Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Highly, highly doubtful he ever considered trying to move up in the draft for a QB, due to his comments about “setting the franchise back.” Rivers, Wentz and Ryan were “win now” acquisitions and “cheaper” options believe it or not. 

If, he had made a bold move like trading a couple 1st to secure a potential franchise QBs and that failed, I think you’d see a lot less pitchforks, because at least he recognized and attempted to fix the #1 problem going forward. Now we’re at year 6. Rinse and repeat. 

I agree.

I posted that because I seen that there were posts that we don't know what Ballard "tried" to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have the highest paid oline and 3rd highest paid dline in the league. For someone that says he wants to build through the trenches that is awful to be as bad as we are.

7 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Oh, gee, look at the Bucs. All of their WR are injured and suck, so what do they do? Go out and sign Beasley. I'm sick of Ballard.

He was never going to sign here after our dreadful start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am now of the opinion the man is afraid to make a big move for QB, LT, or pass rusher....Some circumstance has made having a top draft pick a non starter.....but there have been opportunities over the years to trade up and effectively fill one or more of  those rolls, yet he pecks away with marginal second rounders or moderate FA acquisitions.....I think he thinks if I fill the team with everything else it will minimize the importance of these rolls.....the NFL has determined that is a lie.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We have the highest paid oline and 3rd highest paid dline in the league. For someone that says he wants to build through the trenches that is awful to be as bad as we are.

He was never going to sign here after our dreadful start.

Not my point. What I’m saying is Tampa knew they had issues at WR with all the injuries. So they did something about it.  After game one, Ballard should have IMMEDIATELY done something about our issues. Instead they waited around all week to see about Pittman, and all at the % show we put on the field. 

• Like 1

I have been a huge supporter of Ballard on here since day one of his hiring, and still my only issue with him is he felt it necesary to hire Mcsuckles. Nice 0-3 record, Mcsuckles did us all a huge favor. But of course being this is the nfl Mcsuckles only win this year will be beating us and they will finish 1-16. Ballard has recovered nicely from that Mcsuckles gaffe.

I don't think Ballard has done a bad job.  He's done a lot right and I like his approach to the trenches.  But the deficiencies in this year's roster don't look manageable.  So from my easy chair you have to look at the entirety of the team and wonder where it's going and that's the issue here.

On the positive side the line has some good pieces for the QB of the future.  Problem of course is said QB of the future is probably not on our roster.  And this defense.  I've tried to support them but too often they manage to allow just enough to come up short.  So two disappointing sides of the ball.  Neither can be counted on.

It all comes together with a feel where I figure this team will be stuck in the .500 ball zone.  They won't draft high enough to be in striking range of the most coveted QBs and some of the most desirable impact players.  It's depressing.  So if I were in Irsay's shoes I'd clean house now and I'd get Sean Payton locked up with a massive contract that pays him top money before the Chargers fire their head coach.  I'd be all in on Payton.  Six year deal top money with final say and he can choose whether he wants Ballard in his pocket or some other front office type of his choice.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I just love fans who comment after one day of an event that lasts more than a month.   This  is like commenting after the first mile of a marathon.   Big deal.   It means nothing.   

It's been Ballards MO for 5 years. How long is your "marathon"? 10...12 years?

On 3/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's been Ballards MO for 5 years. How long is your "marathon"? 10...12 years?

You went back and searched and found this?    From March?    Today?

What point do you think you’re making?

Take a look on the draft/free agent page and you see a post showing the Jags have spent the most money in free agency for the last 10 years.   $1.4 BILLION!   Billion with a B.   And what has that bought them?

Our problems are a little more complicated than what we spend in the first week of free agency. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You went back and searched and found this?    From March?    Today?

What point do you think you’re making?

Take a look on the draft/free agent page and you see a post showing the Jags have spent the most money in free agency for the last 10 years.   $1.4 BILLION!   Billion with a B.   And what has that bought them?

Our problems are a little more complicated than what we spend in the first week of free agency. 

You didn't answer the question. How long should this "marathon"  go on????

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You didn't answer the question. How long should this "marathon"  go on????

Im not ready to fire Ballard, if that’s what you’re asking.   Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what I want.   

