Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He hasn’t tried?  

First….   How do you know?   Do you know what calls we made?   No.   Do you know what offers we’ve made?   No.   And we traded a 1 and a 3 for Wentz hoping he’d be our guy for the next 8-10 years.   

Haven’t tried?    That’s your opinion, not supported by any facts.   

As for Irsay and Ballard….   Jim has done more than talk a good game.  A year ago he extended Ballard out to 6 years under contract.   Irsay puts his money where his mouth is.   

As to your opinion, that’s what it is, your opinion.  And while you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want,  yours is the minority view.  Not just here, but everywhere.  He’s already been named GM of the year, and he’s annually among the top rated GMs by people who do this for a living…. NFL.com, ESPN, PFF…    

I think what he means by "hasn't tried" is that he hasn't gone all out for one.  Hasn't shot the moon for one, even if he missed.

Example:  49ers traded three 1st round picks for Trey Lance.  Will it pay off?  Dunno.  But they "tried".

So, yeah, by that definition, Ballard hasn't "tried".  He hasn't traded a bunch of picks to move up and grab a guy.

I think we're confusing complacency with wisdom.  Who out there was worth that kind of gamble?  And at what price?  To cross your fingers that your "guy" is The One, while you don't have anything else on the rest of the team?

I'll take wisdom, thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think what he means by "hasn't tried" is that he hasn't gone all out for one.  Hasn't shot the moon for one, even if he missed.

Example:  49ers traded three 1st round picks for Trey Lance.  Will it pay off?  Dunno.  But they "tried".

So, yeah, by that definition, Ballard hasn't "tried".  He hasn't traded a bunch of picks to move up and grab a guy.

I think we're confusing complacency with wisdom.  Who out there was worth that kind of gamble?  And at what price?  To cross your fingers that your "guy" is The One, while you don't have anything else on the rest of the team?

I'll take wisdom, thanks.

Who’s been complacent?   Ballard?    A new QB every year he’s been GM is being complacent?    Or am I not understanding you?    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who’s been complacent?   Ballard?    A new QB every year he’s been GM is being complacent?    Or am I not understanding you?    

I think what a lot of people in here don't take into place is, we are in win now mode. If you ask anyone in here would you rather have Matt Ryan or Trey Lance just for 2022, they would say Matt. Also, I am like you as in how do some know that Ballard hasn't tried??

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

LOL, sorry for the confusion.  I'm saying that Ballard has been approaching these issues with Wisdom.  Rather than sitting on his hands not choosing one.  Which I called Complacency, but Negligence would be a better word.

In other words, Ballard's not going after a quarterback at the expense of all else is a Good Thing.  It's Wisdom, not Negligence.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

LOL, sorry for the confusion.  I'm saying that Ballard has been approaching these issues with Wisdom.  Rather than sitting on his hands not choosing one.  Which I called Complacency, but Negligence would be a better word.

In other words, Ballard's not going after a quarterback at the expense of all else is a Good Thing.  It's Wisdom, not Negligence.

Thank you!     1000 percent!   

Appreciate you taking the time to explain your position.   I’m sure your post will be my favorite for today!!     Not sure why others don’t understand this?    Can’t thank you enough!!   :thmup:

:colts:

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think what a lot of people in here don't take into place is, we are in win now mode. If you ask anyone in here would you rather have Matt Ryan or Trey Lance just for 2022, they would say Matt. Also, I am like you as in how do some know that Ballard hasn't tried??

Yes, thanks!   We are trying to win NOW!!   Irsay and Ballard and Frank are trying to win now.   They were in 2019 and 2020 and 2021 and here again in 2022 and next year as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:15 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

Done what extra ordinary work  under what circumstances? Please. Luck retired what 4 years ago. He has more than enough time to get his franchise qb. Oh , I assume u were talking about his get year after year Luck pass,?

I think it's more of a nuanced debate when judging his work as GM because there have definitely been very good things. But I think we can all agree that team success hasn't exactly been extraordinary to date.

I just don't really agree with the idea that Ballard has been at some great disadvantage. Other than QB, he's had just about everything a GM would need to be successful (salary cap in good shape, lots of draft capital, patient boss, grateful fans, supportive local media, etc.). And solving QB long-term is a challenge that nearly all GMs must face...it's typically part of the job description. So the loss of having an advantage (Luck) is not really a disadvantage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He hasn’t tried?  

First….   How do you know?   Do you know what calls we made?   No.   Do you know what offers we’ve made?   No.   And we traded a 1 and a 3 for Wentz hoping he’d be our guy for the next 8-10 years.   

As for Irsay and Ballard….   Jim has done more than talk a good game.  A year ago he extended Ballard out to 6 years under contract.   Irsay puts his money where his mouth is.   

As to your opinion, that’s what it is, your opinion.  And while you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want,  yours is the minority view.  Not just here, but everywhere.  He’s already been named GM of the year, and he’s annually among the top rated GMs by people who do this for a living…. NFL.com, ESPN, PFF…    

He hasn’t tried?  

