Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Can't look at it that way. 

Can't eliminate a divisional game (loss to Jax)

You'd have to remove Balt, TB, or LVR.

Those are all losses, and that's a good thing, but you'd have to do that for the other teams competing for a spot too. 

Well I do look at it that way. We don’t start 1-4 if online and Wentz hadn’t been injured in camp. We will have OTA this season too where finer details with timing are worked on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well I do look at it that way. We don’t start 1-4 if online and Wentz hadn’t been injured in camp. We will have OTA this season too where finer details with timing are worked on.

I'm talking specifically about your comment on the season ending before our Jax loss. 

You can't eliminate a division game. And you'd have to account for the same with other teams who were in the playoff hunt. 

31 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think getting Matt Ryan would help have the team continue to compete while waiting for the right opportunity to draft the right QB, as opposed to staying around middle of the league and not getting either better or worse. 

I think Ryan hasn't had a good defense in many a recent year now, and colts defense could benefit him. 

Not sure if Atlanta has any willingness to offer him though. 

I also think Ryan being more accurate would work well in Frank’s offense.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I also think Ryan being more accurate would work well in Frank’s offense.

I really like Ryan, but not sure I want another band aide.

And he was not good this year at all lol.. He really struggles if he doesn't have a good OL.

I'd have to look to be for sure, but I'm guessing Ryan's stats this year are worse than Wentz's, but he'd grade slightly higher.

6 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

Leonard and some of the oline missed a game completely and didn't play well in the last 2 games either so why all the blame on Wentz? Did Wentz get stuffed at the goal line? Did Wentz miss tackles and give up TD drives against one of the worst teams in the league the last game? JFC there's plenty of blame to go around for the epic collapse to the season!

Agreed there’s plenty of blame to go around. But the QB position shoulders more responsibility and not just because he touches the ball most often. The QB is a leadership position. 

Do you think Manning or Brady would have put the teams chances of winning in jeopardy by not getting vaccinated and thereby making that choice acceptable for other team members?

I know the Bucs were 100% vaccinated and I bet Brady would have not let a member of that offense, let alone his offensive line, put his chances of winning in jeopardy. 

Peyton Manning would have led by example as well.

Carson Wentz didn’t and he and the others cost us a chance to compete in the playoffs. But Carson bears more responsibility than the rest because of his role on the team like it or not.

2 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

Agreed there’s plenty of blame to go around. But the QB position shoulders more responsibility and not just because he touches the ball most often. The QB is a leadership position. 

Do you think Manning or Brady would have put the teams chances of winning in jeopardy by not getting vaccinated and thereby making that choice acceptable for other team members?

I know the Bucs were 100% vaccinated and I bet Brady would have not let a member of that offense, let alone his offensive line, put his chances of winning in jeopardy. 

Carson Wentz didn’t and he and the others cost us a chance to compete in the playoffs. But Carson bears more responsibility than the rest because of his role on the team like it or not.

Thrn Leonard and the oline should be cut. So is Rodgers a bad leader for not getting vaxed then lying about it.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

is Rodgers a bad leader

There's a lot of evidence that Rodgers is a bad leader without considering his vaccine situation.  That's kind of been building up over the years. 

It's a good thing for him he won a SB early in his career. He never had to deal with that year after year criticism for never winning the big one.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's a lot of evidence that Rodgers is a bad leader without considering his vaccine situation.  That's kind of been building up over the years. 

It's a good thing for him he won a SB early in his career. He never had to deal with that year after year criticism for never winning the big one.

His RBs, WRs and OL sure do love him... 

Aaron Jones has gushed over him (and I think just defended him this year). Adams and MVS have both said they'd want to follow join him if he left, and Rodgers said he wanted both. Pretty sure he's buddy buddy with Lazzard too. He's always goofing with his OL, and pretty sure he is good buds with DB (his LT).

We all likely define leadership differently, but those that surround him sure seem have his back. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

His RBs, WRs and OL sure do love him... 

