Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nyheim Hines

TheBlueAndWhite

Something that has absolutely got to change, his usage last year was  borderline criminal, I'm not sure what Frank was thinking last year, but I hope he understands that continuing to sit nyheim on the bench for the majority of the ball games, has hurt this team, and will continue to, if it isn't corrected.

That said, how would you utilize him, having Taylor in the backfield as the bell cow, Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Something that has absolutely got to change, his usage last year was  borderline criminal, I'm not sure what Frank was thinking last year, but I hope he understands that continuing to sit nyheim on the bench for the majority of the ball games, has hurt this team, and will continue to, if it isn't corrected.

That said, how would you utilize him, having Taylor in the backfield as the bell cow, Thoughts? 

It's more on carson 

He is not the checkdown type QB that philly rivers was 

Matt ryan will probably rejuvenate Niheem like he did with corduroy Patterson 

2 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Many of us have been clamoring for better utilization of Hines and to quit running him up the middle.  It seems the Colts are looking at that and at using him more in the slot, thank goodness!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/30/indianapolis-colts-nyheim-hines-slot-snaps-2022/

Hopefully that will come to fruition, might also help alleviate the sting of not having a proven WR outside of Pittman, although I still hope we can sign or draft one. 

1 minute ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Hines and JT will be utilized more in the passing game. Wentz has the field vision of a Stevie Wonder. JT and Hines were open a heck of a lot last year. Wentz would rather throw to a double covered Pittman though. Ryan will take those plays all day long.

I agree, I can see Hines having a huge year receiving.

13 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

I think Hines is a solid playmaker and I think it's important for our coaches to utilize our playmakers as best they can to create mismatches and give us advantages. This is especially important with guys like Hines if Ballard continues to ignore upgrading the WR/TE positions to give us a legitimate playmaker to help Pittman and more importantly Ryan (proven and consistent playmaker, not a cast of late round/undrafted guys who might have potential).

That said, I don't think Hines is at the level of Cordarelle Patterson as a playmaker. Furthermore, I think it is important to remember Hines has had some ball security issues.  I know he 'only' had 3 fumbles last year and lost 2 of them (and 2 of his fumbles came as punt returner), but for a guy who gets limited touches, he's got to eliminate any ball security issues, especially in critical situations. For example, against the Bucs we were down 28-24 in 4th Q and forced a punt which Hines muffed badly and gave the ball back to the Bucs with great field position, effectively allowing them to stick a dagger in us and put the game away.

Obviously, Rivers was also more effective using Hines (who I think is a poor man's Ekeler or Sproles who Rivers had success with in the past) than Wentz.   I imagine Ryan will be more effective than Wentz as well, but if we're expecting Hines to be contributing at an all-pro level, I think we'll be sorely disappointed as he's really a 3rd down type back/slot threat who can be used to create situational mismatches rather than an every down guy.

Finally, I think Hines will be most productive if we improve at WR and TE.  It appears as we will go into the season with Pittman as our clear cut #1 (he'd be a 2 or 3 on most teams), with major unknowns behind him (Patmon and Strachan have proven to be good for about 3 catches per year, Dulin maybe a couple catches every few games and Campbell hasn't done anything to suggest he's not a major injury liability).  At TE, MAC hasn't been a consistent producer over his career and Granson did nothing as a rookie to suggest he's going to be a special player (in all honesty, he was like a poor man's Burton).  I know everyone says Reich uses Hines too predictably, and I'm not disagreeing... but, it's a sad fact that we don't have a WR or TE on this team who really drives fear into an opponent (maybe Pittman, but like I said I think he'd be a 2 or 3 on most teams).  If we had legit (again, proven and consistent, not guys who may have potential) playmakers outside of Taylor On this offense, Reich would have a much easier job of finding mismatches for Hines.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That might be why Ballard isn't panicking about getting Matt another WR as of now. Hines is a dangerous weapon if used properly.

Use split backs with Hines and Taylor. Add a wide out or two in the draft and we're fine. I think people are overreacting a bit.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That might be why Ballard isn't panicking about getting Matt another WR as of now. Hines is a dangerous weapon if used properly.

I really believe that was what the "make the layups" comment was about. Hines and Taylor were so wide open. Even if it's 3rd and 10, you gotta believe Taylor and Hines make the first man miss and pickup the first over the middle. 

