Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Resign / Let walk

Resigning/Let walk:

Hilton: Let walk as much as it pains me to say. He's not the threat he once was, not bad, but I think in TYs mind he still views himself as a #1, and will likely want to be paid like one. For that reason, I'd move on, unless he's willing to take #2 money.

Brissett: Let walk. Let Eason take over as backup.

Rivers: Let walk. Thought he had a great year, but realistically at his age, you can only expect regression.

Mack: Can't imagine there would be a huge market for him. Knowing how the colts treat their players, likely a one year league min deal, or a tryout atleast to give him a shot to battle for the #3 role.

Autry: I'd bring him back. I think he's arguably one of the most underrated players on our defense. So versatile, can play anywhere on the line and produce, great against the run and can pass rush.

Houston: Realistically it will be either Autry or Houston. Ask me mid season it would have been Houston for sure. Atm, I'd prefer Autry, although wouldn't be surprised if they chose Houston do to his leadership.

Rhodes: Had a great year reuniting with his previous coaches. Give him the Desir deal.

Hooker: Best for both parties to move on at this point.

Walker: I would have liked to keep him around on a team friendly deal, but based on his twitter, he's 100% gone. Liked a couple tweets of colts fans telling him to leave, his dads account liked them too. Mix that with him implying he wasn't really happy not starting anymore, he'll likely go elsewhere.

Clark: Let walk, for obvious reasons.

Wilson: Maybe bring back on a tryout or league minimum.

Carrie: Loved his game this year, was arguably our 3rd best db this year. Bring him back.

Burton: Was very mediocre. Let walk.

AQM: I like him in a rotation role on the edge, resign.

Green: Let walk

Veldheer: Resign if he's not retiring again.

As for the QB situation, I'd be willing to give up our 1st round pick this year for Stafford. He's still young enough you can compete with him for more then a few years. Stick with Eason for another year, see if the coaches like the progress, and make your move in the draft when the time comes. (I don't like any of the QBs in our range personally.)

Rivers - Re-sign for 1 year, at a little less than the $25m we paid this year for his services

Brissett - Let go, draft a QB in Round 1 if possible

Hilton - Re-sign on a 2 or 3 year deal (2 years guaranteed)

Autry - Re-sign on a 2 year deal 

Houston - Let go, draft or sign a replacement in the FA. Houston was good here in Indy, but he is declining now.

Rhodes - Re-sign, similar deal to Hilton

Mack - Let go

Hooker - Let go, draft a back up to Blackmon in the mid rounds of draft

Walker - Let go, draft a back up to Okereke in the mid rounds of the draft

Clark - Let go, draft a back up to Castanzo in the mid rounds of the draft

Wilson - Let go, sign a better player in the FA

Carrie - Re-sign 1 or 2 year deal

Burton - Let go, draft or sign a better player

Muhammad - Re-sign

Cox - Re-sign

Green - Let go

Veldheer Re-sign on a 1 year deal

If TY Hilton and Justin Houston agree to a nice 1 year deal, I would bring them back. Let TY retire a Colt. I thought he and Rivers were finding nice chemistry the last few games of the season. TY had a bad playoff game but wasn't targeted much either. He still can play good ball. Houston looks to me like he has plenty in the tank. He can still rush the passer really well. 

Let JB walk, that will be 20,000,000 dollars of the book. I would bring Rivers back for 1 more year at 25 Mill again, Eason would be my backup. We would have pretty much our same core team with a possibly a healthy Campbell. I would draft a LT with our first pick - AC looks done, a Pass Rusher with our 2nd pick. The team was good this year with who have already but will be better with another draft. I can't see Rivers playing better than he did but I doubt he plays worse either. He was good for the most part and played good Saturday. JT will even be better next season with a year under his belt which will even help Rivers more. Pittman will be better as well. The Bills got lucky to beat us, they caught a lot of breaks like recovering their fumble and the offsides on Turay giving them 7 points, + Blakenship's missed chip shot. If we had lost something like 38-10 I would think differently about Rivers but that game could've went either way.

2 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Resigning/Let walk:

Hilton: Let walk as much as it pains me to say. He's not the threat he once was, not bad, but I think in TYs mind he still views himself as a #1, and will likely want to be paid like one. For that reason, I'd move on, unless he's willing to take #2 money.

Keep him. Depending on the price. 

Brissett: Let walk. Let Eason take over as backup.

Let him walk... or keep him as a backup/competition for our QB of the future on small contract.

