Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will this be a top 10 defense?

AwesomeAustin

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We reportedly have made him an offer.  So they must feel differently.  He’s a difference maker.  Our current receivers are not and we are trying to win now.  I would much rather have him on the field given the circumstances rather than our current players.  Teams would have to account for him.  He’s a definite upgrade and that’s what we are looking for.  

I’m sure they made him an offer.  I’m betting it’s closer to 9m a year than the 12-15m. Not one time did I say he wasn’t wanted so not sure what your point was. I laid out what we already have and anticipated role and how that would factor into salary.  

So the same logic, if the Colts made him an offer why hasn’t he signed it?  Probably bc the team values his expected contribution less than people think and offered less.  Landry is not getting a 3-4 year deal for 36-60 million. It will be 1-2 years in the 10-22m range. 

I agree he is an upgrade but we have 30% of his position snaps covered.  He would get tops 5-10 targets a game and he won’t bring anywhere close to 12-15m in production. We have the chain moving types covered by multiple players...we need a play making receiver and Landry is not the guy.  Colts would find a way to use him but it would be as a role player and role players don’t get 12-15m a year

Defensively speaking Im not ready to say this yet until I see how we fill in the rest of the defensive line

reserves and other depth positions in the secondary.  We have a chance to if our pass rush is really good. 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:07 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Depends on the front 4. This D is built on the ability of the front 4 to get pressure.

Looking at the "advanced defense" tab on pf reference seems to insinuate the Colts had a poor rush, which aligns with what my eyes told me.  Only one team had a weaker pressure percentage than Indy at 18.1%.  And the Colts were dead last in QB hurry %, which is a testament to their defense that they managed to finish 14th in opposing passer rating at a respectable 90.5.  

I think the Colts have two problems.  First, their secondary needed help which is why they chased Gilmore and I'd still want to see some draft help on top of that.  Secondly they are not very good at getting pressure on opposing QB's.  Their failure to make the playoffs that last game vs the Jags involved a ton of losing in the trenches.

So to the original topic the Colts finished 11th in scoring against, which is a testament to FLus' approach which includes team hustle and limiting big plays.  Now there's a new sheriff in town and he'd only need some minor improvement to finish top 10, so it is easy to expect improvement to pull that off.  But for me I don't like the DC's history of production.  I think the Colts are going to win enough to make the playoffs but I expect the defense to be middle of the pack at best because Bradley is a rather inflexible shot caller who gets bested frequently.

4 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

No.  without a pass rush or the ability to stop Henry the D is still just OK.  

Future pass rush in question but the ability to stop Henry in serious doubt!!!  Not sure if scheme is the biggest issue or lack of a stout DL but Buckner and Stewart failed to stop the Freight Train in Henry!!!!  I miss Al Woods to be honest but CB chose Stewart.

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Looking at the "advanced defense" tab on pf reference seems to insinuate the Colts had a poor rush, which aligns with what my eyes told me.  Only one team had a weaker pressure percentage than Indy at 18.1%.  And the Colts were dead last in QB hurry %, which is a testament to their defense that they managed to finish 14th in opposing passer rating at a respectable 90.5.  

I think the Colts have two problems.  First, their secondary needed help which is why they chased Gilmore and I'd still want to see some draft help on top of that.  Secondly they are not very good at getting pressure on opposing QB's.  Their failure to make the playoffs that last game vs the Jags involved a ton of losing in the trenches.

So to the original topic the Colts finished 11th in scoring against, which is a testament to FLus' approach which includes team hustle and limiting big plays.  Now there's a new sheriff in town and he'd only need some minor improvement to finish top 10, so it is easy to expect improvement to pull that off.  But for me I don't like the DC's history of production.  I think the Colts are going to win enough to make the playoffs but I expect the defense to be middle of the pack at best because Bradley is a rather inflexible shot caller who gets bested frequently.

Bradley mentioned his focus is the Colts’ 3rd down pass rush. Reich also mentioned John Fox really helping prep these guys for game day. 

Yannick is a big upgrade at edge. Paye can only get better. Buckner & Stewart both underperformed last year given their salaries IMO. 

Our line has potential to be very very good if Paye & Dayo develop.

I think we will have the best defense we’ve had in the last 15 years if healthy. 

42 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Future pass rush in question but the ability to stop Henry in serious doubt!!!  Not sure if scheme is the biggest issue or lack of a stout DL but Buckner and Stewart failed to stop the Freight Train in Henry!!!!  I miss Al Woods to be honest but CB chose Stewart.

I don’t love Stewart either at 10+ million. Hoping he has a bounce back year. But Al Woods isn’t it either. 

The good thing about this defense is that we will be able to fill in the gaps with a variety of people.

Blackmon, Willis, & Moore are all great tacklers that can blitz off the edge or hit Henry before he hits the 2nd level if Leonard or Okereke can’t fight through the blocks 

6 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

No.  without a pass rush or the ability to stop Henry the D is still just OK.  

