Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

it would be a cheap smart move 

The only issue is not getting a QB before free agency. If we are not going for any WRs in free agency, that would make a lot of sense, waiting till the draft. Getting defensive players and OT can be done in free agency, regardless of QB.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how good people are at reaching conclusions, based on absolutely no information at all.    First, we were definitely getting Stafford. Now, we're definitely not. (And we will definite

Stafford was always my #1 choice among veteran options. (He was my preferred choice last offseason, someone posted a poll and I picked him.)   I'M ALL IN ON STAFFORD YALL.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BSteph1 said:

Seems like wishful thinking. Jacksonville, NY Jets, Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina, Denver, San Francisco, New England, Chicago, and Washington all have QB needs to a varying degree and all pick before the Colts. Outside of maybe Ryan, there’s no incumbent starter on any of those teams that would preclude them front drafting a QB of the future. Pittsburgh and New Orleans also need a future QB and could be in the market to trade up in front of Indy too. 

Even with Stafford and potentially Watson available for trade, if we want one of the top 4/5 QBs, we’re likely going to have to move up to get him. 

It is wishful thinking...the Colts have to get in the top 5.

But on the plus side, it seems like the draft talent is pretty bunched up after a handful of guys. You have Sewell, the top 2 WRs and then maybe a guy like Surtain. Ideally, a team trading out wants to be able to limit how far they go back so they can still get an elite prospect. But this a weird offseason...and there aren't many of those guys.

So while the Colts are at a disadvantage sitting at #21 (vs. a team sitting at #8-10)...it might not be as big of a disadvantage as a typical year. So perhaps the Colts would be able to make up that difference in future draft capital (or player talent)...at least in a more reasonable manner.

I think whatever happens with Watson is gonna shape how the QB situation in the draft plays out.  If he goes to the Jets or Dolphins.  It’s a near certainty that the Texans would take Fields or Wilson.  So that means we’d have Lawrence and either Fields or Wilson in our division for the next decade.  

We need for Watson to go to an NFC team.  From there our next biggest obstacle is the Falcons.  If they somehow bypass a QB, I think we move up to 6th (Eagles) and take whichever QB is remaining between Fields or Wilson.  That would mean the top 3 QB’s from this draft would all land in the AFC South.  That would be a QB row to rival the NFC West before Jimmy G & Goff tapered off. 

If we don't get Stafford I'm putting my bet on Darnold coming to the Colts.  He would give us a fighting chance to make the playoffs and his contract and the draft capital it will take has BALLARD written all over it.  Maybe we get lucky with him like the Titans with Tannehill. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think whatever happens with Watson is gonna shape how the QB situation in the draft plays out.  If he goes to the Jets or Dolphins.  It’s a near certainty that the Texans would take Fields or Wilson.  So that means we’d have Lawrence and either Fields or Wilson in our division for the next decade.  

We need for Watson to go to an NFC team.  From there our next biggest obstacle is the Falcons.  If they somehow bypass a QB, I think we move up to 6th (Eagles) and take whichever QB is remaining between Fields or Wilson.  That would mean the top 3 QB’s from this draft would all land in the AFC South.  That would be a QB row to rival the NFC West before Jimmy G & Goff tapered off. 

What do you think it will take to move up to 6th from 21?

I'm guessing:

21st pick

54th pick

84th pick

2022 2nd round pick

2022 3rd round pick

Maybe more.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we don't get Stafford I'm putting my bet on Darnold coming to the Colts.  He would give us a fighting chance to make the playoffs and his contract and the draft capital it will take has BALLARD written all over it.  Maybe we get lucky with him like the Titans with Tannehill. 

Colts have shot at playoffs with Darnold but not with a rookie who could possibly be better?

Just now, Myles said:

I'm guessing:

21st pick

54th pick

84th pick

2022 2nd round pick

2022 3rd round pick

Maybe more.

way too much 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

1st and 2nd rounder from 2021

and

1st and 3rd rounder in 2022

That would be the starting point, IMO.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You may not be far off with the fact that both Tannehill and Darnold were rotting under Adam Gase's incompetence. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kenyan Drake are other examples.

