Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts block Bradley from lateral transfer

CurBeatElite

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Not good, Coaches like their own assistants. Hamstringing a new coach is going to keep some away. 

If the new HC comes on board with Bradley and Bubba and their assistants, that’s not uncommon.   

Sometimes a new coach is going to a franchise that’s going through a complete rebuild.   Right or wrong, at this moment in time,  the Colts do not believe that a complete gut job is necessary.   So, the Colts appear to want to keep the bones of their defense and STs and have a better vision of their offense.    So the rebuild will be on only one side of the ball, one phase of the three.   

This happens a fair amount.   Not every rebuild is a complete gut job.   This is where the Colts are now. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the new HC comes on board with Bradley and Bubba and their assistants, that’s not uncommon.   

Sometimes a new coach is going to a franchise that’s going through a complete rebuild.   Right or wrong, at this moment in time,  the Colts do not believe that a complete gut job is necessary.   So, the Colts appear to want to keep the bones of their defense and STs and have a better vision of their offense.    So the rebuild will be on only one side of the ball, one phase of the three.   

This happens a fair amount.   Not every rebuild is a complete gut job.   This is where the Colts are now. 

Well said. The Offense and all that’s involved with it is going to get an overhaul. The D was for the most part the only good thing about this team.

So the choice of HC would seem to favor an offensive minded leader given the Gus Bradley situation. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Well said. The Offense and all that’s involved with it is going to get an overhaul. The D was for the most part the only good thing about this team.

So the choice of HC would seem to favor an offensive minded leader given the Gus Bradley situation. 

Honestly, I thought Bubba had a good season.   His punter-kicker got hurt and was lost for the season, his FG kicker was cut and replaced, Hines was traded and Flowers filled in well as a returner.   I think the STs were ranked top-5 this year.   

I read a post with a tweet that floated the idea that Bubba will be retained as the ST teams coordinator plus add the title of associate or assistant HC.   The Colts want to retain Bubba and they’d throw him a bone, a sweetener to keep him.   Hope it works. 

Bubba and Ballard are tight. Bubba has had a loud voice in the room when determining the final roster spots.  Ballard and the rest of the NFL respect Bubba.  Ballard was the only one to give him an interview this cycle. Bubba knows that.  Getting passed over for Saturday would be one thing but getting passed over for a qualified person shouldn’t burn any bridges. 

Four candidates are good with Gus. Morris, Steichen, and Bisaccia all coached with him. Maybe they’re ok with him because they know him and respect his work. 

Who says Bradley wants to leave?  He and his staff just got there.  I’m sure moving constantly has to su CK. Especially when you just did a good job. Let’s not assume he’s being held prisoner.

Jason definitely has his source. I believe it’s in the scouting dept, but I could be wrong.  I enjoy his takes.  He goes back to the Baltimore days like myself. However, he’s also very high and very low at times.  He could be making a mountain out of a molehill on this Bradley and staff issue. I tend to believe his take on Irsay’s meddling to be somewhat accurate but when he says we don’t want to know more he’s wrong. 

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

All NFL teams can install any "new" plays in 5 minutes of film and 5 minutes of a walk thru.  These dudes are very good at learning how to run football plays.  They are professionals.

Now whether or not a team can execute that play well is mostly due to the personnel, the repetition, and the systems, formations and other types of subterfuge including "play calling."  This last part is what the coaching staffs are responsible for .

BUT it starts with personnel.  For instance, Lamar Jackson is extremely effective in executing zone read plays.  He's definitely great at reading it.  He's obviously effective at it.

Yep.  Playcalling is reflective of the personnel a team has to run them.  Sure, any playcaller can have some tunnel vision, but the overall look of the playcalling is based upon the skill sets of the players that run them.

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Bubba and Ballard are tight. Bubba has had a loud voice in the room when determining the final roster spots.  Ballard and the rest of the NFL respect Bubba.  Ballard was the only one to give him an interview this cycle. Bubba knows that.  Getting passed over for Saturday would be one thing but getting passed over for a qualified person shouldn’t burn any bridges. 

Four candidates are good with Gus. Morris, Steichen, and Bisaccia all coached with him. Maybe they’re ok with him because they know him and respect his work. 

Who says Bradley wants to leave?  He and his staff just got there.  I’m sure moving constantly has to su CK. Especially when you just did a good job. Let’s not assume he’s being held prisoner.

Jason definitely has his source. I believe it’s in the scouting dept, but I could be wrong.  I enjoy his takes.  He goes back to the Baltimore days like myself. However, he’s also very high and very low at times.  He could be making a mountain out of a molehill on this Bradley and staff issue. I tend to believe his take on Irsay’s meddling to be somewhat accurate but when he says we don’t want to know more he’s wrong. 

You think Jason Spears goes back to the Baltimore Colts days?

13 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Not good, Coaches like their own assistants. Hamstringing a new coach is going to keep some away. 

Its not like there is a bunch of them out there to hire.  A young HC is not going to have the depth of connections to bring in a bunch of new and COMPETENT coordinators and assistants.

