Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis DL Opinion

danlhart87

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think they have to add someone in FA

Agreed.  But I’m glad Mathis confirmed my suspicions that coaching also came into play.  

It was either bad coaching/scheme or we had bad scouts and CB’s high draft picks were all underwhelming.   

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.  But I’m glad Mathis confirmed my suspicions that coaching also came into play.  

It was either bad coaching/scheme or we had bad scouts and CB’s high draft picks were all underwhelming.   

Have a feeling it was coaching not meshing since Baker got fired before Flus left

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

So you’ve decided that Paye and Dayo are underwhelming?   

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you’ve decided that Paye and Dayo are underwhelming?   

Not yet.  Kwity shows promise.  

Turay and Banogu, for sure.  Lewis was the best out of those three IMO.  

I know it takes time but they were all high draft picks and they either haven’t been developed or they’re JAGs.  

49 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not yet.  Kwity shows promise.  

Turay and Banogu, for sure.  Lewis was the best out of those three IMO.  

I know it takes time but they were all high draft picks and they either haven’t been developed or they’re JAGs.  

I think/hope the pudding that is the new defensive staff, is going to show the proof of who is NFL material...and who is not. 

I think the future is bright for Dayo, Lewis (needs resigned), and Paye

The two rookies just need some snaps

Mathis had 3.5 sacks his first year. He got much better

(My hope for our two draftees from last year)

Paye ran a 4.57 40 which is decent for a LB but crazy for a DE, and had some insane 3 cone numbers

When he puts it all together, he will should be a monster

Dayo looked decent in his limited snaps as well last year

I STILL believe our priority number 1 is DE from FA

(If we dont move on from Carson, then it becomes priority number 2)

15 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

From the tweet I read today many of the early options the team tried to get wanted more than want the Colts wanted to give

That's highly doubtful.  Jim doesn't make the comments he did at the end of the season, and then get outbid for a position coach, of all things......

4 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

That's highly doubtful.  Jim doesn't make the comments he did at the end of the season, and then get outbid for a position coach, of all things......

Love the name!  The toothpick made you totally unrecognizable.

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but they were saying that the Colts assistant coaches were very underpaid.  I don't know if that's public knowledge or not.

Also, they made a point of assistant coaches wanting to go to places where they're pretty sure the current regime is going to last more than a year.  You'd think the Colts staff would be safe, but I'm not sure anymore.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Paye ran a 4.57 40 which is decent for a LB but crazy for a DE, and had some insane 3 cone numbers

I tend to agree, but I don't think CB will.  

There are huge holes at LT, WR (not if you're CB apparently), maybe TE, maaaaaybe QB, CB, etc....  Then DE.  He's invested like four? 2nd rd picks and a first in the DE position the last three years..as well as traded a high first and a massive contract to a great DT. And a nice contract to his NT..  If he commits a huge contract to it as well.... That's a ton of assets in the DL.... Mostly picks at DE, and a lot of money at DT.  

Now, we all know Ballard wants to build amazing lines first and foremost, so maybe he does throw more (necessary?) Cash at DE this off-season.... But I think Jim wants more in the way of "star wars" offensive numbers.... He may be just a bit jaded from all the Manning/Luck years.... 

I think we sign someone at LT, hopefully a DE,  and against all probability my main wish for the last four plus years... A REAL top 2 WR..... Lol.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but they were saying that the Colts assistant coaches were very underpaid.  I don't know if that's public knowledge or not.

Also, they made a point of assistant coaches wanting to go to places where they're pretty sure the current regime is going to last more than a year.  You'd think the Colts staff would be safe, but I'm not sure anymore.

Huh.... Hadn't heard that on the assistant coaches pay rates....thanks old chap.

10 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I tend to agree, but I don't think CB will.  

There are huge holes at LT, WR (not if you're CB apparently), maybe TE, maaaaaybe QB, CB, etc....  Then DE.  He's invested like four? 2nd rd picks and a first in the DE position the last three years..as well as traded a high first and a massive contract to a great DT. And a nice contract to his NT..  If he commits a huge contract to it as well.... That's a ton of assets in the DL.... Mostly picks at DE, and a lot of money at DT.  