Rivers: Let walk. Thought he had a great year, but realistically at his age, you can only expect regression.

Keep him as a bridge if we draft our QB of the future, or let him retire if we get a better/younger starting QB. 

Mack: Can't imagine there would be a huge market for him. Knowing how the colts treat their players, likely a one year league min deal, or a tryout atleast to give him a shot to battle for the #3 role.

Keep him... depending on the price. 

Autry: I'd bring him back. I think he's arguably one of the most underrated players on our defense. So versatile, can play anywhere on the line and produce, great against the run and can pass rush.

...Let him go. 

Houston: Realistically it will be either Autry or Houston. Ask me mid season it would have been Houston for sure. Atm, I'd prefer Autry, although wouldn't be surprised if they chose Houston do to his leadership.

Keep him... depending on price. 

Rhodes: Had a great year reuniting with his previous coaches. Give him the Desir deal.

Agree. Keep him.

Hooker: Best for both parties to move on at this point.

Let him flourish(or fail) elsewhere.

Walker: I would have liked to keep him around on a team friendly deal, but based on his twitter, he's 100% gone. Liked a couple tweets of colts fans telling him to leave, his dads account liked them too. Mix that with him implying he wasn't really happy not starting anymore, he'll likely go elsewhere.

Let him go. I don't see him as essential part of this team. 

Clark: Let walk, for obvious reasons.

Let him walk. Or keep him as depth on small contract.

Wilson: Maybe bring back on a tryout or league minimum.

Yah... I don't mind it either way. 

Carrie: Loved his game this year, was arguably our 3rd best db this year. Bring him back.

Let him go. 

Burton: Was very mediocre. Let walk.

Let him go... or keep him if he doesn't mind the minimum.

AQM: I like him in a rotation role on the edge, resign.

Let him go... or keep him if he wants to stay for close to minimum

Green: Let walk

Let him go. 

Veldheer: Resign if he's not retiring again.

Agree. Or let him go. I don't mind either way. 

As for the QB situation, I'd be willing to give up our 1st round pick this year for Stafford. He's still young enough you can compete with him for more then a few years. Stick with Eason for another year, see if the coaches like the progress, and make your move in the draft when the time comes. (I don't like any of the QBs in our range personally.)

I want us to go for QB in the draft (high), unless they think Eason is the guy. 

2 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m torn on Hooker. I don’t mind if he goes...but I also wouldn’t mind if he was brought back on a cheap deal, the injuries bother me, but I still think he could be a solid piece to the D if he could get and stay healthy for a while.

I think with the emergence of Blackmon, there's no way Hooker stays. He'd be signing on to effectively be a backup here. I think there will be a few teams willing to sign him to at least a 1 year prove it where he'd have an opportunity to actually compete for the starting position and probably in a scheme that better suits his talents.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think with the emergence of Blackmon, there's no way Hooker stays. He'd be signing on to effectively be a backup here. I think there will be a few teams willing to sign him to at least a 1 year prove it where he'd have an opportunity to actually compete for the starting position and probably in a scheme that better suits his talents.

I pretty much agree, which is why I’m fine with moving on. I just feel like he could have helped the back

end of the D this year, had he been 100% healthy, with some

of the long explosive plays that the D was susceptible too. 

Call me crazy, I just see him as a player that is going to sign a prove it deal...and he will prove it. Or maybe not, maybe he gets injured again and is out of the league soon. I know our scheme changed, I still feel like health has been his biggest weakness, not scheme. Is what it is, I’m not trying to dig up the old draft position value and scheme debate so I’m good with dropping this now. Just wanted to say I still think he is a good player, and could be for this D, if he can get healthy.

51 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I pretty much agree, which is why I’m fine with moving on. I just feel like he could have helped the back

end of the D this year, had he been 100% healthy, with some

of the long explosive plays that the D was susceptible too. 

Call me crazy, I just see him as a player that is going to sign a prove it deal...and he will prove it. Or maybe not, maybe he gets injured again and is out of the league soon. I know our scheme changed, I still feel like health has been his biggest weakness, not scheme. Is what it is, I’m not trying to dig up the old draft position value and scheme debate so I’m good with dropping this now. Just wanted to say I still think he is a good player, and could be for this D, if he can get healthy.

I can absolutely agree with that. I really like Hooker as a player and think he has the speed that would've helped erase some of the deep balls that killed us at times. His health really is the biggest knock at this point and I think he he signs with a team that runs a scheme that lets him play single-high and he can stay healthy, he'll excel.