Plus, LeVeon Bell joins Adam Gase and his career seems to be shot, while DaVante Parker and the entire Dolphins team seems renewed once Adam Gase leaves.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What has Darnold ever done to say he’d give us a fighting chance to make the playoffs over guys like Brisset and Eason?  Darnold would have to improve every facet of his game to just become an average QB. He seems like a guy destined to and ready to become a backup. 

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Im sure its more of the fact the Lions are going to send his team of preference. If SF is it, it sounds like they are accommodating him?

especially if you believe that the Colts' #21 this year and, say, potential #2 or #3 next year are more valuable than any of the draft capital SF is apparently offering, particularly w/ Stafford presumably leading the 49ers to a pretty high finish in the 2022 season

sounds to me like the Ford family is really trying to reward Stafford for all he's done and had to put up with in Detroit by trading him to the destination of his choice--and his #1 choice is Shanahan Francisco.

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

What has Darnold ever done to say he’d give us a fighting chance to make the playoffs over guys like Brisset and Eason?  Darnold would have to improve every facet of his game to just become an average QB. He seems like a guy destined to and ready to become a backup. 

That is why you don't give up more than a 3rd rounder for him and let him fight it out under Eason. The last stretch of few games, when he did not turn the ball over, the Jets beat the Rams and Browns. You have to play the odds if you are not willing to part with draft capital.

• Like 1
Just now, chad72 said:

...to who for whom??

To Philly for the 6th Pick.  Figured the connection with Sirianni plus him kinda knowing the players would make it a great spot for us to move up. 

36 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Stafford wasn't the only trigger man though. It just would be very difficult for them to do what they want this offseason with draft capital AND huge cap space going to Stafford. But I don't even necessarily think Stafford is dead...but it's looking like it could be SF.

And it makes sense. SF's roster is really strong...definitely stronger than the Colts. Their defense (f healthy) is a top unit...and they can plug Stafford into an offense with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle...and go. They were a SB team with Jimmy G...and now the offense will be even better with Aiyuk and Stafford.

I think the Colts want to spend in FA and get some cost control and upside at QB. 

except that the 49ers' offensive line is garbage when it comes to pass protection

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

To Philly for the 6th Pick.  Figured the connection with Sirianni plus him kinda knowing the players would make it a great spot for us to move up. 

They will still want another first rounder. Nice try...they will say.

Sirianni is not even close to pulling the strings there...he is a fledgling there.

Just now, chad72 said:

They will still want another first rounder. Nice try...they will say.

Sirianni is not even close to pulling the strings there...he is a fledgling there.

including, I suspect, picking their starting QB

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

How about our 1st & 3rd from this year.  Okereke. Wilkins. And our 1st from next year. 

Trading two of young players and a draft pick to get a Qb makes a lot of sense, IMO.  But I don't think a third string RB has much trade value.  More like Oke and either Tyquan or RYS.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen is filling in on JMV. He repeated he has heard for months the colts love Justin Fields.

Who doesn't?  They probably love Trevor Lawrence too.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Only way we get him is trade into top 10

It’s possible Ballard has info from agents on where he will go. This happened with Mahomes. KC knew exactly where they needed to trade up to. His agent wanted him to go to KC. Matter of fact NO was going to take Mahomes with the pick right after KC picked Mahomes.

• Like 1

Just a note, but if I were giving up a 1 & a 2 or 3, even though Stafford has 2 years left on his contract, I’d want a negotiated extension in place for 2 years after that, so you’re getting him for a minimum of 4 years.  Don’t think I’d pull the trigger without an extension negotiated. Just not going to give away those premium picks for only a 2 year rental. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don't think is trading out of that spot. They have to take one of the WRs. 

