Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning HOF speech

Chrisaaron1023

He spoke fast and accurate and didn't miss a beat. I have never heard an ovation like that before a Hall of Fame speech in all my years of watching. People were even yelling MVP MVP MVP. Just amazing! There will never be another Peyton Manning. Us Colts fans are extremely lucky to have had him. Still unreal that we won 79.5% of our games from 2003-2009 (89-23) and won a SB in 2006 and went to two SB's, the other in 2009. When we lost a game in those seasons I was in shock because we rarely lost haha . I just expected victory every week lmao .

It felt like he rushed it because of the 6 minute time restraint.   Like dude,  you're Peyton F'ing Manning.   They aren't going to cut you off or go to commercial.   

As always he was a class act.   I could listen to him talk about football for hours.  You can tell how passionate he is about his family,  his coaches and teammates and just the game.     There will never be another Peyton manning. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It felt like he rushed it because of the 6 minute time restraint.   Like dude,  you're Peyton F'ing Manning.   They aren't going to cut you off or go to commercial.   

As always he was a class act.   I could listen to him talk about football for hours.  You can tell how passionate he is about his family,  his coaches and teammates and just the game.     There will never be another Peyton manning. 

and if they did go to commercial, it probably would have just been one of himhaha

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That is what I thought, he was very fast but he was rushed. You would think with it being Peyton they would've gave him more time.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I thought, he was very fast but he was rushed. You would think with it being Peyton they would've gave him more time.

They absolutely would have.   haha.  It just shows that he isn't full of himself and stuck to the guidelines given to him.    He could have been up there for half an hour.    The viewing audience wouldn't have went anywhere.   

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He proceeded to roast everyone before him that created the 6 min limit. Then went overhaha..

P.s. poor Tom Brady.. he should probably pull a TO. Because he may get booed at his own HOF induction

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

He proceeded to roast everyone before him that created the 6 min limit. Then went overhaha..

P.s. poor Tom Brady.. he should probably pull a TO. Because he may get booed at his own HOF induction

That was funny, Tom got booed haha . When Tom get enshrined probably in the year of 2040 lmao, hopefully for him there will be tons of Pats fans there.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was funny, Tom got booed haha . When Tom get enshrined probably in the year of 2040 lmao, hopefully for him there will be tons of Pats fans there.

Wes Welker might be on a Walker before Brady retires :)  j/k

This man played football in four states: Louisiana, Tennessee, Indiana, and Colorado.

He is, and will forever be, a beloved icon in all four.  And that’s all you really need to say.

We’re extremely blessed that he played longer here than anywhere else.  More than a great football player, he’s a great citizen and perhaps the greatest ambassador the game of football has ever seen.

So much depth and so much class even in a hurried up speech. It toned the excitement down a tad because so many sentences were extended applause worthy, and sad that it had to be rushed.

So proud of him being a Colt, he’s the reason I became a Colts fan when I moved from Albuquerque to Indy in 1999. Never felt like you were out of a game as long as he was playing QB.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Insane they only got 1 Super Bowl..

I hate to say it, but it’s undeniable.  For most of Peyton’s 14 year tenure in Indy, the Colts were the 2nd best franchise in the league.

It’s not a perfect analogy.  But it’s a bit like Phil Mickelson.  He’s one of the greatest golfers in history.  Unfortunately for him, most of his career overlapped with (arguably) the greatest.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 2005 and 2009 were shockers. We should've had 3 but 1 is better than 0, ask Dan Marino and Jim Kelly lmao .

I’m still not sure which one of those seasons depressed me more.  Probably ‘09 - I still think we could’ve and should’ve run the table that season.  But ‘05 was a heckuva letdown too.  Man that first half against Pittsburgh - still gives me nightmares.

10 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I hate to say it, but it’s undeniable.  For most of Peyton’s 14 year tenure in Indy, the Colts were the 2nd best franchise in the league.

It’s not a perfect analogy.  But it’s a bit like Phil Mickelson.  He’s one of the greatest golfers in history.  Unfortunately for him, most of his career overlapped with (arguably) the best.

