Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

10 minutes ago, Bravo said:

As a running back I’ll take Moss.

All it shows me is that the Colts should have used Hines as a kick returner more often.

our special teams coach who this forum thinks is great only used hines on punt returns, imo he should have also been used on kick off returns. as far as rb moss appears to be a lot better up the gut , again hines should not have been used up the gut. hines should have been used like the pats used wes welker, catch and run and pitch outs. hines has talent if used correctly. bottom line our coaches didnt know how to use his talent. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jonjon said:

: facepalm :

I’m happy for Hines, but he has done almost nothing before today.   Literally, almost nothing.   

Plus, Moss has been a very good RB for the Colts.   He’s a good fit for our offense.  He runs hard, he’s not afraid of contact, he can break tackles.   And he’s got another year on his contract which is about 1/4 of Hines. 

The deal is much better than most here thought the day the Colts made it. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

our special teams coach who this forum thinks is great only used hines on punt returns, imo he should have also been used on kick off returns. as far as rb moss appears to be a lot better up the gut , again hines should not have been used up the gut. hines should have been used like the pats used wes welker, catch and run and pitch outs. hines has talent if used correctly. bottom line our coaches didnt know how to use his talent. 

The reason this forum thinks our ST coach is so great is because, well, he is.  

The Colts are typically top-5-ish in the league for ST.   And this year, the Colts are again highly ranked WITHOUT our starting kicker and punter. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:48 PM, danlhart87 said:

It's like watching a movie but turning it off 3m in cause you disliked the opening credits

With Ballard, it’s been more than 3 minutes. It’s been several seasons of bad drafting few FA moves. In his case, the waiter put bad food on the table before we walked into the restaurant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

: facepalm :

We dumped a way over paid, easily replaceable gadget guy for a actual solid looking RB. Moss looks like we could trade Taylor and use him as a lead RB.

Just sign one of the several qualty #2's that will be available in FA, and draft another good prospect later in the draft. We could have a very solid RB core.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m happy for Hines, but he has done almost nothing before today.   Literally, almost nothing.   

Plus, Moss has been a very good RB for the Colts.   He’s a good fit for our offense.  He runs hard, he’s not afraid of contact, he can break tackles.   And he’s got another year on his contract which is about 1/4 of Hines. 

The deal is much better than most here thought the day the Colts made it. 

235 yards and 2 touchdowns on 4 kickoff returns is nothing to sneeze at, but in the end it's nothing but a very good game - if he's a real factor in the playoffs, I may change my opinion but I agree that Moss is a better fit for this team as a backup as a backup for JT, two power runners who can occasionally be paired in the backfield at the same time and give defenders a real hard time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I assume all the posts already pointed out he has done nothing until his lucky return. Today.  

Also, dude wanted traded.  What else was there to do?  The guy we got in return has 200x the production Hines did for Buffalo.

Really? How many kickoff returns for TDs has Moss had? 

Hines was laughably misused here. His contract was a SNAFU, I get that, but I'd rather him over Moss easily. To each their own. 

I'll never understand how people can continue to support Chris Ballard like he's irreplaceable. He's entering his 7th season as the Colts GM.

0 Division titles

Hired Josh McDaniels before he ran back to New England, then hired Frank Reich.

1 playoff win (2018 with Andrew Luck)

Had a different QB starting every year over the last 4 years.

Still hasn't attempted to draft a new guy to be the franchise QB. He much rather sign 40 year old QBs every year with the same result.

Completely lost the locker room this season and the colture this organization once prided themselves on.

Hands out huge contracts to players, only to have them under perform immediately after being paid and refuses to spend money in FA, to fill holes that have been an issue for multiple seasons now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I'll never understand how people can continue to support Chris Ballard like he's irreplaceable. He's entering his 7th season as the Colts GM.

0 Division titles

Still hasn't attempted to draft a new guy to be the franchise QB. He much rather sign 40 year old QBs every year with the same result.

Completely lost the locker room this season and the colture this organization once prided themselves on.

Hands out huge contracts to players, only to have them under perform immediately after being paid and refuses to spend money in FA, to fill holes that have been an issue for multiple seasons now.

he man wink GIF

He's back. But he's under a lot more scrutiny, from us that is. 

On 1/8/2023 at 3:56 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

Well when u considered how  much Hines was making . Most  teams don't have a  guy  returning kicks who is making  6 mill a year. Just economics and  chance of getting hurt.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:56 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

Bubba didn’t make the decision about how much Hines was used on ST by himself.   He works with the head coach and the GM.   Those kind of decisions are collaborative.  