I wouldn't say no if he wanted to come back on a cheap prove it deal, because I think while his talent isn't maximized in our scheme, he still helps the secondary. I just doubt that will happen, especially since he seemed to feel some kind of way about us not picking up his 5th year option.

My favorite one so far. It matches up with what I expect & want. I agree with the Houston and Hilton walking unless they take a significant pay cut. We have to get younger and more explosive at both WR & Edge. Dupree/Yannick/Judon & JuJu/draft pick/Agholor are great options. 

We may stick with Rivers, but he is highly unlikely to play at the level he did this year. I think we are a playoff team with him, but clearly are not SB contenders. 

Hilton:  Undecided about him. With Leonard and Big Q still the face of the franchise. But he is clearly declining and probably want's way too much money I'm willing to give him. 

Brissett: What a great guy but he is not the answer on the QB position. Let him walk.

Rivers:  Undecided. He is a 40 year old veteran that still plays on a good level but he is also feeling his age and if you plan to be a contender Rivers isn't getting you a ring. As a bridge QB for another year he would be good a lot will depend on which options are available and at what price. I would love Matt Stafford but not willing to give up a ransom. 

Mack:  Let him test the market and resign him for a cheap deal if nobody wants him. 

Autry: I would resign him as he has similar stats as Houston but is probably cheaper and more versatile than him.

Houston:  I wouldn't mind to keep him either but he is 31 years old I wouldn't give up too much. 

Rhodes: Colts don't have much at the CB position. Resign him.

Hooker: Let him go. 

Walker: Let him go.

Clark: Let him go.

Wilson: Let him go.

Carrie: Resign he is probably not asking for much.

Burton: Let him go.

AQM: Let him go.

Green: Let him go. 

Veldheer: Colts need to address the OT position if they don't want to repeat old mistakes. Castonzos future is uncertain even if he decides to come back for another year or two we need a long term replacement for him and quality depth which we just don't have right at the moment. 

Rivers: He isn't signing with anyone else sounds like, so keep him in your back pocket go through FA and explore our options at QB position after the draft if we don't like our options then resign him.

Brissett: I just don't see him coming back as a backup

Hilton: Sign Hilton to a one year deal

Autry: resign 

Houston: I think we have to walk away from Houston, and explore other options

Rhodes: I'm not sure, I would like to resign him but it can't be a high paying

Mack: I love Mack great player and locker room leader but I just can't justify resigning him to be the third string RB when cap room will be limited.

Hooker: He will probably want a fresh start elsewhere, let him walk

Walker: Same as Mack, I would like to resign him but this years cap would make it difficult.

Clark: Time to move on from Clark we need a future starter not a average to below average backup

Carrie: Let him walk, Tell will be coming back and he's a cheaper option, and I just don't see us resigning him and rhodes and probably adding another in the draft.

Burton: Good gadget player but we need a real threat at TE. Let him walk

Muhammad: good depth, resign

Allie-Cox: good depth, and hopefully he continues to improve.

Veldheer: most likely gonna go back to being retired

Rivers: Walk away

Brissett: Walk away

Hilton: Sign Hilton to a one year deal

Autry: Resign

Houston: Walkaway

Rhodes: Resign one yr

Mack: Walkaway-JT is #1 now

Hooker: Walkaway

Walker: Walkaway

Clark: Walkaway

Carrie: Maybe one-yr deal

Burton: Walkaway

Muhammad: Resign, I agree

Allie-Cox: Resign

Veldheer: Good back up to Castonzo, resign for one-yr deal

FA is going to be flooded with many high quality veteran players after teams struggle to get to the new cap.  We will have no problem signing any of our FA's that we want to sign.  More FA players than dollars to go around in the league next year.  We will be viewed as SB contenders and players will want to come here.  We are in a great position cap wise.  I'm expecting TY to sign for sure and very team friendly.  Autry and Rhodes as well.  But I think we will also sign a new WR1. and a new ER.  This is the year to find those two missing pieces in FA and I think we will.  If they want Rivers back so be it but Stafford would be a fantastic upgrade if everything fell into place so we could make it happen.   Looking forward to the off season.  FA comes first.    Our success there will shape our draft.  JMO

56.7m cap space 2021

AC – must retire – free up 16m more in cap space

72.7m cap space 2021

FA Signings

Steelers LCB Mike Hilton 5m

Steelers RCB Cameron Sutton 4m better in man but shows good feel for the zone game.  Played 53.2% on Defense while another 41.2% on ST in 2020 

