Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

27 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Irsay is a great owner.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that if Carson takes us to 9-8 next season, then we would miss the playoffs again.

Then we go for a draft pick in 2023.  That would be at least 3 more years of losing before we went to the playoffs.

I don't think Irsay wants to wait 4 years to start winning.  He has too much pride.

Don't be surprised if the Colts make a move for Garappolo as he is available for trade and is being packaged now.

He would be willing to come to Indy.

I see what your saying and can agree to some point. But IMO I think Colts would be better off keeping what they already got in draft and cap space and go with Wentz entering year two with this team than to gamble a year 1 with Garappolo. JMO 

IMO I see some team having to spend a lot to get Garappolo after far as he took the 49ners this season. I don't think he will be worth what 49ners are going to want unless, they actually let him go as a FA.(probably not happening) 49ners are going to want something for him and some team will probably spend too much for him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I see what your saying and can agree to some point. But IMO I think Colts would be better off keeping what they already got in draft and cap space and go with Wentz entering year two with this team than to gamble a year 1 with Garappolo. JMO 

IMO I see some team having to spend a lot to get Garappolo after far as he took the 49ners this season. I don't think he will be worth what 49ners are going to want unless, they actually let him go as a FA.(probably not happening) 49ners are going to want something for him and some team will probably spend too much for him.

Not to mention whoever he goes he will probably get a extension. We have too many holes to fill to waste more draft picks. I have a feeling this would not be viewed as a good move by Irsay. I think they are at a point they will ride with what they have. Fix holes and just try and wait for one in a future draft. For everything that happened in camp and starting 1-4  the fact we missed playoffs by one game is actually a pretty remarkable feat. The season was not as disaterous as people want to make it out to be with all the bad circumstances early.

43 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jimmy g would be a dumb move. He does some things better then Wentz but Wentz does some things better. It’s a lateral move. We would have to give up a second rd pick. That isn’t happening with no first.

I did read a article yesterday where they said the 49er’s are looking for a 2nd or a 3rd and a player.  FWIW I believe they have a need for an upgrade at center.

47 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Irsay is a great owner.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that if Carson takes us to 9-8 next season, then we would miss the playoffs again.

Then we go for a draft pick in 2023.  That would be at least 3 more years of losing before we went to the playoffs.

I don't think Irsay wants to wait 4 years to start winning.  He has too much pride.

Don't be surprised if the Colts make a move for Garappolo as he is available for trade and is being packaged now.

He would be willing to come to Indy.

First off.   I think you are one of the better  rational posters on the board.  I agree with almost everything you post. Maybe you have read that I was not a fan of PR when he was a charger but LOVED him here. REALLY wish we could have gotten another yr and possibly a SB with him.

I have been reading this board for yrs finally signed up, and I know this is a very impatient group.  They nit pick everything!  

I think Wentz will be good next yr. VERY good.   

We didn't make the playoffs so we need another QB etc, Irsay tweeted something so that means he hates that anti vaxxer so he wants Rogers. (HA).    It means Ballard and Reich are on the hot seat etc. Even to the point of picking draft picks in a month without know who is available when we draft.  Oh and don't get me started on drafting for need like were at a supermarket buying groceries for dinner.  We're out of LT's will you grab one Honey?  I'm gonna run to the WR isle and get one maybe two lets live a little this week,  Are we good on TE's?

All that said. (vent over)

While I agree that Garappolo has a higher floor his ceiling is not near what Wentz has.    I am not opposed to Jimmy at all.  But why give up another draft pick for the same as what we have?  

The pressure had to be huge for Carson coming here.  Following Manning Luck and Rivers and a terrible season in Philly.   Reunited with a coach that believes in him and that should all equal a SB for Colts fans right?

Carson is a weird dude IMO.   Not because of his religious beliefs ( I believe a lot what he does. Not because of his non vax stuff, I understand that). But he seems awkward to me. But I think he felt the pressure of everything I typed above and he was never comfortable.   He felt like hell Manning would be able to bring this team back from a 10 point lead so would Luck.  I need to be like those guys.

I'd love Rivers to come and work with him. Help him see the field 

Anyway second rant over.      

Carson Wentz can win with this team and I think a lot of people are going to eat their words about him 

Cheers 

Chug 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I did read a article yesterday where they said the 49er’s are looking for a 2nd or a 3rd and a player.  FWIW I believe they have a need for an upgrade at center.

I would never give up a puck like that when we have no first.  He is also going to get extended where he goes. We have to many holes to fill not having a first and second round pick. I also don’t this id a move Irsay would sign off on.

26 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not to mention whoever he goes he will probably get a extension. We have too many holes to fill to waste more draft picks. I have a feeling this would not be viewed as a good move by Irsay. I think they are at a point they will ride with what they have. Fix holes and just try and wait for one in a future draft. For everything that happened in camp and starting 1-4  the fact we missed playoffs by one game is actually a pretty remarkable feat. The season was not as disaterous as people want to make it out to be with all the bad circumstances early.

