Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seen all of Wentz I need to see/ Give us 1 good reason to keep Carlson Wentz. (merge)

bleed blue4life

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasons to keep Wentz are one; sunk cost fallacy. Two; Because most people get a second chance.

I think the writing is on the wall anyway. There's a scenario that lines up where we can cut Wentz in 2023 for free and so if next season is a failure, you cut Wentz and you clean house. You fire everybody, get rid of the QB, and that starts the rebuild.

18 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The reasons to keep Wentz are one; sunk cost fallacy. Two; Because most people get a second chance.

I think the writing is on the wall anyway. There's a scenario that lines up where we can cut Wentz in 2023 for free and so if next season is a failure, you cut Wentz and you clean house. You fire everybody, get rid of the QB, and that starts the rebuild.

If Frank does not win the division with any upgrades Ballard makes, I think Frank and Wentz are gone together after 2023 because Frank's wagon is hitched to Wentz at this point. If that is Ballard's plan, Eberflus probably stays for 1 more year, IMO, for a last hurrah.

But first, let us see what upgrades Ballard makes.

41 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I get you are all up in your feels right now... but I implore you to please go watch that 2011 year of football again and then re-write that post with a straight face and no hint of sarcasm.

Time heals all wounds, but that Curtis Painter year is not a wound that should ever have healed because it was putrid.

Painters worst outing still out produced Wentz worst... but yeah, at least painter was cheap lol

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Frank does not win the division with any upgrades Ballard makes, I think Frank and Wentz are gone together after 2023 because Frank's wagon is hitched to Wentz at this point. If that is Ballard's plan, Eberflus probably stays for 1 more year, IMO, for a last hurrah.

I doubt Ballard fires Frank Reich. I don't think he has the free rein to fire Reich and it's hard to fire the HC when a lot of the failings come from a lack of personnel at key positions which showed up at key moments. Pass rush? Nonexistent. Pass catchers? Well Pitt had > 1000yds and no one else had over 400, the only other team with that kind of disparity was Washington. It's a passing league and even if you're building a running team (as Ballard and New England are), you still need respectability in the passing game.

I do think the rational choice to make in the GM's position is load up as heavily as he can this draft, and get ready for the 2023 draft in the QB hunt. I think no matter what kind of season Carson has next year, his replacement will be drafted in 23....and rightly so because i cannot see a future where Wentz shows the kind of consistency we need to be a perennial contender. This is year 5 of Ballard's rein? Put up or shut up.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That's the problem, and I'm afraid you're right. I'm not sure Wentz is really the problem (though he may be). Try to solve only one variable at at time, and I'd start with Frank Reich.

I don't have a legitimate reason to keep Carson Wentz. I've tried to keep an open mind but just like a lot of folks, we've seen all we needed to see. Wentz is just a slightly better version of Jacoby Brissett. Their failures and similarities are almost a mirror image. They're both inaccurate, sail the ball high on numerous throws, athletic, slow decision makers, rocket arm, have their "wow" moments, and hold onto the ball for too long.

Jacoby went 7-8 as a full-time starter with the Colts and Carson is 9-8. Both seasons, we were close and missed the playoffs. In all my seasons as a hardcore Colts fan holding it down in So Cal, I've never seen the passing game look so poor and inefficient. I never thought I'd say this but Philip Rivers was clearly the better option. Being more athletic and having a better arm isn't always the winning recipe. Jacoby showed us that already. History has a strange way of repeating itself.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

For what? He's a $27M anchor for next season. I can't think of any team that would even want him. PHI was fortunate that IND had Reich at HC and were in need of a QB. 

Even with a weak QB draft, I struggle to find any team that would take on his $27M contract, let alone give up draft assets.

Calm down! I'm not talking about Wentz. Originally this thread was about the pipedream that the OP had about a return of Andrew Luck. I said, if that happened ( which it wont) is trade him. Creative editing by mods has changed this thread.

52 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Calm down! I'm not talking about Wentz. Originally this thread was about the pipedream that the OP had about a return of Andrew Luck. I said, if that happened ( which it wont) is trade him. Creative editing by mods has changed this thread.

My bad. Didn't know you were talking about Luck. Also didn't know the thread had changed.

I don't think he'll change, he's been in the league 6 yrs still demonstrate this type of lackluster performance especially when it counted.  Reich won't eat crow by lobbying to let him go, but the right thing to do for this team is develop a new QB moving forward.  Maybe Ehlinger might beat him out in preseason and Ehlinger ends up the starting QB for 2022, hope so.

Archived