Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 QB Draft Class - Who Do You Want?

2023 Rookie QB  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Super early into the offseason, let's see where we are at for who want who: If we are to get a rookie QB in the draft, who do you want it to be?

• Bryce Young - Alabama
    • CJ Stroud - Ohio State
    • Will Levis - Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson - Florida
    • Tanner McKee - Stanford
    • Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
    • Max Duggan - TCU
    • Stetson Bennett - Georgia
    • Jalen Hall - BYU
    • Aiden O'Connell - Purdue
    • Clayton Tune - Houston
    • Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA
    • Cameron Ward - Washington State
    • Malik Cunningham - Louisville

This is one of the hardest years for me to pick a favorite. Usually by this time I have clearly defined favorite and he's in my avatar by now... but this year... I just can't... I'm so split. The 2 players I think have the highest ceiling IMO are the two players that are most likely to bust. There is a real battle between what my head is telling me and what my heart is telling me. 

And lately another factor has began sneaking into my subconsciousness - next year's draft. I think none of this year's QBs are as strong of prospects as what both Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will be next year. So my muddy thoughts on this year's class are now getting infiltrated by ideas about just... punting on 1st round QB this year and loading up on 1st round picks for next year. And if Irsay forces Saturday as the HC I guess we might have a shot at getting some of the top picks again... 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is one of the hardest years for me to pick a favorite. Usually by this time I have clearly defined favorite and he's in my avatar by now... but this year... I just can't... I'm so split. The 2 players I think have the highest ceiling IMO are the two players that are most likely to bust. There is a real battle between what my head is telling me and what my heart is telling me. 

And lately another factor has began sneaking into my subconsciousness - next year's draft. I think none of this year's QBs are as strong of prospects as what both Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will be next year. So my muddy thoughts on this year's class are now getting infiltrated by ideas about just... punting on 1st round QB this year and loading up on 1st round picks for next year. And if Irsay forces Saturday as the HC I guess we might have a shot at getting some of the top picks again... 

I hear you. I picked CJ for the moment, but I could change my mind after February and the combine. I'll probably have another poll early March, and then one final one right before the draft in April to see where everyone is at. 

I’ve got Stroud right now, but it’s by a nose over Young, based mainly upon size.  I have Levis significantly behind based upon concerns over his decision making/processing time.  I’d still take Levis at 4, though, if it came to that…

A GM wanting to keep his job and a new coach coming in allows me to think waiting for next year to grab a QB is not feasible. I think Stroud and Levis are the most ideal guys for us this based on picking at #4. I picked Stroud for this because I see a guy that has great intangibles and with the right coaching can only get better with reads and overall field vision. He has good accuracy already so getting him weapons only helps his growth. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I would love to trade the colts 1st for a 1 next year plus a lower 1 this year or more Depending on the team we trade with. I love Bennett later in the draft, and there is always a qb that falls for some reason that the colts could take a shot with. 

Mel Kiper loves Will Levis, I just don't see it. I like Stroud better, I like Young better as well. I could care less about Young's size. He will gain weight once on an NFL training/diet program.

You know what I see in Will Levis, - Tim Couch - both went to KY and Couch was actually better in college. I just can't get over how Levis played against Georgia and Tennessee, it was real bad.

The issues with Levis are things that a good OC and QB coach can coach to make him better. Seeing posters claim that he didn’t play well this year and struggled against teams doesn’t much mean anything to me. Look back at many top QB’s playing now or in the past. You have had some guys that were an outlier and clearly geared to be great as #1 picks. Elway, Manning, Luck, Lawerence, even Burrow are guys that were the tops of their drafts. There are many others that had many faults that “experts” saw and they were dropped in the draft because of that. This means guys like Levis have the will to get better and loves the game so he should be able to have coaching and becoming a solid QB. There is a laundry list of successful guys who were picked later in the first or after the first day that have become great. Long story short, I hope if we draft Levis or anyone at 4 or later I hope to have another success story. 

I’m at the point that I think Young is the best and should go first.  But I wouldn’t trade significant resources to go up and get him.  Stroud is a step down athletically, but he’ll be a good NFL QB.  Levis is a good step behind that, but I believe those like apparently Kiper who think he’ll be a good starter soon.  Right now I’m back to staying right where we are and snagging Levis…

5 hours ago, Archer said:

I’m at the point that I think Young is the best and should go first.  But I wouldn’t trade significant resources to go up and get him.  Stroud is a step down athletically, but he’ll be a good NFL QB.  Levis is a good step behind that, but I believe those like apparently Kiper who think he’ll be a good starter soon.  Right now I’m back to staying right where we are and snagging Levis…

What makes you think Levi’s will still be there at 4?

