Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Revis unhappy with current contract might holdout......again

Jay305

If you're on the Jets management/coaching staff, do you consider trading him? If you ask me, he is the best player at his position. But are all the headaches worth it? Trade him, get back some picks and players and if you can trade to a high picking team like Minny or Tampa, you could get Claiborne?

I can't honestly hold it against Revis or any player to try and get as much money out of a relatively short career as possible. The Jets should hold off on re-working his contract again for at least one more season, though. That's a franchise that badly needs a little more of an authoritarian presence over its players.

I can't honestly hold it against Revis or any player to try and get as much money out of a relatively short career as possible. The Jets should hold off on re-working his contract again for at least one more season, though. That's a franchise that badly needs a little more of an authoritarian presence over its players.

Er $12m is more than most people earn in their life, and he's getting it in a single year. He does not need more.

Er $12m is more than most people earn in their life, and he's getting it in a single year. He does not need more.

Two questions:

1. What does this have to do with what I said?

2. Most people only need shelter, food, water, exercise, and company. If $35,000 a year is more than enough to satisfy those basic needs even in a developed country then why is almost no one content with that salary?

wow the Jets issues just pile up they dont need that right now IF he decides to hold out, although I dont agree with the writer of the article about Finnegan or Carr being inferior, neither are no slouches in there own right and both could be number 1 Corners in Indy in my opinion, thats how bad our Corner situation has looked........they arent Revis Island though

Two questions:

1. What does this have to do with what I said?

2. Most people only need shelter, food, water, exercise, and company. If $35,000 a year is more than enough to satisfy those basic needs even in a developed country then why is almost no one content with that salary?

1. You said you don't blame him for trying to squeeze more money out of it, as if he needs more money. By going for more money, he's making himself look like a petulant child, harming his reputation and his team's cap space.

2. There's a huge difference between $35,000 a year and $12m a year. Obviously you want luxuries - but $12m a year worth of luxuries? Get real.

Right, he's only like 250 times as rich as the average American, not 300

And yet he is not an average American so you cannot compare him or any other NFL player to an average American. He is a an athlete in a professional sport who is paid for our entertainment. I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to get the most he can in the time he's in the league. You and I may think he has enough, but we're not in his shoes so who are we to really judge his decision when we're not put in it?

And yet he is not an average American so you cannot compare him or any other NFL player to an average American. He is a an athlete in a professional sport who is paid for our entertainment. I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to get the most he can in the time he's in the league. You and I may think he has enough, but we're not in his shoes so who are we to really judge his decision when we're not put in it?

I disagree, but this could delve into complex social and economic issues that could drag on for pages, and I really don't feel like it.

If he wants to be the highest paid each year then take 1 year contracts. If he wants the securlty of a longer deal then live up to the contract he signed and enjoy the increased security.

I wouildn't pay him a dime more.

By the way - how many Superbowls has he carried his team too? That's right, none. Teams can win Supberbowls without star CBs.

I wonder if him not being the center of attention has anything to do with it....Tebow came in and stole the thunder.....If I were Revis, I'd be in a dark room trying to figure out Stevie Johnson....WR in his own division who keeps torching him.....

I'm not saying I agree just that he doesn't take the whole 12 mil. If he signed the deal play it out.

Jay305, the fan in me agrees with you 100%. The player side of my personality says look at Bears RB Matt Forte.

He was the perfect team soldier who never held out, played, got injured, & the organization grabbed up a Raiders RB as his replacement. Loyalty from a front office perspective isn't always genuine in scope either. Players contracts aren't guaranteed like they are in baseball & however long your contract is on paper. Any NFL organization can tear it up, offer the player less money, or cut you whenever they want to.

All that being said, Revis just got his big pay day recently. Stop being so greedy & go play already.

It appears to me that the problem isn't just that he wants more, again. It's that if the Jets give in to his antics, what's to say that he will not do it again next year? At some point, the Jets have to hold their grownd and have him play with the contract that he agreed to. I would say that being the highest paid player at his position is good enough, and for the Jets, it would be very easy to justify their position of not wanting to renew his contract.

1. You said you don't blame him for trying to squeeze more money out of it, as if he needs more money. By going for more money, he's making himself look like a petulant child, harming his reputation and his team's cap space.

The underlined part is true, the bolded part is you presupposing something that I never said nor intended to say nor actually believe.

2. There's a huge difference between $35,000 a year and $12m a year. Obviously you want luxuries - but $12m a year worth of luxuries? Get real.

So if you had $30 million dollars in the bank and had the opportunity to make $500 million you would turn it down? That's enough money to take care of you, your wife, your kids, your kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids' kids' kids and still have a hefty chunk left over to devote to any pleasures or causes of your choosing. $30 million won't go quite that far.

The underlined part is true, the bolded part is you presupposing something that I never said nor intended to say nor actually believe.

Then what are you trying to say?

