Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unfortunately the colts may not make the playoffs

coltsorioles

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Two weeks to go, and can be either #2 or left out... Bizarre year of parity in the AFC. Jax loss hurts...

Eh, to me it only hurts the same as the other losses.   Maybe less because it was the first game of the season without pre-season and a new QB.  Also because several of our losses give other teams the tiebreaker on us.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pittsburgh can still get #1. Buffalo can't because they lost their head to head with the Chiefs.

It's a crazy year.

Yup, and who would have guessed a 3 game slide for PItt. Or Balt looking outside in. Or Cleveland in a position to say "HA". 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, and who would have guessed a 3 game slide for PItt. Or Balt looking outside in. Or Cleveland in a position to say "HA". 

Honestly  it may be best if the dolphins  win out to keep the ravens out of the playoffs 

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Eh, to me it only hurts the same as the other losses.   Maybe less because it was the first game of the season without pre-season and a new QB.  Also because several of our losses give other teams the tiebreaker on us.

LOL, the Jax loss give TN the tie breaker dude. If we didn't lose that game, not only are we a game up, but we'd have the same DIV record, and a better conference record. 

Folks that diminish that loss don't really understand the tie breakers. That's all on top of the fact it was to a 1 win team, and should have been our easiest W of the year.

LOL, the Jax loss give TN the tie breaker dude. If we didn't lose that game, not only are we a game up, but we'd have the same DIV record, and a better conference record. 

Folks that diminish that loss don't really understand the tie breakers. That's all on top of the fact it was to a 1 win team, and should have been our easiest W of the year.

If we swept the Titans the Jags loss wouldn't matter. Actually if you change any of our losses to a win, we'd be first place in the division.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Honestly  it may be best if the dolphins  win out to keep the ravens out of the playoffs 

Kinda. Only if we win out lol...

IIRC, if Miami and Balt win out, and we lose 1, we're bumped.

And I'm not afraid of Balt. Our D played too soft IMO. But the bigger thing IIRC, is that both JT and Hines were gimpy, and only combined for under 10 carries. Pretty sure Wilkins was RB1, and even he was gimpy. That was on top of TY being out and MAC hurt.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

If we swept the Titans the Jags loss wouldn't matter. Actually if you change any of our losses to a win, we'd be first place in the division.

TN wasn't, and shouldn't have been, and easy win. All losses are created equal on the W/L column, but some are a lot more unacceptable than others. And the ultra horrible game plan week 1, which was completely avoidable, makes it more unacceptable. 

I would rather have the loss to the Titans have been a win than the Jags game.  

Actually a Ravens or Browns win would have us up 1 game in the division too.  

6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.  

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

TN wasn't, and shouldn't have been, and easy win. All losses are created equal on the W/L column, but some are a lot more unacceptable than others. And the ultra horrible game plan week 1, which was completely avoidable, makes it more unacceptable. 

I feel like that's kind of the point he was making. Everyone zeroes in on that Jags loss because it's the least defensible loss on the schedule -- Browns are good, Ravens are good, Titans are good -- but switch any of those Ls to a W and we're in first place. So tracking back to that one loss is mostly a gut response. The most meaningful loss is actually the Titans -- change that one and we're 1.5 up in the division, with two to go.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

For Pitt to go 12-4, they either have to beat us this week or Cleveland next week. If we don't win out, we can't get to #2, so that means we need to beat Pitt, then need Pitt to beat Cleveland next week, then we have at least one game on Cleveland + the head to head tie breaker over Pitt.

Yes, Pitt losing last night made my scenario impossible. 

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would rather have the loss to the Titans have been a win than the Jags game.  

Actually a Ravens or Browns win would have us up 1 game in the division too.  

6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.  

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel like that's kind of the point he was making. Everyone zeroes in on that Jags loss because it's the least defensible loss on the schedule -- Browns are good, Ravens are good, Titans are good -- but switch any of those Ls to a W and we're in first place. So tracking back to that one loss is mostly a gut response. The most meaningful loss is actually the Titans -- change that one and we're 1.5 up in the division, with two to go.

What's worse, missing a layup, or a half court shot?

Some things are just more "bad", or more unacceptable. I could toss out a lot of "pure math" things. Not trying to be argumentative, but simply clarify my point...  What's worse, a 65 year old that dies in their sleep, or one that gets beaten, robbed, and killed. They both died (so the same, right?), but one is more bad than the other.

It's not "gut" like reactionary. If we're being intellectually honest, it's almost impossible to defend going air raid with a new QB, covid camp, no preseason, etc.. against a team that was historically and currently as bad against the run as they are.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Some things are just more "bad", or more unacceptable. I could toss out a lot of "pure math" things. Not trying to be argumentative, but simply clarify my point...  What's worse, a 65 year old that dies in their sleep, or one that gets beaten, robbed, and killed. They both died (so the same, right?), but one is more bad than the other.

