Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you rather stay put for Levis and/or Richardson at 4, or trade up for Stroud/Young at 3

Yoshinator

Would you rather stay put at 4 for Richardson/Levis or trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather stay put at 4 for Richardson/Levis or trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young?

• Stay put for Richardson/Levis
    • Trade up to 3 for Stroud/Young

Pure conjecture here, but

Another team gives the Cards a much more attractive offer that Colts and leapfrog them to #3 

I think Ballard stays put at #4 and picks BPA (not a QB) 

I also can see Ballard (thinking he's smartest person in the room) thinking he'll get Hooker in 2nd round, but another team will snatch him up before then. 

Forum proceeds to explode. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I agree with what you’re saying. I have an issue with the fact the Colts were uniquely in a position to trade with the Bears who were not going to go QB at 1. 

Potentially, now they are in a position to possibly take the 4th QB off the board. While the cost is steep, I felt they should have put themselves in the position to have the pick of the litter. Time will tell how this plays out.

I am sure you know that both Mahoney’s and Allen were acquired by teams that moved up in the draft to get their guy.

But not to number 1. In fact, in all of the years of a QB taken 1 overall, only 4 went on to win a Super Bowl, only one of those with the team that drafted him.

17 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Another team gives the Cards a much more attractive offer that Colts and leapfrog them to #3 

I also can see Ballard (thinking he's smartest person in the room) thinking he'll get Hooker in 2nd round, but another team will snatch him up before then. 

I think the forum explodes no matter what happens or who we take. The fact that there’s not even a general consensus on which QB to target, speaks volumes. 

7 minutes ago, DeepseaColt said:

We won't be able to do any of this because we are trading for Lamar! At least that's what I keep telling myself. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069433-lamar-jackson-rumors-colts-havent-ruled-out-ravens-qb-but-skepticism-expressed

Apparently the door is open but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Even if the Colts come to terms with Lamar, Baltimore would likely just match.

I mean...it depends on what happens.

So the dilemma is that, without knowing who CAR will take, would you gamble and trade up to #3? By doing this, you are hoping they take AR which leaves Young/Stroud.

But if you sit back, you have to assume they take Young/Stroud and so does HOU, which leaves you with AR or Levis.

The issue is that you could end up paying a lot MORE just to end up drafting AR/Levis at #3, which you would have done at #4 if you stayed.

I don't think this is a decision you can make until you see what CAR does. But I also don't think ARI is going to give the Colts that luxury.

I honestly think the Lions, Seahawks, Falcons or Titans are going to beat Ballard to the punch and trade into 3 with the Cards.

At that point we would have to choose either the 4th QB off the board or the best defensive player in the draft, which IMO is a no brainer.

You draft Will Anderson. Try to get Hooker in the second round or trade back into the 1st for him.

Hope we are bad enough next year for one the top 3 guys. The top 3 prospects next year are better than all the QB's in this draft IMO. I dont think any of these guys will be better than bottom tier starters/backups.

12 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I disagree on Stroud not throwing into tight windows. I saw lots of downfield back shoulder throws.  His best trait is ball placement.

I agree, all the tape I watched on Stroud he was able to place the ball anywhere he wanted on the field. He was excellent on the back-shoulder throws to the sidelines as you mentioned. The comment I wrote in my notes is that Stroud is very surgical in dissecting defenses. We will see how much he benefitted from having good receivers catching a lot of passes.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

So the dilemma is that, without knowing who CAR will take, would you gamble and trade up to #3? By doing this, you are hoping they take AR which leaves Young/Stroud.

But if you sit back, you have to assume they take Young/Stroud and so does HOU, which leaves you with AR or Levis.

The issue is that you could end up paying a lot MORE just to end up drafting AR/Levis at #3, which you would have done at #4 if you stayed.

I don't think this is a decision you can make until you see what CAR does. But I also don't think ARI is going to give the Colts that luxury.

Yep. This is why nothing will happen until draft night.

17 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree, all the tape I watched on Stroud he was able to place the ball anywhere he wanted on the field. He was excellent on the back-shoulder throws to the sidelines as you mentioned. The comment I wrote in my notes is that Stroud is very surgical in dissecting defenses. We will see how much he benefitted from having good receivers catching a lot of passes.

