Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Thomas starting CB ? / Pagano

CS Colts Fan

just got this off of Rotoworld: maybe Pagano and the coaches have seen some possibilities in Kevin Thomas. it will be interesting to see what happens with our people.. I still think we need a new shutdown corner

Kevin Thomas - DB - Colts

Colts CB Kevin Thomas has a chance to start opposite Jerraud Powers this season.

A third-round pick in 2010, Thomas has the size to fit what new coach Chuck Pagano wants to do defensively, but missed his entire rookie year to knee surgery and appeared in just nine games last season. First-year man Chris Rucker also projects for an expanded role following the departure of Jacob Lacey.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thomas is a bad option at starter, and as of right now, I would rather have Rucker. He played well last year, he's a big guy, one of the biggest CBs in the NFL, and he can run with a lot of those guys. I like him over Thomas. Now, with that being said, the Colts need a #2 corner, or a future #1 like Jenkins. CB is arguably their biggest need.

I hear ya Andy..,, but I think our New Coaches are going to bring more out of our talent than we have seen in years.. I think the ones that they left go they didn't see them blending in and those who still have been signed and are FA.. they see options and are waiting for their value to drop and then they will keep them cheap! IMO

I think Thomas is a bad option at starter, and as of right now, I would rather have Rucker. He played well last year, he's a big guy, one of the biggest CBs in the NFL, and he can run with a lot of those guys. I like him over Thomas. Now, with that being said, the Colts need a #2 corner, or a future #1 like Jenkins. CB is arguably their biggest need.

to me a need is something where you have no other option at that position. TE is a need. CB we have options. give the kids more then one season before you throw them under the bus.

I agree to a point. If we can get Fleener @ 34 we do other wise.. go shotdown CB ( or as close as we can get ) and grab either Green in the 4th or Hanna on the 5th as a TE.. the talent drops way off from Flenner.. I have heard some analyst say that Fleener is actually more a 3rd round TE, but becuase of the limited TE's we have and the success that the Pat's and the saint's have had there is more demand on them now...

to me a need is something where you have no other option at that position. TE is a need. CB we have options. give the kids more then one season before you throw them under the bus.

We have essentially no options there, unless you want to bring a bunch of backups and tell them to start. We need starting cornerbacks, which makes the spot a need. I guess you and I have different definitions of need.

I disagree. I believe he will be a fine option as a starter. He might look like a twig but I believe he can actually play given the chance and not having to play 15 yards off all the time. He and Rucker should be a lot better this year with the new system. I believe we will all be surprised with how they adjust to the new system. CB is still a need, but I'm not for sure it has to be with the 2nd round pick. We might be able to find a good one in the 3rd round.

We have essentially no options there, unless you want to bring a bunch of backups and tell them to start. We need starting cornerbacks, which makes the spot a need. I guess you and I have different definitions of need.

your not giving them a chance. both thomas and rucker were rookies.

They all played 10-15 yards off. Nobody is going to look good playing 10-15 yards off. They need a fair shot at actually playing and this is their chance to do so. They both can prove their viable options with this fresh start and I believe they will step up and do so. If Janoris Jenkins dropped to us in the draft I'd hope the Colts took him and told Rucker and Thomas that they'll be competing with Jenkins for the #2 corner spot, but they should get a fair shot at starting since they have the tools to do so.

the bad news is we Don't have a Shutdown corner and that includes Powers... if Fleener is not there and as the draft comes closer I find myself leaning towards getting a shutdown corner if we have the chance and that will only happen ( if available) @ 34 there will not be a shutdown much further back IMO.. now there is still alot of talent out there in the 3rd, and 4th.. just not shutdown..

To be honest I think this is simply a coach trying to instill confidence in his team. As a rookie his play was ok. I don't think you can tell if he will be a long term answer...he definately won't be a shut down corner but heck there are only like 5 of those in the whole league. We probably won't every have one of those unless you draft one in the top 10 or just trip and fall on one. Personally...and this is just me but I don't really put a lot of stock in what he is saying...to me it could just be just posturing...we all know how quickly runs on positions happen in the nfl. If someone thinks someone is coming off the board then they trade up to jump ahead. If we act like we are happy with our corners than perhaps one falls to us because people think we will pass. That could be it. Honestly, I don't think we are tipping our hand on ANY position because we are hoping our guys fall to us and people don't jump ahead or take them thinking they won't be there later. No doubt we take a CB somewhere in the draft...just depends on who is on the board when we are picking wether we take one in round 2, 3, or 4. I can't see us not taking one in at least one of those rounds. If we wait til after that well then Pagano must REALLY like our guys lol because everything points to a need for depth and upgrade on the other side from Powers.

like your view... it is actually a potential way they are playing it.. the article did not say it was Pagano stating that it was just someone's opinion and viewing the cards they are seeing at this time.. IMO we will definitely draft a good CB.. maybe more than one

He had a good senior year at USC.

