Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Cross???

Smonroe

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Just another player with great traits that needs coaching and time to maybe elevate his game. He will get his chance as time goes on and players leave.  

Sure, but you’d expect your 3rd rounder to contribute somewhere, if he’s active.  He showed such promise in the preseason.  

Im just wondering if he’s in the doghouse.

33 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

It is a bit perplexing that he was all over the place and the bell of the ball during TC, and now he has pulled a Houdini. 

He is a rookie, I understand that, but he was getting some serious hype, like he was going to take the starter role and not let go.

Gus is a tough coach.  He hasn’t earned it yet.  Needs to show out in practice.

58 minutes ago, twfish said:

It is perplexing, but he did start the first game. Makes me wonder if he kinda crapped the bed when the lights really came on. It also took a long time for Gus to actually start Rodgers so who knows?

McLeod was also still working his way back from injury week one.  The Colts said McLeod was the intended starter all along and unlike Faycson he’s actually been good.

16 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Yeah he was defintely on ST on Sunday. They even gave him a shoutout on the broadcast for making a tackle.

Thanks, I must have missed it.  And the snap count didn’t include him.  If that’s the case, and he’s at least playing STs, then everything is probably okay.  

He’s a rookie with an experienced player ahead of him.  

2 hours ago, Indy87 said:

Is his boy fayscon showing out in practice? Because he sure isn’t in games.

He started the season as the starter and didn’t show out in real games.  Now Rodgers has overtaken him.  If the starters are playing well then you have to show out in practice.  Cross evidently isn’t doing that right now.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Thanks, I must have missed it.  And the snap count didn’t include him.  If that’s the case, and he’s at least playing STs, then everything is probably okay.  

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about it.  I think people got caught up in Ballard saying he would have been a second round pick next year.  He may very well need another year of development which is why they signed a vet to start.

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

It is a bit perplexing that he was all over the place and the bell of the ball during TC, and now he has pulled a Houdini. 

He is a rookie, I understand that, but he was getting some serious hype, like he was going to take the starter role and not let go.

they went with the veteran vs. Mahomes. McLeod has played well enough, and also provides another on field leader. I think these combined reasons, plus the fact that Thomas II has beaten expectations, leads Cross to less snaps overall

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Isn't Cross the youngest or one of the youngest players in the league?  Plenty of time.

I'm fine with making him earn it.  I just wish they had done the same with Pinter and Pryor, especially Pinter.

Pinter and Pryor played last year and graded very well.   In the mid-70’s.    They earned the opportunity but failed this year as full time starters.    Sucks for the Colts, but they earned their shot. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pinter and Pryor played last year and graded very well.   In the mid-70’s.    They earned the opportunity but failed this year as full time starters.    Sucks for the Colts, but they earned their shot. 

But did they?  Pinter did well at C, but they basically gave him the G spot.  Pryor did okay at G, with what, one game at T, and they gave him the LT job.

They always preach competition but I didn’t see it with those two.  Anyway, the cream rose…er…sank from the top…water reached its own level….  You know what I’m saying, lol!

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But did they?  Pinter did well at C, but they basically gave him the G spot.  Pryor did okay at G, with what, one game at T, and they gave him the LT job.

They always preach competition but I didn’t see it with those two.  Anyway, the cream rose…er…sank from the top…water reached its own level….  You know what I’m saying, lol!

Both graded well.   Plenty of players play C and move to G like Pinter.   Pryor played RT, RG, and two games at LT and graded well everywhere.  He played nearly 500 snaps, that’s half a season.   Why he fell off so far is a mystery. 

I’m not absolving anyone here.   I think the person who deserves the most blame here is Ballard.   Ultimately, this is his team, and it’s a terrible mess. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They hadn't earned anything at LT and RG, that's for sure, and with Pinter you had no real backup plan.   With the drafting of Raimann, I somewhat get Pryor at LT, but Pinter at RG is one of the more questionable decisions Ballard and company have made.

