Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Are they flying on a blimp?   9 or 10 hours?

My last flight from Phoenix to Indy in October was 6 hours and change, pushing 7. I figured another 2-3 hours give or take to Philly, which is another 900 miles roughly. Even on. Gulf Stream with a top speed of 650 mph, you’re still gonna be in that neighborhood somewhere, give or take. It’s not like they’re flying the SR71, which still takes 4 hours at MACH 3 to traverse the entire country.  Which Arizona to Philly damn near is…

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

My last flight from Phoenix to Indy in October was 6 hours and change, pushing 7. I figured another 2-3 hours give or take to Philly, which is another 900 miles roughly. Even on. Gulf Stream with a top speed of 650 mph, you’re still gonna be in that neighborhood somewhere, give or take. It’s not like they’re flying the SR71, which still takes 4 hours at MACH 3 to traverse the entire country.  Which Arizona to Philly damn near is…

Phoenix to Philly is 4.5 hours flying commercial 

https://www.trip.com/hot/flight-time-from-phoenix-to-philadelphia/

1 hour ago, Moe said:

Smart move wouldn’t let him out of my sight if I was Chris Ballard don’t want another Josh McDaniels fiasco.

Steichen, I would think, has more moral fiber than McDaniels. McDaniels always had Brady and Belichick to coattail that he could afford to be picky for a while, and while the Eagles will still have success offensively since most of their offensive stars are signed, they will have a harder time being good defensively with far more defensive free agents.

7 minutes ago, philba101 said:

More good news on top of the expected Steichen hiring. According to Aaron Wilson, Colts OL Coach Chris Strausser is the leading candidate to replace George Warhop as the Texans OL coach. Looks like the Colts will need a new OC and OL coach.

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-texans-titans-140/

No new HC in their right minds would want to keep Strausser around. If both Irsay and Saturday are fine with it, and don't make it awkward for the new HC, I would like the Colts to keep Saturday around for the OL position coaching. Or Steichen could bring over Assistant OL coach Roy Istvan from the Eagles:

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches-roster/roy-istvan

Just now, chad72 said:

No new HC in their right minds would want to keep Strausser around. If both Irsay and Saturday are fine with it, and don't make it awkward for the new HC, I would like the Colts to keep Saturday around for the OL position coaching. Or Steichen could bring over Assistant OL coach Roy Istvan from the Eagles:

I doubt it happens often that an interim hc stays on as a position coach.  Plus, Saturday has already said he is too good for anything but head coach.

41 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

Are you his cousin? He's "by far more talented than Hurts and it isn't even close"? Yet, Richardson never came close to Hurts' production at Alabama or Oklahoma. He'll probably produce good metrics at the combine but expecting him to put it altogether at the NFL level when he hasn't in college is a massive gamble. 

I am talking physical gifts not production. In that regard, he blows Hurts out of the water.

12 minutes ago, philba101 said:

More good news on top of the expected Steichen hiring. According to Aaron Wilson, Colts OL Coach Chris Strausser is the leading candidate to replace George Warhop as the Texans OL coach. Looks like the Colts will need a new OC and OL coach.

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-texans-titans-140/

If our coaches are so terrible how come they find new jobs unbelievably fast once they leave? 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

If our coaches are so terrible how come they find new jobs unbelievably fast once they leave? 

Sometimes the same coaches are better in different environments. You have made the same argument for head coaches like Dungy, Belichick etc. being better on newer teams.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A coach doesn't need to be a bad coach, he just may not fit in with the scheme or culture. It seems bad fits are a hallmark of last year's Colts team, despite all the happy talk.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Our OL line coach is terrible, Great talent and underachieving. A good deal is on the players but he just couldnt coach them up. So what if he goes to Houston, the worst team in football   

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So they are not terrible after all.

If the same OL performed better after Saturday took over, he obviously saw a few things the OL coach wasn't seeing. In other words, not terrible, but not good enough for our team. No one coaches in the NFL that long like Strausser did by being a terrible coach but everyone wants top notch results and outside this year and a bit of last, the OL performance had not been sliding this badly.

Terrible is an overused word, an emotional knee jerk word. Bad fit is the right set of words to use, IMO. Lots of coaches, even if they are good, wear out their welcome and can be bad fits eventually.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I have heard but cannot confirm that Saturday is not interested in a job like that. He could probably make more at ESPN than as an OL coach? Either way it will be exciting to have a new head coach, OC, and OL coach.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I have heard but cannot confirm that Saturday is not interested in a job like that. He could probably make more at ESPN than as an OL coach? Either way it will be exciting to have a new head coach, OC, and OL coach.

