Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the 4th Overall Pick for......

philba101

4 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Have any of you watched Stroud these past 2 years? Trade up to number 1 take Stroud and he falls right in line with all the great qb's of the Colt franchise. In chronological order, Unitas, Jones, Manning, and Luck. Obviously I hope the pick is Stroud.

Have u seen an Ohio State qb ever succeed in  the NFL? Why do u think that is?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the 4th Overall Pick for the 9th and 40th picks in this year's draft? This would be a trade with the Carolina Panthers. The reason I ask is because the Colts obviously need help in re-building this team. As it stands now, the Colts are slated to have 7 total picks in the 2023 draft, (4, 36, 80, 106, 139, 205, 223), just one selection in every round. Everyone knows how Ballard loves his draft picks. Making this trade would allow the Colts to select 3 of the first 39 players. (Miami Forfeited pick #21). Just for the record, I believe the Colts should select a QB in the first round and stop our band-aid QB carousel. However, I believe a team like the Panthers may be willing to give up multiple picks and maybe a player to get inside the top 5.  I am also seeing several mock drafts right now showing QB's like (Stroud, Levis, Richardson,) sliding as far as #9 or lower before being selected. People have said to me that they wouldn't do this trade because there is no guarantee that the QB we want will be there at #9. That is true but there is never any guarantee that the player we want will be there unless we have the 1st pick.

ROFL.

At minimum, we should demand FIVE 2nd rounders to move down from 4 to 9 overall.

Moving down in the 1st round should demand 1st rounders...if not multiple 2nd rounders.

Not a single 2nd rounder.

Remember the 2018 draft, when we got 3 additional 2nd rounders for moving down from 3 to 6?

9 hours ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the 4th Overall Pick for the 9th and 40th picks in this year's draft? This would be a trade with the Carolina Panthers. The reason I ask is because the Colts obviously need help in re-building this team. As it stands now, the Colts are slated to have 7 total picks in the 2023 draft, (4, 36, 80, 106, 139, 205, 223), just one selection in every round. Everyone knows how Ballard loves his draft picks. Making this trade would allow the Colts to select 3 of the first 39 players. (Miami Forfeited pick #21). Just for the record, I believe the Colts should select a QB in the first round and stop our band-aid QB carousel. However, I believe a team like the Panthers may be willing to give up multiple picks and maybe a player to get inside the top 5.  I am also seeing several mock drafts right now showing QB's like (Stroud, Levis, Richardson,) sliding as far as #9 or lower before being selected. People have said to me that they wouldn't do this trade because there is no guarantee that the QB we want will be there at #9. That is true but there is never any guarantee that the player we want will be there unless we have the 1st pick.

Nope , we need a QB and being 4th is already pushing it to where we might be left with 4th best guy 

The compensation is too light. SF gave up two future 1s to move from #11 to #3. While it's not exactly the same jump, it should include a future 1st round pick, along with maybe a 3rd round pick this year (since the Colts traded it last draft to pick Cross). 

I could get behind that...IF I knew they were going to start a rebuild of sorts where they would make additional trades for draft capital and start to free up cap space. And in doing so, they would likely be really bad in 2023, but armed with enough draft capital to maybe even get Caleb Williams (who I think could be a good enough as a rookie to compete for a playoff spot).

I don't think that route would be very popular with the fanbase. But I think it could be the best route to becoming a SB contender. 

In that scenario, they would take a flyer on a QB later in the draft and sign a journeyman QB. This is what I was hoping they would do last offseason. So it's ironic that they went "all chips in" instead...and ended up in the same spot. 

Ballard did say they needed to do a better job of managing expectations, so perhaps, there is a small chance he was referring to a plan like that.

Hey Moosejaw, how many Tennessee quarterbacks have succeeded in the nfl other than Peyton Manning? Heath Shuler? Tee Martin? Josh Dobbs? Todd Helton? Casey Clausan? Jimmy Streeter(he was fun to watch). So you want to throw a guy under the bus because of a collective group???? I guess we should have never drafted Manning then, huh? Stroud is the real deal, watch him play!

11 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Hey Moosejaw, how many Tennessee quarterbacks have succeeded in the nfl other than Peyton Manning? Heath Shuler? Tee Martin? Josh Dobbs? Todd Helton? Casey Clausan? Jimmy Streeter(he was fun to watch). So you want to throw a guy under the bus because of a collective group???? I guess we should have never drafted Manning then, huh? Stroud is the real deal, watch him play!

100% agree. Yep, how many Texas Tech QBs before Mahomes from Air Raid were successful in the NFL? JaMarcus Russell from LSU and Matt Flynn from LSU, should the Bengals have been scared to draft Joe Burrow then since those 2 were also successful at LSU and didn't light it up in the NFL (with one being a total bust)?

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is a legit enough concern that the internet is full of stories about it.  Fields is the one that is providing hope that the trend may end.  Stroud too, but Ohio State QB have never been good as NFL starters.

Maybe the most unimpressive list of QB's for any big time college football program.  

1982 Art Schlichter

1985 Mike Tomczak

1988 Tom Tupa

1992 Kent Graham

1996 Bobby Hoying

1999 Joe Germaine

2004 Craig Krenzel

2007 Troy Smith

2011 Terrelle Pryor

2016 Cardale Jones

2019 Dwayne Haskins

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Wat h him play. He locks on to his receiver and follows  him till he gets open. Never do that in the NFL

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

It is a legit enough concern that the internet is full of stories about it.  Fields is the one that is providing hope that the trend may end.  Stroud too, but Ohio State QB have never been good as NFL starters.

