Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Yep, You're right. Although 63 can be young for some of us, 63 can be old for others. And right now... he's looking older than his age. Seemed to be having a bit of a struggle to walk after the Titans game... 

It’s related to an injury. He has had multiple surgeries and suffers from chronic back and hip pain. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB is clearly the most important position on the field, I would trade JT to move up, the 2 first rounders are pushing it though. JT would garner a high draft pick.

The first 1st rounder is typically a swap. The 2nd one clinches the deal. That is typically the going rate if you want to move up (say) 10-15 spots in the first round. With CMC not fetching a 1st rounder, JT's value is a 2nd and 3rd with him being on the rookie contract at best, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The first 1st rounder is typically a swap. The 2nd one clinches the deal. That is typically the going rate if you want to move up (say) 10-15 spots in the first round. With CMC not fetching a 1st rounder, JT's value is a 2nd and 3rd with him being on the rookie contract at best, IMO.

Yep. We'd have to give up multiple years of 1st rounders to pull it off depending on how high we have to climb. 

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So what happens with Matt Ryan now? Do the colts cut him? Any possibility of a trade? I mean I doubt Ryan want to be 3rd string . What say you?

He is retiring. He is not going to be part of any other rebuild. The Colts failed to support him like we thought they would and he didn't do us many favors either with adapting to the OL failures. Peyton and Brady, even during their bad OL years, would get rid of the ball fast and take sacks without the debilitating turnovers. But when the OL gave them time, they would push the ball farther. Reich obviously includes himself when he said the Colts failed him because he doesn't provide extra chipping and calls a shallow passing game pretty much all the time and even when the OL gives Ryan time. It is a failure on so many levels and this is almost "waving a white flag" like move, or at best a band aid, IMO. I do feel bad for Ryan.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Matt is done as well. When you have a coach and a GM that doesn't believe in you, I would be done and would move back to Atlanta if I was Matt. Giving up on a QB that is at least .500 is the oddest thing I have ever seen. Usually FO's do that when a team starts 0-5 or worse. Matt wasn't playing anyway for at least 2 or 3 weeks because of his injury but the whole Frank saying "for the rest of the season" is mind blowing. My uncle told me Frank needs to go because if Matt is healthy he should play. 

I think he saw what we all saw, Matt's arm was shot.  Throwing out the one interception that Frank said was on him, his other interceptions have just been rookie level bad.  His accuracy just isn't there consistently and I think that's costing the Colts big time.  Throws that he used to make are now off just a little bit and the velocity taking a step back gives all the room in the world for teams to jump the ball.  I don't think there's a coach in the world that can help that.  I'd probably put in Foles before Ryan if Ehlinger turns out to be that bad, but if we're discussing that, we might as well just keep Ehlinger as the starter and start planning for 2023.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think he saw what we all saw, Matt's arm was shot.  Throwing out the one interception that Frank said was on him, his other interceptions have just been rookie level bad.  His accuracy just isn't there consistently and I think that's costing the Colts big time.  Throws that he used to make are now off just a little bit and the velocity taking a step back gives all the room in the world for teams to jump the ball.  I don't think there's a coach in the world that can help that.  I'd probably put in Foles before Ryan if Ehlinger turns out to be that bad, but if we're discussing that, we might as well just keep Ehlinger as the starter and start planning for 2023.

At this point I would just keep Sam in.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

These next few weeks will be interesting.

55 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I imagine there will be a split in the fan base. Some wanting Sam to succeed and some hoping it fails so we can get a QB in the draft. Even if he succeeds there will be some that think we need better. 

I’m fine either way. I just want the carousel to stop. 

that said, the odds of a rookie QB, Sam or a draftee, coming in and instantly turning this team into a contender are slim to none. It’s gonna be a multi year rebuild

Now that this move is made I would hope Ballard is not sitting at his desk with his feet up.  Our OL needs fixing.  There is a long way to go this season and Sam is going to need all the help he can get and we also need to get the run game going as well.  So far our OL isn't cutting it.  Of course Sam is going to be more mobile that's going to help but it's not the cure.  He could easily get injured as well.  Hopefully Ballard is working the phones and also bringing in some FA OL for workouts.  He still needs to improve this line no matter who is the quarterback. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Now that this move is made I would hope Ballard is not sitting at his desk with his feet up.  Our OL needs fixing.  There is a long way to go this season and Sam is going to need all the help he can get and we also need to get the run game going as well.  So far our OL isn't cutting it.  Of course Sam is going to be more mobile that's going to help but it's not the cure.  He could easily get injured as well.  Hopefully Ballard is working the phones and also bringing in some FA OL for workouts.  He still needs to improve this line no matter who is the quarterback. 

My guess is he is. But I’m not sure who, I’d give fisher a call but that’s pricey and not much of an upgrade

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Now you see why I won’t forgive Luck

Well, a guy like Peyton Manning leaves, look where the Broncos are. A guy like Tom Brady leaves, the Patriots however have managed to be competitive in a slightly better fashion than the Broncos are without that QB. 