He had the knee injury his rookie season. Then our futile 2011 season I don't think we can judge him.

His senior year video. Only one I could find. He seems good in man. He had a little under one PD a game in his senior season, but he only got one Int in his college career. If we do get a shutdown corner I think he'll be bumped down to the nickle corner.

TE is a definite need, as we only have one.

CB, NT & DE are also needs.

If the coaches truly see something in what we have at corner, I'm all that much closer to believing we'll be going strictly for PBA, all day long.

Yes, that means we may have some holes.

However, we should have a decent draft position and a ton of cap space next year.

We'll be able to evaluate this year, the fill in with studs next year.

If we learnt anything from Tim Jennings playing much better with the Bears, it is that COACHING MATTERS.

That is why we have to give both Kevin Thomas and Chris Rucker a chance. I still think we go BPA without a specific position in mind for our No.34.

Starting with maybe No.65, we can draft for need.

I disagree. I believe he will be a fine option as a starter. He might look like a twig but I believe he can actually play given the chance and not having to play 15 yards off all the time. He and Rucker should be a lot better this year with the new system. I believe we will all be surprised with how they adjust to the new system. CB is still a need, but I'm not for sure it has to be with the 2nd round pick. We might be able to find a good one in the 3rd round.

your not giving them a chance. both thomas and rucker were rookies.

They all played 10-15 yards off. Nobody is going to look good playing 10-15 yards off. They need a fair shot at actually playing and this is their chance to do so. They both can prove their viable options with this fresh start and I believe they will step up and do so. If Janoris Jenkins dropped to us in the draft I'd hope the Colts took him and told Rucker and Thomas that they'll be competing with Jenkins for the #2 corner spot, but they should get a fair shot at starting since they have the tools to do so.

Ok ok ok...For starters, Thomas has never played in a man-to-man defense. He has no idea how to play. Now, yes Pagano could teach it to him, but why give the #2 CB spot to a guy who's learning man coverage, when you could draft a guy who has experience playing in it, and has exceeded in it. Thomas didn't even impress me that much at USC, where he played in a (guess what) TAMPA 2 with Monte Kiffin, but with a little more tweaks. Thomas was overrated coming out of college, he got an injury that hurts a lot of people, he looked awful in his first year, in a system that he's used to playing in, and now you guys what him to start because he deserves a chance? He got his chance and should have done pretty well, but he didn't do well. He actually looked awful on the field. He's not a good starter, and I would hate to have him as the starter. I have nothing against him, but he isn't a starter to me. He's a backup, and maybe over time he could learn and get better in man coverage.

I'll give Thomas this, if he can have an impressive training camp and use his skills properly, which means he becomes a press corner, then maybe he deserves a shot in the preseason.Even then, I still want the Colts to go out and draft 2 CBs, including one either of the top 4 rounds.

Ok ok ok...For starters, Thomas has never played in a man-to-man defense. He has no idea how to play. Now, yes Pagano could teach it to him, but why give the #2 CB spot to a guy who's learning man coverage, when you could draft a guy who has experience playing in it, and has exceeded in it. Thomas didn't even impress me that much at USC, where he played in a (guess what) TAMPA 2 with Monte Kiffin, but with a little more tweaks. Thomas was overrated coming out of college, he got an injury that hurts a lot of people, he looked awful in his first year, in a system that he's used to playing in, and now you guys what him to start because he deserves a chance? He got his chance and should have done pretty well, but he didn't do well. He actually looked awful on the field. He's not a good starter, and I would hate to have him as the starter. I have nothing against him, but he isn't a starter to me. He's a backup, and maybe over time he could learn and get better in man coverage.

I'll give Thomas this, if he can have an impressive training camp and use his skills properly, which means he becomes a press corner, then maybe he deserves a shot in the preseason.Even then, I still want the Colts to go out and draft 2 CBs, including one either of the top 4 rounds.

I agree to an extent. I feel Rucker has more Marlin Jackson like physical traits and physicality to be given a shot at the #2 CB over Kevin Thomas.

