Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts block Bradley from lateral transfer

CurBeatElite

17 minutes ago, t-rex said:

I view Jason as an excellent source. I think he was the first to report this. And he turned out to be right. I worry other aspects in his reporting are true too. This could be the reason our search is taking so long.

Two teams don't have coaches. Us and the Cardinals. And we know the Cardinals job is considered bad. One of their candidates voluntarily dropped out tonight (Flores). And was scheduled for an interview there Wednesday.

Blocking Gus Bradley is wrong. Requiring a new HC to take Bradley is wrong. Holding Bradley now only to fire him in a few weeks is wrong-AND MEAN.

Perhaps our organization is more troublesome than we admit.

I think he is wrong. There is a difference in being forced and asking if they would keep them. Jason is like the telephone game. His sources are scouts and assistant coaches whom have not been in any of these meetings. No he isn’t right because he flat out said forced. There is a difference.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I hope Bubba still wants to stay.  After being passed over he might want to leave.  I could see Reich going after him.

I keep thinking they interviewed him for experience and to tell him they have plans for him to grow.  I have no real reason to think it but I do.  

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

It matters to me. I don't like (if the rumors are true) that the front office is dictating the new HC, that he must keep the old coaches, from our past disaterous season

The ownership has done many peculiar things over the past decade and a half.. I think it was a mistake to let Bill Polian's son take the GM spot after Polian left... also, I wasn't a big fan of just letting Caldwell take the reigns after Dungy left (though, I get it).

The Grigs hire was an absolute disaster... firing him and forcing the new GM to keep Pagano was not a good move (especially with Ballard having a total different D philosophy than Chuck).  Ballard was forced to draft with Pagano's philosophy in mind (at least to some extent), and imo his first draft was basically wasted (e.g., Ballard drafted Hooker in rd 1 based on Pagano's thoughts he'd be a 3-4 Ed Reed, while Ballard knew full well he wanted a 4-3 cover 2).  

Forcing Reich to bench a QB for an unproven 6th rd pick when we were 3-3-1 was bizarre. Firing his OC after said unproven 6th rounder didn't perform excellent in his 1st NFL game was strange.  Firing Reich a week later after a 1:30 AM phone call to Saturday who had no coaching experience was even stranger.  

At this point, I don't know if the front office (Ballard) has anything to do with coaching staff or if they're simply Irsay's puppets.

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard was forced to draft with Pagano's philosophy in mind (at least to some extent), and imo his first draft was basically wasted (e.g., Ballard drafted Hooker in rd 1 based on Pagano's thoughts he'd be a 3-4 Ed Reed, while Ballard knew full well he wanted a 4-3 cover 2).  

And then they went and hired the C3 guru.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

The headline is misleading.  Chappell...who isn't saying anything we don't already know....said that there have been some vacancies created on the offensive side of the coaching staff....TE coach, Asst oline coach, and RB coach who have all taken new positions. 

Chap then says that the new HC will have to fill these positions,  Obviously.  Then Chap extrapolates that because the new HC will determine the new offensive assistants,  that means that he will also be determining the magnitude of changes on the defensive side of the ball...and that Ballard blocked Gus in order for the new HC to make that determination.  

There is nothing in Chap's article that supports him making that extrapolation.  IMO.  He's talking about obvious change happening on offense because some coaches have already left.  But that doesn't also mean that there will be changes to the defensive side when no coach has left.

Let's face it. This is just more absurdity from Jim Irsay and the Colts. If the Colts are holding over staff for any other reason than to give the new coach in-house options, it is just ridiculous. Regardless of their reason for blocking Gus Bradley, they are losing existing coaches, losing potential coaching candidates, and holding other existing coaches hostage for over a month after the end of a season when your team did not make the playoffs. Elongating the process any more is only putting those coaches at a competitive disadvantage in the open market if they are not eventually retained. Yes this happens from time to time with teams, but it is not a good look for a team who just came off a chaotic season with several questionable franchise decisions. This is why a veteran QB like Derek Carr is now saying he has no interest in coming to a team in our situation. You might say who cares because we are not interested in Derek Carr as our QB, but the perception is developing around the league that the Colts FO is still in disarray. This could affect the team's ability to attract players in free agency this offseason and in the future. If the Colts go through all of this just to select Jeff Saturday at the end of the day, any coaches not retained in the change over are going to be *. Make a decision already, the draft combine starts in three weeks.