It's not "gut" like reactionary. If we're being intellectually honest, it's almost impossible to defend going air raid with a new QB, covid camp, no preseason, etc.. against a team that was historically and currently as bad against the run as they are.

I just think the first game against a divisional opponent in the covid season wasn't as bad as it looks on paper.  No rapport developed between the QB and receivers.   I admit the "D" was horrendous.   Now if we do it again the last game, it will be inexcusable.   

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All that's true. (We could talk about no preseason, new QB, bad tackling, etc., but that doesn't change that we shouldn't have lost that game.)

But this is a thread about the mathematical possibilities of the Colts getting into the playoffs. I viewed Myles' comment through that lens. And in that discussion, the Jags loss isn't the most meaningful loss of the season, even though people keep bringing it up as if it is.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pittsburgh can still get #1. Buffalo can't because they lost their head to head with the Chiefs.

It's a crazy year.

How appropriate for 2020

Just now, Superman said:

All that's true. (We could talk about no preseason, new QB, bad tackling, etc., but that doesn't change that we shouldn't have lost that game.)

But this is a thread about the mathematical possibilities of the Colts getting into the playoffs. I viewed Myles' comment through that lens. And in that discussion, the Jags loss isn't the most meaningful loss of the season, even though people keep bringing it up as if it is.

Yep. The only loss that really has us on the ropes is the TN loss. Period

The colts are actually favored over Pittsburgh by 1 1/2.    But when a team plays terrible on a Monday they usually play well the following Sunday. And I believe without looking this up the colts have only won once at Pittsburgh since the 60's.   As a lifelong and diehard colts fan this game worries me. Teams play different from week to week. Hopefully Miami will lose on Saturday , because if they win and Baltimore wins this week and the colts lose , the Colts do not control their destiny.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I just think the first game against a divisional opponent in the covid season wasn't as bad as it looks on paper.  No rapport developed between the QB and receivers.   I admit the "D" was horrendous.   Now if we do it again the last game, it will be inexcusable.   

Playing against a division foe is never a cake walk. 

Colts have a history of dropping their first game of the season and that just didn't start with the Jags this season. 

Maybe if we could open at home once in a century would help? :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, coltsorioles said:

The colts are actually favored over Pittsburgh by 1 1/2.    But when a team plays terrible on a Monday they usually play well the following Sunday. And I believe without looking this up the colts have only won once at Pittsburgh since the 60's.   As a lifelong and diehard colts fan this game worries me. Teams play different from week to week. Hopefully Miami will lose on Saturday , because if they win and Baltimore wins this week and the colts lose , the Colts do not control their destiny.

Yeah, unless the Steelers are completely falling apart from the inside, they'll be much more prepared this week than they were last night. Usually, it takes a bad team, a bad QB, or a bad coach to lose four in a row at any point in the season. 

I think the betting line is about the fact that no one wants to touch the Steelers right now. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it start to lean in their direction closer to Sunday.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree that a W in that game (TN) is huge, and would be mathematically and tie breaker wise, a better game to win. No doubt. It's just that sweeping the Titans was never expected, at least by the overwhelming majority. It was expected by most talking heads, most lines makers, etc, that we sweep the Jags.

At the end of the day, my only point is that when you lose a game that you should unquestionably win, and lose it because of bad decisions (coaching or play), it hurts more. Just like beating the Chiefs or Pitt, feels better than beating the Bengals.

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

The bolded is absolutely why the L was so avoidable. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, unless the Steelers are completely falling apart from the inside, they'll be much more prepared this week than they were last night. Usually, it takes a bad team, a bad QB, or a bad coach to lose four in a row at any point in the season. 

I think the betting line is about the fact that no one wants to touch the Steelers right now. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it start to lean in their direction closer to Sunday.

What a colossal, and historic slide would that be if they lost the next two games. From undefeated and first, to possibly out of the playoffs all together. 

I wouldn't touch any Pitt games the rest of the year.

The Steelers losing helped the colts now the bills can’t rest starters against the dolphins. The bills have the tie breaker over Steelers if the Steelers beat us the bills need to win to keep 2 seed now .  So bills can’t rest their starters now that Steelers lost . This is meant to happen it’s a sign that the colts will win a ring this year . 

21 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm playing with the machine right now, and that one isn't even as crazy a scenario as I thought. If we win out, and Buffalo loses out, and the Browns and Titans both lose at least one of their remaining games, we'd get the #2 spot. So we have to finish ahead of those three teams.

Probably not gonna happen, and getting #2 isn't as big a prize as it used to be.