I’ve already stated publicly that I can see Frank getting fired before the season is over, potentially as soon as Friday if we lose to Denver.   And I’ve said Ballard’s chances to survive are not better than 50-50.   The team is badly under achieving, so predicting what Irsay might do is hard to predict.   

On 10/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Im not ready to fire Ballard, if that’s what you’re asking.   Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what I want.   

I’ve already stated publicly that I can see Frank getting fired before the season is over, potentially as soon as Friday if we lose to Denver.   And I’ve said Ballard’s chances to survive are not better than 50-50.   The team is badly under achieving, so predicting what Irsay might do is hard to predict.   

I can see Irsay getting impatient with both Ballard and Reich honestly especially with all these band-aid QBs. I'm not gonna mention moving up for Tua or Herbert because we don't know if he tried and it takes two to tango, but it wouldn't surprise me if Irsay holds that against Ballard for not making an aggressive move. Stafford is another example. Rumors are the deal was at the 11th hour. So much so that Stafford and his wife were looking for homes and the Rams basically ramped up the price and Ballard pulled out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can see Irsay getting impatient with both Ballard and Reich honestly especially with all these band-aid QBs. I'm not gonna mention moving up for Tua or Herbert because we don't know if he tried and it takes two to tango, but it wouldn't surprise me if Irsay holds that against Ballard for not making an aggressive move. Stafford is another example. Rumors are the deal was at the 11th hour. So much so that Stafford and his wife were looking for homes and the Rams basically ramped up the price and Ballard pulled out.

The band aid quarterbacks is highly likely come directly from Irsay.   He’s a former GM.   He knows how rare it is to find a great quarterback in the draft.   He knows it’s much more likely to miss than hit.  

Even now, people are talking about Tua like he’s a success.   That’s false.   He hasn’t shown much in his first two years.   He had a couple of great games in Y3 and people are calling him great.   Then he gets badly hurt in games 3 and 4.   Injuries have always been an issue for Tua.   And people are ignoring that in their attempt to build a case against Ballard.   

Ballard works with Irsay.    Now you’re writing Irsay is going to fire Ballard for doing what they’ve been agreeing to all along.    My hunch is if Irsay fires Ballard it’ll be over (A) Frank, and (B) Irsay wants to change the approach and Ballard is reluctant.    If they’re not in the same page then Ballard would get fired.   

People are projecting.   They don’t like Ballard’s approach so they assume Irsay must agree with the fans.   Fans think they know enough as Irsay and come to the same conclusion.   I’m not defending Ballard.   I’m saying the idea that Ursay and Ballard haven’t been in the same page is false.   Irsay called Ballard the best GM in the business THIS off-season.   It’s hard to fire that guy unless there’s a new fallout, which might happen.   I’ve said repeatedly, Ballard’s future here is 50-50. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The band aid quarterbacks is highly likely come directly from Irsay.   He’s a former GM.   He knows how rare it is to find a great quarterback in the draft.   He knows it’s much more likely to miss than hit.  

Even now, people are talking about Tua like he’s a success.   That’s false.   He hasn’t shown much in his first two years.   He had a couple of great games in Y3 and people are calling him great.   Then he gets badly hurt in games 3 and 4.   Injuries have always been an issue for Tua.   And people are ignoring that in their attempt to build a case against Ballard.   

Ballard works with Irsay.    Now you’re writing Irsay is going to fire Ballard for doing what they’ve been agreeing to all along.    My hunch is if Irsay fires Ballard it’ll be over (A) Frank, and (B) Irsay wants to change the approach and Ballard is reluctant.    If they’re not in the same page then Ballard would get fired.   

People are projecting.   They don’t like Ballard’s approach do they assume Irsay must agree with the fans.   Fans think they know enough as Irsay and come to the same conclusion.   I’m not defending Ballard.   I’m saying the idea that Ursay and Ballard haven’t been in the same page is false.   Irsay called Ballard the best GM in the business THIS off-season.   It’s hard to fire that guy unless there’s a new fallout, which might happen.   I’ve said repeatedly, Ballard’s future here is 50-50. 

You think Irsay is that involved that's he's like Jerry Jones? I'm sure Ballard discusses things with Irsay, but it's his decision at the end of the day. I have a hard time imagining Irsay needing to sign off on everything Ballard does. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You think Irsay is that involved that's he's like Jerry Jones? I'm sure Ballard discusses things with Irsay, but it's his decision at the end of the day. I have a hard time imagining Irsay needing to sign off on everything Ballard does. 