You need a stable QB, a stable offensive system, good FA moves and a very good HC to succeed in this league. We would gladly trade places with the Titans with 1 AFCCG appearance and 2 one-and-dones in 2019, 2020 and 2021 with a high AFC seeding. It is not like Ryan Tannehill is a world beater like Mahomes, Allen or Burrow. But he is an excellent opportunistic field general who plays within the system and doesn't do things to hurt the team with turnovers, for most of the time, and Mike Vrabel is an excellent head coach.

You can make the turnaround if you have a GM willing to make a few FA moves and a HC that adapts to what the league is doing and to the strengths of his QB as well. You can't make changes to the most important position on the team and expect the rest of the team to pick up where they left off on O and D from the previous year with so many coaching and player changes, that is never a realistic plan, IMO. The QB and offensive system, the more constant they are, the better things will be.

18 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Maybe. But honestly what else can they do at this point? They've probably seen just about every combination between training and practice. We can't get it done with who we have.

And Ryan will not survive with these deficiencies (OL/Running game). He needs someone who can excape the pocket most of the time. That means Sam, not Foles.  Irsay now knows it is not going to get much better this yr.  They have run out solutions.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man Andrew Luck retiring screwed this whole franchise up. I have never seen such a disorganized situation going on here since before Peyton.

You are starting to see what a bunch of us have been talking about Bestie.

It's looking bleak for the future unless

1.  Sam E. is really good.

2.  We hit at QB in the draft next year.

That's all there is to it.  If either of those things don't happen.  It's going to be a long, slow painful rebuild on this team with overpriced, non premium position players.  

If we aren't competitive within a year from now, we will have to fire sale in order to rebuild.   Pitt will be due a big contract.  This club might do something stupid like sign a RB to a long term contract.

Buckner will need big money.

Leonard.  Well.  EESH.  Gilmore will be too old.

To me it's see how it goes for the next 2 weeks with very winnable games, if it doesn't work out:

comedy central season 3 episode 4 GIF by Workaholics

This doesn't make me happy.  The games have sucked.  No fun.  We have the set up at home and the Colts just are a hard, hard watch.  We watch faithfully each week, but it's not that fun.  Especially last week.  The best thing about last week is that we had a power outage and didn't get to see the first half lol.

We are probably headed towards the purgatory a lot of us were talking about.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wash your mouth out GC…the next Peyton Manning

This is how I’m feeling right now. I’m actually quite excited about our next game now, fed up with the bland stop gap QB’s, onwards and upwards

I called him that because of where he was drafted not because I like Tom brady

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's all there is to it.  If either of those things don't happen.  It's going to be a long, slow painful rebuild on this team with overpriced, non premium position players.  

If we aren't competitive within a year from now, we will have to fire sale in order to rebuild.   Pitt will be due a big contract.  This club might do something stupid like sign a RB to a long term contract.

To me it's see how it goes for the next 2 weeks with very winnable games, if it doesn't work out:

This doesn't make me happy.  The games have sucked.  No fun.  We have the set up at home and the Colts just are a hard, hard watch.  We watch faithfully each week, but it's not that fun.  Especially last week.  The best thing about last week is that we had a power outage and didn't get to see the first half lol.

The power outage part is funny because you didn't miss anything haha . That still sucks having a power outage. I am praying Sam works out, I just think with all the parity there is right now anyone can win the SB or make a fun deep run. If Sam doesn't work out, we will draft a QB IMO. We may need to trade up because I see guys like Young, Stroud, and Hooker going top 5. That QB from KY is pretty good too, this is a great draft class for QB's.

18 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I have not had a chance to rewatch yesterday's game, but many (including Stampede Blue) have mentioned how Matt Pryor was completely overmatched... That is one of the spots, I would think, could still be changed

There is no one on the bench thats any better. Thats on Ballard

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People should be very concerned for the future. Irsay appears to have gone off the rails since the end of last year and now the owners meeting with Snyder. Now he seems to be involved with the jettinsing of Wentz and now the benching of Ryan. No future GM or coach wants to walk into that

And yet, Washington/Snyder was able to hire a 2 time AP Coach of the Year, and a GM with 8 years of NFL GM experience. There are only 32 of these coveted jobs available, and people will put up with a lot to have one of them. 

46 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So what happens with Matt Ryan now? Do the colts cut him? Any possibility of a trade? I mean I doubt Ryan want to be 3rd string . What say you?

Financially, making him a post June 1 cut so they can spread his cap hit over two years seems logical. 

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, a guy like Peyton Manning leaves, look where the Broncos are. A guy like Tom Brady leaves, the Patriots however have managed to be competitive in a slightly better fashion than the Broncos are without that QB. 

