Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If I we're the colts I would strongly consider...

Indeee

Trading Freeney, Brown and a possible 5th for Forte. Chicago writer stated he thought bears would trade him and i say if that's the case let's see whats up..

Hmm Freeny,Brown for Forte and hmm another 5th round pick maybe 4th at best

Here i go again bet you all have read this from me before.Drop Freeney like a (Hot Tater)Just keep it real and think about it 1 man = the loss of atleast 5 FA signings,Forte maybe Gaffney,Asante Samuel,Franklin Aubrayo multiple OGs availableShiancoe, Visanthe so many possibilities without Freeney.Do the math and explain to me not because you like him but because hes going to be 11 man def.He does not fit IMO unless a very favorable very very favorable restructure hes hampering the team.1 player at his position cannot meet the needs of the team.

Imagine the Bears defense if that did go through. Freeney, Briggs, Peppers, and Urlacher...wow!

imagine the Colts potential running game if our offensive line does their job as well not to mention it would free up cap space although since Forte would probably want a new deal I dont know how much cap space

I wouldnt be against paying Forte Micheal Turner type money or theirabouts, hes earned it compared to what other top gus ar emaking at running back well except ray rice, that man need paid to, Turner is do $5,000,000, it would be a better investment then any of the players we let go recently

imagine the Colts potential running game if our offensive line does their job as well not to mention it would free up cap space although since Forte would probably want a new deal I dont know how much cap space

Yeah, Forte wants a big contract, so it wouldn't be saving much cap space. He would be a sweet addition to the offense, but more of a luxury than a need

Yeah, Forte wants a big contract, so it wouldn't be saving much cap space. He would be a sweet addition to the offense, but more of a luxury than a need

I agree, but if we can maybe pay him lets say 5 million, which isnt bad considering we trade freeny it would be worth it, I would think he would take 5 million in a heart beat compared to what he is making now (I can hope anyway)

I agree, but if we can maybe pay him lets say 5 million, which isnt bad considering we trade freeny it would be worth it, I would think he would take 5 million in a heart beat compared to what he is making now (I can hope anyway)

I don't think he would. He probably wants in the $7+ range because he has played very well throughout his career and is still young.

I don't think he would. He probably wants in the $7+ range because he has played very well throughout his career and is still young.

probably, in that case, keep what we got now and make a play for Montee Ball next year if were in the position to do that

Forte would want a similar contract to Fosters. I think he would be worth it. He is a super productive back. Great runner and catches the ball very well out of the back field. He would be Luck's best friend. I had mentioned this trade before because the Bears wanted to get Mario Williams but couldn't afford him. They need someone to partner with Peppers and that defense has only a small window left to win. They just signed Bush so they could part with him possibly. Basically we would save 7 to 8 million dollars and have a top 5 running back. We could then focus on going for defense in the draft and build a team around a more traditional 3-4. I don't think we can resign Freeney so it would be nice to get something in return. It really would benefit both teams. The kicker is that both teams would have to know that both guys would sign an extension which is something that I think we both would be interested in. That front line would allow the Bears to get after Rodgers and Stanton and our running game would be very dangerous and take a ton of pressure off Luck. I'm not sure about trading Brown in the deal because I think he would be a good compliment back but whatever the case I liked this deal when I brought it up because it made everyone happy...including Bears and Colts. It is too logical though and so it won't happen.

At first when I read this, I thought no way, don't even think about it. But now, Freeney isn't getting younger, Bears need another great DE, Forte wants a new contract and I don't think he will get it with the Bears. A lot of this would make sense to me, I would definitely think about it.

I have never been an advocate of paying a RB big money. RB's are a dime a dozen, we see no name RB's come out of nowhere all the time to be successful in the NFL. They are extremely injury prone and one bad cut and their careers could be over or they will never be the same. RB use to be a very highly valued position in the NFL but it just isn't anymore. Way too many of them have very short careers. I would rather have mediocre talent at RB and just try to have a top O-line. Any RB can look good with good blocking.