Great receivers. And that’s what separates Young from him imo.  Young was much better creating outside of structure yet het wasn’t working with the same caliber of receivers as Stroud this year.  If you give Young, Harrison Jr or even Egbuka, I think he’s back to back Heisman winner.  But those Stroud back shoulder throws were things of beauty. I could definitely see him tearing things up with Pierce & Pittman on those kinds of throws. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard is already on the record saying the following: "I think we'll get the best player in the draft to be quite honest with you," Ballard said. Why? "Because we're at four. I mean, that's a great position to be in." Does that sound like he is drafting a QB to you? Either Ballard believes that the 3rd or 4th QB to be drafted is the best player in the draft (unlikely), or he has his eyes on someone else at a different position. The forum will indeed not be happy if he comes away from this draft without a top QB.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

But what if there’s the possibility that Carolina likes Levis or AR but worry that they might lose their desired choice of whichever at 4 (in a scenario where we traded up with them).  So wouldn’t we be better served moving up to 3 now (say for Kelly & a mid rounder) and then moving up again from 3 to 1 on draft day if Carolina does to decide to go a different route than Young or Stroud and trade down?  I just think there’s great benefit in moving up to #3 if we can do it without giving up too much draft capital. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

That really depends on who’s in “the room “. If you’re talking about this room, yes, he is the smartest person in the room, when it comes to drafting (excluding 20/20 hindsight)

I honestly think this is the year to deal down, acquire extra 2024 1sts, and still land a Gonzalez or Witherspoon at a huge need at corner, and then get Hendon Hooker round 2 or so. Unless of course Stroud or Young is available at 4. Hooker can then sit and learn from Minshew while recovering from injury, and if Hooker doesn’t progress you have extra ammo to get a top QB in 2024. Or you can land a stud WR like Marvin Harrison Jr with that extra 1st. 

12 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Ballard is already on the record saying the following: "I think we'll get the best player in the draft to be quite honest with you," Ballard said. Why? "Because we're at four. I mean, that's a great position to be in." Does that sound like he is drafting a QB to you? Either Ballard believes that the 3rd or 4th QB to be drafted is the best player in the draft (unlikely), or he has his eyes on someone else at a different position. The forum will indeed not be happy if he comes away from this draft without a top QB.

Ifirmly believe that Ballard has a reset button that has been provided by Irsay that is why i am not so convinced it is a qb this year. Pick the best players available and if that happens to be a qb then fine. I have read articles that Levi and Richardson are not 1st round talents so picking them at 4 could be a disaster. I don't think this is a great draft so if you are the Colts and can pick that elite player, Anderson etc.,  then maybe you do it. Maybe Ballard feels that top 3 picks will be qbs and he will be sitting there at 4 with the opportunity to pick his next Freeney. That will be hard to pass up and I am all for that and then pick a qb later on. Run with Minshew and that rookie next year. If that is there plan and it is a 3 year plan then I would also be trading guys like Buckner who have no value by the time this team maybe relevant

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ifirmly believe that Ballard has a reset button that has been provided by Irsay that is why i am not so convinced it is a qb this year. Pick the best players available and if that happens to be a qb then fine. I have read articles that Levi and Richardson are not 1st round talents so picking them at 4 could be a disaster. I don't think this is a great draft so if you are the Colts and can pick that elite player, Anderson etc.,  then maybe you do it. Maybe Ballard feels that top 3 picks will be qbs and he will be sitting there at 4 with the opportunity to pick his next Freeney. That will be hard to pass up and I am all for that and then pick a qb later on. Run with Minshew and that rookie next year. If that is there plan and it is a 3 year plan then I would also be trading guys like Buckner who have no value by the time this team maybe relevant

The colts have tweeted all four QB press conferences from the combine. They are taking one.

46 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You left out the part where he says everyone thinks we have to be at 1 to get the QB and how he might be able to get one at 4.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The colts have tweeted all four QB press conferences from the combine. They are taking one.

of course they are taking one but where is the question.  I am not in love with any of them and wouldnt be surprised if none of them amounted to much. Maybe at the end of the day that is why Carolina moved up to #1. Maybe there is only one guy worth it in the whole draft

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

of course they are taking one but where is the question.  I am not in love with any of them and wouldnt be surprised if none of them amounted to much. Maybe at the end of the day that is why Carolina moved up to #1. Maybe there is only one guy worth it in the whole draft

If colts don’t do hooker tomorrow then it appears it will be one of the four.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Here is my thing about q guy like Levi. He may go on to be the next Mahonnes but my biggest concern bout him and Richardson is this People defend them by saying they had no talent and that is the reason for their mediocre  play. Well answer  me this.  If the Colts draft them are they not  coming  to a to a team  with  medicore  talent as evident by their drafting 4th overall? So if they didn't lift their college team above  mediocrity  how are they going to lift the Colts?  I think that is a fair question.