He may not have to sign off, but he’s on board.   Again, he just a few months ago called Chris Ballard the best GM in the business.   At the very least he’s in agreement with how Ballard thinks and does his business.   You and others here are projecting..    YOU’RE tired of the Ballard approach therefor Irsay must be tired of the Ballard approach.   All of Irsay’s public comments about Ballard couldn’t be any more positive.  

By the way, you’re going to have to provide a link to the Stafford story about he and his wife shopping for homes in Indy.   The Rams offered two 1’s PLUS Jared Goff.  Detroits new GM had just come the Rams where he helped draft Goff.  How were the Colts supposed to outbid the Rams offer?   We were not going to offer 3 firsts.  Oh, and don’t look now, Stafford had elbow surgery on his throwing arm this summer and so far, he looks terrible.  

Remember, everything is obvious in hindsight.  

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He may not have to sign off, but he’s on board.   Again, he just a few months ago called Chris Ballard the best GM in the business.   At the very least he’s in agreement with how Ballard thinks and does his business.   You and others here are projecting..    YOU’RE tired of the Ballard approach therefor Irsay must be tired of the Ballard approach.   All of Irsay’s public comments about Ballard couldn’t be any more positive.  

By the way, you’re going to have to provide a link to the Stafford story about he and his wife shopping for homes in Indy.   The Rams offered two 1’s PLUS Jared Goff.  Detroits new GM had just come the Rams where he helped draft Goff.  How were the Colts supposed to outbid the Rams offer?   We were not going to offer 3 firsts.  Oh, and don’t look now, Stafford had elbow surgery on his throwing arm this summer and so far, he looks terrible.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/09/22/colts-matthew-stafford-lions-rams-trade-indianapolis-homes-real-estate/5811427001/

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Seeing how bad Rhule is and Ballard wanting Cheater I have no trust in Ballard’s coaching hire if he was allowed to keep his job.. He liked Rhule a lot.

Ballard also had Vrabel as one of his original finalist.  So he does have a sense of talent.  Fans have soured on Ballard and I get why so they tend to focus on the negative and forget or overlook the good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Look at those graphs. You cannot be a GM who's hammering the importance of OL and DL and 6 years into your tenure have one of the worst OL and DL units in the whole NFL. 

It's a gift to have such poor performance. Ballard may secretly hate both Irsay and Reich.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:45 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Colts could never have competed with the rams

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, stitches said:

Look at those graphs. You cannot be a GM who's hammering the importance of OL and DL and 6 years into your tenure have one of the worst OL and DL units in the whole NFL. 

Yep, this is key. If Ballard can’t even execute on his key team building philosophy, what can we rely on from him? I’m shocked that I’m writing this, but I’m loosing faith fast….

On 10/31/2022 at 9:58 PM, JediXMan said:

The  Rock/ Yannick trade is looking worse as the year goes on. Rock is ranked high among DBs while Ngakoue is near the bottom at his.

Is it the trade itself that is bad? When Rock was here, fans could not wait to get him out. So, given that he is doing well now, is it the player himself, the coaching, the schemes, the surrounding cast, or something else that is responsible for the difference in performance???

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Is it the trade itself that is bad? When Rock was here, fans could not wait to get him out. So, given that he is doing well now, is it the player himself, the coaching, the schemes, the surrounding cast, or something else that is responsible for the difference in performance???

It is funny. Most people wanted RYS gone, and when it happened they were thrilled. Now that he’s gone and Yannick isn’t getting 3 sacks a game, they scream how awful of a trade it was. 

This is the definition of a fickle fan base. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

It is funny. Most people wanted RYS gone, and when it happened they were thrilled. Now that he’s gone and Yannick isn’t getting 3 sacks a game, they scream how awful of a trade it was. 

This is the definition of a fickle fan base. 

I don’t think the trade made our defense worse. So in theory it was a good trade.

On 10/10/2022 at 1:24 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard also had Vrabel as one of his original finalist.  So he does have a sense of talent.  Fans have soured on Ballard and I get why so they tend to focus on the negative and forget or overlook the good.

dont complain about the colts record if you think ballard is doing a great job

• Like 1