Aaron Jones has gushed over him (and I think just defended him this year). Adams and MVS have both said they'd want to follow join him if he left, and Rodgers said he wanted both. Pretty sure he's buddy buddy with Lazzard too. He's always goofing with his OL, and pretty sure he is good buds with DB (his LT).

We all likely define leadership differently, but those that surround him sure seem have his back. 

Those are the guys there now. He's had other teammates and former teammates that clearly had issues with him. 

Edit: And it's possible that he used to not get along well with others, but now he does. Which might mean he wasn't a good leader, but is better now. 

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Those are the guys there now. He's had other teammates and former teammates that clearly had issues with him. 

Edit: And it's possible that he used to not get along well with others, but now he does. Which might mean he wasn't a good leader, but is better now. 

Adams and DB have been there for a while and are his biggest supporters.

He's a unique dude no doubt. Family issues, frack you attitude, etc.. 

But I've always liked him. Not everyone can be Mr Sunshine like Brady lol.. 

His supporting cast on O all seem to be tight right now, so he's doing something right. 

He's got a very nice streak of ladies going too, so guessing he can turn the charm on when he wants.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, Superman said:

I don't think the reason matters. This wasn't a preliminary, informal meeting where both sides expressed interest. The Colts interviewed McDaniels early in the process, then shut down their search after a week or so while the Patriots completed their season. We all knew that McDaniels was going to be the guy, it just wasn't official.

In that time, McDaniels committed to the Colts, allowed them to proceed with other hirings that he agreed to, agreed to an announcement, and scheduled a press conference. I don't think any "reasons" that came up at the last minute wouldn't have been discussed beforehand. And I don't think the Colts hit him with a bait and switch in the final contract.

I think the story that came out two years later -- while McDaniels was trying to get back in the conversation as a potential HC candidate -- was an attempt to rehab his image, soften the harsh view that had been taken of him, and quiet some of the criticism that came up every time he was mentioned as candidate. 

It also doesn't fit with what we know about the way the Colts operate. They are not a 'my way or the highway' organization, Ballard is not that kind of GM, and Irsay is not that kind of owner. Ballard is also a thorough, thoughtful decision maker, who wants to build consensus and have everyone on the same page. The idea that major organizational structure questions were left unanswered, and suddenly became an issue at the signing table, doesn't fit with what we know and have seen.

All that said, whether he did what he did to spite the Colts, or just changed his mind because it didn't feel right, or whatever, it was irresponsible, and unnecessary, and it left the Colts hanging out to dry. And I think he is solely responsible for the way it went down. Any attempt to reframe the situation as if the Colts were unreasonable, or he wasn't previously aware of the organizational structure, any of that... it's nonsense, IMO. 

I'll go one further. What McDaniels did was cowardly. 

14 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I was in the camp wanting to go after Rodgers but Wilson would look good in a colts uniform. I would love to have him.

I would rather have Wilson than Rodgers, reason being is he is only 33 and he wouldn't be a band aid. He could be our franchise for the next 5 years without question. Rodgers is a top 10 QB of all-time but is older, to me Wilson is arguably top 20 all-time so I know we could win a SB with him. Pair him up with Taylor, that would be fun to watch. How a trade would work for Wilson is tough to call. It would probably have to involve a 1st round pick in 2023 and 1st round pick in 2024 + Seattle taking on Wentz so Wentz would have to be part of the package. They would need a QB and Wentz is better than average, better than anyone they would have. Just guesses but I would say they would want 2 1's + Wentz at worse. I would even throw in Hines if we could get Wilson and I think Hines is good, he would be a huge asset to any offense. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather have Wilson than Rodgers, reason being is he is only 33 and he wouldn't be a band aid. He could be our franchise for the next 5 years without question. Rodgers is a top 10 QB of all-time but is older, to me Wilson is arguably top 20 all-time so I know we could win a SB with him. Pair him up with Taylor, that would be fun to watch. How a trade would work for Wilson is tough to call. It would probably have to involve a 1st round pick in 2023 and 1st round pick in 2024 + Seattle taking on Wentz so Wentz would have to be part of the package. They would need a QB and Wentz is better than average, better than anyone they would have. Just guesses but I would say they would want 2 1's + Wentz at worse. I would even throw in Hines if we could get Wilson and I think Hines is good, he would be a huge asset to any offense. 

