB position Ballard is sure to know he cannot miss on this pick  If the Colts stay at 4 and select a QB, both Ballard and Steichen would have had to have done their due diligence on both Richardson/Levis.

If Ballard is going to truly "Move Heaven and Earth" for a QB, I would like to see the Colts build a war chest and secure Caleb Williams next year.  I watched him up close at the Cotton Bowl against my Son's team and he was virtually unstoppable - Williams has all the traits and will be a bonafide franchise QB in the NFL. Let Minshew play for a year.

And you’re banking on getting Williams who is likely next year’s top pick? That’s a plan almost certain to fail. A team with next year’s first pick will most likely need a QB. They aren’t trading it. 

You have to go for your next QB this year. It’s way past time and this team cannot succeed without fixing this glaring need. No one on this Board knows who will be successful long term and who won’t. Hit or miss, the Colts will have to make their best call and go for it. 

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You see Manizel in Young? I'm sorry, but I don't see that comparison at all. And Darnold wishes he had the arm talent and accuracy of Stroud. I don't know what film you're watching, but your comparisons are way off.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Another thing to consider is Steichen just went to the sb with Jalen Hurts at qb(someone who was NOT highly regarded coming into his draft), maybe Steichen thinks he can be successful with anyone of the top 5 guys. Maybe he's a head coach who has enormous confidence in his abilities to develop and direct players. Who knows, we may be trading out of the 4 spot and taking Hooker mid to late 1st round. Six more weeks of discussion before we find out! Go Colts!

Not highly regarded?  He was a 2nd round pick.  Finished 2nd in the Heisman.  There was a lot there to work with.  And compare his first 2 NFL seasons to Andrew Luck’s.  Guy has improved each year in college and each year in the pros. 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You see Manizel in Young? I'm sorry, but I don't see that comparison at all. And Darnold wishes he had the arm talent and accuracy of Stroud. I don't know what film you're watching, but your comparisons are way off.

To each their own. 

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

So you mean the team struggled in their bowl game when the starting senior QB who took all the reps all season bailed on them at the end?  Of course they struggled. Their leader quit on them.  The excuses made for Levis are ridiculous. None of the other QB’s get that much grace given to them.  They’re judged harshly on their tape and any poor performance. But Levis gets excuses made when he has multiple WTH games both years starting (yes even his much ballyhooed but average junior year).

And here this poll is with the scenario of us being able to trade up to 3 for Young or Stroud and people are voting to stay at 4?  Ridiculous. Might as well take Richardson off and leave Levis and I bet the poll would be the same.  We’d rather have an average QB over 2 guys who have proven themselves against the toughest competition in the nation. Crazy.

Switch Levis career with Young or Stroud and he’d be considered generational and the sure fire #1 pick while neither of them would get a sniff at round 1 if they had his career tape.  Yet here Levis is getting elevated above 2 guys who have done everything top drafted QB’s are supposed to do.  Feels like another Mitch Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson and Zach Wilson & Trey Lance over Fields scenario. 

He was injured and it would of been stupid to play and not get that injury healed before the combine and the draft.

My thing  is I am not going to hate on any of these four. It’s ok to point out weaknesses. But with Levis there seems to be unjustified hate that gas nothing to do with his play. I have preferences but I sure am not going to hate or say someone  is going to be bad before they play.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To each their own. 

I've said it before in other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

Young- A more athletic Drew Brees with how well he works in the pocket. 

Stroud - Rivers with Herbert like athleticism. Basically he has Rivers accuracy, but can move like Herbert with similar arm strength.

AR - Cam Newton/Tim Tebow. Yes his accuracy is that bad. Couldn't even throw an out route at the combine, but his saving grace is he's an athletic freak like Cam.

Levis - Daniel Jones. I basically see the same player and that doesn't excite me one bit.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was injured and it would of been stupid to play and not get that injury healed before the combine and the draft.

My thing  is I am not going to hate on any of these four. It’s ok to point out weaknesses. But with Levis there seems to be unjustified hate that gas nothing to do with his play. I have preferences but I sure am not going to hate or say someone  is going to be bad before they play.