25 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Let's face it. This is just more absurdity from Jim Irsay and the Colts. If the Colts are holding over staff for any other reason than to give the new coach in-house options, it is just ridiculous. Regardless of their reason for blocking Gus Bradley, they are losing existing coaches, losing potential coaching candidates, and holding other existing coaches hostage for over a month after the end of a season when your team did not make the playoffs. Elongating the process any more is only putting those coaches at a competitive disadvantage in the open market if they are not eventually retained. Yes this happens from time to time with teams, but it is not a good look for a team who just came off a chaotic season with several questionable franchise decisions. This is why a veteran QB like Derek Carr is now saying he has no interest in coming to a team in our situation. You might say who cares because we are not interested in Derek Carr as our QB, but the perception is developing around the league that the Colts FO is still in disarray. This could affect the team's ability to attract players in free agency this offseason and in the future. If the Colts go through all of this just to select Jeff Saturday at the end of the day, any coaches not retained in the change over are going to be *. Make a decision already, the draft combine starts in three weeks.

The Colts are simply trying to retain the coaches they can.  It seems like they are willing to let the offensive coaches move on, but not the D side.  Should they let other teams poach the coaching staff so that our new HC has that much more work to do?

I assume Ballard is looking for an offensive minded coach and wants as much stability in the staff for when the new guy steps in, but not so much the assistant offensive coaches who the new HC might want to bring a few asst/support guys along.

I can see that.  What I don't see is this notion that our offensive minded HC, who is going to be young, is going to want to mess with the defense much at this point.  He's going to work with the existing staff, IMO. 

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Two members of the Indy media have said 4 candidates want to keep Bradley or are fine with it at the least. It’s actually a good thing if it’s one of the offensive guys. Means less change and they can concentrate on the offense.

I feel like this would be a really weird conversation in an interview. Would you be okay with us retaining our current Defensive coaching staff? What if you are not okay with all or some of the staff? What if you are not sure about all of the defensive staff? Does saying no hinder your chances of getting the head coaching position? What a weird position to put candidates in.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Colts are simply trying to retain the coaches they can.  It seems like they are willing to let the offensive coaches move on, but not the D side.  Should they let other teams poach the coaching staff so that our new HC has that much more work to do?

I assume Ballard is looking for an offensive minded coach and wants as much stability in the staff for when the new guy steps in, but not so much the assistant offensive coaches who the new HC might want to bring a few asst/support guys along.

I can see that.  What I don't see is this notion that our offensive minded HC, who is going to be young, is going to want to mess with the defense much at this point.  He's going to work with the existing staff, IMO. 

You could be right. Maybe a new young offensive coach doesn't want to be bothered with the task of putting together the whole defensive side. If it is Steichen he could already have plenty of information from Siriani and other Eagles coaches about the Colts defensive staff. I just feel like the situation may be awkward for a candidate who might want to select his own staff. He might think if I tell the Colts I want to select my own staff is it going to hurt my odds of getting the job. I guess I feel like the best way to prohibit other teams from poaching our current coaching staff is to hire the new coach as quickly as possible. If the Colts don't know who they want by this point then there could be bigger problems.

30 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree with this.

The search is trending back towards Saturday.

Maybe Irsay and Ballard have convinced themselves that we are indeed still contenders with this current roster. Therefore, the less turnover the better. With Saturday this would virtually be the same team except the hiring of the coaches that have left or been fired. We will know if this is true if Ballard takes the same exact approach to free agency that he always has. Maybe this will convince them to trade the 4th draft pick and take another stab at a band-aid veteran QB? Everybody knows that Ballard loves his draft picks. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Please Tell Me This is True!

Was traveling the past week, but now catching up on the Colts’ coaching search. Here is what I know as of this moment:

The interviews are over. I do not anticipate any additional meetings, though it’s possible that could change (though not likely).

(Thread)

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) February 7, 2023

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-colts-not-expected-conduct-140630281.html

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree.   i don't find anything wrong with the owner or GM wanting to keep who they feel is a good DC.  

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

You could be right. Maybe a new young offensive coach doesn't want to be bothered with the task of putting together the whole defensive side. If it is Steichen he could already have plenty of information from Siriani and other Eagles coaches about the Colts defensive staff. I just feel like the situation may be awkward for a candidate who might want to select his own staff. He might think if I tell the Colts I want to select my own staff is it going to hurt my odds of getting the job. I guess I feel like the best way to prohibit other teams from poaching our current coaching staff is to hire the new coach as quickly as possible. If the Colts don't know who they want by this point then there could be bigger problems.