Autry – cut - Muhammad should start

Hooker – cut We have Ibraheim Campbell as 3rd FS / SS backup assume

Rhodes – cut played 87% snaps can we afford 9m to resign played on a 1.5m contract

Clark – Cut wanted to retire RT

Wilson STP – cut

Houston 1 / 10m - Is Ben Banogu ready to start? Imo no

Carrie STP 1 / 2m – solid back  

Hunt 2 /950k  

Green LT/STP 2 / 950k

Burton 1 / 3.5m – played 33% of snaps

Smith ERFA 1 / 850 k STP

Stallworth - 1 / 750 k * updated colts already extended

Walker JR – 2 / 4m - Issue here - We need a QB, WRs, LT, DBs.  Low priority sad to say resign

MAC – 2 yr / 5m

Pascal RFA retain and pay 2 year / 7.7m or place 2nd Round tender 3.42m due to age

Muhammad (starter) – 4 / 3m with Turay as 2nd RDE

Mack 3/2m

Odum 27 yo STP RFA UDFA 1.2m or original tender 2.24m

Dulin 2 / 1m STP *update Colts already extended

Here is the issue most are overlooking.  Now down to 25.08m in cap space and generally need 10m in reserves for draft and what ifs during the season.  Can not see Hilton taking half a pay cut.  We may lose Pascal with a 2nd Round tender or simply place a 1st for 4.87m to keep him or try to get another end of 2nd Round comp pick for a younger WR with more talent?

Based on what we done to retain most of the players above we can not afford to resign Rivers or any major QB this off-season.  Don't see much choice but to resign Brissett for another year and start him.  We may get lucky and draft a QB in Round 1 but in all reality looks like DE or CB and Round 2 LT with RFA option comp pick and draft younger WR.

Brissett – if resign pay backup salary as a starter 1 year / 8m

Rivers – let him retire coach HS FB

Hilton cut or offer big salary cut to 1 year / 7m from his 14m – which I don’t see happening

On 1/11/2021 at 12:15 PM, stitches said:

Keep him. Depending on the price. 

Let him walk... or keep him as a backup/competition for our QB of the future on small contract.

Keep him as a bridge if we draft our QB of the future, or let him retire if we get a better/younger starting QB. 

Keep him... depending on the price. 

...Let him go. 

Keep him... depending on price. 

Agree. Keep him.

Let him flourish(or fail) elsewhere.

Let him go. I don't see him as essential part of this team. 

Let him walk. Or keep him as depth on small contract.

Yah... I don't mind it either way. 

Let him go. 

Let him go... or keep him if he doesn't mind the minimum.

Let him go... or keep him if he wants to stay for close to minimum

Let him go. 

Agree. Or let him go. I don't mind either way. 

I want us to go for QB in the draft (high), unless they think Eason is the guy. 

Interesting to me...not that you’re wrong, just how differently we see Autry.   

You’d re-sign Houston and Rhodes, players of similar age, but deem Autry expendable.  For me Autry is the disruptive force to our defense second only to Buckner and Leonard.

I’d re-sign Houston and Rhodes too, but only after Autry was secured 

Personally, and this won't be a popular position amongst my fellow fans - I would re-sign NONE of them!

I would give them the opportunity to explore their very best deal and ask them to consult with me (if I were Ballard) before signing.

What this does is the following:

1. Set their market value so we don't overpay.

2. Let's us know they truly want to be a Colt IF THEY give us a chance to match.

3. If they sign elsewhere for a decent contract then we stand to earn comp picks in 2022.

Rivers - He'll likely Retire

Brissett - He wants to be a starter

Hilton - He'll ask for too much money - aka paying for past production not future gains

Houston - Same as Hilton

Autry - Will seek his first BIG contract

Hooker - He'll want to start and get his BIG contract

Rhodes - See Hilton

Clark - His replacement is on the roster in O'Donnell or many of the other Tackles

Wilson - Nick Nelson and/or Roderic Teamer are already on the roster

Carrie - Tell will be back to replace him

Burton - Have Doyle and Cox plus about 4 TE's capable of replacing him on the roster

Green - See Clark

Hunt - See Pinter

Mack - He'll want to start and get his BIG contract

Walker - He'll want to start and get his BIG contract

AQM - He'll want to start and get his BIG contract

Archived