But why was he injured?  Because he holds the ball in the pocket and he’s very reckless with his running trying to be Josh Allen.  Those traits got Luck & Wentz hurt and short circuited their careers.  I’m seeing lots of similarities in Levis.  But he’s skewing closer to Wentz to Luck imo.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I've said it before in other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

Young- A more athletic Drew Brees with how well he works in the pocket. 

Stroud - Rivers with Herbert like athleticism. Basically he has Rivers accuracy, but can move like Herbert with similar arm strength.

AR - Cam Newton/Tim Tebow. Yes his accuracy is that bad. Couldn't even throw an out route at the combine, but his saving grace is he's an athletic freak like Cam.

Levis - Daniel Jones. I basically see the same player and that doesn't excite me one bit.

Again. To each their own.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is a lot of truth about stroud not throwing into tight windows that could cause an issue in the NFL. Also the knock on him once he gets hit once he starts to crumble. Young and Levis both had good numbers on third down while facing pressure. 

I disagree on Stroud not throwing into tight windows. I saw lots of downfield back shoulder throws.  His best trait is ball placement.

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

And you’re banking on getting Williams who is likely next year’s top pick? That’s a plan almost certain to fail. A team with next year’s first pick will most likely need a QB. They aren’t trading it. 

You have to go for your next QB this year. It’s way past time and this team cannot succeed without fixing this glaring need. No one on this Board knows who will be successful long term and who won’t. Hit or miss, the Colts will have to make their best call and go for it. 

Glaring need and overdue- absolutely. Sitting at #4 I feel the Colts should be  in a position of strength to move up once they zeroed in on their QB in this class. Instead they maybe drafting the 4th best QB in the draft if Ariana trades out with another team. The team was in a unique position. Does not look like they are all in on particular QB at this time.  I hope this s not a missed opportunity by Ballard. I know Ballard loves his draft picks, but the team is also not going anywhere without the -right QB. Ballard will be able to fall back on - he selected the best QB still on the board which provides him cover. Hope he is prepared to go #3 if necessary. Steichen’s ability to develop a QB will be the wildcard going forward.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Levis int are overblown. He wasn’t bad his problem  weapons and trouble putting up TD.  

Those are the excuses I’m talking about. It’s everyone else but him. I wonder if he actually thinks that way too?  Not his fault. It was his teammates’. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I agree with what you’re saying. I have an issue with the fact the Colts were uniquely in a position to trade with the Bears who were not going to go QB at 1. 

Potentially, now they are in a position to possibly take the 4th QB off the board. While the cost is steep, I felt they should have put themselves in the position to have the pick of the litter. Time will tell how this plays out.

I am sure you know that both Mahoney’s and Allen were acquired by teams that moved up in the draft to get their guy.

@Jared Cisneros I'm gonna bypass all of the Hooker/Bennett argument, and all of the "I know you are but what am I" stuff, and answer your OP question.

My ranking of the 4 QB's:

1 - CJ Stroud

2 - Will Levis

3 - Bryce Young

4 - Anthony Richardson

I believe that Stroud will be the #1 overall pick, and that Houston will also choose a QB at #2.  No, I don't think Stroud will be there at #4.  At all.

So, if we are looking at Levis or Will Anderson at #4, I'll take Levis.

If we're looking at Young or Anderson, I'll take Anderson (and hope I'm right).

If we're looking at Richardson or Anderson, I'll take Anderson and sleep well.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I agree with what you’re saying. I have an issue with the fact the Colts were uniquely in a position to trade with the Bears who were not going to go QB at 1. 

Potentially, now they are in a position to possibly take the 4th QB off the board. While the cost is steep, I felt they should have put themselves in the position to have the pick of the litter. Time will tell how this plays out.

At least the rookie contract allows teams to recycle QBs every 4 years. You’re either in QB purgatory or in QB starvation mode. We’re just not used to this and other franchises are laughing saying “You had Peyton and Luck for the longest time by picking No.1, now you know what it’s like looking up from within the Top 5 of the draft”.

News flash - Peyton didn’t make it to his first AFCCG till Year 6, and Luck did it in Year 3. Both were stopped by Brady. Big Ben, not as good a QB as Peyton went to the SB in Year 2. That’s why a lot of forum posters overreact to a lesser prospect because this idea of the QB having to shoulder the burden hasn’t been driven out of our subconscious since the Peyton/Luck days.