Yep, in the NBA during the 90's Michael Jordan and his teams stopped many of great players of even getting 1 ring = Stockton and Malone, Barkley, and Reggie. Timing is huge sometimes. Peyton arguably was as great as Brady was but Brady's teams and coaches were better. Defense can win a QB a SB in some years, it did for the Pats in 2001, it did for Pitt in 2005 - Ben stunk in that SB, Eli's Defensive Line was insanely great in both his SB wins. You seen what Peyton did in Denver when he had a great defense, he could play like Trent Dilfer (be a game manager for a change) and win lmao . In 2006 our D stepped up but some act like they were why we won, not really because against the Pats they were average. Peyton played a perfect 2nd half in the AFC Title Game to pull that out. No Peyton, no ring here in Indy.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m still not sure which one of those seasons depressed me more.  Probably ‘09 - I still think we could’ve and should’ve run the table that season.  But ‘05 was a heckuva letdown too.  Man that first half against Pittsburgh - still gives me nightmares.

The only real bad play I have ever seen prime Peyton make was that INT in the 09 SB but that was a combination of Reggie running a lazy route as well. I have watched that play at least 100 times and Reggie didn't slant early enough, timing was off. To me that was more shocking. Had we even scored there the game would've been just tied at 24-24. The way Brees was carving up our D, they probably still win on a last second FG which would've been worse. Having said that losing in 2005 was so upsetting that I didn't watch football or any highlights until the SB that season. It was like 3 weeks. Then I watched the REFS literally steal the SB away from Seattle and hand it to Pitt, that was a joke of a game.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

So much depth and so much class even in a hurried up speech. It toned the excitement down a tad because so many sentences were extended applause worthy, and sad that it had to be rushed.

So proud of him being a Colt, he’s the reason I became a Colts fan when I moved from Albuquerque to Indy in 1999. Never felt like you were out of a game as long as he was playing QB.

The thing is, the time was paused for applause and emotional moments and all them went long anyway. Peyton just wanted to try to stick in the time

I just made me realize how much I miss him just being part of the franchise.  I wish Irsay could find a way to bring him back into the fold on a full time basis.  I doubt Irsay would do it but sell him a small part of the team and put him in the front office to learn from Ballard but that sets Ballard up to be replaced and will create a storm of when is Manning taking over questions.  Also I doubt Irsay would sell anyone a part of the team.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I just made me realize how much I miss him just being part of the franchise.  I wish Irsay could find a way to bring him back into the fold on a full time basis.  I doubt Irsay would do it but sell him a small part of the team and put him in the front office to learn from Ballard but that sets Ballard up to be replaced and will create a storm of when is Manning taking over questions.  Also I doubt Irsay would sell anyone a part of the team.

This will never happen and I am not sure he would even want to do it but if Peyton could own the Colts (have the position Irsay has now) our franchise would flourish for the next 20 years, keep Ballard as GM. Irsay would have to retire and then money becomes an issue + I know Irsay wants his daughters to own the team when he does retire - so get all of that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This will never happen and I am not sure he would even want to do it but if Peyton could own the Colts (have the position Irsay has now) our franchise would flourish for the next 20 years, keep Ballard as GM. Irsay would have to retire and then money becomes an issue + I know Irsay wants his daughters to own the team when he does retire - so get all of that.

Can’t see this happening.

For one thing, Peyton couldn’t afford it - not on his own, anyway.  For another, it’s clear Irsay has laid the groundwork for the daughters (likely led by Carli) to take it over.  There’s no indication they aren’t interested in maintaining ownership.  And, lastly, Irsay himself is still only in his early 60s.

If Peyton were to get involved in an ownership group, I’d say it’s far more likely to be with the Broncos.  Bowlen is dead and his estate still owns the team through a trust.  He had 7 kids, but the trust (and team) is controlled by Joe Ellis.  That seems like a much less stable ownership situation.

Plus, Peyton still lives in Denver.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else got annoyed by Brady booing? I get it was a joke, but I didn't appreciate it.

I did.. i kinda felt bad for him there. He turns around and plays it off mouthing "what's up with that?!" but that's just over the top.. Peyton's joke was funny and true. Dude ain't ever retiring and when he does it'll be a virtual ceremony for the HOF lmao 

25 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

He’d probly spend his 6 minutes reading a childrens book to the crowd and crying doing so!

Yeah, and then he'd call you out of the audience and bounce you on his lap while he read you yet another children's book. "Oh IndyEric07, what a fan you were"

Archived