I wouldn't mind having 2 games in the play offs at home.  Seems like a big deal to me.  But it's beyond our control.  The biggest hurdle I see is the Patriots playing spoiler to the Bills.  Miami would have to beat the Bills to keep their playoff hopes alive if we win out.  I can see Titans losing to GB and the Steelers beating the Browns.  I just hope we beat the Steelers because they will be HIGHLY motivated to beat us.  I'm thinking hot rod saves the day with a game winner against them. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yeah, losing to the Browns, Ravens, and Titans are all understandable.  Losing to the Jags is not.  

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah, losing to the Browns, Ravens, and Titans are all understandable.  Losing to the Jags is not.  

I think that's the point EastStreet was trying to make. Yes, it was the first game of the season.  And yes, the Tenn. loss meant much more because of when it happened and what was a stake. But the Jags game was a mess; their only win of the year, and the Colts played terribly on both sides of the ball. Everyone else had a shortened training camp and no preseason. That's not an excuse for getting outcoached and outplayed by the Jags, a bottom feeder team. 

Now, do I think the Jags will beat the Colts again? Nope. The Colts have clearly improved as a team, and the offense, when unchained from Reich's brain spasms, is much improved. They'll have their hands full this Sunday, though. No dumb mistakes.... and Frank and Flus need to bring their A games. 

let it go GIF

Get over it. What good does worrying about the 1st game of the year accomplish?

Nothing anyone will say can change it. Its done.

Just something to complain about, how about focusing on what is in front of us, which is our own destiny that we control.

The only loss that would matter now, would be in the future, not the past.

This Is Stupid Basketball Wives GIF by VH1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

let it go GIF

Just something to complain about, how about focusing on what is in front of us, which is our own destiny that we control.

:rollseyes:

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Eh think about it, we win that TN game and we all but wrap up the division and definitely wrap up at least a playoff spot. 

it was more important than the Jags game. Hands down

You might want to look at the standings, and also the tie breaker rules.

Had we won vs the Jags, we'd be a game up (record) and winning the AFCS, same DIV and CONF records, and better record vs common opponents. Even if we lost to Pitt, they still have to go to GB and Houston. A loss to either would keep them a game behind, and a loss to Houston, would put them behind (or same if we lost to Pitt), but we'd still win the TB.

You could also say the loss to the Browns and Balt were as important, as a win over either would put us a similar situation, and actually more important given the TBs they own (if you want to talk about pure playoff chances). 

All of the losses were "important". Only one was unacceptable. 

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

let it go GIF

Fans focusing on what's in front of us has no bearing on the outcome. Unless someone has some type of superpower, or knows a ref to bribe?

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

:rollseyes:

That was pretty cool, and yet more of a waste of time.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Fans focusing on what's in front of us has no bearing on the outcome. Unless someone has some type of superpower, or knows a ref to bribe?

So fans focusing on the past has bearing on the future outcome? Didn't think so. It is pointless, nothing can be changed about it. Just complaining to complain.

Everyone still going to complain if we win division or make the playoffs? Or you going to look ahead to the playoff game?

Complaining about an outcome that no one knows at this point is meaningless.

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All of the losses were "important". Only one was unacceptable. 

Just my opinion and you have yours but I consider it more acceptable than you.  Still shouldn't have happened.

The Colts have a history of losing the first game.  It was the 2013 season when they last started with a win.

It was a road game against a divisional opponent.

New QB with limited training camp and no pre season.  

For these reasons, it doesn't bother me as much as some.   Still sucks and was a bad loss though.  The way we came and played against the Titans bothered me more because the season was over half way over and the play, the play calling and motivation wasn't there.  

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

That was pretty cool, and yet more of a waste of time.

So fans focusing on the past has bearing on the future outcome? Didn't think so. It is pointless, nothing can be changed about it. Just complaining to complain.

Everyone still going to complain if we win division or make the playoffs? Or you going to look ahead to the playoff game?

Complaining about an outcome that no one knows at this point is meaningless.

Point is, what fans focus on, has no bearing. It's a discussion board. 

Some folks will sunshine pump, some negative nancies, some stats, some.... x infitnite.

If it mattered, this would be me focusing on what's in front of us, and making a hole for JT come Sunday.

X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-Magneto-France

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Just my opinion and you have yours but I consider it more acceptable than you.  Still shouldn't have happened.

The Colts have a history of losing the first game.  It was the 2013 season when they last started with a win.

It was a road game against a divisional opponent.

New QB with limited training camp and no pre season.  

For these reasons, it doesn't bother me as much as some.   Still sucks and was a bad loss though.  The way we came and played against the Titans bothered me more because the season was over half way over and the play, the play calling and motivation wasn't there.  

Yup, it's just an opinion. We all have things that bother us to some degree, or differently. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's true, I wasn't thinking about the second home game. Of course, to get it you have to win the first one.

If we're going to the promised land, we gotta win out at that point so yup.  I just hope we go on a 6 game win streak from now until February :D!

Archived