Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Thomas starting CB ? / Pagano

CS Colts Fan

just got this off of Rotoworld: maybe Pagano and the coaches have seen some possibilities in Kevin Thomas. it will be interesting to see what happens with our people.. I still think we need a new shutdown corner

Kevin Thomas - DB - Colts

Colts CB Kevin Thomas has a chance to start opposite Jerraud Powers this season.

A third-round pick in 2010, Thomas has the size to fit what new coach Chuck Pagano wants to do defensively, but missed his entire rookie year to knee surgery and appeared in just nine games last season. First-year man Chris Rucker also projects for an expanded role following the departure of Jacob Lacey.

I think we have talent there..especially Rucker....and we can go with what we have...

We have to draft offense......we're painfully short on play makers..and we need a punt freturner now that we take special treams seriously

I think corner isnt a set position but there's talent already here

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well let me put it this way.. he's had two years so far to show his talents, he couldn't get on the field his first year. so he rehabbed and watched film (probably). second year he only had a couple good plays, really inconsistant, curtis painter is the same way. great players arent inconsistant, with all due respect i think you guys are in love with this guy for really no reason at all.

Wow, this is one of the most over all ridiculous posts I have ever seen. Great players are inconsistent especially in their 2nd years. Oh well, after that post I can tell it doesn't really matter what is said you will say the same things. Never mind little things like facts like the amount of targets in his zone were roughly half the amount of targets in the zone when Lacey was the starter or the average runs outside RT dropped 0.4 ypc with Thomas in there.

Lastly, no one said he was great, just that he showed flashes of being an excellent CB.

Wow, this is one of the most over all ridiculous posts I have ever seen. Great players are inconsistent especially in their 2nd years. Oh well, after that post I can tell it doesn't really matter what is said you will say the same things. Never mind little things like facts like the amount of targets in his zone were roughly half the amount of targets in the zone when Lacey was the starter or the average runs outside RT dropped 0.4 ypc with Thomas in there.

Lastly, no one said he was great, just that he showed flashes of being an excellent CB.

It does not get any better after a cup of coffee either.....HA HA!

You're right, that's my bad, but then I realize that he played under Rocky Seto, who also utilized a zone defense. So technically, I was right in the end. ;)

He only played under Rocky Seto for one season.....2009.

He played under Nick Holt from 2006-2008 (He missed the entire 2007 season due to injury)

Pete Carroll served as DC during Thomas' freshman season, when he played in 9 games.

He only played under Rocky Seto for one season.....2009.

He played under Nick Holt from 2006-2008 (He missed the entire 2007 season due to injury)

Pete Carroll served as DC during Thomas' freshman season, when he played in 9 games.

He had his best season in 2009. Nick Holt also ran a zone defense. USC has always ran a zone defense. I mean, I don't remember the last DC that ran a man D at USC.

Every zone defense can have man responsibilities in its intricacies, and vice versa too. Pagano likes to play man on the outside, zone inside, the Ravens did a lot of that when he was around and probably will continue to do so.

Ultimately, the coaching and how well a player can adapt is what it will be all about. A guy like Lacey, can take on a man responsibility in the slot as a nickel or dime CB because he can peek knowing that there is safety help. On the outside, however when he peeks when safety help takes more time to get to the outside, he ends up being called Mr. Toast. :)

no one said was great he JUST showed flashes of being an excellent CB. thats a bit of streach in my opinion, and i agree he's a imporvement over lacy, and i want to be wrong, i would love for thomas to be a great corner. BUT it seems like SOME of you gys on here are hyping him up a little bit too much.. but like i said, id love for him to be good, i just don't see it happening.

He had his best season in 2009. Nick Holt also ran a zone defense. USC has always ran a zone defense. I mean, I don't remember the last DC that ran a man D at USC.

Yeah, Holt ran a zone d (as did Carroll, obviously).

I was making sure to tell the whole story. I'm kind of annoying that way.

In the tape I saw of Thomas from college he seemed to me to be a cover corner not a zone, rally & hit guy. If he is a cover corner it will allow the staff to bring more people if necessary. He is coming off another year off the knee injury, I am willing to see what happens! I personally like Rucker better. More Physical. I still think you HAVE TO DRAFT A CORNER THOUGH.

In the tape I saw of Thomas from college he seemed to me to be a cover corner not a zone, rally & hit guy. If he is a cover corner it will allow the staff to bring more people if necessary. He is coming off another year off the knee injury, I am willing to see what happens! I personally like Rucker better. More Physical. I still think you HAVE TO DRAFT A CORNER THOUGH.

Agree Rucker is more aggressive..in the run game and in tackling. He is about the same height but a good 12lbs heavier. I think Rucker plays the slot receiver so he is able to help off on run support. I mean we HAVE to start Thomas because of our limited options but clearly we need to upgrade the secondary and looking at our draft visits suggest the coaches think the same way.