Now, we all know Ballard wants to build amazing lines first and foremost, so maybe he does throw more (necessary?) Cash at DE this off-season.... But I think Jim wants more in the way of "star wars" offensive numbers.... He may be just a bit jaded from all the Manning/Luck years.... 

I think we sign someone at LT, hopefully a DE,  and against all probability my main wish for the last four plus years... A REAL top 2 WR..... Lol.

You are right, there are many holes

IMHO On defense, the blaring hole is lack of pressure.

Kwitty was stopped by a single blocker last year....... Buckner was doubled teamed every play..... he was gassed by the 3rd quarter

We still need a FS, but even an average FS "looks" better when there is pressure

The pressure makes this defense viable

No pressure, and you cant stop anyone. The developing rookies didnt get it done, we cant take a chance this year

Ballard has even stated that we need more PR, a single DE that can wreck havok, is what is needed.

On offense..... with the QB up in the air, its tough to say what we should do

We have holes at WR2, WR3, TE, and LT (and maybe QB)

The first question.... what can be filled of these holes in this years draft?

Looking at the WR group in the draft, there are several TEs and WRs that appear to be able to step in right away, and be WR2

(or even WR1) there are also a few TEs that MIGHT be able to step in and play right away.

We cant afford to fill every opening in FA.......  AND a DE that would impact THIS year, at our current pick is PROBABLY not available......  

We HAVE to build this team through the draft first......  

19 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So is out there to replace him?  Good poll option 

I brought his name up before. Jim Leonard, current DC at Wisconsin. Make him DL coach / defensive assistant. Wisconsin has done pretty good with him.

Former NFL safety, has coached plenty of positions:

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jim-leonhard/1709

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are some interesting future/past LEO's out there to be had in FA too.....

Dorance Armstrong

Rasheem Green - More of a DE in the Cover 3 and played it in Seattle

Arden Key

Lorenzo Carter

Re-Sign Turay?

Re-Sign Muhammad?

Charles Harris

Dante Fowler

Emmanuel Ogbah - More of a DE in the Cover 3

Jadaveon Clowney

27 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are some interesting future/past LEO's out there to be had in FA too.....

Dorance Armstrong

Rasheem Green - More of a DE in the Cover 3 and played it in Seattle

Arden Key

Lorenzo Carter

Re-Sign Turay?

Re-Sign Muhammad?

Charles Harris

Dante Fowler

Emmanuel Ogbah - More of a DE in the Cover 3

Jadaveon Clowney

Gregory from Dallas. I’d pay him to come in on passing downs, slide Kwity to the other side on those downs then slide Dayo inside for Grover on those downs. 

37 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Gregory from Dallas. I’d pay him to come in on passing downs, slide Kwity to the other side on those downs then slide Dayo inside for Grover on those downs. 

You sure you'd want Gregory and all those off the field concerns? Isn't he one misstep away from being Josh Gordon?

I agree on the other sentiments though!

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I heard the same podcast today.  I think i found it on the colts app/site.

Not sure who the guy was, but i liked his style, and he was factual and didnt pull any punches.

He also brought up a trade for Carson but i just cant see anyone giving anything.  He also mentioned Kelly as a possible trade because of pinters play.. while i’m not advocating a Kelly or Q trade, it is noteworthy to point out that we didnt notice much, if any, decrease in production when either was out.  At times, looked to me as if Pinter was more solid.  Small sample tho.

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You sure you'd want Gregory and all those off the field concerns? Isn't he one misstep away from being Josh Gordon?

I agree on the other sentiments though!

If it was just weed I could care less.  He was selected to the leadership committee in Dallas this last year.  I think a rotation of Dayo, Paye, and Gregory would be excellent. 

I had mentioned weeks ago my preference would be to add Njoku, Gregory, and Armstead.  There are other TE’s and Duane Brown would be a decent short term solution at LT. Signing Brown might be more realistic and it saves some money for Heyward and a WR. 

Some might think we need a three down DE but I think a situational guy like Gregory would be just fine. Sure he could play three downs but letting him just go after the QB might be ideal. 

