Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Before everyone jumps off the cliff......

CR91

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL. Saying that someone else is worse, or another team got beat, when talking about Reich stinking, doesn't really address the original point of Reich stinking. It's deflection and spin. 

But I am somewhat happy TN lost. I just don't really care about them right now.

See you are even happy Tennessee lost Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC to East, I actually get what you are saying though. I am not happy at all with the way we played and we need to improve.

39 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It actually surprises me every time I see people blame our defense? 

Just because the result is a good day for Wilson doesn't mean our defense failed. Our D put together a string of stops in the second half of the game. Metkalf was shut out nearly.

The biggest gripe with the defense was the fact that Moore was not covering Lockett on either of his long catches. (We swapped away from this some in the second half).

The defense did everything they needed to do today for us to win. Our offensive playcalling was terrible for the first 80 percent of the game. The pass blocking was horrid. The vision by the backs was bad for most of the game. The offensive line had its worst game in the last 4 years. 

It was not our defenses fault. That's for sure. 

the pass rush was really bad when we did not blitz . paye , lewis played bad overall . 

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

In general I would agree. Typical rule is teams see their biggest week to week improvement from week 1 to week 2. But let's make no mistake, winning next week is paramount, considering the general odds on making the playoffs with an 0-2 start

With this team we are not avoiding 0-2 and probably going 1-4 in the first 5.

I think people just get to into the hype. We are not a super bowl contender yet. We got some good young talent. I think we will be competitive, maybe even make the playoffs. Should be a fun season as long as your not expecting to make deep into the playoffs this year. I think its still a couple years away

45 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It actually surprises me every time I see people blame our defense? 

Just because the result is a good day for Wilson doesn't mean our defense failed. Our D put together a string of stops in the second half of the game. Metkalf was shut out nearly.

The biggest gripe with the defense was the fact that Moore was not covering Lockett on either of his long catches. (We swapped away from this some in the second half).

The defense did everything they needed to do today for us to win. Our offensive playcalling was terrible for the first 80 percent of the game. The pass blocking was horrid. The vision by the backs was bad for most of the game. The offensive line had its worst game in the last 4 years. 

It was not our defenses fault. That's for sure. 

To say the defense has nothing to do with loss is laughable. Both sides take the blame in my opinion.  Can’t just play 1/2 a game of football. And yes, the o-line was having a rough day as well

33 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think the coaching was more concerned with how to cover up talent issues than figure out how to attack Seattle. The scheme was on it's heels after the first drive.

I don't think the scheme called for letting Lockett get a clean release and the Willis to be flat footed as he ran by him.    I'm not sure what Blackmons responsibility was on the play.    That was third and long

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the pass rush was really bad when we did not blitz . paye , lewis played bad overall . 

I thought paye played pretty well. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think the scheme called for letting Lockett get a clean release and the Willis to be flat footed as he ran by him.    I'm not sure what Blackmons responsibility was on the play.    That was third and long

I thought paye played pretty well. 

I don't get that play either. Lockett just ran and was wide open, Mike Pagel could've made that pass. That was so poor.

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Who is saying we needed to throw deep more?

Reich is mostly conservative except for 4th down calls.

Again, you're in the minority thinking there is nothing wrong with the play calling (not just the 4th down calls). The radio guys don't normally filet him like they did today. He's getting torched on twitter too. How many comments on this board have made the point?

Sometimes a duck is a duck.. 

Actually Coach Venturi who is on Colts radio finished the broadcast saying that Frank has got to get the ball downfield more to keep the defense honest. And yes the OL was terrible today but you can run max protect on a couple plays and send a couple guys downfield. 

11 minutes ago, masters1 said:

Actually Coach Venturi who is on Colts radio finished the broadcast saying that Frank has got to get the ball downfield more to keep the defense honest. And yes the OL was terrible today but you can run max protect on a couple plays and send a couple guys downfield. 

IF the OL can hold, then yes, absolutely. 

The OL didn't hold though... And our interior (especially) Kelly played bad, which chips don't help.

You can only call within what the OL allows. 

But yes, I want deeper stuff once the OL is corrected.

I agree its not quite time to jump off a cliff, but I think its time to put Frank Reich on notice.

Idk what his philosophy really is. He is too conservative most of the time. He comes out every single game with that run-run-pass nonsense and only adjust when it doesnt work and we are playing from behind.

He is aggressive at the wrong/oddest times. It strikes me as desperation almost every single time he does it.

He is way too impulsive. First he chooses to take the points after watching his team move the ball effectively for over 9 minutes and where a failure pins the opponent deep in thier own territory in a 0-0 tie....... Then he goes for it down 11 with less than a quarter to go after watching his OL struggle all night long when he couldve made it a one score game. wth? Makes zero sense. There is a time and place to be aggressive. That wasnt it. 

He almost tells the opposing team what he wants to do by his personnel groupings. Too many empty sets in short yardage situations for a run oriented team. 

Id love to see Taylor and Hines on the field together. Jet sweeps to Hines off a Taylor fake could be lethal. I dont think Ive ever seen them even try it. They might be your two best weapons. Use them properly.

They need to get more creative with Parris Cambell. Last year I remember them giving him some specific plays that I didnt see today. 

I dont mind if Frank wants to love TEs......but if he isnt gonna use them he needs to figure out a personnel grouping he can use to actually exploit a defense. I like Mo Alie Cox as a goaline TE,  but the defense doesnt really have to worry about him. Same for Jack Doyle. Jacks a solid player but he isnt striking fear into LBs either. When you take Hines or Campbell or Pascal off the field for them your just making it easier on the defense. 

I also wanna speak on the handling of Carson Wentz. Because I understand you dont wanna put too much on his shoulders too soon.

BUT......you traded for this guy for a reason.......you obviously think hes a player and can be a difference maker for your football team.....you put a C on his chest despite the fact he has barely practiced thus far.......so *it let the man be apart of the team and show him you believe in his ability. Because what you put him thru today was much much harder than just asking him to be a playmaker. And it doesnt show him you have confidence in him. You arent doing him any favors by trying to handle him with kid gloves and today was proof of that.

I also have a question for the analytics crowd who defend Reichs poor decision making........if analytics told you that you could go into the worst areas of Indianapolis and flash 100 dollar bills without getting yourself robbed most of the time.....does that mean its a good idea? Of course not. 

Not gonna jump off a cliff. I didn't expect we'd win.. we have such a freaking brutal schedule again. With the NFC West probably all being 1-0 today. We have no LT and our starting CB was out.

I think Wentz looked very good. I'm proud of him. But we obviously have to protect a bit better. 

I expect the same next week with an even better LA team coming to town

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

It makes me feel better knowing that Julio Jones didn't do much of anything. Everyone was saying how great the Titans were going to be with him on the team. It's only the first game, but still after the hype, he came down to earth. 

I never bought into them being a legit Super Bowl contender after the Julio trade. He is past his prime and Tennessee has huge question marks on the defense. 

Archived