Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh to jump to NFL?

BProland85

Just now, richard pallo said:

If JH really wants it all he will give it to him.  Not sure he really does though.  If he thinks he can work with a GM he might not want all of the other responsibilities.

Good point.  Keep in mind that Ballards reputation in the league does not match what some think in a fan forum. 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is the owner.  Nothing is going to change till he either passes or turns over control to his daughters. 

Or just let someone else make the decisions just like the Bill Polian days.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

lol...

Attendance is not the same as ticket sales.

tickets were already sold out... 

And you'd be wrong anyway with attendance...

Indy's attendance for 22 is 104.5%... And #2 in the NFL...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Enjoy

Capacity at LOS is 67k. But I’ll go based off that.

54 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

As far as Harbaugh, I would love it. Don't think we are his only option though, and don't think we will be his first choice. Also people need to realize if we do get him Ballard is gone. He will want GM and HC duties. 

As far as Irsay I get it he is not being replaced lol, he has been a solid owner, lately however his decisions have been erratic and controversial. I also don't understand the need for so many here to defend a Billionaire who inherited his fortune, did literally nothing for it. Has a history of being a little unstable.

Is it just because he is the owner of the team you love? It just seems like no matter what happens some will choose to back him over all else and I dont get it.

indy would not have a team without irsay, that is why

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Irsay loses Harbaugh to another team it will be embarrassing for him and we will probably be stuck with a lame coach.

If Harbaugh chooses another team over the Colts Jim is going to have a hard time with that.  I can’t imagine the Panthers or Broncos would appeal to him more.  We shall see I guess.

Just now, richard pallo said:

If Harbaugh chooses another team over the Colts Jim is going to have a hard time with that.  I can’t imagine the Panthers or Broncos would appeal to him more.  We shall see I guess.

I think it depends on what he’s after. He’s been paid well his career as a coach. Maybe it’s not money. Maybe it’s to prove he can win a SB.

I hope he comes here. As another poster said, it will have made the whole season much more tolerable if we get something this good out of it. If not…Season 2 Fairfax GIF by Amazon Prime Video

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No pivot at all. 

You like Frank. 

Only 7% wanted to keep Frank.... 93% wanted him gone...

I didn't expect playoffs when Frank was fired.

I expected eval, a new HC, and drafting a new QB. 

thats why polls are nice. we get to see where the fan base really stands

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If Harbaugh is also GM, Ballard won’t want to be a lame duck GM and probably seek GM options elsewhere 

IF IT HAPPENS....

It may start out with both

But..... if there is a bit of trouble, Ballard is gone and Jim is staying

Ballard at least has an ownership in this train wreck named the Colts

He SHOULD have a very short leash

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Indy does not have a bad roster. What they don’t have is a quality QB or a competent offensive coaching staff. 

Yep I can see a Mike Singletary vs Jim Harbaugh like turnaround across years just based on better offensive identities incorporated like Harbaugh did with 49ers. I’d love to have Vic Fangio back too with players added to play more hybrid fronts that Fangio likes to build upon the current 4-3 ones

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Indy does not have a bad roster. What they don’t have is a quality QB or a competent offensive coaching staff. 

This is why I would be very careful in making any huge changes. Offense needs a QB and some Oline and scheme fixes. I would just be careful in  blowing it and going into a total rebuild. Just some tweeks.

12 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

Depends. NFL really wants that international market. Could be willing to really sweeten the deal.

Jimmy has always had concerns about the IND footprint when it comes to market share.  SE Indiana has lots of Bengals fans.  That allegiance switched when PM was successful, and then Luck, but now that CIN has Burrow Chase and Co. don't be surprised if a lot of fans have already switched back to CIN.

There may come a day where Irsay thinks the market is just too small and competitive to hold his interest.   The Colts had more of a national brand/fan base when PM and Luck were here.  And either London or Mexico City might look attractive to the NFL.