I agree with a lot of your points. I just think it would be smarter to roll with Wentz going into his 2nd year with the Colts offense than to roll the dice on Garappolo coming in for his 1st year with Colts offense. JMO

Just now, Maniac53 said:

I agree with a lot of your points. I just think it would be smarter to roll with Wentz going into his 2nd year with the Colts offense than to roll the dice on Garappolo coming in for his 1st year with Colts offense. JMO

It is smarter. Some fans can’t seem to look at it past one year. Staying with him could set us up for the future. He either works his tail off and ends up to be the long term answer or we are set up for the draft in 23.  It’s actually a win win. Irsay just needs to stay a little more patient.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He knows we need a Franchise QB to win, common sense. Been a fan since 1984. We have a good roster and a RB like Taylor, can't waste it, time to take care of business. Leonard, Nelson, Defo, and Moore = we are good there. Taylor baby!

As much as I’d like for that to happen, I just don’t see it happening. Hate to be that guy, but it’s true. 

19 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

First off.   I think you are one of the better  rational posters on the board.  I agree with almost everything you post. Maybe you have read that I was not a fan of PR when he was a charger but LOVED him here. REALLY wish we could have gotten another yr and possibly a SB with him.

I have been reading this board for yrs finally signed up, and I know this is a very impatient group.  They nit pick everything!  

I think Wentz will be good next yr. VERY good.   

We didn't make the playoffs so we need another QB etc, Irsay tweeted something so that means he hates that anti vaxxer so he wants Rogers. (HA).    It means Ballard and Reich are on the hot seat etc. Even to the point of picking draft picks in a month without know who is available when we draft.  Oh and don't get me started on drafting for need like were at a supermarket buying groceries for dinner.  We're out of LT's will you grab one Honey?  I'm gonna run to the WR isle and get one maybe two lets live a little this week,  Are we good on TE's?

All that said. (vent over)

While I agree that Garappolo has a higher floor his ceiling is not near what Wentz has.    I am not opposed to Jimmy at all.  But why give up another draft pick for the same as what we have?  

The pressure had to be huge for Carson coming here.  Following Manning Luck and Rivers and a terrible season in Philly.   Reunited with a coach that believes in him and that should all equal a SB for Colts fans right?

Carson is a weird dude IMO.   Not because of his religious beliefs ( I believe a lot what he does. Not because of his non vax stuff, I understand that). But he seems awkward to me. But I think he felt the pressure of everything I typed above and he was never comfortable.   He felt like hell Manning would be able to bring this team back from a 10 point lead so would Luck.  I need to be like those guys.

I'd love Rivers to come and work with him. Help him see the field 

Anyway second rant over.      

Carson Wentz can win with this team and I think a lot of people are going to eat their words about him 

Cheers 

Chug 

If you think Wentz felt pressure this year with Reich blowing sunshine up his arss what do you think he’s going to feel next year when he knows at least half the fan base wants him gone, his GM and coach didn’t back him publicly, and the owner want a new QB more than anyone on this board? Plus, he might have a vet brought in to compete with him.  

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

If you think Wentz felt pressure this year with Reich blowing sunshine up his arss what do you think he’s going to feel next year when he knows at least half the fan base wants him gone, his GM and coach didn’t back him publicly, and the owner want a new QB more than anyone on this board? Plus, he might have a vet brought in to compete with him.  

If he can’t step up then he isn’t the right QB.  It would reveal a lot.

19 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

You never know, may be the pressure Wentz needs to start a dynasty run..:peek:

I will be so glad when all of this is over in the next few weeks. Now that all the coaches are hired and the SB will be over soon things will start to happen. Rodgers said he will let GB know way before FA. Well that is in a month. The Stafford deal I think might of been before the SB. So all of this will be sorted out soon.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now we are probably stuck with Wentz because our FO won't make that huge move. Reminds me of the stinkin Pacers. Irsay is a great owner though. 

Being stuck with Wentz should be a big upside compared to the Pacers. Wentz and Colts were only one game away from playoffs. 

Pacers look so much worse. :D:peek:

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I will be so glad when all of this is over in the next few weeks. Now that all the coaches are hired and the SB will be over soon things will start to happen. Rodgers said he will let GB know way before FA. Well that is in a month. The Stafford deal I think might of been before the SB. So all of this will be sorted out soon.

I think he said he would let them know by the time the Franchise tagging starts. 

2 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Being stuck with Wentz should be a big upside compared to the Pacers. Wentz and Colts were only one game away from playoffs. 

Pacers look so much worse. :D:peek:

the pacers need to pick one of the centers, trade the other and build a modern nba team around shooters 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well it’s his last chance. He will sink or swim. In 2019 he drug a injured eagles team to the playoffs with PS players. Had to win the final four games.

Then they drafted a QB and he folded like a towel hot out of the dryer. 

He couldn’t win his final game in 2021 with a better team against worse competition. Whatever he did in 2019 may well have been 1921 it was so long ago now. 

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Then they drafted a QB and he folded like a towel hot out of the dryer. 

He couldn’t win his final game in 2021 with a better team against worse competition. Whatever he did in 2019 may well have been 1921 it was so long ago now. 