K...Maybe he has tried but the point is that he hasn't been successful in getting a young qb to even try and be that franchise guy. Other teams have done it since Luck's retirement. You can not tell me since Luck's retirement he couldnt have put forth a deal to move up and get that guy? Oh right, they weren't worth it based on Ballard's scouting. Please list the qbs taken in the 1st round since Luck's retirement? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He hasn’t tried?  

What's the Colt's record under Ballard? How many play off appearances. In the end that is how you are judged. 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What's the Colt's record under Ballard? How many play off appearances. In the end that is how you are judged. 

We’re 37-28.    Not counting the 2017 season when Ballard didn’t have his QB, his HC,  his coaching staff, the systems he wants run, or his front office setup.   

Look what happened in 2018 when he had all that in place:  4-12 became 10-6 and a playoff win in one season’s time.    That’s why Irsay has extended Ballard as he did.  

As to acquiring a young franchise quarterback, I’ll address that in another post later tonight.   But I don’t think you’ll agree with the known facts. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re 37-28.    Not counting the 2017 season when Ballard didn’t have his QB, his HC,  his coaching staff, the systems he wants run, or his front office setup.   

Look what happened in 2018 when he had all that in place:  4-12 became 10-6 and a playoff win in one season’s time.    That’s why Irsay has extended Ballard as he did.  

As to acquiring a young franchise quarterback, I’ll address that in another post later tonight.   But I don’t think you’ll agree with the known facts. 

Play off wins??

• Like 1

I’m just gonna say this.

im a firm believer that history repeats. 

what we are seeing with the Colts right now is a repeat of what the Chiefs and even the Patriots before them were going thru. We have a solid team, decent coaching staff and really are a big play QB and a WR combo away. Will we hit on one soon? Who knows, but I’m much happier with Ballard than I was with Grigson AND even Polian those last couple of years. 

i think Ballard can get us to where we all want, but he’s gonna build a foundation that lets us stay there for a while too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And how do judge success in the NFL? 

#1 Drafting and maintaining a roster that displays high character, drive, and perseverance.

#2 Assembling a staff that is very good at development so that the G.M. has to use FA as a fill in only.

#3 Forming a team that is competitive perpetually. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

#1 Drafting and maintaining a roster that displays high character, drive, and perseverance.

#2 Assembling a staff that is very good at development so that the G.M. has to use FA as a fill in only.

1) Agree partially. Not a bad thing to have a couple of divas as long as they have all pro talent. U talk about character and the Colts always talk about it. Where was that so called character in the last 2 games?

2) Cannot develop talent if your scouts and GM don't get u the right players. Ballard has drafted Dlinen and most of them look like wasted picks. We shall see this year whether is was talent or scheme as to why these D linemen have under whelmed.

3) Yes, they are competitive. The big issue is these slow starts to the season they are having. It makes them play catch up the rest of the season.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 6:55 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

You continue to ignore the fact that Ballard was building a team with a young franchise qb.    Had Andrew decided to continue playing the teams record would obviously be better.    Ballard's pears in the industry have praised him for his talent evaluation.    But keep being you.    Q and Leonard will probably be all pros again this year

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

1) Agree partially. Not a bad thing to have a couple of divas as long as they have all pro talent. U talk about character and the Colts always talk about it. Where was that so called character in the last 2 games?

2) Cannot develop talent if your scouts and GM don't get u the right players. Ballard has drafted Dlinen and most of them look like wasted picks. We shall see this year whether is was talent or scheme as to why these D linemen have under whelmed.

3) Yes, they are competitive. The big issue is these slow starts to the season they are having. It makes them play catch up the rest of the season.

1) You and I seem have to see character in a different light. So be it. Also, diva's create an unbalanced locker room when it comes to the locker room bond. It is a bad thing. It is the sole reason the Cowboys will never return to greatness with Jones. He likes rock star players. Most...are divas. 

2) Feel free to point your finger at what you call wasted picks. I'll wait and see. It's what you do.

3)True.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

1) You and I seem have to see character in a different light. So be it. Also, diva's create an unbalanced locker room when it comes to the locker room bond. It is a bad thing. It is the sole reason the Cowboys will never return to greatness with Jones. He likes rock star players. Most...are divas. 

2) Feel free to point your finger at what you call wasted picks. I'll wait and see. It's what you do.

3)True.

1) Dallas doesn't lose because it has divas players. They don't excel because every player is over rated by the media. They are over hyped. Perfect example is Parsons. Yes , he gets sacks but I called against the niners. He got run over and was pulled. Go down the list and every player is mostly a name.

2) I never said the full of divas

Great teams had their share of divas and hard to coach players. Great coaches make it work.

