Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All the Reich, media, and FO Fan Police jobs seemed to be already filled. 

you'll have to raise your bar a bit. try offensive or defensive coordinator. I heard Reich does love his stats. 

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

you'll have to raise your bar a bit. try offensive or defensive coordinator. I heard Reich does love his stats. 

I heard that too. Wonder why he loses track of his rushing attempts during the game. I think maybe Q loves stats more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yep. People say Reich is on the hot seat but these two positions could cost him. We are kind of lacking depth on the Dline. He is the one that makes those decisions. Both are kind of on the hot seat. I think with Ryan though we will have a great season so they will be fine.

Lacking depth on the DL?  Seriously?  Paye, Stewart, Defo, Ngakoue, Lewis, Dayo, Johnson, Cincy DT?  That's not bad.... Plus a guy or two they like that I forgot 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, cjrulli said:

To me, many fans have a misconception that the teams that make these runs in the playoffs don’t have weaknesses or are significantly better than our roster. Sure the teams are built different than Indy and I think that’s what gets to some fans. They see a specific strategy working well for a few years and it becomes easy to assume you can’t win another way. I just don’t follow that line of thinking, I think there are a couple of different ways to make a run and I think Indy is down one of those paths. Strong defensive play with high turnovers, efficient spread offense with a featured run game.

....but the Teams that have weaknesses/depth issues and still WIN BIG make up for it by having Elite Players at key positions/Game changers. 

Examples, Stafford & Kupp, Burrow & Chase, Brady & Gronk, Rogers & the WR they traded away....plus of course supporting cast of weapons/playmakers. And some playmaking pass rushers. 

The colts best players on offense are a elite RB, a Guard, Pittman who is not on the level of others at his position around the league, and a near 40 year old QB. The teams that will rise to the top in the AFC definitely look on paper that they have the 'advantage' over us if they need a quick strike or in a  high scoring game. 

Our strength is probably our Defense, but unfortunately we're playing in a league that favors offense & offensive playmakers and that is the disadvantage we will be facing when/if we get into playoff football.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, cjrulli said:

To me, many fans have a misconception that the teams that make these runs in the playoffs don’t have weaknesses or are significantly better than our roster. Sure the teams are built different than Indy and I think that’s what gets to some fans. They see a specific strategy working well for a few years and it becomes easy to assume you can’t win another way. I just don’t follow that line of thinking, I think there are a couple of different ways to make a run and I think Indy is down one of those paths. Strong defensive play with high turnovers, efficient spread offense with a featured run game.

Well said. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

....maybe not?

If the colts start off well and string some wins together we'll see plenty of "resurfacing" Fan Police. haha

I meant they are still around lol. We already know who fills the jobs, and certainly expect the chirping when things go good. I expect things to go good. SoS is weak, and the roster is pretty good. If we step on our ducks, our issues won't be talent. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jackie Daytona said:

Lacking depth on the DL?  Seriously?  Paye, Stewart, Defo, Ngakoue, Lewis, Dayo, Johnson, Cincy DT?  That's not bad.... Plus a guy or two they like that I forgot 

We so far  lack talent on the D line. Having a bunch of guys doesn't mean u have depth if they are mostly garbage. I do expect the D line to improve with this new scheme. If they don't, then we know  they are not that talented and that's on Ballard, as this scheme seems to suit each players skill set.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We so far  lack talent on the D line. Having a bunch of guys doesn't mean u have depth if they are mostly garbage. I do expect the D line to improve with this new scheme. If they don't, then we know  they are not that talented and that's on Ballard, as this scheme seems to suit each players skill set.

For whatever it’s worth,  ESPN just named our DL group the strongest group on the team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well ESPN is gospel so it must be true.

This comes from people who cover pro football for a living, and not fans posting in a web page.    But beyond that,  even if you think they’re wrong, and it’s not our strongest position group, they’re clearly a strength, which is a much much better review than yours. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This comes from people who cover pro football for a living, and not fans posting in a web page.    But beyond that,  even if you think they’re wrong, and it’s not our strongest position group, they’re clearly a strength, which is a much much better review than yours. 

On paper, they should be our strongest, but results r what matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

On paper, they should be our strongest, but results r what matter. 

