Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darnold Trade Fallout

I remember seeing some kind of article or graphic a while back showing all of the repercussions of the Nelson/Darnold draft day trade. It showed everything that the Colts got in return up to that point so it included all future picks and players that came from that original trade. 

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I can't seem to find it again.

31 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I remember seeing some kind of article or graphic a while back showing all of the repercussions of the Nelson/Darnold draft day trade. It showed everything that the Colts got in return up to that point so it included all future picks and players that came from that original trade. 

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I can't seem to find it again.

I don't have a graphic of it but i believe the finally net result was that the Jets got 1.03 (Darnold) and the Colts turned their resulting picks from the trade into:

OG Quenton Nelson

OT Braden Smith

DE Kemoko Turay

RB Jordan Wilkins 

CB Rock Ya-Sin

This includes their trade down w the Eagles from 49 to 52 that netted them Turay and Wilkins in that instance.

48 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I don't have a graphic of it but i believe the finally net result was that the Jets got 1.03 (Darnold) and the Colts turned their resulting picks from the trade into:

OG Quenton Nelson

OT Braden Smith

DE Kemoko Turay

RB Jordan Wilkins 

CB Rock Ya-Sin

This includes their trade down w the Eagles from 49 to 52 that netted them Turay and Wilkins in that instance.

Thanks for this! Maybe it also includes the Colts own picks because I remember there being more than this.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Life will come a full circle if we get Sam Darnold for a 3rd rounder, moving up to a conditional 2nd. :) 

Watching a lot of delusion from Jets fans thinking they can bump that to a 1st rounder. No way on Earth is he worth a first. Your compensation range is the right one.

4 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Watching a lot of delusion from Jets fans thinking they can bump that to a 1st rounder. No way on Earth is he worth a first. Your compensation range is the right one.

Of course, we would take a 1st rounder for Darius Leonard if someone offered it, that is what fans are sometimes, dreamers!!!

Some get to the center to be realistic, others remain fanatics!!! :) 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Of course, we would take a 1st rounder for Darius Leonard if someone offered it, that is what fans are sometimes, dreamers!!!

Granted, although like George Costanza theorizing that he could trade for Griffey and Bonds, NY sports fans don't deal with certain realities. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wouldn't trade Leonard for a first! I don't think you can say no to two firsts but I don't see the benefit of trading him for one. The chances you get a player anywhere near as good are miniscule.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

if it is a top 5 1st, sure id take it

26 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I wouldn't trade Leonard for a first! I don't think you can say no to two firsts but I don't see the benefit of trading him for one. The chances you get a player anywhere near as good are miniscule.

what if that number one was for Trevor Lawerence...

40 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

You won't get a first for Leonard, IMO. But this was just chosen as an example, maybe a bad one. :) 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Why wouldn't you get a first for one of top LB's and a perennial All-Pro??

I truly believe his play can be overcome with a slightly lesser LB than replacing Buckner, IMO, so if I am a GM, I would not give up a 1st for that. With good DL play, I can embellish a good LB to be a very good LB. However, with bad DL play, even a very good LB can end up being just good.

If someone is offering a 1st rounder for Darius Leonard, I would grab it before they change their mind, IMO. Even one of the best, Ray Lewis, when he did not have Haloti Ngata and/or good DL play, could only do so much.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I truly believe his play can be overcome with a slightly lesser LB than replacing Buckner, IMO, so if I am a GM, I would not give up a 1st for that. With good DL play, I can embellish a good LB to be a very good LB. However, with bad DL play, even a very good LB can end up being just good.

If someone is offering a 1st rounder for Darius Leonard, I would grab it before they change their mind, IMO. Even one of the best, Ray Lewis, when he did not have Haloti Ngata and/or good DL play, could only do so much.

Who wouldn't give a 1st round pick for maniac and why? Dude is a 3x all pro Linebacker who is on track to being one of the best to ever play at his position. As long as he stays healthy, he's only just getting started and the best is yet to come. You're telling me a team who have weak Linebackers like the Eagles wouldn't offer a 1st for him? 