And that clean cut wholesome image that PM, Luck brought is also part of the reason why he dumped on Wentz and loved Matt Ryan.  He wants to sell a clean cut wholesome team to the nation, that's Indianapolis' identity to the rest of the country.  And he need that to work because his inherent market is too small and competitive....especially now with shiny clean Joe Burrow right next door. 

I don't know how wholesome he is, but Will Levis might bring some Kentucky fans with him and away from CIN and TEN has NFL fans.   Irsay drafts Levis to establish a beachhead in CIN and TEN territory.

Competing for market share and fan bases has always been on Irsay's mind.  He has challenges here in IND.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Jimmy has always had concerns about the IND footprint when it comes to market share.  SE Indiana has lots of Bengals fans.  That allegiance switched when PM was successful, and then Luck, but now that CIN has Burrow Chase and Co. don't be surprised if a lot of fans have already switched back to CIN.

There may come a day where Irsay thinks the market is just too small and competitive to hold his interest.   The Colts had more of a national brand/fan base when PM and Luck were here.  And either London or Mexico City might look attractive to the NFL.

And that clean cut wholesome image that PM, Luck brought is also part of the reason why he dumped on Wentz and loved Matt Ryan.  He wants to sell a clean cut wholesome team to the nation, that's Indianapolis' identity to the rest of the country.  And he need that to work because his inherent market is too small and competitive....especially now with shiny clean Joe Burrow right next door. 

That might also be why we get Jim Harbaugh. Instant credibility and interest for season ticket holders. With Harbaugh leading the show, a lot of rope might be given by fans for a few years, IMO.

Just now, chad72 said:

That might also be why we get Jim Harbaugh. Instant credibility and interest for season ticket holders. With Harbaugh leading the show, a lot of rope might be given by fans for a few years, IMO.

Irsay seems to be nostalgic too.  I can imagine him selling Harbaugh on the idea of returning to Indy and having his name repeated on the Ring of Honor as a successful SB winning coach

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know how wholesome he is, but Will Levis might bring some Kentucky fans with him and away from CIN and TEN has NFL fans.   Irsay drafts Levis to establish a beachhead in CIN and TEN territory.

Competing for market share and fan bases has always been on Irsay's mind.  He has challenges here in IND.

Don’t forget NW Indiana is basically Chicagoland extended with virtually everyone being a Bears fan. Basically anywhere outside of an hour or so of Indy is either the sticks with little population or belongs in large part to another market. Even Lafayette and Bloomington has a disproportionate number of transplants from other areas.

Its still unlikely but by no means a guarantee that Indy will always have the Colts.

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Don’t forget NW Indiana is basically Chicagoland extended with virtually everyone being a Bears fan. Basically anywhere outside of an hour or so of Indy is either the sticks with little population or belongs in large part to another market. Even Lafayette and Bloomington has a disproportionate number of transplants from other areas.

Its still unlikely but by no means a guarantee that Indy will always have the Colts.

Hey there. I live in Fort Wayne and it’s not sticks. We are two hours away from Indy. Second biggest city in the state. A lot of bears fans here also.

7 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Indy will have them until Jim dies.   Jim would have to get fairly irate at the fan base to bail on them, IMO.

I doubt that his daughter or Son In Law have much loyalties, especially if they get pressure from the NFL as being a franchise that's needed to expand oversees.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hey there. I live in Fort Wayne and it’s not sticks. We are two hours away from Indy. Second biggest city in the state. A lot of bears fans here also.

Also, before the Colts came and had success, there was a decent amount of Detroit fans in Ft Wayne that "hated" the Bears and their fans.  That sort of thing.

But DET has stunk and has little identity since Barry Sanders.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Indy will have them until Jim dies.   Jim would have to get fairly irate at the fan base to bail on them, IMO.

I doubt that his daughter or Son In Law have much loyalties, especially if they get pressure from the NFL as being a franchise that's needed to expand oversees.

I agree. The league could really go on a PR blitz to make the new international franchise the darling of the league, and would get an outsized portion of attention as a result. Way more potentially lucrative than what Indy could offer.

This all goes away if we return to what we had in the Polian years.

Archived