After the 2022 OL debacle, I doubt you will see another Pinter.  Competition will be intense moving forward, I predict.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Looks like he played all the ST snaps.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/analyzing-colts-snap-counts-from-25-20-win-over-raiders/?itm_source=parsely-api

14 minutes ago, #12. said:

They hadn't earned anything at LT and RG, that's for sure, and with Pinter you had no real backup plan.   With the drafting of Raimann, I somewhat get Pryor at LT, but Pinter at RG is one of the more questionable decisions Ballard and company have made.

After the 2022 OL debacle, I doubt you will see another Pinter.  Competition will be intense moving forward, I predict.

Well….   I’m sure there will be a debate both inside and outside the building on Pinter.    

If Kelly is traded away,  Pinter will likely get serious consideration.   He graded very well there last year.   

Pryor is looking at being a backup again.   The hang up will be negotiating down his starter salary this year.   Both sides may simply agree that he should get signed as a FA elsewhere.   

But then the Colts will have to find another back-up who can fill multiple spots as Pryor did very well in 2021.   Maybe that person is Fries, but I’m not sure the Colts can count on him.    He’s got the rest of this year to prove himself for 2023. 

53 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Thanks.  When I looked at the snap counts on StampedeBlue, they didn’t include the STs separately.   That’s why I thought he wasn’t playing at all. 

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….   I’m sure there will be a debate both inside and outside the building on Pinter.    

If Kelly is traded away,  Pinter will likely get serious consideration.   He graded very well there last year.   

Pryor is looking at being a backup again.   The hang up will be negotiating down his starter salary this year.   Both sides may simply agree that he should get signed as a FA elsewhere.   

But then the Colts will have to find another back-up who can fill multiple spots as Pryor did very well in 2021.   Maybe that person is Fries, but I’m not sure the Colts can count on him.    He’s got the rest of this year to prove himself for 2023. 

Right, but my point was that they didn’t earn the positions they were awarded.   Pinter is a decent C, but he never played G for any significant time (if at all).  Yet he was named the starter.  

Same with Pryor, maybe one game at most at LT, yet he was given the job.

I agree that Ballard cr****d the bed with those decisions.  Ballard has been very good, in some ways.  But he made a few decisions that cost us, like letting Autry walk.  No GM is perfect, I get that.  

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

None of this makes any sense to me. Wasn't the idea to put the best players on the field?

My bad.  I started this thread because the article I read didnt list him as having any snaps.  

He was beat out by a more experienced player, but I think he’s the future at safety for us.  

Just young and probably needs coaching. Also remember that the Colts under Ballard typically don’t give rookies a whole bunch of playing time. WR is the only exception. Remember the plan for JT was to have him spell Marlon Mack. They didn’t start really giving him the ball till Mack got injured, and even then they were limiting his Carrie’s despite the explosive plays he kept generating. That’s why him being the 3rd leading rusher in the NFL his rookie year went so unnoticed. 

Also Ballard typically draft traits guys that are really raw as well. Those DEs he drafted way back (Turray, Lewis, Banogu) rarely saw the field early as well.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Just young and probably needs coaching. Also remember that the Colts under Ballard typically don’t give rookies a whole bunch of playing time. WR is the only exception. Remember the plan for JT was to have him spell Marlon Mack. They didn’t start really giving him the ball till Mack got injured, and even then they were limiting his Carrie’s despite the explosive plays he kept generating. That’s why him being the 3rd leading rusher in the NFL his rookie year went so unnoticed. 

Also Ballard typically draft traits guys that are really raw as well. Those DEs he drafted way back (Turray, Lewis, Banogu) rarely saw the field early as well.

I would have to disagree. I think it's actually the opposite of that. Ballard drafts rookies to fill holes on the roster. 

RBs a bit of a different position, given the committee approach. But even at RB, look how much Hines and even Wilkins got on the field as rookies. JT was going to get plenty of playing time.

There are some project players sprinkled in here and there though. But I bet if you looked at snap counts for rookies since 2018, the Colts would be near the top.

Archived