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Only way we get him is trade into top 10

We could certainly get into the top 10 to get Fields if we wanted. It would take our 1st, next year's first and maybe a mid round pick or two. I would love getting Fields! Would open up so many possibilities on the offense making it even more dangerous. And I prefer going this route as opposed to trading a bunch of picks to get a 33 year old Stafford.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Rumor is SF is offering 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders - how does that compare to a Colts offer of 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd rounder next year?

I feel like the Lions want multiple picks this year and high enough value next year too. Or is this just a game for the Lions to get more?

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We could certainly get into the top 10 to get him if we wanted. It would take our 1st, next year's first and maybe a mid pick or two. I would love getting Fields! Would open up so many possibilities on the offense making it even more dangerous. 

if you pick Fields IMO you're no longer in a legit "win now" mode; he's a developmental guy with a very high ceiling who simply won't be ready in 2021

on the other hand, w/ Fields maybe immediately replacing Castonzo can take a temporary back seat to finding another edge rusher, WR or CB first?

Just now, poilucelt said:

if you pick Fields IMO you're no longer in a legit "win now" mode; he's a developmental guy with a very high ceiling who simply won't be ready in 2022

on the other hand, w/ Fields maybe immediately replacing Castonzo can take a temporary back seat to finding another edge rusher, WR or CB first?

With Reich who is great with QBs, I think Fields would succeed sooner rather than later. He could easily have a Justin Herbert type impact on this offense with Reich and Brady coaching him. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

if you pick Fields IMO you're no longer in a legit "win now" mode; he's a developmental guy with a very high ceiling who simply won't be ready in 2021

With Fields i feel you could play him right away.  With someone like Lance with little games played he needs time.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With Reich who is great with QBs, I think Fields would succeed sooner rather than later. He could easily have a Justin Herbert type impact on this offense with Reich and Brady coaching him. 

seriousy doubt it IN 2021 based on what I saw from Fields this season, but given the division the Colts are in, who knows?

if nothing else, his mobility could make left tackle somewhat less urgent than it would be with, for example, Stafford, and allow Ballard to look for a promising edge rusher, wr or cb in Round 2 (if he still has that pick)

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Rumor is SF is offering 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders - how does that compare to a Colts offer of 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd rounder next year?

I feel like the Lions want multiple picks this year and high enough value next year too. Or is this just a game for the Lions to get more?

Are you speculating about what a Colts' offer might be?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen is filling in on JMV. He repeated he has heard for months the colts love Justin Fields.

It's a smokescreen for their interest in Wilson. Drafting an OSU QB is just tempting fate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So does Bowen.

FWIW.. I don't really- he wasn't the best QB on the field against IU for one..  and I don't think he'd be there unless Ballard is giving away picks that are more valuable than what SF is giving up for Stafford.

Not digging the intimations of things to come. We'll see. 

8 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It's a smokescreen for their interest in Wilson. Drafting an OSU QB is just tempting fate.

Best Ohio State QB at the pro level.. Craig Krenzel? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

seriousy doubt it IN 2021 based on what I saw from Fields this season, but given the division the Colts are in, who knows?

if nothing else, his mobility could make left tackle somewhat less urgent than it would be with, for example, Stafford, and allow Ballard to look for a promising edge rusher, wr or cb in Round 2 (if he still has that pick)

If Jacoby could take a less talented team to 7-9, I think Fields could come in and win 9 games.  I could even see him pull a Luck and go 10-6 and get us to the dance if our running game clicks like I think it would.  Plus TY’s effectiveness on the deep balls return.  Stretching the field and creating more lanes for Taylor & Hines.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would gladly trade up to 14 to get Jones. Vikings are there currently. 

while I don't share your enthusiasm re: Jones (I'd sooner draft Newman w/ #54 than Jones in Round One), a move from #21 to #14 would certainly be less expensive than up to #6, #4, or #2

the Vikes may feel they could get a player they like just as much at #21 as one at #14--plus, say, an additional 3rd?

or maybe they're actually looking to move Cousins and draft Jones themselves?

• Like 1