Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, #12. said:

Has it crossed anyone's mind that Sam has perhaps improved over the past year plus?  Maybe he wasn't ready and didn't look like a starter 8-9 months ago?

Last preseason I thought Sam looked nothing like a starting NFL QB.  This preseason he started to change my mind.

Or maybe Reich and the other coaches have coached him up to the point he has improved so much they now think he is ready.  Ballard wanted him to work on his arm   strength in the off-season.  I also read where he worked out with Mahommes during the off-season.   Put it altogether and they now think it’s time.  He changed my mind this preseason too.  

4 minutes ago, cbear said:
11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Glad he is willing to stick around and help Sam.

He's hurting, embarrassed and pretty frustrated, yet he he presents himself like this. Total class and professionalism. If he has the ability, make him part of the coaching staff at some point. 

Expand  

He's hurting, embarrassed and pretty frustrated, yet he he presents himself like this. Total class and professionalism. If he has the ability, make him part of the coaching staff at some point. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Ryan Kelly can’t go out and give support to Sam then he should hit the road.

Kelly is the Union rep.  In my experience, guys like that always seem to have a chip about management.  Mad at trading Wentz.  Questions benching Ryan.  It just comes from a certain point of view that also drives them to want to become a union rep.  I like unions, just saying that the personalities don't seem to be diverse when it comes to how they see management's decisions.

He'll love Sam, then question management again if he gets benched or they have a new QB next year.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If this is true, this is telling bullnonsense.  I'm actually a bit angry at the Colts.

You don't change your QB draft plans simply because you have a new 38 year old QB for 2 years.  How dumb are these people?

It tells me that both of these guys, maybe all three, Reich. Ballard, and Irsay, are in perpetual win-now mode when it comes to looking at QBs.  

I don’t believe it for a minute.   It was a terrible year to draft a quarterback.   And the entire NFL agreed.  

Plus, there have been all the stories that if they didn’t get Ryan, they were going to sign Mariotta or Winston in FA.   

The claim they’d draft a quarterback doesn’t add up at all.  

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t believe it for a minute.   It was a terrible year to draft a quarterback.   And the entire NFL agreed.  

Plus, there have been all the stories that if they didn’t get Ryan, they were going to sign Mariotta or Winston in FA.   

The claim they’d draft a quarterback doesn’t add up at all.  

The poster said that Reich said it, not some rumored source.   

I could see them thinking that Ryan was a step up from Winston.  That signing Winston was a stop gap and you get a QB, then your expectation for the next season changes because Ryan is better.  I just think that when its rare to find QBs in a draft...not even elite QBs but just those that can function....you don't change the plans when you bring on a 38 year old.

Yeah, I'd like to see the quote.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Ryan Kelly can’t go out and give support to Sam then he should hit the road. Maybe if he had did his job Ryan would still be playing.

This would be a good time to make the switch to Pinter at center.  Sam is probably more used to playing behind him any way.  Heck Ballard might then get a call on R. Kelly at the deadline.  You never know.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If this is true, this is telling bullnonsense.  I'm actually a bit angry at the Colts.

You don't change your QB draft plans simply because you have a new 38 year old QB for 2 years.  How dumb are these people?

It tells me that both of these guys, maybe all three, Reich. Ballard, and Irsay, are in perpetual win-now mode when it comes to looking at QBs.  

Yeah it does kind of make them look silly. I don't have a lot of faith in Sam. Great kid but he was a 6th rounder for a reason and I think the more he plays, the more we will see why he was drafted so late. 

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one knows what Sam has.   The Colts hope he has it.   They think he has it.   But until he proves it in real NFL games, no one really knows.   What he did on college only means so much when it comes to the NFL.   You have to prove it here. 

First sentence bolded yes.  2nd. . . .

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The poster said that Reich said it, not some rumored source.   

I could see them thinking that Ryan was a step up from Winston.  That signing Winston was a stop gap and you get a QB, then your expectation for the next season changes because Ryan is better.  I just think that when its rare to find QBs in a draft...not even elite QBs but just those that can function....you don't change the plans when you bring on a 38 year old.

Yeah, I'd like to see the quote.

I understand the poster was saying Frank made the claim.   I didn’t want you to think I was challenging your position, I wasn’t.   I was responding to the poster by commenting on your comment.   Sorry for any perceived confusion there.   

I haven’t had a chance to listen to Frank yet.   Hope to later today.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand the poster was saying Frank made the claim.   I didn’t want you to think I was challenging your position, I wasn’t.   I was responding to the poster by commenting on your comment.   Sorry for any perceived confusion there.   

No Apologies.  I understood what you were saying.  Sorry if my response sounded confrontational, it wasn't meant to be.  Like I said, I'm a bit emotional at the moment if that is actually true.