You have no idea if that is why he folded. That team was going down the tubes from 2019 on. Injuries and aging players. It was already starting to disintegrate. The entire team was horrible against jags.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You have no idea if that is why he folded. That team was going down the tubes from 2019 on. Injuries and aging players. It was already starting to disintegrate. The entire team was horrible against jags.

It’s pretty clear at this point in his career that he can’t handle pressure. 

So some people actually think the move is to cut Wentz and trade for Jimmy G and then sign him to an extension? 

Cutting Wentz saves us what 13 of the 28 mil?   So that is a 15 million dollar hit.  Then trade a second and third for Jimmy and then sign him to a extension of at least 20+ mil per year?   All that for a lateral move?  

Like Ballard should be fired if that is the plan. 

39 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yeah. They were. Especially Wentz. Go back and watch the film. There was plenty of yards and possibly scores just left on the field in the way of simple check downs to a wide open Taylor (you know, those “layups he needs to learn to make”) that died on the vine in favor of throws that were not there. 

Then there was the Raiders game. [Here comes the COVID excuse] 

Your bottomless well of Wentz excuses will be among the last to dry up. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah. They were. Especially Wentz. Go back and watch the film. There was plenty of yards and possibly scores just left on the field in the way of simple check downs to a wide open Taylor (you know, those “layups he needs to learn to make”) that died on the vine in favor of throws that were not there. 

Then there was the Raiders game. [Here comes the COVID excuse] 

Your bottomless well of Wentz excuses will be among the last to dry up. 

No one wants to make excuses up. But there are reasons. You can’t ignore everything that happened in camp and how it contributed to a slow start. Ballard even admitted covid had some effect in his season ending presser. We can’t keep switching QB every time something doesn’t go right. How is everyone supposed  to grow and have consistancy. Even Reich’s play calling suffers having to start over every year/

20 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

So some people actually think the move is to cut Wentz and trade for Jimmy G and then sign him to an extension? 

Cutting Wentz saves us what 13 of the 28 mil?   So that is a 15 million dollar hit.  Then trade a second and third for Jimmy and then sign him to a extension of at least 20+ mil per year?   All that for a lateral move?  

Like Ballard should be fired if that is the plan. 

Fired is exactly right. I doubt that is was Irsay has in mind either. How can we fix holes giving up draft picks every year. You eventually are going to run out of draft picks if you give up on the QB after a season. Then you have no picks to draft one.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but I can't see it vs a team with Mahomes. Allen, or Burrow on it in a playoff situation. I hope he proves me wrong. I am always positive but those last 2 weeks as me doing this ew throw up GIF

To be fair to Wentz, he was clearly not well during those last 2 weeks. I don't forgive him for putting himself in that situation so this is not at all an endorsement. But he played well for most of the year, so if we're stuck with him, it wouldn't be impossible to win with him. Just highly unlikely.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I want a second year. I think it’s stupid and dumb to switch QB after a year. There was a lot of weird things happen this year. I think it would be a ober reaction. Fix holes and quit blaming the QB for everything. If it had just been Wentz playing bad last two games ok. But it wasn’t.  We don’t have as good of a roster as people think. We were very close to making playoffs. We aren’t just going to get a different QB and be better all of a sudden. 

If we have another QB this fall I am probably done. I am sick of it. It’s not fun and players in offense can’t think it is fun either. It also hurts young players development.

You and I disagree pretty fundamentally on Wentz. But let's not let that turn us off to this team. I will probably have to live w/ Wentz as our QB next year and will root for our team regardless. I hope you do the same even if they trade Wentz. 

Look at it this way, if they suck next year, we can both at least look forward to better chances to land a good QB in the draft. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I figured it was beyond clear that he’s unhappy with the current QB situation at this point so I guess that’s why I didn’t figure it needed to be pointed out again.  I agree the big question is what can/will Ballard do?  This is going to be the decision that in all likely hood determines his future with the team.  Still knowing Irsay he wants/feels his team deserves a star QB.  I think he was more agreeing with that point than saying yeah we are in on one of these two specific QBs because both would have to be traded for.  Wilson has a no trade clause and so far has not listed the Colts as one of the teams he would take a trade too.  The Colts have also not been linked to Rodgers by any major NFL reporter.  Rodgers also has to say he still wants out of Green Bay first.  Reports late in the year were that him and Packers were making up so it’s possible he decides to go back there and isn’t available at all.

In each of the past 4 seasons, this team has had a different starting quarterback - you can't realistically expect to win consistently with that kind of constant turnover, especially for what is relatively considered as the most important position in all of football. 

We currently have a reasonably young, physically talented QB paired with a coach with whom he has enjoyed prior success with and trusts, if anyone can get the best out of him, Frank can.

I want to see a second season with Carson Wentz (preferably with a full training camp & a couple more offensive weapons) before I'd accept that he's just "not the guy" and that we can achieve great things with him under center, especially paired with a running back who just may be the NFL MVP.

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's irrelevant. Your proposal of getting either QB has no teeth to it because you can't provide me a trade package to make it possible.

I provided one but Seattle would have to take Wentz and Wilson would want to have to come here. There are plenty of trade packages that would work money wise. 

• Shive changed the title to Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

Archived