There are too many QB hungry teams.   

Maybe the strategy is to stay at 4 and if the top three are gone, they go after Carr.  But I think Irsay is going to insist on a QB.  Which more than likely will require a trade.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What makes you think Levi’s will still be there at 4?

There are too many QB hungry teams.   

Maybe the strategy is to stay at 4 and if the top three are gone, they go after Carr.  But I think Irsay is going to insist on a QB.  Which more than likely will require a trade.  

It’s possible QBs go 1, 2, 3, like happened in 2021, but I don’t think that’ll be the case.  There’s a couple of defensive payers that Arizona can fall in love with…

1 hour ago, Archer said:

It’s possible QBs go 1, 2, 3, like happened in 2021, but I don’t think that’ll be the case.  There’s a couple of defensive payers that Arizona can fall in love with…

Im guessing both Chicago and Arizona trade out.  They’ll each make a haul. 

I know Richardson is the sexy pick because of his potential.  But I’m also guessing they want more of a sure thing.  Although we all know there’s no such thing (except for Luck).

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

There is one QB in the class who both has and lacks what you can’t teach.  He would be my first choice.  What he has is way more important than what he lacks 

Well….  You didn’t give a name, so my guess is you’re referring to Richardson?  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Young had Richardson's body, height, weight, arm, and legs, I think he’d be the highest rated QB to come out since Luck. 

I don't know if people are acknowledging the bolded part. Bryce Young's arm isn't anything to write home about. It's sufficient. There's kind of a narrative that he's a perfect prospect, except for size, and I think that's overblown.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't know if people are acknowledging the bolded part. Bryce Young's arm isn't anything to write home about. It's sufficient. There's kind of a narrative that he's a perfect prospect, except for size, and I think that's overblown.

This doesn’t happen often, but you’ve confused me.   I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing?   Either way is fine, I’m just saying I can’t tell which?  

I’m not reading that he’s perfect except for size.   I’m also including physical skills.   He doesn’t have the arm strength of many in this class or the running ability of a Richardson or a Justin Fields.   I read he scores high in all the things you can’t measure….   Poise, leadership,  handling pressure in the pocket, keeping his eyes down field,  all the intangibles you could want your quarterback to have.  

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my evaluation and that influenced your response?    Just asking. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This doesn’t happen often, but you’ve confused me.   I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing?   Either way is fine, I’m just saying I can’t tell which?  

I’m not reading that he’s perfect except for size.   I’m also including physical skills.   He doesn’t have the arm strength of many in this class or the running ability of a Richardson or a Justin Fields.   I read he scores high in all the things you can’t measure….   Poise, leadership,  handling pressure in the pocket, keeping his eyes down field,  all the intangibles you could want your quarterback to have.  

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my evaluation and that influenced your response?    Just asking. 

I'm agreeing. Just amplifying the arm strength element, because I don't see that talked about very often. All the discussion about Bryce Young is about size, and I think even if he was prototypical size, he'd still have an average arm.

On 1/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, stitches said:

well it looks like you have changed your avatar is he now your favorite?

30 minutes ago, Moe said:

well it looks like you have changed your avatar is he now your favorite?

Yes. No matter how much I circled around Levis and Stroud and Young I always got back to Richardson thinking ... "he's the one that actually looks most like a future NFL superstar QB". And he IMO is actually further along in some respects than people give him credit for(pocket presence, reading defenses). IMO the biggest issue with him is footwork and mechanics. It's not even decisionmaking or processing... even though he can get better there too. His mechanics are all over the place and they cause a ton of problems and a lot of inaccuracy in his throws. No idea how he will do in his interviews and what the psychological assessments will say about his work ethic and determination, but if he checks those boxes, I definitely like him best from this class. He has the most... undeniable traits in this draft IMO. I don't mean you cannot refute them(which you can't)... I mean on the field... I feel like he has some of the most unstoppable characteristics... things very few players have and are very hard to coutner. IMO if you plugged him into Eagles' offense next year, he will look even better than Hurts in some tangible and real respects that affect winning... (and of course worse in other respects... but that's why he needs development)

I’d like Stroud or Levis.   Young would be my third choice.    I don’t want Richardson.   I don’t think the franchise can risk such a huge gamble. 

If there was a long shot candidate for me it’d be Hooker.    Groom him for the year, play him in 24.   But I think there’s almost no chance if that happening.   Way too risky.  