Mediocre play compared to his previous season before he lost his OL.  That's what we're talking about here Moose.  He was sacked more last year than both Young and Stroud combined which affects how well he can do his job.  I don't think the media is looking at these QBs very well at all and this is not a new take from me, I have been consistent on this going back to when they were talking Young at 1.  I am confident that I'm correct.

Also QBs who raise the play of the team around them is overplayed.  Those guys are really rare and even they will struggle when the other ten are no good.  Look at Lawrence.  We're just now going to start seeing what he can do this next season most likely, which is what, year 3 for him.  It's a tough league.

Levis won't require too much time to learn this offense because he has been exposed to the language.  The day he comes in you start working him on the protections and his LOS checks.  The road will be bumpy with him because he's a rook, but if we get him I am confident the Colts will be in business in a year or so and that final year he dealt with the leaks up front will benefit him in his transition to the NFL.

Btw Young is similar in that regard.  He is by all accounts an intelligent kid who was under a knowledgeable NFL mind with reads at the LOS and the full nine.  My reservations on him are mostly size related but he might also be a quick study thanks to that exposure, however he is going to be surprised how quickly NFL fronts are on his toes with that rush.

5 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Those tweets are done by a PR guy who has no way of knowing who the team will pick, right? 

The PR guy has no way of knowing who the Colts will pick.   You are correct.  

But everything that gets posted on the front if the website has to be approved at some higher level.   It’s not done by just the PR guy.   And I think Chloe makes a reasonable argument, that if the franchise is putting these profiles of the top 4 QB candidates on the front of the website it certainly appears as if the team is implying that they plan to take one of them.   

Now, it’s certainly not a guarantee.  Ballard’s hands are not tied in any way.  He could take the DE, he could trade down.   He’s free to do what he thinks is best. 

But outwardly,  the Colts talking up these 4 QBs certainly generates the perception that the team will take one of them. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The PR guy has no way of knowing who the Colts will pick.   You are correct.  

But everything that gets posted on the front if the website has to be approved at some higher level.   It’s not done by just the PR guy.   And I think Chloe makes a reasonable argument, that if the franchise is putting these profiles of the top 4 QB candidates on the front of the website it certainly appears as if the team is implying that they plan to take one of them.   

Now, it’s certainly not a guarantee.  Ballard’s hands are not tied in any way.  He could take the DE, he could trade down.   He’s free to do what he thinks is best. 

But outwardly,  the Colts talking up these 4 QBs certainly generates the perception that the team will take one of them. 

They have been putting one up each day. Going to pay attention tomorrow and see if they put hooker up. If not then that kind of solidifies to me it will be one of the four.  

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would they be tweeting anything about quarterbacks if they weren’t taking one? They have never done that before.

Because the job of the PR staff, as part of promoting the Colts, is to tweet things that generate lots of views and readership. It's part of their job to pick high interest topics among Colts fans to tweet about.

3 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Because the job of the PR staff, as part of promoting the Colts, is to tweet things that generate lots of views and readership. It's part of their job to pick high interest topics among Colts fans to tweet about.

And also to promote chaos and bickering on the message board. HA

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think they have done that in the past. 

In the past Ballard has drafted players that no one knew were a possibility because he didn't visit them etc.  So don't read into this so much.    Its a long way to the draft. They may post all the top 10 guys over the next few days. 

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know why some of you feel it’s necessary to antagonize posters about a QB. This franchise has done nothing last seven years  and needs a QB. The Ballard crap is starting to get old and isn’t funny anymore.

Watching people have a melt down over something they have absolutely no control over. Thinking that taking a certain player or position is a life or death choice. People that focus their entire life around a sports team is very funny to me.   Sad.  but still very very funny.  

3 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Watching people have a melt down over something they have absolutely no control over. Thinking that taking a certain player or position is a life or death choice. People that focus their entire life around a sports team is very funny to me.   Sad.  but still very very funny.  

It’s sports. That’s what fans do. To keep antagonizing people and laughing at that for wanting a QB isn’t funny. This message board would not exist if people didn’t come on to talk about  their favorite team and give opinions.

Archived