Not saying that Desmond Ridder, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, or Bailey Zappe are the answers, but you can see how Ryan basically showed what a non functioning QB looks like. 

14 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Man Kelly himself as been bad this year and frankly should be benched as well.

Whats frustrating is the entire team played like crap, Taylor included.

There should have been other people benched as well.

That was wrong to put the blame on Ryan entirely

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Seems like he has had a poor attitude for a while. I imagine the young skill players are very happy for Sam. Pierce already showed support. Pittman is very close with Sam.

Poor attitude?    Huh?    About what?   Beyond the losing and poor OL play.  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No Apologies.  I understood what you were saying.  Sorry if my response sounded confrontational, it wasn't meant to be.  Like I said, I'm a bit emotional at the moment if that is actually true.

Not saying that Desmond Ridder, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, or Bailey Zappe are the answers, but you can see how Ryan basically showed what a non functioning QB looks like. 

I think they put Sam up against those other guys and asked themselves do Willis or ridder have a higher ceiling then Sam. The answer was probably no. I think that goes to show you how much they really believe in Sam.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think they put Sam up against those other guys and asked themselves do Willis or ridder have a higher ceiling then Sam. The answer was probably no. I think that goes to show you how much they really believe in Sam.

Yeah, having remembered more about last spring, you guys are right.  The thinking was that Ryan would play well for two years, and maybe a bit more after that since he's never been injured, so why draft a middle of the road QB in 2020.  Instead, wait until the ensuing years to move up and get your guy to take over for Ryan.

I take back my criticism of Frank and FO....on this matter.

The issue wasn't the plan, it was the evaluation of Ryan and the protection he would have.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, having remembered more about last spring, you guys are right.  The thinking was that Ryan would play well for two years, and maybe a bit more after that since he's never been injured, so why draft a middle of the road QB in 2020.  Instead, wait until the ensuing years to move up and get your guy to take over for Ryan.

I take back my criticism of Frank and FO....on this matter.

If they felt Sam had the same ceiling as those other guys it was the right decision to not draft another QB. Time will tell how those guys turn out if they were right or wrong.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

I don't know what Keefer's sources are, he could be speculating. I have heard several people on this forum suggest the same about Ballard's job security which could be true. Can you explain why it reads that way to you also? Maybe because Irsay and Ballard already seem to be in agreement about moving on from Ryan?

I don’t either so I am taking it with a grain of salt.  Just for sake of argument though I decided to take it as true for that opinion.  The reason I took that from what I read is that if Ballard is really that quick to throw the towel in on Ryan after saying he was the guy for the next two years I thought one of two things had to be true.  He either really thinks Sam is the long term answer or he knows he’s not losing job his job is Sam flames out.  If he really think Sam is the long term answer then why was Ryan brought in in the first place and why did they add Foles?  So I kinda dismiss that as how he was feeling.  That leaves me feeling like if he’s really willing to pull the plug on Ryan this fast then I don’t think he fears losing his job other wise I think he’d be a little more hesitant to turn his job future over to Sam.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t either so I am taking it with a grain of salt.  Just for sake of argument though I decided to take it as true for that opinion.  The reason I took that from what I read is that if Ballard is really that quick to throw the towel in on Ryan after saying he was the guy for the next two years I thought one of two things had to be true.  He either really thinks Sam is the long term answer or he knows he’s not losing job his job is Sam flames out.  If he really think Sam is the long term answer then why was Ryan brought in in the first place and why did they add Foles?  So I kinda dismiss that as how he was feeling.  That leaves me feeling like if he’s really willing to pull the plug on Ryan this fast then I don’t think he fears losing his job other wise I think he’d be a little more hesitant to turn his job future over to Sam.  

They thought Ryan was better than Sam.  Now after seeing Ryan, they think Sam will be better than Ryan.  

I don't think its more complicated than that.    It may be just about this season and not anything long term at this point, or about job security.

How players respond to this change will either save Reich and Ballard or they will be fired. We should get a good feel about if players are still playing hard by the first few drives. I am not worried about the offense because it’s a bunch of young guys still needing to prove themselves. It’s the defense where we will be able to tell if they are playing hard.

The accountability needs to extend beyond Matt Ryan.

The Colts have compensated their own drafted players exceptionally well. Ryan Kelly signed a 4 year 49.65 million dollar contract. The team displayed full support during his personal family tragedy. He is part of the core this franchise is trying to build around.

He is not an innocent bystander in this equation. At least publicly, you would think he would lend hid support to the direction the Colts have taken. He did not appear to have taken any responsibility to this point. His focus should be on playing to his contract and being a positive leader in the locker room. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

My mistake...this was actually said about Wentz. Sorry for the confusion. I am starting to mix up the band-aid veteran QB's.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12254651/indianapolis-colts-planned-to-draft-quarterback-before-carson-wentz-opportunity-says-frank-reich

Archived