If an existing DC comes to the Colts as a lateral.  Say Morris, then I would be concerned that part of his decision to take a lateral would be the possibility of the new HC failing and he gets named IHC as a default.  Sort of looking to back his way into a temporary promotion.

Keeping Gus is fine.  Mandating it to a new HC is fine too, IMO.  Unless its Martindale or Morris who might want a lot of influence over the defense as a HC. 

10 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

There is no doubt Jason has sources. But like he has done in the past he is making a big deal out of something that is very normal. He has done this many times in the past.  His sources are giving him second hand info because they are not in the interview room. It’s like the telephone game. Irsay has meddled and I don’t think that is up for debate. But him making a big deal about the Bradley is just off the rails. He is starting to remind me of brad wells.

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

While its fine, it also speaks to Ballard being conservative, or just wanting to tweek rather than rebuild.  I hope that wanting to retain Gus is not a sign that he just wants to tweek things.  The idea that we are just a (rookie) QB away is not good enough, IMO.  But retaining Gus might not speak to that and could just be the best decision right now.

I'm hooping that it is not a rookie QB at the helm.   I'm not sold on any of the QB's in this years draft.  I would love to bring Jimmy G in to QB the team for a couple years while a young QB is groomed.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm hooping that it is not a rookie QB at the helm.   I'm not sold on any of the QB's in this years draft.  I would love to bring Jimmy G in to QB the team for a couple years while a young QB is groomed.

Actually do the "bridge QB" the correct way this time?   Instead of buying the vet and counting on him for the next 3 to 4 years and investing 4th rounders in guy's with limited ceilings...... buy the vet, but then actually use a high draft pick to get a guy with talent and a real ceiling.   I would be fine with that.

I don't know if that guy is Jimmy G, but the concept I agree with, and have for the past 4 years.  Its just has never been followed up with a proper investment in a young QB.

Just now, DougDew said:

Actually do the "bridge QB" the correct way this time?   Instead of buying the vet and counting on him for the next 3 to 4 years and investing 4th rounders in guy's with limited ceilings...... buy the vet, but then actually use a high draft pick to get a guy with talent and a real ceiling.   That would be fine with that.

I don't know if that guy is Jimmy G, but the concept I agree with, and have for the past 4 years.  Its just has never been followed up with a proper investment in a young QB.

Holder keeps mentioning Winston as the bridge. He forgets Winston has to be cut or traded. He has a 11 million dollar dead cap if cut.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You think Jason Spears goes back to the Baltimore Colts days?

Based on his past tweets about the Colts, being an O’s fan in baseball, and wearing Baltimore shirts I assumed so.  When I say like me, I was a kid during the Bert Jones era and watched Bob Irsay destroy this franchise.   

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I would love to bring Jimmy G in to QB the team for a couple years while a young QB is groomed.

You might want to reconsider bringing me in….  I’m 68.  My 40 times are measured by a calendar these days.  In school in 1971, I could throw a ball 60 yards into a bucket, but today it’s more like barely 6 yards…:omg:

On 2/6/2023 at 3:26 PM, CurBeatElite said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/2/6/23588004/report-colts-blocking-dc-gus-bradley-from-interviewing-for-lateral-position-elsewhere

Colts have apparently made the motion to block other teams from hiring Bradley as DC (he could move to HC or assistant HC). 

The article mentions Bradley has ties to Callahan and Morris. I assume Saturday would also elect to keep Bradley.

Why not let him go? Or even fire him now? I know the offense was lacking, but his D is who let the Vikings come back from a 33 point halftime deficit. His D let the Eagles come back. They need to get new DC, OC, and HC, and possibly a new GM. 

10 minutes ago, gibson981 said:

Why not let him go? Or even fire him now? I know the offense was lacking, but his D is who let the Vikings come back from a 33 point halftime deficit. His D let the Eagles come back. They need to get new DC, OC, and HC, and possibly a new GM. 

But but, he's got a great personality. And and Ballard knows how to draft for Gus's prevent-less D. 
 It's very sad really, and Jim, you won't likely live long enough to take your team to a SB.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:33 AM, gibson981 said:

It was also his D who lead us to a 33-0 lead. 

I am not advocating for or against him.  Just was reporting the news. I don't think the D was our real problem last year.  All things considered they were OK.

All that said.. I think what we need is for our owner to quit tinkering.

16 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I am not advocating for or against him.  Just was reporting the news. I don't think the D was our real problem last year.  All things considered they were OK.

Both sides of the ball need massive rebuilding from the coordinators on down (except for a few players on each side). They already started with the OC. Thank goodness for that. If Gus is still here next season, then it really needs to be on a “prove it” basis.

Yes!! Irsay does need to quit tinkering. That’s what a GM is for. 

5 minutes ago, gibson981 said:

Both sides of the ball need massive rebuilding from the coordinators on down (except for a few players on each side). They already started with the OC. Thank goodness for that. If Gus is still here next season, then it really needs to be on a “prove it” basis.

Yes!! Irsay does need to quit tinkering. That’s what a GM is for. 

