Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts block Bradley from lateral transfer

CurBeatElite

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/2/6/23588004/report-colts-blocking-dc-gus-bradley-from-interviewing-for-lateral-position-elsewhere

Colts have apparently made the motion to block other teams from hiring Bradley as DC (he could move to HC or assistant HC). 

The article mentions Bradley has ties to Callahan and Morris. I assume Saturday would also elect to keep Bradley.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/2/6/23588004/report-colts-blocking-dc-gus-bradley-from-interviewing-for-lateral-position-elsewhere

Colts have apparently made the motion to block other teams from hiring Bradley as DC (he could move to HC or assistant HC). 

The article mentions Bradley has ties to Callahan and Morris. I assume Saturday would also elect to keep Bradley.

Well that pretty much confirms the leak the Colts were mandating a new HC needs to keep Gus. 

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well that pretty much confirms the leak the Colts were mandating a new HC needs to keep Gus. 

There’s hardly any if any decent coordinators available to hire. The future staff will probably be a bunch of inexperienced coaches at the positions they are hired for. 

Colts D Ranks
---------

#21 Rush
#12 Pass
#16 Yards
#28 Points

Average performance all time biggest comeback in NFL history awarded to Gus and Colts D. Cowboys scored 33-0 against Colts D set the new record for Dallas Cowboys. Thanks for our contributions in making few history this season thanks to our D. Am I excited for Gus to be around not really however I am not GM just a fan so lets watch the guys who knows whats best for team. 

Lets go :coltslogo: 

32 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Colts D Ranks
---------

#21 Rush
#12 Pass
#16 Yards
#28 Points

Average performance all time biggest comeback in NFL history awarded to Gus and Colts D. Cowboys scored 33-0 against Colts D set the new record for Dallas Cowboys. Thanks for our contributions in making few history this season thanks to our D. Am I excited for Gus to be around not really however I am not GM just a fan so lets watch the guys who knows whats best for team. 

Lets go :coltslogo: 

If the offense was consistent all year neither breakdown happens

46 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Any HC hire could still move on from him so it doesn’t necessarily tie them together. I can see Ballard pushing to keep him and Bubba though. If we had a more consistent offense our D would have looked a little better. 

I hope Bubba still wants to stay.  After being passed over he might want to leave.  I could see Reich going after him.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not entirely. It’s actually pretty common to keep the existing staff and let the new HC decide.

Seems to me, the only way we will know, whether the Colts mandated their retention, or are letting the new HC decide,

would be if the new HC does indeed fire the staff.

Should he keep everyone, then there is no way to say, if the front office required their retention, or allowed the new coach to decide.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Seems to me, the only way will know, whether the Colts mandated their retention, or are letting the new HC decide,

Should he keep everyone, then there is no way to say, if the front office required their retention, or allowed the new coach to keep them.

Doesn’t really matter at this point in time regardless. 

This is pretty unheard of but nothing with this ownership and regime surprises me right now. But, the defense was solid last season under Gus Bradley, same with the special teams under Bubba Ventrone. The players love playing for Bubba, and bringing back both guys would prevent the coaching staff to change schemes and have the opportunity to give the players a chance to keep a familiar staff and scheme around them. Bring in the right offensive minded head coach with the right rookie QB while surrounding him with as much talent as possible would already make the 2023 Colts a much better team than the 2022 roster.

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

This is pretty unheard of but nothing with this ownership and regime surprises me right now. But, the defense was solid last season under Gus Bradley, same with the special teams under Bubba Ventrone. The players love playing for Bubba, and bringing back both guys would prevent the coaching staff to change schemes and have the opportunity to give the players a chance to keep a familiar staff and scheme around them. Bring in the right offensive minded head coach with the right rookie QB while surrounding him with as much talent as possible would already make the 2023 Colts a much better team than the 2022 roster.

Do you have confidence, that theoretically, the Colts are winning

by 6 points, with 1 minute left on the clock, and our Gus Bradley defense has to make a stop? 

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It matters to me. I don't like (if the rumors are true) that the front office is dictating the new HC, that he must keep the old coaches, from our past disaterous season

My point being, it doesn’t really matter until we get our new Head Coach. Then we can worry about the rest

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Seems to me, the only way we will know, whether the Colts mandated their retention, or are letting the new HC decide,

Should he keep everyone, then there is no way to say, if the front office required their retention, or allowed the new coach to decide.

Two members of the Indy media have said 4 candidates want to keep Bradley or are fine with it at the least. It’s actually a good thing if it’s one of the offensive guys. Means less change and they can concentrate on the offense.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Two members of the Indy media have said 4 candidates want to keep Bradley or are fine with it at the least. It’s actually a good thing if it’s one of the offensive guys. Means less change and they can concentrate on the offense.

I do not agree.

The way I see it is... we will then be hiring a former offensive coordinator, to be our new OC, under the title of HC

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We did make those stops early in the season. Then the defense ran out of gas carrying the offenses water.