And the likely reason for not using him more is that the more he’d be used in STs the greater the probability of getting hurt.  And the team didn’t want a key situational player taking an increased chance of getting hurt.   We had Rogers and Flowers to return kicks and they both were good. 

By the way, the 2022 Colts STs were ranked tied for 4th.   And that was with more turnover than they’ve had since roughly 2018.  

Bubba really is very good at his job.   I hope if he doesn’t get the HC job, that the Colts find a way to keep him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, Dark Superman said:

0 Division titles

It's easy to write your negative slant. Bla! Bla! Bla!

JMO that from the word HAD on you are posting dodoo. 

And i would say ZERO % here thinks he is irreplaceable. So you got that wrong too!

Frank just didn't have it and he lead Irsay and Ballard to wrong choices.
In Frank we trusted and his failure became obvious to the man that writes the checks. Kudos to Irsay for slamming the door to end his rein!
 And now it's time for Irsay & Ballard to adapt.

BTW Leonard makes Between Raquan Smith and Fred Warner. Just the going rate. Q EARNED his contract. We will see if he bounces back under a new regime. 

There are only 3-4 very good teams in the NFL. And the rest trying to draft and develop their own players, and yes sign a few FA to fill the gaps to catch up.

So here we are. Trying our best to get a good HC, draft a QB with great potential, and continue to build a talented Team. Like Every other team. Yawn!

On 1/9/2023 at 12:17 AM, jonjon said:

Really? How many kickoff returns for TDs has Moss had? 

Hines was laughably misused here. His contract was a SNAFU, I get that, but I'd rather him over Moss easily. To each their own. 

Oh, i would say everyone on our offense was misused. Hines is a gadget guy. Definitely Not a #2 RB.  Seattle and GB would be good places for Hines if you want him to play offense.

Moss was a good enough RB i don't care if Taylor comes back. Taylors bad ankle is scary!!!

This has been simmering a bit with me and then last night a situation happened in the 49’ers - ‘Hawks game that kind of got me PO’d. 

Our guys quit this year. Our, supposed, high-character guys quit. 

If you saw the Deebo Samuel - Jonathan Abrams ankle twist situation and the 49’ers reaction you know what I’m talking about. That’s how our guys should’ve reacted with Foles and Thibedeaux. Instead they stood around collecting paychecks.

I don’t buy into Ballard’s high-character guys anymore. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 7:00 AM, Solid84 said:

This has been simmering a bit with me and then last night a situation happened in the 49’ers - ‘Hawks game that kind of got me PO’d. 

Our guys quit this year. Our, supposed, high-character guys quit. 

If you saw the Deebo Samuel - Jonathan Abrams ankle twist situation and the 49’ers reaction you know what I’m talking about. That’s how our guys should’ve reacted with Foles and Thibedeaux. Instead they stood around collecting paychecks.

I don’t buy into Ballard’s high-character guys anymore. 

The whole team quit. Think about that when buying season tickets.

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The whole team quit. Think about that when buying season tickets.

The largest part of season ticket holders are businesses. Those tickets are purchased with sales in mind. Season tickets are more for the local economy. The TV contracts are where the money is made. 

• Like 1

Ballard has caught a lot of criticism during his tenure. Some warranted, some not. In his defense it is his first GM job. I read an article on Howie Roseman of the Eagles. He's been hated, loved, hated again and now loved again by Eagles fans. Made mistakes along the way but maybe finally got it right? I'm hoping history will be the same for Ballard. We saw a man who was humbled during his press conference and moving forward maybe we will see a better Chris Ballard 2.0. 

• Like 1

Howie Rosen definitely got the better of Ballard with Wentz, Sirianni. He drafted Hurts in the second round while Ballard went for Pittman, or he could have traded up for Hurts since he had two second. He did draft Sam Erlinger and Eason, with Eason bombing out. I think Erlinger may still prove out to be a good QB with the right coach. Case in point: Brock Purdy and Shanahan. Fred Reich is not that great of a Head coach. He is a OC type coach.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

Don't forget the source was Frank Reich, who tried to run Kylen Granson up the middle (reference Pats game) who hadn't run up the middle since SMU, and who was stuffed then too.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:57 AM, AustexColt said:

Howie Rosen definitely got the better of Ballard with Wentz, Sirianni. He drafted Hurts in the second round while Ballard went for Pittman, or he could have traded up for Hurts since he had two second. He did draft Sam Erlinger and Eason, with Eason bombing out. I think Erlinger may still prove out to be a good QB with the right coach. Case in point: Brock Purdy and Shanahan. Fred Reich is not that great of a Head coach. He is a OC type coach.

How did the Eagles get the best of Ballard over Sirianni?   The Colts were not going to block Nick from a promotion to HC.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...