This is why I think all the Pagano talk on Thomas and Freeney is just talk. Trying to say something positive. If you look at who they are looking at in the draft it is clear they are looking for OLB/DE and CB. Positions they anticipate being a need and positions that Freeney/Thomas play. They say positive stuff on Donald Brown too so we will see how positive they are on him. If they bring a back in to compete then you know. I watch their actions and don't listen so much to their words because what are they going to do...tick off their starters at this point. No. They will continue to evaluate and bring in players to compete where they think we have needs.

Agree Rucker is more aggressive..in the run game and in tackling. He is about the same height but a good 12lbs heavier. I think Rucker plays the slot receiver so he is able to help off on run support. I mean we HAVE to start Thomas because of our limited options but clearly we need to upgrade the secondary and looking at our draft visits suggest the coaches think the same way.

This is why I think all the Pagano talk on Thomas and Freeney is just talk. Trying to say something positive. If you look at who they are looking at in the draft it is clear they are looking for OLB/DE and CB. Positions they anticipate being a need and positions that Freeney/Thomas play. They say positive stuff on Donald Brown too so we will see how positive they are on him. If they bring a back in to compete then you know. I watch their actions and don't listen so much to their words because what are they going to do...tick off their starters at this point. No. They will continue to evaluate and bring in players to compete where they think we have needs.

Exactly. About 99% of what is said in press conferences and interviews is simply for PR and says nothing about what they're really thinking. I don't believe for a second that Irsay ever "seriously" considered RG3. I still wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Freeney traded on draft day.

Do you have a list of visits that are or going to be made? I think they " the Staff " has respect for Freeney, & will see what happens could be good, not sure, Rucker I like cause he plays with a chip on hes shoulder, but still you have to draft one, Brown & Carter OK, still have to get maybe 2 more bodies in there. You will know more also about who the team is so so about were in the draft certain positions are taken.

I didn't really know what to expect of Rucker having never seen him play or even watched any highlights. And I was very surprised with his speed and fluidity for a corner his size. He was excellent and putting himself in the receivers hip pocket and running with him.

It's kind of funny in a sad sort of way, I think even with the change of regime several players from the 2011 are going to be excellent players for the Colts for a lot of years, AC and Big Ben are probably going to be the tackles for years, Nevis was a real find in the 3rd, whom I think will make an excellent DE in a 3-4 type D. Rucker is being discussed and if Carter can get over his fumble problem (which i think he will because that was something he took pride in, in college) he could easily be a 15-20 touch a game back. But Chris wanted too much power apparently.

I didn't really know what to expect of Rucker having never seen him play or even watched any highlights. And I was very surprised with his speed and fluidity for a corner his size. He was excellent and putting himself in the receivers hip pocket and running with him.

It's kind of funny in a sad sort of way, I think even with the change of regime several players from the 2011 are going to be excellent players for the Colts for a lot of years, AC and Big Ben are probably going to be the tackles for years, Nevis was a real find in the 3rd, whom I think will make an excellent DE in a 3-4 type D. Rucker is being discussed and if Carter can get over his fumble problem (which i think he will because that was something he took pride in, in college) he could easily be a 15-20 touch a game back. But Chris wanted too much power apparently.

Agreed, I think last years draft was our best in years. I think from what I heard that was the first draft controlled by Chris Pollian. I liked it. To bad for him may be his last? I think Bill was starting to get a little 2 cute drafting, like when he drafted 3 centers in 1 draft?????? Hey its a new era now though. I guess we will see! :eyebrow:

Do you have a list of visits that are or going to be made? I think they " the Staff " has respect for Freeney, & will see what happens could be good, not sure, Rucker I like cause he plays with a chip on hes shoulder, but still you have to draft one, Brown & Carter OK, still have to get maybe 2 more bodies in there. You will know more also about who the team is so so about were in the draft certain positions are taken.

It is in another thread on here. I think they respect Freeney a ton. That said he is making 19 million this year...and this is his last year on his contract. They have to think about replacing him.

I think they just realize that to fully transition to what we saw in Baltimore they will have to draft players that fit their scheme and they have targeted several olb/de in their visits and corners as well. Even if they take late round cbs and olb/de they are going to bring competition in.

It's pretty tough to evaluate players that haven't played in the system you plan to install

That is what scouts and coaches get paid to do. Unlike what most fans think, when they evaluate players they don't look at their stat sheets they look at their film. They are looking for how they handle blockers, how they hit the holes, how they drop back in coverage, their form while tackling, etc. But they can tell if a LB that has played in a 4-3 type D has the skills for what they need to do.