Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jags at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to admit I thought we were going to blow another double digit lead in the 4th qtr.  thank goodness we didn’t.  No real deep shots today.  Wentz was really under a lot of pressure.  Flus is going to be the death of me.  We had a player named Jones playing safety today.  I couldn’t believe how slow he was.  He’s the best we got?  For crying out loud sign Boston this week.  We need a real FS.  A ugly win for sure but it counts.   On to Buffalo.  I think we’re going to bring it.  Win number 6!  

Josh Jones our fastest Safety by quite a bit and vet who started 13 games last season (25 career starts) and was a former 2nd round draft pick. Today he looked like he was running in quicksand at times especially on that td run, made a nice goal line stuff later. We should have T.J. Carrie or Jahlel Addae starting (Addae cant be brought up again from P.S. so likely signed to regular roster this week), Odum played better today than previous games but was benched, he def is not the answer. Tre Boston looking to sign with a contender maybe getting back to 5-5 looks good in his eyes. We shall see.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure they have a good D front, but we have an all pro and a probowl caliber RT and center. We should win those battles. Why are we paying this Oline that much money when they cannot care of business. To their defence. I think things would be much different if we have a wr who could scare thr opposing defence. I say the team finishes 7 and 10.

The Jags have given up 2 100 yard rushers this year,  Henry,  and JT.      Your negatively leads me to believe you would rather be right than the Colts to succeed.   

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Jags have given up 2 100 yard rushers this year,  Henry,  and JT.      Your negatively leads me to believe you would rather be right than the Colts to succeed.   

Jags brought their 'A' game today after the 1st Qtr. They were daring Wentz to beat them and just keying on Taylor. I think 1 long pass of 40+ yards would've put a stop to that but we never did it. We were way too conservative today. The D played well for a change and came up big when they had too. Jags D.Line is very talented and can't be taken lightly, ask Buffalo.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jags brought their 'A' game today after the 1st Qtr. They were daring Wentz to beat them and just keying on Taylor. I think 1 long pass of 40+ yards would've put a stop to that but we never did it. We were way too conservative today. The D played well for a change and came up big when they had too. Jags D.Line is very talented and can't be taken lightly, ask Buffalo.

Jags are 28th in sacks and 22nd in pressures.

It's more about our OL who is getting better, but still worst in the league overall in QB protection per PP and 23rd overall (run + pass) by PF, and the Bills with an overall PF rank of #18

2 hours ago, relkins said:

I think Frank forgets there's a second half

We script about 15 plays each week. After that Frank takes over and it seem to get bad from there. Taylor had 93 yards in the first quarter and 24 the next 3 quarters. Would have fed him much more. Reed got a horrible holding call on a long run by Taylor that he leveled a ref on. Terrible call but Reed still got pulled. Taylor had 93 yds to that point. We need more offensive brain power to call plays because after we run out of scripted play we suck. I know I sound like a broken record.

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Or maybe Jags are getting better.

I think the Jags are a bit better perhaps than snaps and ranks, but they're not good.

They've got a few good pieces like Smoot and Allen, but overall they're mediocre at best.

Smoot didn't do much at all today in terms of QBH or sacks. Allen had 3 of their 8 QB Hits, along with 5 other very mediocre players... 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the Jags are a bit better perhaps than snaps and ranks, but they're not good.

They've got a few good pieces like Smoot and Allen, but overall they're mediocre at best.

Smoot didn't do much at all today in terms of QBH or sacks. Allen had 3 of their 8 QB Hits, along with 5 other very mediocre players... 

They played pretty great against the bills last week.   Will have to see how they play going forward 

I would love, once in my life, to have a defense in Indianapolis that stepped on someone's throat.  Biggest play of the game:  17-0, 3rd and long, Jags are teetering.  Eberflus, as always, plays soft as crap - easy completion.  Next play - 60 yard TD.  Instead of a laugher, it's a game.  

Frank?  For someone who preaches not getting too high or too low, his play calling is schizophrenic.  A few weeks ago you were taking 20 downfield shots a game, now you're taking none.

Taylor was still 5.5 yards per rush too. Jags shut him down after that first quarter. Reich even continued to run it. Didn’t stop. 

Yes the oline should of played better but that jags front seven is coming along nicely. They fix that offense and they are going to be really good.

Reich said no injuries after the game. We will have to see how Leonard’s ankle does this week.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Probably because they weren't having success running it

The final score was 6-9.... 

When you only try 9 times (less than 20%), you're simply not giving it enough chance, and you're certainly not going to keep Ds honest. You become one dimensional. And when 2 of those 47 times are INTs, and zero TDs, you're naturally going to lose. 

The week before... The Seahawks led by Geno Smith, ran it 25 times and threw it 24 times. Their running game only averaged 2.8 yards per carry, but Seattle beat them 31-7...  Geno meanwhile had 2 TDs and zero INTs. Is Geno better than Allen, or was the game plan and balance better?

12 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Well Frank also kept playing him wide which should not be the case anymore.

Yup. Let's take our fastest WR, and smallest, and use him like and X WR out wide on shallow possession routes... 

Not the best use our our only true Z/traditional-slot type WR.

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The final score was 6-9.... 

When you only try 9 times (less than 20%), you're simply not giving it enough chance, and you're certainly not going to keep Ds honest. You become one dimensional. And when 2 of those 47 times are INTs, and zero TDs, you're naturally going to lose. 

The week before... The Seahawks led by Geno Smith, ran it 25 times and threw it 24 times. Their running game only averaged 2.8 yards per carry, but Seattle beat them 31-7...  Geno meanwhile had 2 TDs and zero INTs. Is Geno better than Allen, or was the game plan and balance better?