Salary Cap is of course involved so that is why I added Wentz and Hines to the equation. 

20 hours ago, Los1sol said:

I don't know if Peyton would have influenced the entire team to get vaccinated BUT I BET the team would have embraced chips& Pepsi.... maybe Eli would have helped too. :funny:

GIF by The Good Place

On 2/2/2022 at 5:27 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Steelers don’t usually use FA for QB.

Yea, neither did the Colts or Pats or Saints or any other team that had HoF level QB’s for the better part of 2 decades.

Why would the Steelers have used free agency for a QB when the had Ben for the last 16 or 17 years?

On 2/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Other teams had injuries and other issues too though. If you take away all injuries, etc., we may have finished with an even worse record.

7 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Other teams had injuries and other issues too though. If you take away all injuries, etc., we may have finished with an even worse record.

We had a new QB with new team mates. If Wentz was in his 2nd or 3rd year with the colts Ir wouldn’t of mattered. People on here have even talked about Manning when he missed some time taking a little bit to get going.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, shasta519 said:

Irsay seems a lot more vocal than I remember in a long time. Like he's almost setting up a big move.

Brady got drafted at what number...#199 in the 6th round. won 7 Super Bowls

Russell Wilson was drafted at #75 in the 3rd round and won a super bowl and been in two.

Luck and Manning won two superbowls and were drafted at #1 and still only made it to 4 super bowls.

We dont need to trade away our future, but can draft a rough diamond through the draft.

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Russell Wilson was drafted at #75 in the 3rd round and won a super bowl and been in two.

Luck and Manning won two superbowls and were drafted at #1 and still only made it to 4 super bowls.

We dont need to trade away our future, but can draft a rough diamond through the draft.

I agree. And I hope they try to find one…starting this year. 

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Of course! Just draft the greatest QB of all time in the 6th round. Why didn't anyone else think of that?

Just now, Mackrel829 said:

Of course! Just draft the greatest QB of all time in the 6th round. Why didn't anyone else think of that?

I know some think it easy to draft a Tom, or Peyton, or Luck. One thing we could do is trade for Wilson though if we really wanted to win a SB. I have read on several websites where we could package a deal involving Wentz and Hines to match the Salary Cap but we would have to give to up our #1 in 2023 and 2024. I am ok with that though. Wilson has 5 great years left, he is only 33. 

If Wilson wants out of Seattle then that is fair deal, they would not want a QB that doesn't want to be there, Wentz is better than average (better than anyone they have) + Hines is very good, and they get 2 1st round picks. We are actually giving up a lot but I think with a QB like Wilson we could win it all. We have Taylor, great O.Line, and a D that creates turnovers. Pittman is a #1 and Wilson can make #2's look like 1's at times.

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

You do realize Brady and Wilson are by far the exceptions and not the rule right?  Other than those two, Foles and Brees every QB to win the Super Bowl dating back to the 2002 season (so the past 20 years) was a first round pick.  Remember Foles took over for an injured first round pick and Brees was the first pick of the second round you are really talking about Brady and Wilson and of those Wilson won one Super Bowl in that time.  So you are really talking about Brady.  