So if you had $30 million dollars in the bank and had the opportunity to make $500 million you would turn it down? That's enough money to take care of you, your wife, your kids, your kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids' kids, your kids' kids' kids' kids' kids and still have a hefty chunk left over to devote to any pleasures or causes of your choosing. $30 million won't go quite that far.

What do you mean by the opportunity? I'd not stab every member of my family with a broken bottle for it, no. But you're playing extremes, anyway. I mean, what more can Revis want? $12m up to $15m? That's a far smaller difference than $30m to $500m.

Then what are you trying to say?

Simply that Revis has a fundamental right to try and maximize his earning potential. When you only have about a decade to collect the vast majority of your lifetime income it can pay to be a little pushy and a little stubborn. However, there is a strong risk that if he pushes too hard he could damage his reputation and his future ability to earn.

What do you mean by the opportunity? I'd not stab every member of my family with a broken bottle for it, no. But you're playing extremes, anyway. I mean, what more can Revis want? $12m up to $15m? That's a far smaller difference than $30m to $500m.

It's not a trick question, the opportunity could be something simple and painless or even magnanimous (e.g., investing in a company that cures AIDS) and extremes just serve to illustrate the point more clearly. Basically, there are extremely few of us who wouldn't turn down extra income if afforded the opportunity. There isn't anything inherently wrong with pursuing more money.

At the end of the day $3 million is still a LOT of money and can go a long way provided one invests wisely (Revis' likelihood to do so is another subject entirely but if he doesn't then all the money he throws away can basically be considered economic stimulus :)). In fact, Revis stands to gain considerably more than just $3m per year when you considered how a lot of NFL contracts are structured. His contract has already paid out over $30m so his earnings over the remainder are not going to even come close to what he got in the early years and very little of the remaining money is guaranteed. If he blows out his knee tomorrow and never plays football again that's just about it for him. If, however, he successfully holds out and obtains an extension with a comparatively small yearly raise he'll still get a massive amount of additional guaranteed income that could easily double his net worth even if his career were to end abruptly. There's a lot more at stake there than meets the eye.

I would suck stink out of a pipe with my mouth for a fraction of this money.

I wish teams would just start turning their backs on greedy players like this. Just get someone else and put the talented greedy player behind them.

Not really - study show that in many instances the first generation earns it, the second generation lives off of it, and the third generation squanders it. so it might not be enough to take care of you kids', kids', kids', kids....

And I prefer Wareen Buffet's way - his kids had to get jobs.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with pursuing more money.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with pursuing more money. But there is something unethical about not being willing to live with a contract you signed. If he holds out he is failing to uphold a legal obligation that he entered into.

Some people don't see that as a big deal and some do.

All I have to say is Sick.Everyone always trying to get greedy 12 mill 10 % of the whole teams salary cap and he needs more?Is he trying to drive up the CB market and make it impossible for anyone to sign a future RFA?I guess 1 man of 53 should get 10% plus of the pie?

There isn't anything inherently wrong with pursuing more money. But there is something unethical about not being willing to live with a contract you signed. If he holds out he is failing to uphold a legal obligation that he entered into.

Some people don't see that as a big deal and some do.

I would agree with you 100% if it went both ways, but it doesn't. NFL teams terminate contracts that they agreed to every year, and it doesn't have to be because of injury. How many Colts got cut this offseason that were not at the end of their contracts simply because the new front office was cleaning house? I didn't see much outrage over that, but when a player decides that he wants to rework a contract then he is not upholding his legal obligation. It should be a two-way street.

I would agree with you 100% if it went both ways, but it doesn't. NFL teams terminate contracts that they agreed to every year, and it doesn't have to be because of injury. How many Colts got cut this offseason that were not at the end of their contracts simply because the new front office was cleaning house? I didn't see much outrage over that, but when a player decides that he wants to rework a contract then he is not upholding his legal obligation. It should be a two-way street.

You make a great point its a very complicated situation to say the least

in truth Revis isnt any more guaranteed to be on the team tomorrow then any of us that work are guaranteed not to be hired one minute and fired the next bosses dont have to have a reason to fire you, no its not fair but guess what hes got GUARANTEED money so yes the contractual statement saying you will get your money is actually fullfilled so get into camp besides even if owners had to guarantee the length of the contract would be honored, these players would still want more and blame it on 'I have to feed my family" um if you really cant feed you family on millions and millions of dollars then you need to go get you a Payee to handle your money for ya and not have houses and cars and other toys up the butt, thats not to say I wouldnt want that because of course I would, but alot of these players splurge like crazy with the money and I hope no one counters with the arguent they could get injured at any moment or worse because so could firemen but they know thats part of the job

I lost all respect for Revis when him and Moss jawed back and forth for a week. Come game time moss burnt him deep. One handed catch, and waved at Revis behind him with his other free hand. TD. Revis then "came up lame" and tried to play it off as a hammy problem. When it was very clear it was an act.