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Who wouldn't give a 1st round pick for maniac and why? Dude is a 3x all pro Linebacker who is on track to being one of the best to ever play at his position. As long as he stays healthy, he's only just getting started and the best is yet to come. You're telling me a team who have weak Linebackers like the Eagles wouldn't offer a 1st for him? 

When we see those trades now  its for linebackers with high sack numbers  like Khalil Mack. 

I think you could get a 1st for Leonard now, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as high as Philadelphia's #6 overall.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

This is clearly hypothetical but

I would trade Leonard for 1 in a heartbeat 

To be clear, I normally wouldn't advocate it, but when you have limited draft capital and IF they want to move up to take a qb, then hard evaluations like this must be done

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I wouldn't trade Leonard for a #1 pick...but of course it depends on where in the first round the said pick would be? And if you could parlay it with other picks to get a QB like Fields.

But say a mid round #1, like 15 overall I would rather have the Maniac then the 15th overall pick.

Exactly it would have to be with the goal of getting the qb you want. 

There is some merit to the idea of trading one of their young studs for draft capital (or in place of it)...as part of a deal for a QB trade up. There is an added bonus that you don’t have to pay the contract as well...which frees up money to replace that player or improve other positions.

Between Leonard and DeFo...that’s an easy call. There are talented and very athletic WILLs coming out every year. I think the Colts would have a much easier time replacing some of Leonard’s performance than DeFo’s.

But I don’t see Ballard trading him.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, chad72 said:

Yeah...Leonard is about to get paid as well. Getting a 1st round pick from a team that knows they have to pay a WILL upwards of $20M/year might be a stretch. It would almost certainly be a later 1st round pick. A team isn’t going to trade away a top 15 pick when they can likely just draft a Devin White or Devin Bush type and have him cheap for a few years.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

There is some merit to the idea of trading one of their young studs for draft capital (or in place of it)...as part of a deal for a QB trade up. There is an added bonus that you don’t have to pay the contract as well...which frees up money to replace that player or improve other positions.

Between Leonard and DeFo...that’s an easy call. There are talented and very athletic WILLs coming out every year. I think the Colts would have a much easier time replacing some of Leonard’s performance than DeFo’s.

But I don’t see Ballard trading him.

Yep, we’re on the same page.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, Mackrel829 said:

Hmmmmm.  I would consider it.  I think lbs in this system can b found past the 1st round. Of course it depends on how high the 1st rounder is. Plus,Leonard is going to demand bib..big money very soon

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmm.  I would consider it.  I think lbs in this system can b found past the 1st round. Of course it depends on how high the 1st rounder is. Plus,Leonard is going to demand bib..big money very soon

if it helps secure a franchise qb im fine trading him away

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

if it helps secure a franchise qb im fine trading him away

I was a Stafford fan early in his career. I soured on him as he got older. I am fine with moving forward with Eason unless Reich has no confidence in him. Cannon arm and more mobile than people give him credit for. Love his physical traits and  he was apparently working his butt off. Willing to give Ballard and Reich a pass if they do and Eason fails. Its time this year to roll with Eason and then if the Colts say finish 5 and 11, they r in much better situation to get their guy in the 2022 draft.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was a Stafford fan early in his career. I soured on him as he got older. I am fine with moving forward with Eason unless Reich has no confidence in him. Cannon arm and more mobile than people give him credit for. Love his physical traits and  he was apparently working his butt off. Willing to give Ballard and Reich a pass if they do and Eason fails. Its time this year to roll with Eason and then if the Colts say finish 5 and 11, they r in much better situation to get their guy in the 2022 draft.

I never said the trade had to be Stafford. Colts could potentially move up by adding Leonard and couple picks to entice someone. 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I never said the trade had to be Stafford. Colts could potentially move up by adding Leonard and couple picks to entice someone. 

Yup. U have to think outside the box. That being said, I dont think a lot of teams value Leonard as much as the Colts due. He is a typical under sized Tampa 2 line backer. Plus, he is going to want some big money

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Who are the potential QB’s in the 2022 draft?  Any candidates like Fields, Lawrence, or Wilson?

Archived