5 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I would trade for Wilson because with Wentz we aren't winning a SB if that is what you want. It will be another wasted year if we don't trade for Wilson or Rodgers. People can give me a sad face for saying that but does anyone think we win a SB with Wentz, I knew Tennessee would be 1 and done with the so-called great Tannehill and they were loaded on D and WR. They also had Henry with fresh legs and HFA. I called it, I said Cincy will waltz right in there and stomped them The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I won big money off that.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would trade for Wilson because with Wentz we aren't winning a SB if that is what you want. It will be another wasted year if we don't trade for Wilson or Rodgers. People can give me a sad face for saying that but does anyone think we win a SB with Wentz, I knew Tennessee would be 1 and done with the so-called great Tannehill and they were loaded on D and WR. They also had Henry with fresh legs and HFA. I called it, I said Cincy will waltz right in there and stomped them The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I won big money off that.

@TaylorTheStudMuffin, why the confused face, I posted on here that Cincy would beat Tennessee and Tannehill would choke. I posted that probably 10 times. You confuse me in reality haha .

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@TaylorTheStudMuffin, why the confused face, I posted on here that Cincy would beat Tennessee and Tannehill would choke. I posted that probably 10 times. You confuse me in reality haha .

I think we need to hold back on saying we aren’t winning anything with Carson. Too early to say that if he is here this fall.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think we need to hold back on saying we aren’t winning anything with Carson. Too early to say that if he is here this fall.

Fair enough but I can't see it vs a team with Mahomes. Allen, or Burrow on it in a playoff situation. I hope he proves me wrong. I am always positive but those last 2 weeks as me doing this ew throw up GIF

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but I can't see it vs a team with Mahomes. Allen, or Burrow on it in a playoff situation. I hope he proves me wrong. I am always positive but those last 2 weeks as me doing this ew throw up GIF

i would encourage Colts fans to watch Kurt Warners Wentz breakdown as many times as it takes to get Warners message.

Surely Reich did everything he knew how to give Wentz the plays he likes to run. And Warner showed Wentz screwing those plays up with his eyes, and his thinking. He isn't "coachable" because he a knucklehead. 

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don’t trust Irsay and Ballard right now. I have a feeling from they are going to do some dumb stuff.  It doesn’t have anything to do with Carson’s play. I really don’t like some of the stuff that has come out of either of their mouths.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

i would encourage Colts fans to watch Kurt Warners Wentz breakdown as many times as it takes to get Warners message.

Surely Reich did everything he knew how to give Wentz the plays he likes to run. And Warner showed Wentz screwing those plays up with his eyes, and his thinking. He isn't "coachable" because he a knucklehead. 

He had TY wide open for the clincher and choked. Then we lost to Jacks when I was talking smack when he had a 4.4 QBR, that is all I need to know, :thmup:. Tannehill is the same in Tennessee, can't get it done.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I just don’t trust Irsay and Ballard right now. I have a feeling from they are going to do some dumb stuff.  It doesn’t have anything to do with Carson’s play. I really don’t like some of the stuff that has come out of either of their mouths.

We have a good roster but the QB is just wrong for this team, JMO. We also need at least one more pass rusher that is good and another CB that can play consistent.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have a good roster but the QB is just wrong for this team, JMO. We also need at least one more pass rusher that is good and another CB that can play consistent.

I want a second year. I think it’s stupid and dumb to switch QB after a year. There was a lot of weird things happen this year. I think it would be a ober reaction. Fix holes and quit blaming the QB for everything. If it had just been Wentz playing bad last two games ok. But it wasn’t.  We don’t have as good of a roster as people think. We were very close to making playoffs. We aren’t just going to get a different QB and be better all of a sudden. 

If we have another QB this fall I am probably done. I am sick of it. It’s not fun and players in offense can’t think it is fun either. It also hurts young players development.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

before someone makes a big deal out of this I am sure Irsay liked this more because of the line about the Colts deserving a great QB than it being a sign they will go after Wilson or Rodgers.

I guess that is one way of looking at it.  If so it reinforces the thought that he is not happy with our current quarterback situation.  What is Ballard supposed to take from  this?   Does he do anything about it?  Is it status quo for another year at quarterback knowing the owner is clearly agitated and unhappy?  He didn’t have to like the tweet.   But he did.  It sure feels like it could be another surprised filled off season.

Archived