You continue to look backward and refuse to recognize that young players get better.   The DL is loaded with young players.   Paye, Dayo,  Lewis,  Johnson, Brooks, etc. 

They should get better, especially with this new defense. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You continue to look backward and refuse to recognize that young players get better.   The DL is loaded with young players.   Paye, Dayo,  Lewis,  Johnson, Brooks, etc. 

Look at my posts. I predicted that the D line is going to take a huge leap because   of the scheme and their individual traits. However until  that happens its just a prediction and not based at all on what they have achieved. It's just a feeling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Look at my posts. I predicted that the D line is going to take a huge leap because   of the scheme and their individual traits. However until  that happens its just a prediction and not based at all on what they have achieved. It's just a feeling.

The first line of your post that I responded to…..     “We so far lack talent on the DL.”

Perhaps if you had said PROVEN TALENT, I might not have responded.   We do not lack talent.   We do lack proven talent.   Big difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Read my other posts. I expect the Colts to make noise based on their current rosterHowever until they do anything it is all conjecture. Young players can get better and/or simply not move the needle. Also, older players can regress.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Read my other posts. I expect the Colts to make noise based on their current rosterHowever until they do anything it is all conjecture. Young players can get better and/or simply not move the needle. Also, older players can regress.

It’s conjecture for fans, and to a lesser extent, to informed media.    But for the coaching staff, scouts and front office types, if those people don’t know, then no one does.   

Part of my defense of this regime is that they’ve had enough success to earn my trust.   So if they’re NOT making a move then there’s likely a good reason.   They have faith in the unproven kids.   They’ve shown enough to give the coaches and staff confidence that the kids will deliver when the season unfolds. 

As for older players….  We have almost none. We’re one of the youngest teams in the NFL.   And the few older players don’t have to get better.   They just need to be who they are. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s conjecture for fans, and to a lesser extent, to informed media.    But for the coaching staff, scouts and front office types, if those people don’t know, then no one does.   

Part of my defense of this regime is that they’ve had enough success to earn my trust.   So if they’re NOT making a move then there’s likely a good reason.   They have faith in the unproven kids.   They’ve shown enough to give the coaches and staff confidence that the kids will deliver when the season unfolds. 

As for older players….  We have almost none. We’re one of the youngest teams in the NFL.   And the few older players don’t have to get better.   They just need to be who they are. 

Buckner. DT's  can hit a wall fast. Kelly. He is sliding big time. Nelson. Injuries last year have me worried. Leonard. Enough said. When it is all said and done, I don't have tons of faith in Ballard. Playoffs once under his watch. This off season was great, but I believe Irsay had a lot of input as to how it all broke down. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Buckner. DT's  can hit a wall fast. Kelly. He is sliding big time. Nelson. Injuries last year have me worried. Leonard. Enough said. When it is all said and done, I don't have tons of faith in Ballard. Playoffs once under his watch. This off season was great, but I believe Irsay had a lot of input as to how it all broke down. 

If anything, Buckner is poised to do even better in the new scheme. Not sure why anyone would think he's poised to hit a wall.

Nelson had a ton of stuff go wrong last season, and still only gave up 1 sack. He's 100% per reporting.

Leonard, even hurt, was incredible last season. I imagine he'll be better if the back surgery helps the ankle issue. Even if it doesn't, he showed last year what he could do even if limited. We'll see. 

Yes, Kelly has slid since extending. Pinter is there is he continues to slide. 

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And none of those guys are 30.   None of them.   If any have fallen off there are reasons, typically ranging from injuries like Nelson and Kelly to Buckner being the only real threat last year so he got doubled all the time.  There is usually a good explanation when good players fall off unexpectedly. 

And if you’re not impressed with Ballard then I don’t know what to tell you?   It’s a stunning admission by you.    He’s done extra ordinary work under enormously difficult circumstances.   He’s widely regarded as one of the best in the business. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And if you’re not impressed with Ballard then I don’t know what to tell you?   It’s a stunning admission by you.    He’s done extra ordinary work under enormously difficult circumstances.   He’s widely regarded as one of the best in the business. 

If one chooses, they can use many analyses, points of logic, and comparisons to question the validity of every single G.M. both past and present. Every.....single....one.