These guys are young.  IMO, they are going to have to learn how to be a complete HC.  Right now, I hope if its either Steichen or Callahan that they can come in an just master the offense, game plan, make in game decisions and clock management.  Strategize with the DC, but not get too involved with it.   

As they gain experience and work with other assistants, I would think they grow as a complete coach and can have enough experience to fill out both sides of the ball. 

The new HCs main job is to master the O, and of course develop the new QB.

Let Ballard and Gus handle the defense for a few seasons.  JMO. 

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   i don't find anything wrong with the owner or GM wanting to keep who they feel is a good DC.  

While its fine, it also speaks to Ballard being conservative, or just wanting to tweek rather than rebuild.  I hope that wanting to retain Gus is not a sign that he just wants to tweek things.  The idea that we are just a (rookie) QB away is not good enough, IMO.  But retaining Gus might not speak to that and could just be the best decision right now.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Spears has been posting videos, claiming his sources, are saying the Colts front office wants the new head coach to keep Bradley, Ventrone and their entire staffs. 

Why you taking everything he says as true. Seems like the telephone game. It doesn’t seem they are mandating anything just asking if they would keep them. Spears has done this before. While he has sources his sources are not in the HC Interviews. They are accounts and assistants. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

While its fine, it also speaks to Ballard being conservative, or just wanting to tweek rather than rebuild.  I hope that wanting to retain Gus is not a sign that he just wants to tweek things.  The idea that we are just a (rookie) QB away is not good enough, IMO.  But retaining Gus might not speak to that and could just be the best decision right now.

We just need some tweeking. We don’t need a overall. Let’s keep some stability with the defensive staff and make some changes on offense and go from there. That’s a good start. While we make fun of Reich for saying we aren’t far away it’s mostly true. QB and tweeking the Oline is going to make this team better if we get those positions right.

What you said about being right decision right now is also true. Let the new coach get comfy for a year and see if changes need to be made second year.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

These guys are young.  IMO, they are going to have to learn how to be a complete HC.  Right now, I hope if its either Steichen or Callahan that they can come in an just master the offense, game plan, make in game decisions and clock management.  Strategize with the DC, but not get too involved with it.   

As they gain experience and work with other assistants, I would think they grow as a complete coach and can have enough experience to fill out both sides of the ball. 

The new HCs main job is to master the O, and of course develop the new QB.

Let Ballard and Gus handle the defense for a few seasons.  JMO. 

The new HC hopefully will bring in his own O and maybe scrap the Reich system.

Thats a decision that needs to be made.

The type of offense we run will dictate which QB we will draft as well.  Will it be more of a West Coast scheme or an Ernhardt Perkins system ?

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We just need some tweeking. We don’t need a overall. Let’s keep some stability with the defensive staff and make some changes on offense and go from there. That’s a good start. While we make fun of Reich for saying we aren’t far away it’s mostly true. QB and tweeking the Oline is going to make this team better if we get those positions right.

What you said about being right decision right now is also true. Let the new coach get comfy for a year and see if changes need to be made second year.

The new coach isn’t going to have much time to get comfy so to speak.  He will have the benefit of the same DC and some other coaches.  He needs to hire the right OC.  That’s the big hire.  He really needs to hit on that side of the ball.  I’m expecting an improved OL so even a rookie quarterback should have some success.  No reason why we can’t be in the playoff race.   The league is very weak with the exception of a handful of teams.  We are not going through a total rebuild.  We should be very competitive.

19 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The new HC hopefully will bring in his own O and maybe scrap the Reich system.

Thats a decision that needs to be made.

The type of offense we run will dictate which QB we will draft as well.  Will it be more of a West Coast scheme or an Ernhardt Perkins system ?

There is no doubt that the new HC will bring in his own system, but lets be clear about what that is.  I don't think it means a wholesale change in scheme or terminology.    

Steichen called the plays from Siranni's playbook, and Siranni likely brought most of it with him from Frank, who also was part of the Philly system before that.  So if the HC is Steichan, I don't see where the O is going to be an entirely new system.

Besides, most NFL teams have the same plays.  Its not like one team has some double secret sets of plays that they invented and nobody else has thought them, over 50 years of modern football from the NFL through high school teams have never seen them.   Its not like new plays are similar to a brand new stealth Air Force jet nobody has invented yet, LOL.  Its more about which plays are emphasized and when they are used.

If the hire is Steichen, its again about Ballard tweeking the system rather than making wholesale changes, IMO.  Some folks may not be happy with that approach.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why you taking everything he says as true. Seems like the telephone game. It doesn’t seem they are mandating anything just asking if they would keep them. Spears has done this before. While he has sources his sources are not in the HC Interviews. They are accounts and assistants. 