2 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I really believe that was what the "make the layups" comment was about. Hines and Taylor were so wide open. Even if it's 3rd and 10, you gotta believe Taylor and Hines make the first man miss and pickup the first over the middle. 

Yeah the one thing we have is deadly RB's who can catch even so that is huge.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the one thing we have is deadly RB's who can catch even so that is huge.

That's what I found myself yelling at the TV this past season. Just angry that Wentz refused the check down. Yards are hard to come by in the NFL and we left so many yards on the field because of that. Especially on second down. At times I forgot Hines was on the team unless they were running him up the gut. :facepalm:

17 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Matt Ryan utilizes his running backs a lot in the pass game I think we will see his utilization go up significantly.

16 hours ago, Alex22 said:

It's more on carson 

He is not the checkdown type QB that philly rivers was 

Matt ryan will probably rejuvenate Niheem like he did with corduroy Patterson 

It's hard to check down to a guy thats on the bench.... haha. But Wentz is everybody's scapegoat.

5 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Hines may breakout this year. Dude is absolutely electric in space.

Hines < Taylor in space. You just can’t take the ball out of his hands so they need to come up with more 2 back formation etc..

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because he plays the most important position in all of sports.   That’s why he’s our former quarterback. 

Like I have said. The most glaring concern for me bout Wentz, and I was huge on signing him, was his regression. How do u play well at the  beginning of the year with a struggling running game and injury depleted Oline and then struggle wehn the running game and Oline gets healthy???? That was so bizarre to me. To his defence, I do think he went  back to his old habits when he got hit so much early in the season. He might have also thought that he stood up to the pounding at the beginning of the season and now it was time to play hero ball. It was just so odd to me and I think that's what p...ed Irsay off. He had everything to be successful if he would have just listened. It must have been so frustrating for Frank.

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Hines is a solid playmaker and I think it's important for our coaches to utilize our playmakers as best they can to create mismatches and give us advantages. This is especially important with guys like Hines if Ballard continues to ignore upgrading the WR/TE positions to give us a legitimate playmaker to help Pittman and more importantly Ryan (proven and consistent playmaker, not a cast of late round/undrafted guys who might have potential).

That said, I don't think Hines is at the level of Cordarelle Patterson as a playmaker. Furthermore, I think it is important to remember Hines has had some ball security issues.  I know he 'only' had 3 fumbles last year and lost 2 of them (and 2 of his fumbles came as punt returner), but for a guy who gets limited touches, he's got to eliminate any ball security issues, especially in critical situations. For example, against the Bucs we were down 28-24 in 4th Q and forced a punt which Hines muffed badly and gave the ball back to the Bucs with great field position, effectively allowing them to stick a dagger in us and put the game away.

Obviously, Rivers was also more effective using Hines (who I think is a poor man's Ekeler or Sproles who Rivers had success with in the past) than Wentz.   I imagine Ryan will be more effective than Wentz as well, but if we're expecting Hines to be contributing at an all-pro level, I think we'll be sorely disappointed as he's really a 3rd down type back/slot threat who can be used to create situational mismatches rather than an every down guy.

Finally, I think Hines will be most productive if we improve at WR and TE.  It appears as we will go into the season with Pittman as our clear cut #1 (he'd be a 2 or 3 on most teams), with major unknowns behind him (Patmon and Strachan have proven to be good for about 3 catches per year, Dulin maybe a couple catches every few games and Campbell hasn't done anything to suggest he's not a major injury liability).  At TE, MAC hasn't been a consistent producer over his career and Granson did nothing as a rookie to suggest he's going to be a special player (in all honesty, he was like a poor man's Burton).  I know everyone says Reich uses Hines too predictably, and I'm not disagreeing... but, it's a sad fact that we don't have a WR or TE on this team who really drives fear into an opponent (maybe Pittman, but like I said I think he'd be a 2 or 3 on most teams).  If we had legit (again, proven and consistent, not guys who may have potential) playmakers outside of Taylor On this offense, Reich would have a much easier job of finding mismatches for Hines. 

Could not have said it better; excellent recap of the situation. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When you are the QB with 2 chances to clinch a playoff spot against teams you are better than, it comes with the territory.

I'm Definitely not a fan of Wentz and glad he's gone but the lost to Jax wasn't on him. It was totally a team effort ( actually lack of effort) including the coaches and the Defense which many are excited about. 