The colts could never get off the field. Being too tired is a lame excuse

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

...It’s actually a good thing if it’s one of the offensive guys. Means less change and they can concentrate on the offense.

You seem to be overlooking that the HC is responsible for all aspects of the team. Not only focusing on the offense.

I want a coach that is in complete charge of the entire team. With all his chosen assisants

You seem to be overlooking that the HC is responsible for all aspects of the team. Not only focusing on the offense.

I want a coach that is in complete charge of the entire team. With all his chosen assisants

Less change is good right now. If they feel they need to make a change they can see how it goes year one and wait  until year 2.  With Gus HC experience it makes it much easier for HC to let him do his thing. I think he is a very likeable guy what will get along with almost any coach. It’s kind of a mute point anyway because it seems some of these candidates want to keep hIm.  Callahan has some familiarity with some of these of these defensive assistants too.

Less change is good right now. If they feel they need to make a change they can see how it goes year one and wait  until year 2.  With Gus HC experience it makes it much easier for HC to let him do his thing. I think he is a very likeable guy what will get along with almost any coach. It’s kind of a mute point anyway because it seems some of these candidates want to keep hIm.  Callahan has some familiarity with some of these of these defensive assistants too.

We don't know that they want to keep the assistants.

More likely, they are only agreeing to keep them, because they simply want the job badly enough to agree.

It seems, for those four candidates, at this point, its the Colts HC job, or none.

Right now assistants are going  fast. It’s late in the process too so keeping the defensive staff makes sense. Defense wasn’t the issue last season.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We don't know that they want to keep the assistants.

More likely, they are only agreeing to keep them, because they simply want the job badly enough to agree.

It seems, for those four candidates, at this point, its the Colts HC job, or none.

No candidate would say or do that.

Right now assistants are going  fast. It’s late in the process too so keeping the defensive staff makes sense. Defense wasn’t the issue last season.

You have made your point loud and clear. You think keeping everything the same, and simply changing up the offense, will turn this team around.

I disagree. although the defense wasn't terrible at times, it was far from good.

I am tired of us playing 10 yards off the receiver... how often they allows easy completions on 3rd and long... Failing time after time to make the key stops... Lack of pass rush... never thinking to cover the TE. etc.

The HC choices are all flawed. and I do not know who we should pick.

But I think keeping most of what we had, is not the correct path to choose.

I suppose we can agree to disagree.

It seems you will get your wish, with many of the 2022 staff returning.

Then we can debate the results in a year from now.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

You have made your point loud and clear. You think keeping everything the same, and simply changing up the offense, will turn this team around.

I disagree. although the defense wasn't terrible at times, it was far from good.

I am tired of us playing 10 yards off the receiver... how often they allows easy completions on 3rd and long... Failing time after time to make the key stops... Lack of pass rush... never thinking to cover the TE. etc.

The HC choices are all flawed. and I do not know who we should pick.

But I think keeping most of what we had, is not the correct path to choose.

I suppose we can agree to disagree.

It seems you will get your wish, with many of the 2022 staff returning.

Then we can debate the results in a year from now.

Keeping the defensive staff isn’t keeping  things the same. Defense wasn’t the issue. If the new HC is ok with it why should fans be mad.

Are you serious? For the chance to be an NFL HC? Throw away millions of dollars?

Yeah because then the GM learns they lied later that would create a bad relationship. Callahan is working with burrow and will probably win a SB soon if he stays. He isn’t going to lie to just get a HC job. He has a pretty cushy job already.Same with Steichen.

Yeah because then the GM learns they lied later that would create a bad relationship. Callahan is working with burrow and will probably win a SB soon if he stays. He isn’t going to lie to just get a HC job. He has a pretty cushy job already.Same with Steichen.

It's not like they have to lie.

So here is how I see it...

Ballard or whoever says, we really like you, and are strongly considering hiring you as our new HC. But we also would like to keep Gus Bradley and his staff intact... Do you think you would be ok with that?

So now, if you were in their position,  what would you say?

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ballard or whoever says, we really like you, and are strongly considering hiring you as our new HC. But we also would like to keep Gus Bradley and his staff intact... Do you think you would be ok with that?

Uh, Reich!

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

How about just being honest. Maybe they did their research before the interview and knew colts defense was pretty good and they like the staff. So maybe they are just being honest saying they would be ok keeping them.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I view Jason as an excellent source. I think he was the first to report this. And he turned out to be right. I worry other aspects in his reporting are true too. This could be the reason our search is taking so long.

Two teams don't have coaches. Us and the Cardinals. And we know the Cardinals job is considered bad. One of their candidates voluntarily dropped out tonight (Flores). And was scheduled for an interview there Wednesday.

Blocking Gus Bradley is wrong. Requiring a new HC to take Bradley is wrong. Holding Bradley now only to fire him in a few weeks is wrong-AND MEAN.

Perhaps our organization is more troublesome than we admit.

Archived