I agree to a point. If we can get Fleener @ 34 we do other wise.. go shotdown CB ( or as close as we can get ) and grab either Green in the 4th or Hanna on the 5th as a TE.. the talent drops way off from Flenner.. I have heard some analyst say that Fleener is actually more a 3rd round TE, but becuase of the limited TE's we have and the success that the Pat's and the saint's have had there is more demand on them now...

Why would the Colts draft Fleener and Green in the 2nd and 4th round? I mean, it's great for Luck, but they can't load up on TEs in a TE-terrible draft, and when they have many other needs.

He played well in man to man in college and ALL of our corners looked lost in the sauce running that vanilla defense last year!

He never played man in college. He played as a press corner who would drop back deep, that's called a zone defense. He played under Monte Kiffin, who is a zone defense guy.

Andy... my thought has been to get Fleener @ 34 because he and luck have Chemistry and we are in definite need a TE.. maybe I didn't word it correctly... I was thinking Fleener @ 34 if available.. but if not go CB... there are Green or Hanna in the later rounds we could get if we didn't get Fleener..... Am I putting to much credit towards Fleener?

my question is.. am I putting to much emphasis on Fleener @ 34 because of his and Luck's Chemistry and that we have the need.. should I look more at BPA ie... Cb @ 34 and get a TE in later rounds and not be concerned about the history/chemistry he and luck have ... maybe I am making to much out of this chemistry..

hope this is more understandable

Andy... my thought has been to get Fleener @ 34 because he and luck have Chemistry and we are in definite need a TE.. maybe I didn't word it correctly... I was thinking Fleener @ 34 if available.. but if not go CB... there are Green or Hanna in the later rounds we could get if we didn't get Fleener..... Am I putting to much credit towards Fleener?

my question is.. am I putting to much emphasis on Fleener @ 34 because of his and Luck's Chemistry and that we have the need.. should I look more at BPA ie... Cb @ 34 and get a TE in later rounds and not be concerned about the history/chemistry he and luck have ... maybe I am making to much out of this chemistry..

hope this is more understandable

No no no, I absolutely love Fleener and I've also been saying that he has great chemistry with Luck and together they can do really well. What I don't like is that we get Green too. I like the emphasis on TE, but going with another TE is a little much. Maybe draft a TE next year, where it's a good TE draft, but this year, we have so many needs and should use those middle rounds picks to address some of them.

I think if Fleener is there at 34, we should take him in a heartbeat. It fills a need, and he could become a great TE! I love the Fleener pick, not the Green pic.

again I wasn't wording it correctly.. I was NOT intending to get both.. guess we are both on the same page with Fleener.. thanks for the clarification about the chemistry...

I too think it would be Huge for both in their rookie years and with a team rebuilding..

sorry for the confusion

again I wasn't wording it correctly.. I was NOT intending to get both.. guess we are both on the same page with Fleener.. thanks for the clarification about the chemistry...

I too think it would be Huge for both in their rookie years and with a team rebuilding..

sorry for the confusion

No problem, just glad to see we're on the same page :thmup:

I thought kevin thomas was a good 3rd round pick but then he had that knee injury and i think he should be fully recovered and able to provide us with at least a #3 corner

In my opinion, I always thought he was overrated. I saw him as a middle rounds pick, and some mock drafts didn't even have him going in the top 5 rounds. Point is, we really stretched for Thomas, and so far it has not really paid off.

Don't get me wrong though, we've reached for a lot of players, and some of them have ended up well. Angerer was a big reach, but worth it. Addai was a reach, and it was worth it (imo), and the list goes on and on.

hope he falls to us.. if not we go get a shutdown CB ... then get TE later.. can't wait to see what we do during the draft.. gonna be a good year..

OBTW .. I was on coltsfan.com and they had tweets from a couple of the guys this week at practice and they are ALL PUMPED UP with the new D and coaches and atmosphere

We have to start another corner and I think it's pretty clear right now Rucker and Thomas would be competeing for the starting job. Last year was pretty much Thomas's rookie season due to his injury his real rookie year. Frankly I thought he made strides. If he improves as you would think a former third round pick would not unreasonable to think that he could be a decent corner for us along with Powers.

We have to start another corner and I think it's pretty clear right now Rucker and Thomas would be competeing for the starting job. Last year was pretty much Thomas's rookie season due to his injury his real rookie year. Frankly I thought he made strides. If he improves as you would think a former third round pick would not unreasonable to think that he could be a decent corner for us along with Powers.

Is it just me or do i remember Rucker getting burnt for td after td??? Rucker is very raw... If my memory serves correctly when healthy Thomas can lay the wood???? I dont recall Thomas getting burnt over the top like Rucker???