I think the Irsay tinkering thing is way overblown.  The Saturday thing is the only example of him doing that in many many years.  He certainly has let Ballard have a free hand since he has been here.  The Saturday hire just gave him an opportunity to finally get him on the coaching staff.  Something they have been trying to do for years.  Unfortunately it didn’t work out.  Not a big deal for me.  Btw every HC that gets hired will need the approval of the owner.  No matter the team.  That’s just the way it is in the NFL.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, richard pallo said:

I think the Irsay tinkering thing is way overblown.  The Saturday thing is the only example of him doing that in many many years.  He certainly has let Ballard have a free hand since he has been here.  The Saturday hire just gave him an opportunity to finally get him on the coaching staff.  Something they have been trying to do for years.  Unfortunately it didn’t work out.  Not a big deal for me.  Btw every HC that gets hired will need the approval of the owner.  No matter the team.  That’s just the way it is in the NFL.

Irsay forced Ballard to keep Pagano, essentially wasting a year of the draft.  Irsay forced Reich to bench Ryan at 3-3-1 in favor of a 2nd year 6th round pick with no game experience. Given the division was won with a 9-8 record, it seems pretty silly to be forcing the coach to make player changes when we were right in the thick of things.  Then firing Reichs OC after a week with said 6th round QB, and ultimately firing Reich based on a 1:30 AM phone call with Saturday (a guy with 0 coaching experience) with no back up plan.. Irsay, imo, needs to quit tinkering. 

57 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Irsay forced Ballard to keep Pagano, essentially wasting a year of the draft.  Irsay forced Reich to bench Ryan at 3-3-1 in favor of a 2nd year 6th round pick with no game experience. Given the division was won with a 9-8 record, it seems pretty silly to be forcing the coach to make player changes when we were right in the thick of things.  Then firing Reichs OC after a week with said 6th round QB, and ultimately firing Reich based on a 1:30 AM phone call with Saturday (a guy with 0 coaching experience) with no back up plan.. Irsay, imo, needs to quit tinkering. 

The backup plan was to get a top 5 pick and get a young qb 

On 2/10/2023 at 3:20 PM, CurBeatElite said:

I wouldn’t call what Irsay did this year “tinkering”.    I think it went WAY beyond that. 

Personally, I’d call this meddling.”  But I suppose everyone’s mileage may vary in such things.  

On 2/13/2023 at 8:24 AM, CurBeatElite said:

Tinkering, meddling, whatever you want to call it I’m glad he did and it’s his full right. We weren’t playing well enough or consistent enough to win anything substantial. Basically the same story year after year for 4 years straight. 

We needed a change at HC and now we also have a chance to draft a QB because of Irsay’s meddling. 

I don’t get the hate he gets from some fans. He’s proven the level of patience he has with his staff time and time again. He just highlighted it yet again contrary to popular belief that he was going to hire Jeff based on just his wants. 

This is his team, if he feels the need and pressure to step in he has every right to do so. 

On 2/14/2023 at 5:19 PM, cjrulli said:

Tinkering, meddling, whatever you want to call it I’m glad he did and it’s his full right. We weren’t playing well enough or consistent enough to win anything substantial. Basically the same story year after year for 4 years straight. 

We needed a change at HC and now we also have a chance to draft a QB because of Irsay’s meddling. 

I don’t get the hate he gets from some fans. He’s proven the level of patience he has with his staff time and time again. He just highlighted it yet again contrary to popular belief that he was going to hire Jeff based on just his wants. 

This is his team, if he feels the need and pressure to step in he has every right to do so. 

I don't hate him. I just think he's a bit unstable and makes odd decisions.

You are right, it's his team and he can do what he wants.. I'm sure he thinks he is doing best for the team... I just don't see some of them being the right things. 

I'm also getting a little tired of him placing blame on others (especially publicly like he did with Wentz and him saying he was pressured into reluctantly giving Reich an extension).  

Also, not convinced Reich was the problem as much as having a new qb each year and having the owner firing coordinators and forcing the lineup (eg making Reich start Ehlinger).  It's almost as if Irsay intentionally set Reich up to fail so he could fire him.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:33 PM, crazycolt1 said:

So Irsay should just sit on his hands and do nothing while watching his ship sink?  Week 11 or the end of the season what difference did it really make?

The problem IMO is he had a big hand in his ship sinking because of his meddling. This ship started sinking awhile ago it didn't start last season. He put a % team around Luck and reaped what he sowed. He put all the blame on Wentz for 2021 instead of taking a long hard look at his team. There were tons of issues with this team and it was pretty damn obvious to most of us who watched the games with any knowledge. He flew off the handle and thru a hissy fit instead of actually fixing things that should have been fixed. Yeah it's his team and he deserves the credit as well as the blame!

3 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

The problem IMO is he had a big hand in his ship sinking because of his meddling. This ship started sinking awhile ago it didn't start last season. He put a % team around Luck and reaped what he sowed. He put all the blame on Wentz for 2021 instead of taking a long hard look at his team. There were tons of issues with this team and it was pretty damn obvious to most of us who watched the games with any knowledge. He flew off the handle and thru a hissy fit instead of actually fixing things that should have been fixed. Yeah it's his team and he deserves the credit as well as the blame!

You failed to mention Irsay also held Frank accountable by firing him too. So it wasn't only getting rid of Wentz..

Archived