Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kicker

CurBeatElite

So Badgley missed a FG last night and got very lucky on another which he initially missed badly but got another shot due to NE being offside.

Badgley has mostly been solid this year but last night seemed to be pretty shaky.

I'm curious how big a leash he has, and if we may see Blankenship back soon due to that performance. 

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

So Badgley missed a FG last night and got very lucky on another which he initially missed badly but got another shot due to NE being offside.

Badgley has mostly been solid this year but last night seemed to be pretty shaky.

I'm curious how big a leash he has, and if we may see Blankenship back soon due to that performance. 

He missed in the Texans game too.

Frank said they would ride the hot hand with Badgley.  That has now ended IMO.  If the Colts agree and Hot Rod is healthy I expect Hot Rod back this week.  I know some think Hot Rod was in a legit competition with Badgley but if you listen to what the Colts have said it didn’t sound that way to me.  Hot Rod is their kicker in their eyes.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it’s time to bring back Blankenship.  But we all know Frank.  He’s liable to give Badgley another chance.  He did it with Adam.

I don't really think Adam's situation is comparable to this. First, Adam is likely a first ballot HOFer, who had a leadership role on the Colts for many years and is widely considered the best K (and most clutch) to ever play in the nfl. Second, Adam was our starter going into th e year. Third, they were working guys out practically every week and Adam beat them out in practice. 

He re,  Hot Rod was our starter going into the year. Badgley has no leadership role. Until the last two games, he gave us no reason to consider replacing him, though we still had Hot Rod hanging around waiting for him to screw up.

If Rod is fully healthy, it seems like a much easier decision to bring him back than to replace Adam with an unknown. 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it’s time to bring back Blankenship.  But we all know Frank.  He’s liable to give Badgley another chance.  He did it with Adam.

Badgley does not have near the history Adam did that bought him that long leash.  Also, Badgely was not the established starter like Adam was.  He was a backup playing very well like Reed was earlier this year on the line.  Once Reed came back to earth Frank went back to Glow.  I expect he will do the same thing with Badgely and Hot Rod as well.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Badgley does not have near the history Adam did that bought him that long leash.  Also, Badgely was not the established starter like Adam was.  He was a backup playing very well like Reed was earlier this year on the line.  Once Reed came back to earth Frank went back to Glow.  I expect he will do the same thing with Badgely and Hot Rod as well.

Yet today Reich made comments saying he is not planning on bringing in Rigo.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s been out there for quite some time that he is ready to go.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/11/02/colts-havent-talked-about-who-kick-when-blankenship-healthy/6257038001/

That’s the last I heard about it other than Frank saying once in a while hot Rod is still working through it.  I did hear Frank say Hot Rod COULD kick once but that doesn’t mean hot Rod is fully healthy.  Why bring him back if he’s not fully healthy if you don’t have too?

Badgley in his IND career: 91.7 FG%, 100 XP%

Blankenship in his IND career: 84.3 FG%, 94.3 XP%

I don't think Badgley should go, nor do I think either of them should be the 2022 kicker

Reich has had Badgley's back for the last 2 weeks

I personally think Rodrigo is healthy and that Frank has his pick at kicker out there 

16 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I don't think Badgley should go, nor do I think either of them should be the 2022 kicker

I personally think Rodrigo is healthy and that Frank has his pick at kicker out there 

I agree with all of this.

25 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I still think Blankenship is better for the team once he is healthy. Badgley is fantastic within 40 yards but isn't good outside of 40 and that really limits our ability to score, Blankenship is the better distance kicker of the two and aside from the Baltimore game (which he shouldn't have been playing in that game with his injury) Blankenship has been good this year with only one 51 yard miss.

35 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Well said and i agree we need to look into an upgrade at place kicker this off-season. 

Archived