At first when I read this, I thought no way, don't even think about it. But now, Freeney isn't getting younger, Bears need another great DE, Forte wants a new contract and I don't think he will get it with the Bears. A lot of this would make sense to me, I would definitely think about it.

The fact that we are wanting to be like a Raven's style team with a very good running game tells me this move would make sense. Giving Luck a great RB like Forte would go a long way in his development, and Id be fine with trading Freeney and Brown for Forte.

Imagine the Bears defense if that did go through. Freeney, Briggs, Peppers, and Urlacher...wow!

I'd LOVE the idea (although I'd rather see Freeney + Brown for Forte + a pick), but this would have to be considered really short term thinking by them, if they do it... DF is 32, Briggs will be 32 in November, Peppers is 32, and Urlacher is weeks away from 34. Awesome collection of histories, and a solid group of workout warriors, but "gas left in the tank" has to be a question for all of them at some point soon.

I think those in favor of giving up anything to get Forte have lost sight of the direction of the league and the value placed on RB's. In other words, you can make a much more fiscally sound decision than making a large investment in a RB going on his second contract.

1) It is a passing league, even if the Colts profess a wish to be a running team

2) A feature back is getting close to being a thing of the past. Combo's are very clearly the way things are going

3) You can get similar production from a much less expensive player and one with more tread on the tire than a back going into his 6th season

Draft running backs. They take too much of a pounding and usually have a short life span in the NFL. Get fresh guys out of college and get more out mileage out of them. I really like Forte, but I just don't see it IMO. Plus we still have Brown who seems to be coming into his own and Carter will get better with more experience.

If a really good running back is there for us in the draft at the right time Grigson says that they take the best player available. If that happens to be a running back then +1 for us and it did not cost us anything.

I think those in favor of giving up anything to get Forte have lost sight of the direction of the league and the value placed on RB's. In other words, you can make a much more fiscally sound decision than making a large investment in a RB going on his second contract.

1) It is a passing league, even if the Colts profess a wish to be a running team

2) A feature back is getting close to being a thing of the past. Combo's are very clearly the way things are going

3) You can get similar production from a much less expensive player and one with more tread on the tire than a back going into his 6th season

So...how many times do we have to pass the ball huh?? Seriously, avg team gets about 65 plays a game. Do you suggest we pass 45,50, 60 times??? That is a recipe for disaster. Lets say we run the ball even just 25 times. 20 with Forte and 5 with our other backs. That still gets you 40 passes a game. That is VERY pass Happy even. No matter how pass oriented you are you still need a strong running game to create balance and slow down the pass rush. If you don't your just asking to get your qb (a rookie one in this instance) killed dropping back that much. There is plenty of room for a priemere running back on the offense. Especially one that has avg 1000 yards rushing and OH WAIT FOR IT...500 yards receiving and over 50 catches a year. I'm sorry can you say COMPLETE back. This kid can do it all. He can instantly boost your passing game while keeping you balanced in the run game. He doesn't need more than 20 rushes because you can also target him 4 or 5 passes a game as well and he just produces.

Feature backs aren't going away. Baltimore, San Francisco, Houston, Tennessee, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Seattle all had pretty much a feature back. The reason we haven't seen it as much is because there just isn't enough special ones to go around (all the more reason to grab one). Running the ball isn't a bad thing. It salts games away, it wears down defenses, it allows for ball control, it is the great equalizer, and in the red zone where it is hard to score it is extremely effective.

Just so you know he is entering his 5th season. I'm sorry but that isn't washed up. He is entering the prime of his career. At the end of his next 4 year contract he will be done. But he should have PLENTY left in the tank. He is one of those special players like Ray Rice, CJ, Arian Foster, and MJD. Not only can he run but he catches. He is a legitimate good guy and we get him in his prime.

