Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stafford to SF is fine by me. But I hate that DET is now QB needy an sitting within striking distance.

As I have been saying...I think it's going to be a draft trade up OR Darnold. They are the cheap upside plays out there.

Stafford was an upgrade over Rivers...but likely a lateral move WITHOUT going all in...and that would be very difficult to do with trading for Stafford. There are big plans for this offseason.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

CRAP

If it is for the 49ers 2021 2nd, 3rd, and 2022 3rd (say), I am thinking Ballard would take some flak for not stepping up to the plate. 

A 1st and 3rd from us with a future 3rd should have been on the table, IMO. I would really be bummed if Ballard couldn't pull this off.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Well, that would suck.

YEP.  Without Stafford our probability of even making the playoffs drops dramatically.  We barely made it this year as an extra seed.  A rookie certainly won't get it done and I don't see any of the other potential QB's that are realistic possibilities getting it done with the possible exception of Darnold.  Carr would but he's probably staying.   I see the strong possibility of a lost season coming up.  

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If it is for the 49ers 2021 2nd, 3rd, and 2022 3rd (say), I am thinking Ballard would take some flak for not stepping up to the plate. 

A 1st and 3rd from us with a future 3rd should have been on the table, IMO. I would really be bummed if Ballard couldn't pull this off.

Nah Ballard shouldn't get hate

Just now, richard pallo said:

YEP.  Without Stafford our probability of even making the playoffs drops dramatically.  We barely made it this year as an extra seed.  A rookie certainly won't get it done and I don't see any of the other potential QB's that are realistic possibilities getting it done with the possible exception of Darnold.  Carr would but he's probably staying.   I see the strong possibility of a lost season coming up.  

Why are you so sure a rookie can't lead us to playoffs?

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Nah Ballard shouldn't get hate

I am sure, whatever he is doing, he is doing with the blessing of Irsay and has a plan in place. 

Sometimes, I think we Colts fans take things for granted with QB play, and don't know what it is like to be in QB purgatory like so many other teams like the Browns and Bills faced till they broke through this year. 

Jaguars drafting Lawrence

Jets will keep Darnold 

Falcons are stuck with Ryan

Lions and Panthers will draft QB

(Fields and Wilson)

49ers if they get Stafford aren't drafting QB

Only other possible are Bears WFT and NE 

I'm willing to bet 2/3 won't take QBs

Jones or Lance should be there at 21

Jets will keep Darnold 

(Fields and Wilson)

You forgot, Eagles are keeping Wentz. :) 

...and we should have kept Rivers....:peek:

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wouldn't be surprised, Ballard doesn't like giving draft picks up, so if it became a bidding war I can easily see him walk away.

Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, that's just who he is

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If it is for 2021 2nd, 3rd, and 2022 3rd (say), I am thinking Ballard would take some flak for not stepping up to the plate. 

For sure.  He will take a tremendous amount of flak for not stepping up to the plate.  And he should.  It will be interesting to see him try and put a positive spin on this.   He needs a big rabbit out of the hat to save face. Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve.   He has some esplannin to do.  

Just now, Zoltan said:

I wouldn't be surprised, Ballard doesn't like giving draft picks up, so if it became a bidding war I can easily see him walk away.

I trust Ballard to nail his picks 

He's had about 60+ % success rate on picks 

I don't know the exact number 

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Can't have champagne taste and not the budget. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

For sure.  He will take a tremendous amount of flak for not stepping up to the plate.  And he should.  It will be interesting to see him try and put a positive spin on this.   He needs a big rabbit out of the hat to save face. Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve.   He has some esplannin to do.  

If he didn't have luck in the past and nail hid picks i would agree but he's done very well so shouldn't get any hate

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For sure.  He will take a tremendous amount of flak for not stepping up to the plate.  And he should.  It will be interesting to see him try and put a positive spin on this.   He needs a big rabbit out of the hat to save face. Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve.   He has some explaining to do.  

