Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Braden Smith & Kwity Paye injuries

BProland85

With Paye our and Dayo not playing, we basically don't have anyone from the draft playing, and we let people go in the offseason.  Clearly we're a worse team until Paye is back and hopefully Dayo can perform.  Wishing Kwity and Smith the best because we desperately need them.

16 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

With Paye our and Dayo not playing, we basically don't have anyone from the draft playing, and we let people go in the offseason.  Clearly we're a worse team until Paye is back and hopefully Dayo can perform.  Wishing Kwity and Smith the best because we desperately need them.

Granson is playing, but not much. Same with Strachan.

19 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I would argue.Lewis and Turay getting more snaps might make us better.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I would argue.Lewis and Turay getting more snaps might make us better.

I agree that it's good Turay and Lewis are getting more snaps, and it looks like they're starting to improve.  It's just frustrating that we really didn't improve our roster from last year, and those that played well last year are not playing as well so far this year - granted it's probably because of the wacky camp and injuries this season and playing SB contenders early on, but it's still worrying.

15 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I agree that it's good Turay and Lewis are getting more snaps, and it looks like they're starting to improve.  It's just frustrating that we really didn't improve our roster from last year, and those that played well last year are not playing as well so far this year - granted it's probably because of the wacky camp and injuries this season and playing SB contenders early on, but it's still worrying.

They are playing well maybe contract year :thinking: 

36 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Ballard needed to see what these guys had since they are in contract years. Maybe we should of kept one of Houston  or Autry.  instead of letting both leave but it was important to find out what these young kids have.  Maybe they improve as the year goes on. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, Stephen said:

Yea this drafty class has disappointed so far

I agree with you. Kwity looks like your average d end guy... Nothing special. And he can't stay on the field apparently. 

Dayo fits the typical colts mold by being injured and unavailable. I assume he will underperform next year but get a rehab pass. 

4 games in and ballards draft class looks boring, and about what you would expect. Aka, no Metcalf guys, but lots of Campbell guys. 

1 hour ago, Ratking said:

I agree with you. Kwity looks like your average d end guy... Nothing special. And he can't stay on the field apparently. 

Dayo fits the typical colts mold by being injured and unavailable. I assume he will underperform next year but get a rehab pass. 

4 games in and ballards draft class looks boring, and about what you would expect. Aka, no Metcalf guys, but lots of Campbell guys. 

I screamed Rousseau from the top of my lungs since January...I'm not knocking Kwity he is good, his numbers do show how good he can contain and set an edge. I just knew Rousseau was a different animal.

1 hour ago, Ratking said:

Just like Strachan should be getting more targets than PC.

3 hours ago, Ratking said:

So far agree on Paye. Haven’t seen any flash from him. Just a average guy who will play well but won’t take the pass rush to the next level. Ballard needs to start evaluating the DE position different in the draft. Why can other teams have DE contributing and flashing already that went after the colts picked at 21.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I screamed Rousseau from the top of my lungs since January...I'm not knocking Kwity he is good, his numbers do show how good he can contain and set an edge. I just knew Rousseau was a different animal.

Rousseau looked really good last night.  That long reach is going to provide years of headaches for opposing quarterbacks…just as it did for Mahomes.

But Kwity is our guy.  Way, way too soon to be making any sort of conclusions.  We’re 4 games in, and he’s been hurt.

Everybody who knows anything was saying from the get go to be patient.  Not everything desirable happens right away…in fact, most don’t.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

So far agree on Paye. Haven’t seen any flash from him. Just a average guy who will play well but won’t take the pass rush to the next level.

absolutely disagree. He flashed big time in the preseason and was one of the highest graded players in pre-season, then went on to record 8 tackles (6 solo), 1 TFL, and fumble recovery in 89 total regular season snaps (Buckner has had 195 snaps for comparison). He's flashed plenty. He just needs to get and stay healthy.

Why can other teams have DE contributing and flashing already that went after the colts picked at 21.

Who should we have picked instead of Paye that is already contributing?

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

absolutely disagree. He flashed big time in the preseason and was one of the highest graded players in pre-season, then went on to record 8 tackles (6 solo), 1 TFL, and fumble recovery in 89 total snaps (Buckner has had 195 snaps for comparison). He's flashed plenty. He just needs to get and stay healthy.

Who should we have picked instead of Paye that is already contributing?

That was preseason though. I am not saying he won’t be good. He very well might be.

Well the guy the Bills took was drafted at 30. I think there was a guy taken in the second round that has also shown a lot of flash. I can’t think of his name though.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, Wentzszn said:

Ballard needed to see what these guys had since they are in contract years. Maybe we should of kept one of Houston  or Autry.  instead of letting both leave but it was important to find out what these young kids have.  Maybe they improve as the year goes on. 

