Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Texans Post Game Thoughts / Week 1 Assessment --09/11/22 ((MERGE))

EastStreet

• NFLfan changed the title to 2022 Colts at Texans Post Game Thoughts / Week 1 Assessment --09/11/22 ((MERGE))
  • Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

you can clearly see it when the colts are struggling .  its obvious the pass rush pass protection and skill positions are lacking .   today matt ryan was pressured non stop the colts struggled to get pressure and the wide receivers struggled .  it is because of a lack of talent and coaching .    great teams cover up bad coaching look at manning with adam gase he still did good .  it cant just be coaching the players are not showing up

I thought that $80 mil left Gs are supposed to make an average LT so much better.   No.  Good coaching can allow a great LT to make an average G better.  Some have it backwards.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

At some point plsyers also have to take responsibility. These are grown men. A coach can only do so much. Maybe Ballard is also not getting the right players. We need dogs.

I disagree with this very much.

Its not players job to make up for a coaches shortcomings. Players execute the coaches plan, but it needs to be a solid plan. They didnt play well today but they certainly played well enough to win outside of 6-8 horrible plays.

The players have changed year to year but the identity of this team remains. They are a team that starts slow and makes stupid mistakes at crucial times against inferior competition. They lack focus and discpline. They lack leadership from their coach. 

Frank cost us this game with his ridiculous wildcat play on 4th and goal. Just another boneheaded decision that shows he still hasnt learned from his mistakes and takes no responsibility for his past. It makes no sense to run that play in that spot. No sense what so ever.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

How was run D today 

Grover Stewart was a beast in the middle. He and Paye were our best players on D. Their whole offense was pretty bad except for two busted plays by our LBs to a backup TE, along with the flea flicker. We gave the Texans so many yards and opportunities via penalties.

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

A LOT (!!) of execution mistakes, that's on coaching.

A lot of questionable play calls, that's on coaching.

Get outcoached by Lovie Smith, priceless...

The only reason we were even on this game late is because JT is an monster, everything else was not good enough.

Pittman was great too

I really don't understand why Frank Reich under-utilizes players like Mo Alie-Cox and Nyheim Hines. They are our next best offensive weapons after Taylor and Pittman.

I taught when Ryan went up tempo and started spreading the ball around in the 4th quarter we looked good on offense. Hopefully Frank Reich picks up some learnings.. but its Year 5 now and he still has playcalling issues. 

I dont know. 

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hines had six catches and was the Colts second leading receiver.  Other than than I pretty much agree with what you said.

I was probably just expecting more with the talk of how they would use him and how well he did today. It was basically him and Pitt in the passing game. 

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

I really don't understand why Frank Reich under-utilizes players like Mo Alie-Cox and Nyheim Hines. They are our next best offensive weapons after Taylor and Pittman.

I taught when Ryan went up tempo and started spreading the ball around in the 4th quarter we looked good on offense. Hopefully Frank Reich picks up some learnings.. but its Year 5 now and he still has playcalling issues. 

I dont know. 

Remember he is giving Ryan a lot of freedom at the line from what he is seeing.

What has Pierce done to earn reps over Strachan & Patmon?  Time to let the rookie sit and watch. These games matter. We don’t have time for him to get adjusted to the NFL game and learn how to catch the ball.  We need guys that are gonna produce. Both Patmon & Strachan balled out in preseason. They need the live reps. 

6 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I dont know. 

Hines got six targets and was their second leading receiver.  That’s a lot for the backup running back.

Mo I just think is a guy.  He’s not great but he’s not bad.  The problem is the Colts have too many guys like that.

As for the rest of the coaching Frank isn’t going to change his spots at this point but yeah he was a major problem today.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The entire team needs blown up. Ballard clearly isn’t getting enough dogs that want to play. Coach van only do so much. Reich, Ballard, overpriced players need to go.

I hope you are joking, it is 1 game and we didn't lose. This may be your post ever in all seriousness. If we actually lose next week than I will apologize but this post is ridiculous. 

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Inexcusable for Ryan to lose that 5 yards making a FG five yards longer.

The whole play was ridiculous......calling a passing play when you have the best running back in the league who even if he gets stuffed at the line it's still a 37 yard fg and then why a player with Ryan experience didn't just throw the ball away when it was clear the play was blown is madness! 

3 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Grover Stewart was a beast in the middle. He and Paye were our best players on D. Their whole offense was pretty bad except for two busted plays by our LBs to a backup TE, along with the flea flicker. We gave the Texans so many yards and opportunities via penalties.

Gilmore too.  He’s definitely our CB1.  He showed a good closing burst.  Was inches from a pick.  He’s gonna shine this year once our defense starts to gel. 

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Agreed. Was expecting more Hines and Taylor on at the same time. Seems like if one is in, the other is out. Also never handed the ball to Campbell on the jet sweeps. What's the point in faking something you aren't willing to do? 

Yup.... Did see Hines at least out wide WR.... 

More Hines+Taylor please.. 

My reaction before the 4th quarter:

Jan 3, 2021 -- Colts manhandled and embarrassed by the worst team in the league

Sept 11, 2022 -- Colts manhandled and embarrassed by the worst team in the league

Secret message from Carson Wentz -- It wasn't me.

My reaction after the game:

So....  Does a tie end our opening week losing streak?

Archived