...now the mystery around Rivers' departure will loom larger if he was forced out without a plan in hand???

I trust Ballard to nail his picks 

He's had about 60+ % success rate on picks 

I don't know the exact number 

I agree, I've noticed though some people saying we need to trade a bunch a picks and I just don't see Ballard doing it

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I hope you are right. How on earth are those big plans going to materialize without a good trigger man? 

Stafford wasn't the only trigger man though. It just would be very difficult for them to do what they want this offseason with draft capital AND huge cap space going to Stafford. But I don't even necessarily think Stafford is dead...but it's looking like it could be SF.

And it makes sense. SF's roster is really strong...definitely stronger than the Colts. Their defense (f healthy) is a top unit...and they can plug Stafford into an offense with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle...and go. They were a SB team with Jimmy G...and now the offense will be even better with Aiyuk and Stafford.

I think the Colts want to spend in FA and get some cost control and upside at QB. 

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets will keep Darnold 

(Fields and Wilson)

Who cares?  Really.  You think we're making the playoffs with those two guys.  The only reason we made it this year was because of Rivers experience in recognizing defenses and changing plays at the LOS.  They don't have prayer in making the playoffs this year.  Even Lawrence or Fields will have a rough go.  10 or 11 wins with one of those rookies?  Don't see it.  

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets will keep Darnold 

(Fields and Wilson)

Seems like wishful thinking. Jacksonville, NY Jets, Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina, Denver, San Francisco, New England, Chicago, and Washington all have QB needs to a varying degree and all pick before the Colts. Outside of maybe Ryan, there’s no incumbent starter on any of those teams that would preclude them front drafting a QB of the future. Pittsburgh and New Orleans also need a future QB and could be in the market to trade up in front of Indy too. 

Even with Stafford and potentially Watson available for trade, if we want one of the top 4/5 QBs, we’re likely going to have to move up to get him. 

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jets will keep Darnold 

(Fields and Wilson)

Watson deal will shake things up for sure. HOU will instantly become the most QB needy franchise in the NFL...and they will have the draft capital to get one this offseason. Though they could do something stupid and trade for a proven vet.

I don't think any of the top 4 QBs are getting out of the top 5 picks. What non-QB prospects are teams going to value enough to take over a QB (if they need one) OR to trade back with a team that does? Sewell? Those WRs will certainly go off board...but I think it will be in the 6-10 range.

The only way the Colts can get up there is a trade with the NYJ or MIA...so probably very unlikely...but I wish it weren't.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Watson deal will shake things up for sure. HOU will instantly become the most QB needy franchise in the NFL...and they will have the draft capital to get one this offseason. Though they could do something stupid and trade for a proven vet.

I don't think any of the top 4 QBs are getting out of the top 5 picks. What non-QB prospects are teams going to value enough to take over a QB (if they need one) OR to trade back with a team that does? Sewell? Those WRs will certainly go off board...but I think it will be in the 6-10 range.

The only way the Colts can get up there is a trade with the NYJ or MIA...so probably very unlikely...but I wish it weren't.

I highly doubt 4 QBs will go top 5

I can barely see 2 going that high 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Jets would be foolish not to take a QB with weaker draft classes coming up.

If we do a trade for Darnold, I would not do it until draft day, and we might just get him for a 3rd if that were the case. Let him duke it out with Eason for the starting job and we go from there.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

until Watson is for sure traded nothing is for sure right now 

Just now, chad72 said:

Jets would be foolish not to take a QB with weaker draft classes coming up.

If we do a trade for Darnold, I would not do it until draft day, and we might just get him for a 3rd if that were the case. Let him duke it out with Eason for the starting job and we go from there.

it would be a cheap smart move 

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yep, a lost season.   There have been very few rookie QB's who led their teams to the playoffs.   2021 will be a lost season for the Colts if they start a draft pick QB.  

Archived