19 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I heard the same podcast today.  I think i found it on the colts app/site.

Not sure who the guy was, but i liked his style, and he was factual and didnt pull any punches.

He also brought up a trade for Carson but i just cant see anyone giving anything.  He also mentioned Kelly as a possible trade because of pinters play.. while i’m not advocating a Kelly or Q trade, it is noteworthy to point out that we didnt notice much, if any, decrease in production when either was out.  At times, looked to me as if Pinter was more solid.  Small sample tho.

The reason you didn’t notice a falloff in unit performance is because the unit was under-performing all season long.   Q was grading in the 50’s for the first half of the year, and roughly the 60’s in the 3rd quarter of the season.   It wasn’t until the final month of the season when Q slowly began to look a little like his old self.  His grades would tell you this was his worst year BY FAR.  

Same with Kelly.  His worst year by far.   So when other guys filled in, the unit did pretty decent.   But is anyone saying the ‘21 OL performance was as good as 20?  Or 19?  Or 18?     No. 

To imply the backups are as good as the starters is a stretch.  

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason you didn’t notice a falloff in unit performance is because the unit was under-performing all season long.   Q was grading in the 50’s for the first half of the year, and roughly the 60’s in the 3rd quarter of the season.   It wasn’t until the final month of the season when Q slowly began to look a little like his old self.  His grades would tell you this was his worst year BY FAR.  

Same with Kelly.  His worst year by far.   So when other guys filled in, the unit did pretty decent.   But is anyone saying the ‘21 OL performance was as good as 20?  Or 19?  Or 18?     No. 

Wasnt implying as good.....

BUT..... the gap in talent may not be worth the gap in $$$$.

15 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

If it was just weed I could care less.  He was selected to the leadership committee in Dallas this last year.  I think a rotation of Dayo, Paye, and Gregory would be excellent. 

I had mentioned weeks ago my preference would be to add Njoku, Gregory, and Armstead.  There are other TE’s and Duane Brown would be a decent short term solution at LT. Signing Brown might be more realistic and it saves some money for Heyward and a WR. 

Some might think we need a three down DE but I think a situational guy like Gregory would be just fine. Sure he could play three downs but letting him just go after the QB might be ideal. 

If his nose is clean and we are not wasting money, yes, adding him to the rotation would be doable. That is A LOT of vetting by Ballard and Company to do plus they will likely offer less money than other teams so I doubt we sign him. 

There are easily 5-10 TE's on the market this year that could thrive in our offense, I'm sure Ballard will sign one of them!

Armstead is interesting as he thrived when they moved him inside BUT could also thrive as a defensive end in the cover 3 front.....SF would be smart to re-sign him or Tag him though.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I do think that Kelly has been underwhelming for a couple of seasons now. Injuries no doubt have played a part in that but it is what it is. Pinter looked very good at center. If there was a decent trade to be had out there for Kelly, the Colts would be smart to consider it. They need cap space if they are going to sign any decent Free Agents. 

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I do think that Kelly has been underwhelming for a couple of seasons now. Injuries no doubt have played a part in that but it is what it is. Pinter looked very good at center. If there was a decent trade to be had out there for Kelly, the Colts would be smart to consider it. They need cap space if they are going to sign any decent Free Agents. 

I don’t think trading Kelly this year frees up any money.   He has an $11 mill salary and an $11 mill dead cap hit.   A year from now, I believe the hit is zero or close to that. 

I don't think there is any way that Kelly is not here next yr.   He lost a child and came back to try to get the team in the playoffs.   This is the kind of ALL IN Irsay is talking about 

Just like Pags was not losing his job to BA    Kelly is not losing his job here 

JMO but I fell strongly about it 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think trading Kelly this year frees up any money.   He has an $11 mill salary and an $11 mill dead cap hit.   A year from now, I believe the hit is zero or close to that. 

I double checked my facts on Kelly….   And I’m somewhat off.    But if we trade Kelly, we lose about $1mill in salary cap.  Lose, not gain. 

We’d gain cap space next year, though Kelly’s dead cap hit is not zero. 

Archived