I guess it comes down to each fans reason for participation on this site. I am here solely to share positive vibes about the team I have followed for 50 years+. 

I am not here to demand change, nor to point out flaws to justify my precious dedication as a fan, or to display my amazing knowledge as a couch G.M.

I love rooting for the team, believing regardless of the outlook or indicated future, and feeling joy about every season. It's wicked fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Four2itus said:

If one chooses, they can use many analyses, points of logic, and comparisons to question the validity of every single G.M. both past and present. Every.....single....one.

I guess it comes down to each fans reason for participation on this site. I am here solely to share positive vibes about the team I have followed for 50 years+. 

I am not here to demand change, nor to point out flaws to justify my precious dedication as a fan, or to display my amazing knowledge as a couch G.M.

I love rooting for the team, believing regardless of the outlook or indicated future, and feeling joy about every season. It's wicked fun!

In terms of the GMs...., just like HCs, QBs, etc., right or wrong, most are judged long term on SBs, playoffs, and to a lesser extent, division titles. Like I've said, I like Ballard. He's not perfect, and I don't worship, but he's done far more good than bad IMO. But that simply needs to translate soon. The buck stops with him, and Irsay as an owner. 

In terms of fans.... takes all kinds. If you only had sunshine types, the board would be a pretty boring place if there was even a board. Even some of the most winningest teams (like the Tide) who should pump more sunshine than anything else, don't... Again, takes all kinds. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ballard might be GM of the year this season.  Just the difference in last year to this year, looking at the roster design.  You could probably count on one hand the guys who had as good an offseason.

All three major acquisitions he brought in have profoundly affected this team in a positive direction.  I realize the games still have to be played.  But look at the way things have gone thus far in camp and I don't think it is unrealistic to expect significant impact from all of them.  One of those is a QB whose experience is enormously valuable to this team at this moment.  The corner looks to be back on top of his game.  And Ngakoue also is going to add leadership.

Looking at the draft picks so far so good as well.  Long way to go, can't get stupid about picks in the early going when it takes a few years to really know.  But I do like Pierce's chances I'll tell you that.  And I know I'm not alone.

I admit I have concerns, like the DC hire and whether Ryan will have enough weapons to elevate this team.  But everything I've heard from Gus Bradley has been on point with the right tone and it sounds like the defense is responding to him.  So for me right now I'm feeling real good about this team and season.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, Boondoggle said:

I admit I have concerns, like the DC hire and whether Ryan will have enough weapons to elevate this team.  But everything I've heard from Gus Bradley has been on point with the right tone and it sounds like the defense is responding to him.  So for me right now I'm feeling real good about this team and season.

My concerns are primarily with the O-line and D-line coordinators. Try choreographing a battle scene in a ballet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jackie Daytona said:

Depth does not always equate talent.  Buckner is proven. Yannick is a proven pass rusher and severely lacking in run mm defense. The rest r just high picks.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 10:56 PM, EastStreet said:

If anything, Buckner is poised to do even better in the new scheme. Not sure why anyone would think he's poised to hit a wall.

Nelson had a ton of stuff go wrong last season, and still only gave up 1 sack. He's 100% per reporting.

Leonard, even hurt, was incredible last season. I imagine he'll be better if the back surgery helps the ankle issue. Even if it doesn't, he showed last year what he could do even if limited. We'll see. 

Yes, Kelly has slid since extending. Pinter is there is he continues to slide. 

People keep forgetting Kelly lost his daughter last season. I’m sure that had something to do with him “sliding” last season. 

On 7/24/2022 at 10:24 PM, DEFENSE said:

about to start another season without ballard getting us some game changing elite receivers

i think pierce will have an above average season at worse. he may not catch 12-15 touchdowns but most elite recievers wont either. plus matt ryan should give all our recievers a good boost. im really looking forward to this year, and wouldnt be surprised if we finish #1 seed in afc.

• Like 1

Since this is the proper thread for grievances...

All this talk about Ehlinger being a gadget player or even having him as the QB2 just reminds how Ballard passed on Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder in this past draft when the cost was just a 3rd round pick.

Especially when the only young QB on this team is a poor man's version of those players (Ehlinger).