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm Definitely not a fan of Wentz and glad he's gone but the lost to Jax wasn't on him. It was totally a team effort ( actually lack of effort) including the coaches and the Defense which many are excited about. 

4.4 QBR and we lost to the Raiders too when he had TY wide open.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

4.4 QBR and we lost to the Raiders too when he had TY wide open.

Yeah Wentz wasn't a accurate passer and not very good.... And he's gone but he wasn't the reason the team got killed by the worst team in the league in a win and your in game.

31 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah Wentz wasn't a accurate passer and not very good.... And he's gone but he wasn't the reason the team got killed by the worst team in the league in a win and your in game.

Ohhhh, if a few good hands intentionally layed down because of him.

51 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He was part of it for sure but not "the" reason. You're right that it was a bad team effort. 

But tbh I think that loss was the best thing that could've happened to us longer term because Wentz was not the answer at QB and no way are we sniffing the SB with him. If Wentz had played well and we got in the playoffs, even if we lost the first game, the organization would have held hope that he was the answer at QB and delayed the inevitable conclusion that that wasn't true. 

4 minutes ago, jonjon said:

He was part of it for sure but not "the" reason. You're right that it was a bad team effort. 

But tbh I think that loss was the best thing that could've happened to us longer term because Wentz was not the answer at QB and no way are we sniffing the SB with him. If Wentz had played well and we got in the playoffs, even if we lost the first game, the organization would have held hope that he was the answer at QB and delayed the inevitable conclusion that that wasn't true. 

That loss to the Jags was the best thing that happened to us easily looking at it now because with Wentz we weren't winning a SB. We corrected a huge mistake early. I could see Matt Ryan holding the trophy up. A player like Wentz, Mariota. Trubisky, or Tannehill I just can't, or even a Hurts or Mac Jones for example I can't either.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I keep hearing people blame the coaching in the last game.  On the Hard Knocks final episode you see the coaching staff constantly telling the players do not overlook the Jags.  This will be their Superbowl if the beat us.  I put the blame on the players for not paying attention.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Thats good that Ryan can utilize rb's in the pass game because of the lack of talent of the WR's & TE's. 

I still have hope that they bring in a Vet, Jarvis, Julio , Fuller are all still available. I truly believe they will also go WR with the first pick.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Hopefully that will come to fruition, might also help alleviate the sting of not having a proven WR outside of Pittman, although I still hope we can sign or draft one. 

I agree.  He seems to have what it takes to run the slot.  Hopefully, that is the case.  If he is an NFL better than average slot, then I definitely feel better about our pass catchers.  Right now I think we are bottom feeders at TE and WR. 

11 hours ago, Farns01 said:

I keep hearing people blame the coaching in the last game.  On the Hard Knocks final episode you see the coaching staff constantly telling the players do not overlook the Jags.  This will be their Superbowl if the beat us.  I put the blame on the players for not paying attention.

The Oline was just manhandled.  They were from about Q2 on at home too.  We didn't match up well with their front 4 for whatever reason.

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I still have hope that they bring in a Vet, Jarvis, Julio , Fuller are all still available. I truly believe they will also go WR with the first pick.

Just my guess, I think they trade back( if they can) and get some additional picks to help address the needs since they weren't addressed in FA....WR for sure should be one of them. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, TheBlueAndWhite said:

I think according to reports Frank wanted Hines utilized but wentz declined to do it.

I guarantee Ryan will have Hines out there looking like his old self.  Predicting 400 rushing yards and 700 receiving yards

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

I think according to reports Frank wanted Hines utilized but wentz declined to do it.

That is still on Reich.  If he cannot control his players, that is a big fault.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is still on Reich.  If he cannot control his players, that is a big fault.  

It is kind of tough to look good as a play caller when you have Wentz or Brissett at QB. Like I mentioned before when Reich had Luck and Rivers he looked good. How did Vrable look against Cincy? They were the #1 seed and had a loaded team and lost to Cincy as 6 point favorites at home. You bash Reich but fail to see other coaches make the same mistakes at times. Give Reich a good QB and he will be fine as proven with Luck and Rivers. He went 7-7 with JB (games JB started and finished) who is basically a backup, we were 9-6 last year with Wentz until Wentz took a big dump.

Archived