You need a stable QB, a stable offensive system, good FA moves and a very good HC to succeed in this league. We would gladly trade places with the Titans with 1 AFCCG appearance and 2 one-and-dones in 2019, 2020 and 2021 with a high AFC seeding. It is not like Ryan Tannehill is a world beater like Mahomes, Allen or Burrow. But he is an excellent opportunistic field general who plays within the system and doesn't do things to hurt the team with turnovers, for most of the time, and Mike Vrabel is an excellent head coach.

Ryan Tannehill hit the lottery. He is an average QB but in the perfect system and to his credit he takes advantage of it. The way their team is built though, they still need him to make big plays in the playoffs to really win anything big and he just hasn't. 

This just makes everyone on this organization look silly with a lot of egg on their faces. Ever since they forced Wentz out and got Ryan they all raved about how great he was and played him up to be on Peyton's level. They should all be forced to come out and get the public shaming they deserve!

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan Tannehill hit the lottery. He is an average QB but in the perfect system and to his credit he takes advantage of it. The way their team is built though, they still need him to make big plays in the playoffs to really win anything big and he just hasn't. 

Insane to think about that he has outlasted Luck, RGIII, and Wilson. I put Wilson in the mix because he's looking done himself. 

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

This just makes everyone on this organization look silly with a lot of egg on their faces. Ever since they forced Wentz out and got Ryan they all raved about how great he was and played him up to be on Peyton's level. They should all be forced to come out and get the public shaming they deserve!

In hindsight, they probably should've went out and attempted to drafted a QB immediately after the Brissett experiment failed. Live and learn... Or in this case, live and fail? 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. If Sam E can be that QB that doesn't turn the ball over but can put up 20-25 points every game, I would take it with the way this D is playing and assuming we can still get the run game going with JT. Ryan, with A J Brown and Henry, didn't need to take risks and turn it over, but this year he will have more trouble. It is not like they have weapons out the wazoo, it is just that they play FA well to complement what they have. If Irsay wants to win the division like TN, he needs a GM not afraid to make moves and a HC that also deserves the same QB for a few years.

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

With the history of the colts outside of the Polian/Manning era, this may be a long mediocre to bad football period for fans to watch. 

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

The truth might be in order unless he is a Cameleon.

Coach Reich telling the truth: Alright guys, we're going to go with Sam. I know we brought Matty Ice here to provide us veteran leadership, but..... we were wrong. He's just too old and too slow. Hehe....we even compared him to Manning. Boy were we wrong! And remember Brisett and Wentz? Yeah, that didn't work out either.

But this time we're right! We're going to follow our third string QB, I mean second, wait no, now he's the starter. Yes. Trust us guys, we know what we're doing. We're going to rely on Sam to lead us!

Who's with me?

Guys?

Guys?

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Not even Dan Snyder is trading for a 39 year old QB who was benched for Elingher. He has a 35M cap hit next year. 

Its crazy how I thought the trade for Ryan was such a slam dunk. I was wrong. 

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man Andrew Luck retiring screwed this whole franchise up. I have never seen such a disorganized situation going on here since before Peyton.

Two things can be true at the same time. I'm happy that Andrew is going to live his life with his wealth, family, and the remainder of his health.

His retirement absolutely screwed us and set this team back at least 5-7 years. 

Just now, Never_Quit said:

Two things can be true at the same time. I'm happy that Andrew is going to live his life with his wealth, family, and the remainder of his health.

His retirement absolutely screwed us and set this team back at least 5-7 years. 

I agree, I am happy for Andrew but as you said that set us back years. When he retired, I said this will set us back 5 years. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I imagine there will be a split in the fan base. Some wanting Sam to succeed and some hoping it fails so we can get a QB in the draft. Even if he succeeds there will be some that think we need better. 

Even if Sam succeeds I would draft a qb to compete with him or be the backup next year.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The power outage part is funny because you didn't miss anything haha . That still sucks having a power outage. I am praying Sam works out, I just think with all the parity there is right now anyone can win the SB or make a fun deep run. If Sam doesn't work out, we will draft a QB IMO. We may need to trade up because I see guys like Young, Stroud, and Hooker going top 5. That QB from KY is pretty good too, this is a great draft class for QB's.

It was funny. My son had some friends over.  We project the colts game on a wall, probably 6 by 10 feet or something and have 2 other TVs with games on in the family room.

Power went out.  Kids ran over to my in laws with a generator.  Power came back on.  They came back and it well wasn't that good. lol.  

Glad my brothers couldn't come over.  Would have been * and probably drunk lol.   

40 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I bet Fisher can help get the run game going again.  I don't think he can be that expensive at this stage of the season.

He may be able to help, but I think solidifying RG will help us more at the moment. That's by far the absolutely worst position on the OL. Pryor has been atrocious and D Kelly at least looked good against the talented Jax DL. Washington has a good DL as well, so it'll be interesting how he fairs.

To me, bringing in a veteran band-aid at RG could make the biggest difference for us in stabilizing the OL. I think with someone even competent next to Smith, it'll help elevate his game a bit more.

Archived