11 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I am sure you know that both Mahoney’s and Allen were acquired by teams that moved up in the draft to get their guy.

At 10th and 7th you....  uniquely blathering .... Some remember those guys then FELL TO THEM. As will ours says the Owner.

Get off your Shetland pony cowboy.

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

At 10th and 7th you....  uniquely blathering .... Some remember those guys then FELL TO THEM. As will ours says the Owner.

Get off your Shetland pony cowboy.

Dude , this was a healthy debate with another good poster on this forum that we do not see it the same way. That is what transpires on a forum.  You throwing forum insults adds absolutely zero to the conversion.  If you don’t like it - how about just not bothering to read it, because the only blather is yours.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

So take somebody even if you don't like them. Chuckle 

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At least the rookie contract allows teams to recycle QBs every 4 years. You’re either in QB purgatory or in QB starvation mode. We’re just not used to this and other franchises are laughing saying “You had Peyton and Luck for the longest time by picking No.1, now you know what it’s like looking up from within the Top 5 of the draft”.

News flash - Peyton didn’t make it to his first AFCCG till Year 6, and Luck did it in Year 3. Both were stopped by Brady. Big Ben, not as good a QB as Peyton went to the SB in Year 2. That’s why a lot of forum posters overreact to a lesser prospect because this idea of the QB having to shoulder the burden hasn’t been driven out of our subconscious since the Peyton/Luck days.

Yes I know about Peyton. I have been following the colts for over 50 years and remember well the early struggles. I will leave it at this- I just thought the Colts could have positioned themselves better because I believe there is a sizable drop-off after the first two QB’s. Thanks for offering your point of view.

8 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Dude , this was a healthy debate with another good poster on this forum that we do not see it the same way. That is what transpires on a forum.  You throwing forum insults adds absolutely zero to the conversion.  If you don’t like it - how about just not bothering to read it, because the only blather is yours.

Chicago willingly moved back to 9th.

Proving we were Not uniquely positioned. OAKLAND was outbid also.

Your premise is wrong. 

And we determined there was not a player worth the asking price.

They All have flaws. It wasn't a time to be stupid.

10 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yes I know about Peyton. I have been following the colts for over 50 years and remember well the early struggles. I will leave it at this- I just thought the Colts could have positioned themselves better because I believe there is a sizable drop-off after the first two QB’s. Thanks for offering your point of view.

Only You can tell which of these 4 will be the best in year 3. Amazing 

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dude?  If we could get 8-11 yrs out of any QB that gets us plenty of wins, what's the problem? 

Age discrimination is not acceptable. 

Age is a big factor. QBs do not learn how to play in the NFL in the first couple years. Hooker doesn't have a couple years factor an injury that most likely going to redshirt him and you're looking at hard path to make it in the NFL. Imo, he'll go to the Saints or Commanders.

I don't know which of the current crop will make the best transition from college star to NFL starter.  What I do know is the Colts have a top-notch GROUP of talent evaluators (HC, OC and scouts) who, as a TEAM will best advise Ballard and the owner on the best route they see to wring the most value out of the draft,  They are all scouring tape, interviews and other sources to get past the glitz and glamour of the SEC and Big Ten to determine who the best QB is for the franchise.  That QB may or may not be not be in this year's pool of talent.  As one who has followed this team from Unitas to Ryan, I believe/hope they'll COLLECTIVELY see through the hype and do what will make this TEAM competitive again, whether that's move up, stand pat or trade back.

What I won't do is fling insults at fellow forum members or hang silly, deprecating nicknames on the professionals doing their best for the franchise--as they see it.

We still have 37 long days to wait.

Sorry for the long post.  Its early.

Hey Smoke317, to be clear I have been pounding the drum for Stroud for 3 months now, he is the best player in this draft but I can't see him being there at 4. Hurts was in no way, shape, or form considered a "franchise qb" going into his draft. Hooker has had a better college career than Hurts, that is my comparison of Hooker to Hurts. Hurts was considered a mid to late round pick in the 2020 draft. If I remember correctly there were some shocked and puzzled analyst when that selection was announced on night 2 of the draft.

Archived