Maybe the most unimpressive list of QB's for any big time college football program.  

1982 Art Schlichter

1985 Mike Tomczak

1988 Tom Tupa

1992 Kent Graham

1996 Bobby Hoying

1999 Joe Germaine

2004 Craig Krenzel

2007 Troy Smith

2011 Terrelle Pryor

2016 Cardale Jones

2019 Dwayne Haskins

To be fair troy smith go hurt and flacco took the job and never gave it back

Stroud actually goes through his progressions and on top of that knows where the open spots on the field will be because he has the knowledge to read the defense. No one is a sure thing, but Stroud is the safest pick in this years draft regardless of position, he will be worth the top pick in the draft, we have to go get him.

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

To be fair troy smith go hurt and flacco took the job and never gave it back

That is true, but he was still never a good NFL starter.  

Career number for Troy Smith

51.7% completions

78.5 rating

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wat h him play. He locks on to his receiver and follows  him till he gets open. Never do that in the NFL

I actually agree with this. He is a one read QB and struggles to go thru his progressions. Its blatantly onvious when you watch him play. 

But, that isnt saying he cant get better at that. And he does have a lot of physical talent. 

My problem isnt the Colts taking Stroud at 4,  but I dont think its a good idea to give up a bunch of picks to take a QB who isnt worthy of the #1 pick.

The short answer is no. If we already had a franchise QB then I could see the logic of trading down for additional picks. But when you lack a franchise QB, and you have the 4th overall pick, with the possibility of moving to No. 1, I don't think you pass on that opportunity, since you never know when you'll be in a position to pick this high again. You have to strike while the iron's hot. 

4 hours ago, Two_pound said:

With  recent Ohio State qbs it had more to do with the manner in which the system is set up

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The question is who is the 1st thru the 4th best QBs? History tells us we really don't know.  There is no clear cut leader. 

I agree , I’m just saying on paper we might have the 4th best prospect depending on how stuff go, but obviously that doesn’t determine who will be the best when it’s all said and done

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

I agree , I’m just saying on paper we might have the 4th best prospect depending on how stuff go, but obviously that doesn’t determine who will be the best when it’s all said and done

It all depends on how much time Irsay had given Ballard to right the ship. I think he has given  him 2023 and 2024 to get the guy and its  just a feeling. Although. I am not Ballard's biggest fan,  I think that Irsay has taken a lot of responsibility  for how the last 2 season have gone. So I say we go out and get that franchise Dend  and QB in the next 2 drafts and I don't care what order we get them in.

Stroud, 2021 stats: 71.9% completion, 4,435 yards, 10.1 yards per attempt, 44 td's, 6 int. 186.6 rating.

2022 stats: 66.3% completion 3,688 yards, 9.5 yards per attempt, 41 td's, 6 int. 177.7 rating.

Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at as I've watched him these past 2 seasons, but it looks to me like he consistently throws to open receivers because he deciphers the defense pre snap and knows who the open guy will be and where he will be. And on top of that he also put a number of throws into very tight windows. The semi final game against Georgia was almost unreal the number of throws he hit into tight windows and while rolling out and scrambling. Stroud is right there among the top prospects of the last 6 years who are playing really well in the nfl(Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow). We cannot let him get away.

Maybe we should change the question in this thread to would you trade the 4th overall pick for Aaron Rodgers?   I only bring it up because it now appears the Packers will be exploring trading Aaron to an AFC team.  Only an AFC team.  Just read an article where an NFC executive thinks the Colts will be one of a few potential destination teams.  The Packers reportedly want two firsts but the 4th overall pick should do it.  I know Pat McAfee would be all for it.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe we should change the question in this thread to would you trade the 4th overall pick for Aaron Rodgers?   I only bring it up because it now appears the Packers will be exploring trading Aaron to an AFC team.  Only an AFC team.  Just read an article where an NFC executive thinks the Colts will be one of a few potential destination teams.  The Packers reportedly want two firsts but the 4th overall pick should do it.  I know Pat McAfee would be all for it.

He will be 40 yrs old next season. As much as I like him I personally think we should be done with aged QBs. Especially with the contract he would get over a rookie contract.  

On 1/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I know the Bears are open but I just wonder how many teams are willing to trade up . I know there are questions marks every year but this year it  seems like there are huge question marks. Young is petite and looks fragile. To me he is not even a first rounder.  Stroud.  Ohio State  is not synonymous with NFL success. Levi   had a poor year and everyone attributes  that to  losing players. Has any qb  come into  the league after having a poor college year and gone on to be a great NFL qb? I don't know the answer just asking. I did  like Levi but z I would almost be in favor of getting Richardson. He is wild in terms of where u could get him

I have watched some  scouting reports on film and they love him. They  actually say he processes and shows some great instincts. He is off the charts in terms of physical  abilities. Of course completion rate of 50 percent t suggests he will flame out  in  the NFL. Josh Allen is probably the only qb I can think of who improved his accuracy when he got to the NFL.

Dan Marino had less than a stellar senior year. 

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

To be fair this is no longer a 3 yard in a cloud of dust offense at OSU.  The current coach is much different than the past. This is coming from someone who hates OSU and is sick of the Colts getting burned by OSU draft picks. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

To be fair this is no longer a 3 yard in a cloud of dust offense at OSU.  The current coach is much different than the past. This is coming from someone who hates OSU and is sick of the Colts getting burned by OSU draft picks. 

Yea we have had badluck with ohio state players

Archived