Have.  Or 've.  And they tried to keep Autry, to a point.... TN gave him a lot more of what he wanted.

So far agree on Paye. Haven’t seen any flash from him. Just a average guy who will play well but won’t take the pass rush to the next level. Ballard needs to start evaluating the DE position different in the draft. Why can other teams have DE contributing and flashing already that went after the colts picked at 21.

Shocked Cosmo Kramer GIF

Why are you comparing rookies after a month?   Especially when Paye has only played TWO GAMES?!?     Hello?!?

Why are you telling Ballard he has to change what he does based on a MONTH?!?   Hello?!?

What a terrible take….        :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why are you comparing rookies after a month?   Especially when Paye has only played TWO GAMES?!?     Hello?!?

Why are you telling Ballard he has to change what he does based on a MONTH?!?   Hello?!?

Just saying there is still something missing with this team. Some is talent but there is something else I can’t quite put my finger on. Paye will be fine. Whether he can be a difference maker is still to be determined. We kind of play a little to soft. We some some more guys that play with a edge. A couple more Leonard’s or Nelson’s  in personality would help.

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That was preseason though. I am not saying he won’t be good. He very well might be.

Playing that well in the preseason is still him flashing his ability. He's graded out extremely well in the run game and not too bad in pass rush over 2 regular season games played.

Your post insinuated that he wasn't good (hasn't flashed), and won't be good (won't take the pass rush to the next level).

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well the guy the Bills took was drafted at 30. I think there was a guy taken in the second round that has also shown a lot of flash. I can’t think of his name though.

I already went in on Rousseau in the thread on him. Essentially, he's an athletic freak that has made the most out of lucky opportunities. His college tape wasn't indicative of high level NFL play, because he hardly ever won off the edge against OT's and got a lot of his production as an unblocked rusher or lining up inside over OG's where he was just too fast for the average college OG. He's had some good moments, but I'm not entirely sold on him yet.

I'm assuming you're talking about Azeez Ojulari (NYG), but wasn't a scheme fit for us at all and is a 3-4 OLB.

As it was said above, Paye has only played 2 games and we're only on week 5. It takes time for players to develop. Some catch on quicker, but don't get much better. Some take a bit longer, but are better in the long run.

I just think Ballard is going to have to break his mold and go out and get a couple difference makers in FA. Waiting for guys  to develop and for everything to fall into place is just not trying to win a SB. Too many things happen in this league and if you wait around for the perfect time it will never happen. 

This off season will be big. I think they now have their QB. So will he now go and get a couple pieces to finally take this team to the next level. We just don’t seem to play with a edge the elite teams do.

If we give Nelson the money he deserves we won't have much money to spend in FA. This is the path Ballard has chosen and I doubt he will change now. He will make small to medium additions in FA and will pay his drafted players that he likes. For good or bad this is what we should expect. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

If we give Nelson the money he deserves we won't have much money to spend in FA. This is the path Ballard has chosen and I doubt he will change now. He will make small to medium additions in FA and will pay his drafted players that he likes. For good or bad this is what we should expect. 

Or maybe he trades or releases someone no  one expects to make room for a difference maker. Injuries happen and guys retire and get older I just do not like waiting around because waiting for everything to come together will probably not happen.

Saying this though if he just goes and gets Wentz another weapon and a corner who is young and experienced would make me happy. We can probably get a WR in the early rounds of the draft that will contribute right away: I think corner is a necessity in FA. He had not been good at finding them in the draft. No one wants to wait around 2 years for a corner to develop.

Something else I have been thinking about is when is the media and fans going to quit saying Ballard just needs more time. Or players just need more time. It’s time to take the next step. Enough with excuses. Is everyone still going to be saying this still in five years. Ballard needs to grow and evolve a little bit. His philosophy of building in the draft is the right one but he needs to supplement more with FA.

The roster as a whole outside QB seems to be getting weaker instead of stronger.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with u it has only been 2 games and I liked Paye coming out. However as Dungy said  history can tell u alot. Ballard's record of drafting Dlinemen sucks. So, I think people have less faith in Ballard then Paye.

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree with u it has only been 2 games and I liked Paye coming out. However as Dungy said  history can tell u alot. Ballard's record of drafting Dlinemen sucks. So, I think people have less faith in Ballard then Paye.

Sorry, we disagree again.  The people who have less faith in Ballard literally don’t know the difference between their rear end and a hole in the wall. 

Ballard knows what he’s looking for.   So he traded for Buckner.   So he signed Houston.   So he signed Autry.   So he signed Muhammed.  So he signed Rochelle. 

As for drafting….   Turay has been hurt.   Lewis has improved as Ballard said he would in Y3 and 4.    Banogu was always going to be a project and need time and coaching. 

Paye and Dayo will hold the key for our future. 

Archived