Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

21 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Going 1-7 as an intern coach doesnt mean a person is any less then a leader,nor would going 7-1 mean that a person is. What are the circumstances the coach was placed into. The team had all but quit on Frank and the owner didnt feel any of the current coaching staff had anyone in position to turn it around who would take the job. He then went outside to hire a person whom was always looked at as a great leader of a club that won the Superbowl. Saturday going in knew it was a next to impossible situation to fix in half a season,he had no time to assemble a staff of his own and had many key players injured and/or out. None of this makes Jeff any less of a leader. I'm not saying Jeff would even be my first choice,there are other candidates who have more experience and are also leaders. There are also coaches who have done well who are not leaders at all (Urban Meyer comes right to mind).

The team went 1-7 because of personnel, not because of coaching.  The glue that was Frank was removed, and Jeff had no less ability to hold things together than any of the other choices at the time.

If you want to think that the performance of the team the past few seasons was Frank's fault, then a person is probably coach-centric in how they think about play on the field, and will also blame Jeff for the failures post-Frank and lay too much blame or credit on the new HC.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Nadine said:

my guess is Resting the Starters although that was a different platform

Oh that thread was legendary. 

Now that I think about it, the Luck retirement thread was pretty long too. 

But this is a similar circumstance in terms of impact for the franchise’s future. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

(sorry guys and gals... just trying to fill some time during SB weekend . Hope I didn't cause any heart attacks :D)

Good way to get back to talking about the search for the next head coach. :)

While everyone is still waiting for breaking news on this HC search, do you all have some favorite assistant coaches that you would like to see remain (from the 2022 group) or get added to the Colts coaching staff.

I see that Reich hired one of my favorite candidates for a coaching staff: Josh McCown. I think it is a great move. Reich is assembling a really good coaching staff. 

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I didnt I dont care about how good of a leader he is if the record doesn't show it. That's the point I'm making. Saturday the player I love Saturday the coach is unproven. We all know he is a good leader from his time as a player.

O.K., hire Steichen, hire an OC, fire Bradley and don't replace him.

How's Steichen doing? He's certainly unproven. I hope he's a good leader.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Someone made a good point that Leonard never played under Saturday. Was Leonard present for practices and games while on IR? (Serious question.)

I suspect he was around during practices, rehabbing, but was definitely on the sidelines during some - if not all of the games.

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

While everyone is still waiting for breaking news on this HC search, do you all have some favorite assistant coaches that you would like to see remain (from the 2022 group) or get added to the Colts coaching staff.

I see that Reich hired one of my favorite candidates for a coaching staff: Josh McCown. I think it is a great move. Reich is assembling a really good coaching staff. 

I’d be cool with Brian Johnson coming over with Steichen.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If there was anyway we could steal Jeff Stoutland from the eagles I would call it a home run but I’d take his assistant OL coach Roy Istvan maybe he learned something from a great. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

(sorry guys and gals... just trying to fill some time during SB weekend . Hope I didn't cause any heart attacks :D)

This is actually brilliant because it's Schefter with the check mark. So you have to believe it for like 3 seconds and be scared until you see the word "interim". Even then, you could skip it the first time. 

Well played prank! :thmup:

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Someone made a good point that Leonard never played under Saturday. Was Leonard present for practices and games while on IR? (Serious question.)

It's not a good point. Mostly everyone else opining about Saturday has also never played under Saturday. 

He was a whole lot closer to the situation than most who pontificate. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The team went 1-7 because of personnel, not because of coaching.  The glue that was Frank was removed, and Jeff had no less ability to hold things together than any of the other choices at the time.

If you want to think that the performance of the team the past few seasons was Frank's fault, then a person is probably coach-centric in how they think about play on the field, and will also blame Jeff for the failures post-Frank and lay too much blame or credit on the new HC.

He went 1-7 because he didnt use the personennel properly. Woods should have gotten more targets especially in the redzone. Campbell and pierce were not used properly either nor was mo ali cox.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Huh?  I don't have an opinion about Saturday.  I was pointing out that the poster who said that he thought Leonard's words held less water than if Ryan or Nelson said it made sense...when Crazy accused him of saying it because of some sort of assumed embedded perpetual disrespect for Leonard.

Please understand the written English language before you try to call me out.  Its a really dumb look for you.

Its a really dumb look for you to question his opinion on a man who was his coach for half a season. 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I’d be cool with Brian Johnson coming over with Steichen.

I wonder what the Colts fan think.

Reich took my guy. Josh McCown will be a head coach some day. He just needs experience. I wish the Vikings has hired him as QB coach.

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He went 1-7 because he didnt use the personennel properly. Woods should have gotten more targets especially in the redzone. Campbell and pierce were not used properly either nor was mo ali cox.

He's not the guy using the personnel and making the targets. That's the responsibility of the OC and QB.

People are a little too HC-centric.

Archived