Stroud or Levis for me. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d like Stroud or Levis.   Young would be my third choice.    I don’t want Richardson.   I don’t think the franchise can risk such a huge gamble. 

If there was a long shot candidate for me it’d be Hooker.    Groom him for the year, play him in 24.   But I think there’s almost no chance if that happening.   Way too risky.  

Stroud or Levis for me. 

I agree for sure. I will say I am higher on Hooker myself but he would t play until 24 so we would have to have a bridge QB and I don’t know how I feel about that. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

He does appear to have some Lamar Jackson to his game.  I feel like he also had a lot of similar mechanics issues.  Don't know if Lamar was as inconsistent, but you see the talent.  I was down on Lamar for the same reasons, but we all see how wrong I turned out to be.  He's gotta have the right coach(es) though.

So....I'll ask the group.  Which QB is most like Andrew Luck?

I think Will Levis.   

He has the arm to make all of the throws while in the pocket or on the run.  He has the size to actually run well, and the desire (I think Stroud is a bit afraid to run, frankly).  He has the football intelligence, but also can make some boneheaded interceptions.  

Levis is probably less accurate than Luck and will commit excitable errors more frequently, but his suite of attributes and talents seem the most Luck like, IMO.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Will Levis.   

He has the arm to make all of the throws while in the pocket or on the run.  He has the size to actually run well, and the desire (I think Stroud is a bit afraid to run, frankly).  He has the football intelligence, but also can make some boneheaded interceptions.  

Levis is probably less accurate than Luck and will commit excitable errors more frequently, but his suite of attributes and talents seem the most Luck like, IMO.

I don't think there is a Luck in this draft. If you gave Young, Levis' mobility and arm it would be somewhat close. But Levis alone has some weaknesses that were distinct strengths for Luck. Example - Luck's pocket presence was one of the best I've ever seen, while Levis' is one of the worst. Decision-making, accuracy, anticipation, vision... hell even aggressiveness Luck was miles ahead of Levis. 

Levis is like Luck mostly physically - mobility and athleticism, arm strength... the rest... I would say Luck was closer to Young or Stroud...

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think there is a Luck in this draft. If you gave Young, Levis' mobility and arm it would be somewhat close. But Levis alone has some weaknesses that were distinct strengths for Luck. Example - Luck's pocket presence was one of the best I've ever seen, while Levis' is one of the worst. Decision-making, accuracy, anticipation, vision... hell even aggressiveness Luck was miles ahead of Levis. 

Levis is like Luck mostly physically - mobility and athleticism, arm strength... the rest... I would say Luck was closer to Young or Stroud...

True.   I think the anticipation criticism is something pretty credible.  The other stuff is more meh or situationally explained, IMO.

I don't think Young has the arm talent to compare though.  Its not a zippy from the wrist kind of ball. 

The two things about Stroud, I don't think the OSU system is helpful in determining decision making...I think it makes it too easy for the QB compared to what he will see in the NFL.  And the more I watch him move and run, the guy seems like he might be afraid of contact...Young is smaller, but seems to mix it up more and takes some risks.  If so, Stroud could get the David Carr syndrome where the pass rush becomes an obsession on every play.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:52 AM, DougDew said:

I think Will Levis.   

Richardson is Hurts on steroids lol.  

I still say look at some of the alabama games Young carried that team to wins ,the only  games they lost he was out .Yeah before you all start injuries happen to everyone who plays the game look at mahomes.I think Young is a leader and has that it factor you cant teach , he pushes his will on other players to do there jobs and they beleive in him  and they end up winning kinda like mahomes( that something special)    JUST MY 2 CENTS

On 2/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, stitches said:

If I am reading and understanding these graphs correctly, Stroud and Young seem to be above the rest in this metric.

Expected Points Added (EPA) is a measure of success which defines the value of each play by the effect it has on the offense's likelihood to score.

I still think people look at all the physical skills and size of a person but theres way more to Bryce Young he has an uncanny way of getting out of trouble and make a huge play of it  (never gets rattled).I think his brain for football is off the charts ,he moves defences around just by looking them off to one side or another(the kid is a baller like peyton just smaller) I watched every game alabama last year he is amazing sometimes with his accuracy .If I was in the owner I would do what it takes to get number 1. I love the movie Shawshank Redemption what an appropriate part of the movie NFLFAN

Life is what you make it. "Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying.", Andy Dufresne           GREAT MOVIE

Just My Two cents

Archived