Now I know this trade won't happen because of the contracts involved but lets be honest. Forte has much great upside and more in the tank than Freeney. That said this is one of those trades that would actually help both sides. We are rebuilding and need talent and a lot of help for Luck. Chicago just signed a good running back and has a very small window for their aging defense. 2 or 3 years and they will be rebuilding like us. They got to swing for the fences now. Freeney would help them get after the great qbs in their division Rodgers and Stafford. Having a running back would help us because our division is a very run heavy division. We have 3 of the top 5 running backs in the league in our division. If you look it actually makes sense. However blockbuster trades don't happen in the nfl.

So...how many times do we have to pass the ball huh?? Seriously, avg team gets about 65 plays a game. Do you suggest we pass 45,50, 60 times??? That is a recipe for disaster. Lets say we run the ball even just 25 times. 20 with Forte and 5 with our other backs. That still gets you 40 passes a game. That is VERY pass Happy even. No matter how pass oriented you are you still need a strong running game to create balance and slow down the pass rush. If you don't your just asking to get your qb (a rookie one in this instance) killed dropping back that much. There is plenty of room for a priemere running back on the offense. Especially one that has avg 1000 yards rushing and OH WAIT FOR IT...500 yards receiving and over 50 catches a year. I'm sorry can you say COMPLETE back. This kid can do it all. He can instantly boost your passing game while keeping you balanced in the run game. He doesn't need more than 20 rushes because you can also target him 4 or 5 passes a game as well and he just produces.

Feature backs aren't going away. Baltimore, San Francisco, Houston, Tennessee, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Seattle all had pretty much a feature back. The reason we haven't seen it as much is because there just isn't enough special ones to go around (all the more reason to grab one). Running the ball isn't a bad thing. It salts games away, it wears down defenses, it allows for ball control, it is the great equalizer, and in the red zone where it is hard to score it is extremely effective.

Just so you know he is entering his 5th season. I'm sorry but that isn't washed up. He is entering the prime of his career. At the end of his next 4 year contract he will be done. But he should have PLENTY left in the tank. He is one of those special players like Ray Rice, CJ, Arian Foster, and MJD. Not only can he run but he catches. He is a legitimate good guy and we get him in his prime.

Now I know this trade won't happen because of the contracts involved but lets be honest. Forte has much great upside and more in the tank than Freeney. That said this is one of those trades that would actually help both sides. We are rebuilding and need talent and a lot of help for Luck. Chicago just signed a good running back and has a very small window for their aging defense. 2 or 3 years and they will be rebuilding like us. They got to swing for the fences now. Freeney would help them get after the great qbs in their division Rodgers and Stafford. Having a running back would help us because our division is a very run heavy division. We have 3 of the top 5 running backs in the league in our division. If you look it actually makes sense. However blockbuster trades don't happen in the nfl.

Dear God.

Yep - I am clearly suggesting throwing the ball 60 times per game.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I got bored...

Dear God.

Yep - I am clearly suggesting throwing the ball 60 times per game.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I got bored...

I apologize for boring you with the facts. Fact is you can be a passing team and still run the ball 25 to 30 times a game. Fact is many teams have a feature back (and very successful at that). Fact that Forte is entering his 5th season not his 6th. Hopefully that was succinct enough for you.

Trading Freeney, Brown and a possible 5th for Forte. Chicago writer stated he thought bears would trade him and i say if that's the case let's see whats up..

I'd trade Freeney for the Bears No.1 choice?

..but we're not trading Donald Brown..for a guy who didnt finish last season due to a knee injury

I'd trade Freeney for the Bears No.1 choice?

..but we're not trading Donald Brown..for a guy who didnt finish last season due to a knee injury

You are joking right? You do know who Matt Forte is? His knee injury has healed fine and knee injuries are not the career ending injuries they were back in the 90s.

You are joking right? You do know who Matt Forte is? His knee injury has healed fine and knee injuries are not the career ending injuries they were back in the 90s.

Matt Forte missed the final 4 games of the 2011 season......I know you know that.

There is NO GUARANTEE he's 100%. he has not played or worked out for the Bears

..and he wants the same contract Chris Johnson (Tennesse) has...and that's no joke.