First off, I am not taking everything he says as true.

You seem to be somewhat familiar with this guy? I however, know nothing about him.

We come on this forum to hear any leaks, rumors, updates etc.

So about three or four days ago, I watched the two most recent of Jason's youtube videos. 

What I took from it is,...

he seems really love the Colts, and takes their success or failures quite serious. When he mentioned his sources are telling him the organization is dysfunctional, it really seems to bother him. and based on his reactions, (and sadness) I do not think he is lying.

The thing he mentions, that bothers him most, is the front office insisting on retaining, not only Bradley and Ventrone, but their entire staffs as well. 

Now, what I find interesting is, after several days past, it leaks out that the Colts are blocking Gus form any other teams. then it's also reported, how at least four candidates, are saying they are in favor of keeping not only GB and BV, but their entire staffs as well...

This signals to me that Spears was dead on with his report. He called it days before the tweets came out. 

Do I believe everything he says? No.

Do I think he's onto something? Yes.

Now you and others here (probably a majority), believe keeping the old staff (minus the offense) is a good thing. Which is fine, that's why we come here, to voice our opinions.

But there is also a group here, who do not think the front office should interfere with the (not even yet hired) HC, by keeping the existing coaches from a failed season

You can argue, and say the front office is not insisting on keeping the old staff... but Jason said they were going to do it, and now it appears they indeed are.

I get your opinion, that the new coach can focus only on the offense, and let the retained coaches deal with the defense and STs

That is where we disagree...

imo doing this is indeed dysfunctional. The head coach needs to be in control of everything, not just offense. The coach should come in with his staff. Not Ballard's or Reich's... and even though this candidate may wholeheartedly agree to keep these guys, no way would this group of assistants be their top choices. I bet most of them they may have never even met.

I see it as Irsay, or Ballard, overstepping into the coaching realm.

One of the biggest issues, I saw the past few years was, that the team seemed to have an attitude, culture, type problem

Keeping 3/4 of Reich's old staff and hiring a offensive minded coach will probably not fix this...

We should be looking for a head coach who is not just offense minded... but rather Head Coach minded.

I see this approach as... us hiring a quarterback's coach, or offensive coordinator, as our new HC. It looks to me they may be setting up a "lame duck" HC, before the guy is even hired.

I really appreciate all your comments on this forum, you are one of my favorite (if not my very favorite) poster.

But as I said earlier, we are just going to have to "agree to disagree" on this debate. You will not be able to convince me, the Colts are doing the right thing here.

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is no doubt that the new HC will bring in his own system, but lets be clear about what that is.  I don't think it means a wholesale change in scheme or terminology.    

Steichen called the plays from Siranni's playbook, and Siranni likely brought most of it with him from Frank, who also was part of the Philly system before that.  So if the HC is Steichan, I don't see where the O is going to be an entirely new system.

Besides, most NFL teams have the same plays.  Its not like one team has some double secret sets of plays that they invented and nobody else has thought them, over 50 years of modern football from the NFL through high school teams have never seen them.   Its not like new plays are similar to a brand new stealth Air Force jet nobody has invented yet, LOL.  Its more about which plays are emphasized and when they are used.

If the hire is Steichen, its again about Ballard tweeking the system rather than making wholesale changes, IMO.  Some folks may not be happy with that approach.

Yes a "new" play when on rare occasions when it is conceived is new for one game in the NFL.  Then every team knows what it is the next week and none of it is "double secret".  All NFL teams can install any "new" plays in 5 minutes of film and 5 minutes of a walk thru.  These dudes are very good at learning how to run football plays.  They are professionals.

Now whether or not a team can execute that play well is mostly due to the personnel, the repetition, and the systems, formations and other types of subterfuge including "play calling."  This last part is what the coaching staffs are responsible for .

BUT it starts with personnel.  For instance, Lamar Jackson is extremely effective in executing zone read plays.  He's definitely great at reading it.  He's obviously effective at it.  He puts the unblocked EDGE players in terrible binds as they decide who to take.  Do they collapse inside or do they hold the upfield EDGE?  I would guess that Philip Rivers could learn to read the end on the zone read very effectively with reps, even as good as Jackson at reading with practice.

But he would be ineffective executing because he is as slow as one could imagine an NFL player being and the end would never take the QB but always go where the RBS is likely to go.  

Whoever we get must have a system that eventually matches the personnel or adapt the system to the personnel. 