The bills don't run the ball at all.   It wasn't a departure of what they do.   

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think it’s funny how announcers were just praising mahomes for throwing left handed and scream at Wentz when he does it.

The announcers today were so bad. One of them said Andrew Wentz.:yahoo:

A side line reporter called him Andrew Wentz

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Part of that is you need time to go deep.  Wentz did not have time as the Jags were blitzing more guys than the Colts could block.  They tried play action a couple of times and Wentz ended up running for his life.  Finally on the last drive they adjusted and stopped just running Taylor into the blitz and trying screen passes that the Jags were all over and started doing quick passes beyond the line of scrimmage and what do you know they started moving the ball.  Had they done that sooner they would have backed the jags blitzes off and then been able to go deep.  

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Wants was 22/34 and Taylor had 21 rushes. What more do people want. Wentz was still 65% passing.

More than two drives in the second half that aren’t three and outs.  This is why you can’t just look at numbers.  The Colts had a great first quarter which heavily skews the numbers when you look at the numbers after the first quarter.  

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Rock is turning into a nice corner. Going to be interesting if Rodgers starts again next week or if Rhodes is bsck. Big test for Rodgers but he did almost have to INT in the playoff game.

Rock is going to get a big test this coming week too with Diggs.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

More than two drives in the second half that aren’t three and outs.  This is why you can’t just look at numbers.  The Colts had a great first quarter which heavily skews the numbers when you look at the numbers after the first quarter.  

Rock is going to get a big test this coming week too with Diggs.

Well give jags credit. This stuff that colts are always suppose to get the upper hand isn’t realistic. Not everything is going up be perfect every week. Jags adjusted after the first quarter. Give them credit. Reich also kept running which he hasn’t always done.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Part of that is you need time to go deep.  Wentz did not have time as the Jags were blitzing more guys than the Colts could block.  

Move the pocket, use some misdirection.  You saw quite a bit of that last week, not much this week.  

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Well give jags credit. This stuff that colts are always suppose to get the upper hand isn’t realistic. Not everything is going up be perfect every week. Jags adjusted after the first quarter. Give them credit. Reich also kept running which he hasn’t always done.

Yes the Jags played well, no one is going to deny that.  However, as a fan of the Colts I am more concerned that the Colts didn’t adjust to what the jags were doing until it was almost too late.  

Lol. We sound like Buffalo's fans last week. Couldn't adjust, bad coaching, Allen overrated. 

Fact is Jags d looked super again. Maybe they found something, but the Buffalo game doesn't seem like a fluke right now. 

They played well. We weren't our sharpest, but I think they had more to do with it. We couldn't really go deep since Wentz had no time. They did not abandon the run game game.  It was just ineffective. 

The only thing that really bothered me was Wentz still making those crazy throws. 

- Defense by far had its best game of the season .   It seemed that there was a lot of more man coverage than what we typically see and I don't think its coincidence that we also forced the lowest opposition QB completion % of the season.  Going forward, if there is any chance, Eberflus has to play those aggressive coverages more and live with the consequences.  The Cover 3, Cover 2, quarters shells he prefers are way too easy for most NFL QBs to pick apart with the current pass rush especially when they are poorly disguised.  

- The offense completely disappeared for 3 quarters after a pretty good 1st.  Very disappointing performance by the O-line considering all 5 starters were playing.  With all the $$ and draft capital in that unit, the play in both pass pro and run block has to be more consistent and present week to week.  It is hard to do anything as a unit when a supposed strength turns into a liablity.

- Also frustrating that Wentz was still making dump "flip" and left handed tosses still after the Titans disaster.  That is something that should never be seen again.  I could somewhat understand the Titans INT based on game situation, etc., but there is no excuse for those types of throws on either of those two plays today.  If an appropriate football throw can't be made, then eat the sack.  Very lucky either of those did not result in a turnover.  

- Overall, its going to come down to winning at least 2 out of the Buffalo, NE, LV games AND taking care of business on road at Houston and Jax.  We will see if the team has it in them.  

I think colts are in a good position to get that 7th seed. Raiders look like they are imploding. Chargers are not as good as they looked early. AFC North is going to beat up on each other. Steelers don’t look great and they have a very herd schedule ahead. Colts are going to have to win some of these hard games like the Bills though. 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts rookies out played the Jags rookie.  Paye lived in the Jags back field and had several pressures and got his first half sack today.  Then Hurricane Dayo got the strip for the W.

Defense was much better today, playing the Jags helped with that.  Still more blitzes and tighter coverage and it yielded better results other than when they went soft a few times and the Jags had success.

Ive defended Frank’s coaching most of the season outside of his play calling.but today was not good.  They just never adjusted on offense.  The Jags just kept blitzing one more than the Colts could block and the Colts kept trying to pound it into the line and throw screens that weren’t there all day.  Finally on the last drive they started to throw it down the field a little bit and it worked when Wentz wasn’t wild.

Speaking of Wentz easily his worst game he’s played since the first Titans game.  He wasn’t reading the field well, the pressure clearly bothered him, he was wild on his throws at times, and he needs to stop this left hand throw stuff.  
The corners were lights out today.  Rock was basically a shut down corner today as the Jags didn’t test him.  Moore played his best game of the season.  Rodgers was very good on the other side too,  honestly once they got out of the zone play scared of the deep pass the corners are much better.  Trust them to be a little more aggressive.  
Special teams was really good.  One blocked punt, close on another, and put heat on a third punt.  Badgley has still yet to mess.  Thank goodness a kicker finally missed vs the Colts too.

Regarding Rock, he had a really nice pass breakup that saved a first down.  I think it was on third down.  It was a very sweet play.

Archived