Yeah, I am sure he will have no shortage of "motivational speaking" assignments or "big talk" moments at ESPN. Even if his buddy Orlovsky is a good ESPN analyst, being an OC calling play by play on a game by game basis is not the same as being paid with a cushy job at ESPN being an armchair OC.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If the same OL performed better after Saturday took over, he obviously saw a few things the OL coach wasn't seeing. In other words, not terrible, but not a good fit for our team. No one coaches in the NFL that long like Strausser did by being a terrible coach but everyone wants top notch results and outside this year and a bit of last, the OL performance had not been sliding this badly.

Terrible is an overused word, an emotional knee jerk word. Bad fit is the right set of words to use, IMO. Lots of coaches, even if they are good, wear out their welcome.

Too bad he was forced to start Pryor at LT and Pinter at RG after Ballard refused to bring back Glowinski.  Ballard did him no favors on the OL last year.  Thank Goodness Raiman developed well.  The new guy will get the benefit of that circumstance and probably a new RG in FA.  The breaks of the game I guess.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Who said the coaches were terrible? It was obvious that they OL way underperformed just like our offense. The Head Coach, the OC both lost their jobs because of it. IMO it may be best to move on from Strausser as well as the OL was the biggest liability on the team last year. The new coach may want to replace everybody on the offensive side of the ball anyway. I know I would want to hand pick my staff if I was the new coach. That doesn't mean that some coaches couldn't be retained but not likely the guy who was overseeing one of the worst lines in football last year.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Who said the coaches were terrible? It was obvious that they OL way underperformed just like our offense. The Head Coach, the OC both lost their jobs because of it. IMO it may be best to move on from Strausser as well as the OL was the biggest liability on the team last year.

who said they underperformed? Ballard sold us on Pryor. Nelson has been regressing since last year.  Kelly has been a joke for 2 years now. Pinter was a disaster at RG and doesnt have the strength. Smith has shown for 2 years now that he cannot handle speed rushers. Maybe people just are in denial about the talent of this group

22 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Our OL line coach is terrible, Great talent and underachieving. A good deal is on the players but he just couldnt coach them up. So what if he goes to Houston, the worst team in football   

tell me about his great talent? go player by player on the Oline and tell me how each is a great player. I am waiting for your anaysis

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if Steichen will bring any of his players with him from the eagles? If so is there any player you are hoping for?

I would say bring that guard Isaac Seumalo and plug him in at right guard. Then get Javon Hargrave. Both those moves will take our trenches to the next level. The rest can be drafted. Trench strength and experience takes time to develop.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

tell me about his great talent? go player by player on the Oline and tell me how each is a great player. I am waiting for your anaysis

This year was an abomination to go back to prior years. If you like our OL coach so bad then go tell Irsay your defense of him 

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

who said they underperformed? Ballard sold us on Pryor. Nelson has been regressing since last year.  Kelly has been a joke for 2 years now. Pinter was a disaster at RG and doesnt have the strength. Smith has shown for 2 years now that he cannot handle speed rushers. Maybe people just are in denial about the talent of this group

Use whatever words you want. The reality is that they didn't get the job done last year. I thought Ballard deserved a lot of this blame as well, but Irsay decided to give him another pass. In this business coaches typically have to get better results from their players if they want to keep their job. The line got slightly better than it's dismal performance to start the year, but lets not pretend it was ever good last year.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Phoenix to Philly is 4.5 hours flying commercial 

https://www.trip.com/hot/flight-time-from-phoenix-to-philadelphia/

Okay, so cut 4.5 hours off. Whatever. My point is, I wasn’t expecting them to have him in Indy today. That’s it, 

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

it is lack of talent , not coaches!!!!!!

Hmmm didn’t that lack of Talent beat the eventual champs? 

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What doesn’t make sense though is for the first couple years as starting RT, Braden did handle speed rushers just fine and was a very good RT. So what is the explanation as to his lesser play this past year or so? He’s not an old player so I don’t buy the declining argument there. So that tells me coaching played into his regression during that time. Or maybe he had no help next to him at RG with subpar players there. 

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You think Jeff will stay around?

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nelson, Smith, and Kelly were all highly drafted and talented OL players, and proved it during their first few years in the league. 

Archived