• Like 1

The fact the Colts never feel apart after Luck retired is a testament to the job Ballard has done assembling talent for this roster.  That’s the type of thing that can put a team picking in the top of the draft for a few years.  With that said, Ballard now has to take this team to the next step.  Irsay seems to be giving him a do over for last year and put most of the blame on Wentz.  However, if this team struggles this year Ballard and Reich’s seats are going to get very warm.  Irsay is a patient person but he does expect results and I’d agree Ballard is past the time he can use the Luck retired excuse (not that I think he ever did I just think Irsay was smart enough to understand what that meant for the franchise).  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fact the Colts never feel apart after Luck retired is a testament to the job Ballard has done assembling talent for this roster.  That’s the type of thing that can put a team picking in the top of the draft for a few years.  With that said, Ballard now has to take this team to the next step.  Irsay seems to be giving him a do over for last year and put most of the blame on Wentz.  However, if this team struggles this year Ballard and Reich’s seats are going to get very warm.  Irsay is a patient person but he does expect results and I’d agree Ballard is past the time he can use the Luck retired excuse (not that I think he ever did I just think Irsay was smart enough to understand what that meant for the franchise).  

Would it have been better to fall apart though? I really don’t know the answer to that but have seen a lot of people mention that might of been better so we got a QB. Especially with the couple good QB drafts after luck retired.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Would it have been better to fall apart though? I really don’t know the answer to that but have seen a lot of people mention that might of been better so we got a QB. Especially with the couple good QB drafts after luck retired.

Then maybe you have the QB but you don’t have the other talent to go with him.  Like most what ifs it could have gone either way and like you said we don’t know.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then maybe you have the QB but you don’t have the other talent to go with him.  Like most what ifs it could have gone either way and like you said we don’t know.

Well at that point maybe it’s time to rebuild. I know there is really not a right  or wrong answer to this. It’s very tricky. 

On 8/30/2022 at 12:15 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

Done what extra ordinary work  under what circumstances? Please. Luck retired what 4 years ago. He has more than enough time to get his franchise qb. Oh , I assume u were talking about his get year after year Luck pass,?

ballards bumbling moves in the draft and trades have kept us from trading into the top 5 to get a top qb prospect. he always covets  more lower round picks instead of top 5 picks

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:02 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, thanks!   We are trying to win NOW!!   Irsay and Ballard and Frank are trying to win now.   They were in 2019 and 2020 and 2021 and here again in 2022 and next year as well. 

And how is that working for us? As I have said several times, I think there is a lot of arrogance with regards to his own drafting.  He always thinks we are a player away. Yet based on today's results one questions if we  should not be in full rebuild mode.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, Four2itus said:

Regarding #1 -That is certainly the foundation.

I would add that how and where you are filling out your roster is critical.

To clarify, I would say you would want to draft your long term QB, LT, DE, CB, WR and “Fill in” in your roster at other positions where needed.

The Colts have put themselves in a position where they are “Filling In” most of these critical positions via trades or free agency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And how is that working for us? As I have said several times, I think there is a lot of arrogance with regards to his own drafting.  He always thinks we are a player away. Yet based on today's results one questions if we  should not be in full rebuild mode.

I don’t think the Colts are in full rebuild mode, because there is talent on the team. Enough talent to go to a conference championship or SB? Absolutely, not.

The obvious problem is where the talent lies and doesn’t. That’s on one person and one person only. Ballard.

The million dollar question, is how much longer do you give the guy, it’s year 6 of what was a “rebuild” when he took over from Grigson. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think the Colts are in full rebuild mode, because there is talent on the team. Enough talent to go to a conference championship or SB? Absolutely, not.

The obvious problem is where the talent lies and doesn’t. That’s on one person and one person only. Ballard.

The million dollar question, is how much longer do you give the guy, it’s year 6 of what was a “rebuild” when he took over from Grigson. 

Talent? A guard and a linebacker? Smith is looking brutal. Pittman will want big money and no established young qb. Taylor will be a wasted talent.

• Like 1

Ballard is gone if we don’t make the playoffs. I’ll say it in every thread not even related to the topic. I was blocked by one of his relatives or friends in the forums today. What has he won? Our coach for a fact has won a SB. We sure it coaching and not the talent available for Frank? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Remember when Ballard took a DE instead of a LT lol.

Yeah but there also a wasn’t a left tackle to be had that could have started at the time. Now if you wanna debate that we should have traded up for a QB or for a LT, fine.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ok, we don't know what ballards tried to do behind closed doors? If he did "try" and get a young franchise QB, HE FAILED!!!

Highly, highly doubtful he ever considered trying to move up in the draft for a QB, due to his comments about “setting the franchise back.” Rivers, Wentz and Ryan were “win now” acquisitions and “cheaper” options believe it or not. 

If, he had made a bold move like trading a couple 1st to secure a potential franchise QBs and that failed, I think you’d see a lot less pitchforks, because at least he recognized and attempted to fix the #1 problem going forward. Now we’re at year 6. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1