We did get Yannick = pass rush, and Henry isn't a spring chicken anymore. Roll with Tannehill that will get you nowhere. Colts will win the South and when they do I will be here to tell all the doubters I told you so. I put my predictions where my mouth is, most don't. Roll with Tennessee as some are and that is cool season 3 laughing GIF

On 4/15/2022 at 11:31 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, I would say yes if we don't have any major injuries. Just need some more depth in the draft at EDGE and CB IMO, and we're set at defense. I would say we will be in the top 5-10 range honestly. 

Yes, it mostly depends on injuries and the injuries will happen but hopefully nothing that keeps players out a significant amount time. 

I think it certainly has that chance. It was right on the cusp last year.

But the Colts also forced a lot of TOs last year (2nd in the NFL). They could do it again, but seeing that Leonard had 8 * himself (one less than he had in his first 3 years combined), I would expect there could be some regression there.

But Gilmore should help the pass defense...and Ngakoue should help to improve their sack totals and pressure rates, which could offset any regression in TOs.

If they get those improvements AND continue to be a top 2 in TOs...it's probably a top 5 defense.

I havent read all 2 pages of this thread, so forgive me if i am just regurgitating what someone else may have already said.... but we are putting A LOT of faith / hope into Paye and Dayo being able to be key players on this line in order for this to be a good defence, nevermind a top 10 defence.

If they don't take the steps that we need them too, the Buckner and Ngakoue will have trouble getting to the QB and causing trouble at the LoS. That whole unit needs to hum, not just 2/4.

Put that alongside the lack of real depth at CB (Gilmore on one side, Rodgers on the other with Moore in the middle.... great)... but Gilmore not performing like we all hope and Rodgers thrust into a season long starter role and not being consistent are very real possible outcomes, which could all the more shine a light on Paye and Dayo not getting home if they arent what we all hope.

Does this D have the potential to be a top 10 unit? Absolutely.
Does it have the potential to be a bottom 10 unit...... yeah.....

Personally I am more hopeful that it will pan out like we all think and hope it will and we will be definitely in the upper half of the defensive rankings, but there is a niggling part of me that see's the potential for this to be a bit of a flop if it doesn't all go the right way.

18 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I havent read all 2 pages of this thread, so forgive me if i am just regurgitating what someone else may have already said.... but we are putting A LOT of faith / hope into Paye and Dayo being able to be key players on this line in order for this to be a good defence, nevermind a top 10 defence.

If they don't take the steps that we need them too, the Buckner and Ngakoue will have trouble getting to the QB and causing trouble at the LoS. That whole unit needs to hum, not just 2/4.

Put that alongside the lack of real depth at CB (Gilmore on one side, Rodgers on the other with Moore in the middle.... great)... but Gilmore not performing like we all hope and Rodgers thrust into a season long starter role and not being consistent are very real possible outcomes, which could all the more shine a light on Paye and Dayo not getting home if they arent what we all hope.

Personally I am more hopeful that it will pan out like we all think and hope it will and we will be definitely in the upper half of the defensive rankings, but there is a niggling part of me that see's the potential for this to be a bit of a flop if it doesn't all go the right way.

All good points.  

I think we have seen enough from Paye to know he will contribute at a high level.  I don’t think he is a consistent 10 sack guy but will have 6-8 and get pressures and hurries while able to stop the run. 

I’m not sold on Dayo. He needs a lot of coaching. I will have to look at our new DL coach to see how he is at developing players.  It’s been since after last draft that I have watched film on him but I remember him seeming raw and got pushed around a lot. It was like he wasn’t very strong and had trouble staying on his feet which caused him to miss tackles.  I feel he was drafted bc of his traits than his skill.  I haven’t specifically watched him as a Colt so maybe that’s changing. Guess we will see 

18 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Well, Paye WAS HIGHLY effective last season in Eberflus's passive system so he should be more effective in the new system. I'm trying to imagine what an Unleashed Grover will look like.  :rawr: 
 And not so fast assuming Rodgers starts over Facyson. And it is possible that Tell is capapable of being ready for it now. 

On 4/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, 07dleigh said:

Darius Leonard is going to EAT with the improvements around him. Cannot wait to watch him.

The 4-2 responsibilities of him needing to be disciplined inside to sto the run but be ready to cover space to the outside flats was limiting.
 He and Oke will be more often covering 1/3 of the field rather than 1/2.
 He can be more aggressive going forward, and that suits his game extremely well.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We did get Yannick = pass rush, and Henry isn't a spring chicken anymore. Roll with Tannehill that will get you nowhere. Colts will win the South and when they do I will be here to tell all the doubters I told you so. I put my predictions where my mouth is, most don't. Roll with Tennessee as some are and that is cool season 3 laughing GIF

Yannick played TN and Henry many times and Henry has always destroyed him and the Jags.  Henry is 28 and in his prime.  Old?  Sorry.  This is hopium for the board.  LV got rid of Yannick for a reason.  I have always thought he was overrated in Jax and everywhere else.  

Now if TN trades Brown I might say that would be a game changer.  

Archived