Look at where I am.......we know all about it up here..

I apologize for boring you with the facts. Fact is you can be a passing team and still run the ball 25 to 30 times a game. Fact is many teams have a feature back (and very successful at that). Fact that Forte is entering his 5th season not his 6th. Hopefully that was succinct enough for you.

Here is another fact I know - the Colts will not end up with him.

And forgive my error on his years in the league. You are correct but still the very solid point stands - paying fat cash for a position that wears down like RB's do is simply not going to happen.

Here is another fact I know - the Colts will not end up with him.

And forgive my error on his years in the league. You are correct but still the very solid point stands - paying fat cash for a position that wears down like RB's do is simply not going to happen.

Nor, is it a smart idea. Thats why the Bears aren't writing that check. RB's aren't worth it. Some desperate team will end up forking out the cash, but they will be making a mistake.

The fact that we are wanting to be like a Raven's style team with a very good running game tells me this move would make sense. Giving Luck a great RB like Forte would go a long way in his development, and Id be fine with trading Freeney and Brown for Forte.

Yeah, and Forte reminds me of Marshall Faulk with how he can catch and run the ball. The only problem is with being more than half the Bears offense, how much more can this guy produce year after year. RBs have a very short shelf life.

we arent going to have a Ravens-style team...

we're going to throw the ball more than they do....we're drafting the top passer in college football

we arent going to have a Ravens-style team...

we're going to throw the ball more than they do....we're drafting the top passer in college football

No we aren't. Andrew Luck is a good qb but he was 5th in the nation in passer rating. 17th in the nation in passing yardage. 7th in completion percentage. Tied for 4th in TDs. He also threw almost twice as many picks as Griffen. Just saying this kid should be really good...but there was a reason he didn't win the heisman trophy. He wasn't the best at all last year and was clearly beaten out by statistically by RG3 in every category. He may very well become a HOF qb but that doesn't mean we have to play like an arena team. What makes you think we want to sit back and throw the ball so much? I'm just wandering? Other teams drafted rookie qbs and few just sent him back and had him throw the ball 40+ times a game.

Nor, is it a smart idea. Thats why the Bears aren't writing that check. RB's aren't worth it. Some desperate team will end up forking out the cash, but they will be making a mistake.

No the Bears are notoriously cheap. Angelo is a joke of a GM. Why did the Titans, Vikings, Seahawks, Texans all just resign their backs? Because they are irreplacable that is why. These are game changers. I believe Forte fits into that mold but perhaps I'm the only one and I can accept that. If you use your logic the Cowboys should have let Smith walk long before winning their last championship and LT should never have set single season rushing TD record for the Chargers. To just say they are washed up after 4 years in the league seems like a pretty poor arguement. If you was to say it is because I don't want to pay my RB that much ok..but there is little denying that he would make our team a lot better...and save us money that we would be paying Freeney and allow us to sign other players.

No we aren't. Andrew Luck is a good qb but he was 5th in the nation in passer rating. 17th in the nation in passing yardage. 7th in completion percentage. Tied for 4th in TDs. He also threw almost twice as many picks as Griffen. Just saying this kid should be really good...but there was a reason he didn't win the heisman trophy. He wasn't the best at all last year and was clearly beaten out by statistically by RG3 in every category. He may very well become a HOF qb but that doesn't mean we have to play like an arena team. What makes you think we want to sit back and throw the ball so much? I'm just wandering? Other teams drafted rookie qbs and few just sent him back and had him throw the ball 40+ times a game.

;''

Calm down......We're drafting the guy everybody says is the top passer.

That didnt mean he threw for the most yards or the most TDs.

He's the one who reads defense//escapes the rush and throws on the money.

He's the No.1 rated guy..we all know that, right?

That's what I meant.

..I didnt say anything about 'playing like an arena team" or throwing '40 times a game'

I just said we'll throw more than Baltimore.

We're indoors. They're outdoors.

They have Flacco...

See?