I will never agree with the choice to not draft one of those two players in the 3rd round. That is all.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

And none of those guys are 30.   None of them.   If any have fallen off there are reasons, typically ranging from injuries like Nelson and Kelly to Buckner being the only real threat last year so he got doubled all the time.  There is usually a good explanation when good players fall off unexpectedly. 

Done what extra ordinary work  under what circumstances? Please. Luck retired what 4 years ago. He has more than enough time to get his franchise qb. Oh , I assume u were talking about his get year after year Luck pass,?

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Done what extra ordinary work  under what circumstances? Please. Luck retired what 4 years ago. He has more than enough time to get his franchise qb. Oh , I assume u were talking about his get year after year Luck pass,?

Seriously?

You think it’s easy to pick up a franchise level quarterback?    Just go down to the local Franchise Quarterbacks R US store and pick one up? 

There are 32 starting QBs.   In any given year there might be 10 to 12 really high level quarterbacks that a team might feel great about.  Someone who might be your guy for 10-12 years.   That’s it.

The rest of the teams hope they have someone who is good enough, but they may not be entirely convinced.  Cousins?  Tannehill?   Carr?   The rest just have guys.   

Finding a Franchise Level Quarterback is the hardest thing in all sports because there are are so few.  

Finally….  why do you think 4 years is enough?   Miami has gone over two decades looking for the guy to replace Marino, Denver has taken more than two decades to replace John Elway.    How long has Chicago gone to replace Jim McMahon or Detroit finding any decent Franchise QB?   And Houston?   How many examples do you need? 

And why do you count 2019?   Luck retires two-three weeks before the start of the season and you count that as a Ballard fail?Amazing.   For what it’s worth, at Irsay’s Training Camp Presser he called Ballard THE BEST GM in football.  Then added, if he’s not, he’s on the very short list.   And you wonder why we see so much so different?   

Speaking of which….   Weren’t you asking me about paying Jonathan Taylor more than Quenton Nelson?   Ball in your court. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

You think it’s easy to pick up a franchise level quarterback?    Just go down to the local Franchise Quarterbacks R US store and pick one up? 

There are 32 starting QBs.   In any given year there might be 10 to 12 really high level quarterbacks that a team might feel great about.  Someone who might be your guy for 10-12 years.   That’s it.

The rest of the teams hope they have someone who is good enough, but they may not be entirely convinced.  Cousins?  Tannehill?   Carr?   The rest just have guys.   

Finding a Franchise Level Quarterback is the hardest thing in all sports because there are are so few.  

Finally….  why do you think 4 years is enough?   Miami has gone over two decades looking for the guy to replace Marino, Denver has taken more than two decades to replace John Elway.    How long has Chicago gone to replace Jim McMahon or Detroit finding any decent Franchise QB?   And Houston?   How many examples do you need? 

And why do you count 2019?   Luck retires two-three weeks before the start of the season and you count that as a Ballard fail?Amazing.   For what it’s worth, at Irsay’s Training Camp Presser he called Ballard THE BEST GM in football.  Then added, if he’s not, he’s on the very short list.   And you wonder why we see so much so different?   

Speaking of which….   Weren’t you asking me about paying Jonathan Taylor more than Quenton Nelson?   Ball in your court. 

Of course it is not easy but he hasn't tried. Irsay called Ballard the best GM. Well there u go. I live Jim but he says a lot of silly things

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Of course it is not easy but he hasn't tried. Irsay called Ballard the best GM. Well there u go. I live Jim but he says a lot of silly things

He hasn’t tried?  

First….   How do you know?   Do you know what calls we made?   No.   Do you know what offers we’ve made?   No.   And we traded a 1 and a 3 for Wentz hoping he’d be our guy for the next 8-10 years.   

Haven’t tried?    That’s your opinion, not supported by any facts.   

As for Irsay and Ballard….   Jim has done more than talk a good game.  A year ago he extended Ballard out to 6 years under contract.   Irsay puts his money where his mouth is.   

As to your opinion, that’s what it is, your opinion.  And while you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want,  yours is the minority view.  Not just here, but everywhere.  He’s already been named GM of the year, and he’s annually among the top rated GMs by people who do this for a living…. NFL.com, ESPN, PFF…    

• Like 2