Some personnel are greater that the system. 

5 hours ago, philba101 said:

I just feel like the situation may be awkward for a candidate who might want to select his own staff

I think defenses may have simplified across the league recently.  According to PFF most teams run either cover 2 or 3 zones most of the time like us.  I doubt many OCs would have strong feelings against running what we are now with Gus.

Some people might want to see more blitzes or something but thats the kind of thing they can work out, rather than a total shift in philosophy  

49 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yes a "new" play when on rare occasions when it is conceived is new for one game in the NFL.  Then every team knows what it is the next week and none of it is "double secret".  All NFL teams can install any "new" plays in 5 minutes of film and 5 minutes of a walk thru.  These dudes are very good at learning how to run football plays.  They are professionals.

No I'm afraid not.

At this point there are different types of offenses being run in the NFL.  The West Coast offense and the Erhardt Perkins system.

Both are different in their terminology (how to call plays), blocking schemes, WR route trees, etc.

Frank runs his variation of the WC offense that he learned from Doug Pederson who learned it from Andy Reid.  Its a short passing offense, with plenty of 5 yard routes.  It requires an accurate QB but not necessarily a big arm.  The defense collapses up short and then is vulnerable to the big shot down field. 

The Erhardt Perkins system is a deep ball passing offense that is being run by the Buffalo Bills.  It requires a strong arm QB that can throw deep routes accurately down field.  But you have to have a good Oline to hold the blocks longer.

This is why Hines struggled in moving over to the Bills.  In the EP system, when they called a play, it was like chinese to Hines.  He couldn't understand what they were calling so it took him extra time to learn the new terminology.

Had Hines moved to another WC system, he would have picked it up much sooner and could have played alot more.

Incidentally, Rivers has played in the WC, EP and Air Coryell which has now been mostly retired.

Steichen is interesting in that he has coached in the EP system under Whisenhunt (Chargers) and the WC System under Frank and Sirianni.  So like others have said, he would stick to the short passing WC offense as it would be a "tweak" and not a wholesale change like the EP system.  I enjoy watching the EP system as I like the deeper passing attack.

21 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

This is pretty unheard of but nothing with this ownership and regime surprises me right now. But, the defense was solid last season under Gus Bradley, same with the special teams under Bubba Ventrone. The players love playing for Bubba, and bringing back both guys would prevent the coaching staff to change schemes and have the opportunity to give the players a chance to keep a familiar staff and scheme around them. Bring in the right offensive minded head coach with the right rookie QB while surrounding him with as much talent as possible would already make the 2023 Colts a much better team than the 2022 roster.

i dont see any rookie qbs in the draft that are day 1 ready

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

No I'm afraid not.

At this point there are different types of offenses being run in the NFL.  The West Coast offense and the Erhardt Perkins system.

Both are different in their terminology (how to call plays), blocking schemes, WR route trees, etc.

Frank runs his variation of the WC offense that he learned from Doug Pederson who learned it from Andy Reid.  Its a short passing offense, with plenty of 5 yard routes.  It requires an accurate QB but not necessarily a big arm.  The defense collapses up short and then is vulnerable to the big shot down field. 

The Erhardt Perkins system is a deep ball passing offense that is being run by the Buffalo Bills.  It requires a strong arm QB that can throw deep routes accurately down field.  But you have to have a good Oline to hold the blocks longer.

This is why Hines struggled in moving over to the Bills.  In the EP system, when they called a play, it was like chinese to Hines.  He couldn't understand what they were calling so it took him extra time to learn the new terminology.

Had Hines moved to another WC system, he would have picked it up much sooner and could have played alot more.

Incidentally, Rivers has played in the WC, EP and Air Coryell which has now been mostly retired.

Steichen is interesting in that he has coached in the EP system under Whisenhunt (Chargers) and the WC System under Frank and Sirianni.  So like others have said, he would stick to the short passing WC offense as it would be a "tweak" and not a wholesale change like the EP system.  I enjoy watching the EP system as I like the deeper passing attack.

I’m talking about single plays not systems.  Systems are more complex and can’t be done in 5 minutes.

and certain plays can’t be executed without certain personnel and systems even more so.  

but any nfl lineman can learn any blocking scheme in no time for ant single play.  Any WR or TE can run any route.  

the quality of the blocking and the effectiveness depends on many things all dependent on the abilities and particular physical talents.

Philip can learn to run a zone read in about 60 seconds but lacks the physical tools to do it effectively.

not sure you read my post because we basically are saying the same things about systems and personnel.

Archived